• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded it but waiting for that next gen update.

Same, I'm itching to go back but gotta wait another week for the patch :/ Shame they didn't have it ready to go as soon as the show dropped. Oh well.

Bethesda games always get this weird thought process from people. "look I played this game for 500 hours but it is so boring. Nothing to do. Everything is the same. Bad game!"

I mean it couldn't be that you played it so much you naturally got bored with it. No, it is the game that is the problem.

Look I love pizza but if I ate it for 500 meals straight I would probably hate it for a while.

I call it the Star Wars Paradox - ie when the most hardcore, devoted fans of something are simultaneously the ones who hate it the most.

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/Helexzura/status/1780029722803450089?t=sEdcM71L3smiZKoTBQURRA&s=19

For real, I've avoided Fallout 4 for a long time, because I kept hearing left and right that it sucks, one day, by chance, I found a cheap used copy of it,

Ended up playing over 150 hours of it, even got into the settlement building mechanic

This tweet is spot on even for Era. People claim 4 isn't even a RPG, which is frankly so idiotic not even worth the time responding to.

Even NV has weak spots for me. The ending is great but besides that there were a lot of times where I just didn't give a shit. The story has never been the reason I love Fallout games.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
For me it's FO3>FO4>NV... Come at me.

Probs have rose tinted nostalgia glasses on for FO3.

What the fuck is fallout london ha. Visit this forum regularly, have no clue what it is, so defo not the reason for the massive bump haha.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This tweet is spot on even for Era. People claim 4 isn't even a RPG, which is frankly so idiotic not even worth the time responding to.

Even NV has weak spots for me. The ending is great but besides that there were a lot of times where I just didn't give a shit. The story has never been the reason I love Fallout games.

Ah, the Mass Effect 2 take. Which is, indeed, idiotic and not even worth the time you would take to respond.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes people talk about Fallout 3 and NV like they're DOS games from the 80s.

Don't turn me into that guy that tries to convince people Runescape still looks good. I'm not ready for that phase of my life.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
There are different forms of roleplaying, some games excel at allowing you to tell your own story without much writing at all
Exactly. In all Bethesda games, an overwhelming majority of my roleplaying is done through world exploration, combat & consumable builds, interactions with townsfolk and their businesses, and otherwise my overall demeanor towards world interaction. The main quest dialogue options in Fallout 4, I will admit, are ridiculous in that they all lead to "yes, kinda yes, no but yes, and YES!" at times, but that's just a tiny slice of the adventure that I'm carving out for myself.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"remember that time you went to that building and shot everyone inside, and then looted the whole joint, and then left?"
that's an experience you're sure to have while playing through any Fallout game, but in Fallout 4, that's how the vast majority of quests and locales function. There's quite a bit less breadth to Fallout 4's roleplaying potential when most situations are designed explicitly for you to shoot your way out of, and conversations end up being little more than set dressing. That's not true to the same degree with Fallout 3 or New Vegas, which is largely why Fallout 4 left such a bad taste in my mouth when I played it through for the first time a decade ago (and it doesn't help that, mechanically speaking, Fallout 4's character builds are generally less distinct from one another than what F3 and NV's stat & perk systems allowed for).

like, I get where y'all coming from and you've still got a point in that you weave your own narrative as you go with these games, but I do think that Fallout 3 and New Vegas do a better job at enabling that sort of adventure roleplaying than Fallout 4 does, specifically because of the ways Fallout 4 streamlines Fallout into a somewhat more straightforward looter-shooter, both mechanically and in terms of its quest design and writing overall. in Fallout 3, I can imagine a lot of character archetypes to occupy, and roleplay accordingly. in FNV, I can be just about anyone. In Fallout 4, it's Nate and Nora's story, and you're kinda just along for the ride. You get to choose the order in which they dive dumpsters, and how much of America they rebuild, and how sarcastic they are as they do it. It just doesn't hit the same for me, lol.

Last edited:

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
"Why doesn't Microsoft time a Fallout game release with the tv show. It's so obvious!"

Meanwhile everyone complaining about Pokémon dev times that have to be perfectly aligned to a global multimedia schedule causing undercooked games.

Shit's hard, people. You don't start a 6 year long development process in the hopes you'll nail the timing with a tv show that may or may not be a hit.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
"Why doesn't Microsoft time a Fallout game release with the tv show. It's so obvious!"

Meanwhile everyone complaining about Pokémon dev times that have to be perfectly aligned to a global multimedia schedule causing undercooked games.

Shit's hard, people. You don't start a 6 year long development process in the hopes you'll nail the timing with a tv show that may or may not be a hit.
Supposedly New Vegas was only in development for like 18 months which is pretty impressive looking back.

Apparently they still got stiffed on extra pay because metacritic wasn't high enough or something. Cold blooded.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
How I always explain to people who haven't played a modern Fallout game but have been scared off of Fallout 4 by a loud minority online who say the game is dogshit is this:

Is the PRIMARY draw for you in these big open world RPG's the main quest and having deep, complex RPG elements and dialog options? Then Fallout 4 is 100% lacking in those departments. I didn't think the story was as awful as most do but it's definitely not great. And the dialog options are poor for sure.

But if your primary draw to big open world RPG's is exploration/discovery in a world that's densely packed with interesting locations and like getting into wacky hijinks then Fallout 4 is fantastic for that.

I can easily forgive Fallout 4's subpar writing and storytelling because I find it amazing to explore the world.

Oct 27, 2017
units, I suppose?
If it's actually revenue, it's absurd

Apparently units and not spending. It is a great synergy with the show + a very big discount.

Yes, it's units based. Still very impressive.

I've been shocked how high various entries in the Fallout series are on the Steam global top-sellers (by revenue) considering how discounted the games are right now. I think the figure here is probably units.

I don't know if the data they have is units or revenue based, but if we sort by UK on the Steam charts right now (which is revenue based), Fallout occupies 5 of the 10 slots here. Fallout 4 being at #2 at $5 is super impressive.

View: https://imgur.com/a/y7ElvoT

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
How I always explain to people who haven't played a modern Fallout game but have been scared off of Fallout 4 by a loud minority online who say the game is dogshit is this:

Is the PRIMARY draw for you in these big open world RPG's the main quest and having deep, complex RPG elements and dialog options? Then Fallout 4 is 100% lacking in those departments. I didn't think the story was as awful as most do but it's definitely not great. And the dialog options are poor for sure.

But if your primary draw to big open world RPG's is exploration/discovery in a world that's densely packed with interesting locations and like getting into wacky hijinks then Fallout 4 is fantastic for that.

I can easily forgive Fallout 4's subpar writing and storytelling because I find it amazing to explore the world.
Hear hear. And it makes sense why the New Vegas folks are always up Fallout 4's butt because it's the polar opposite experience.

New Vegas - Amazing quest writing and RPG elements in a world where exploration is abject boredom
Fallout 4 - Lackluster RPG elements and at times nonexistent quest writing in a world where exploration is pure joy

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Is Fallout 76 or Fallout 4 closer to the TV series? Wondering which one to pick up as I've caught the bug.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I don't know if the data they have is units or revenue based, but if we sort by UK on the Steam charts right now (which is revenue based), Fallout occupies 5 of the 10 slots here. Fallout 4 being at #2 at $5 is super impressive.

View: https://imgur.com/a/y7ElvoT

Steam is revenue based. (Says it right there)
Is Fallout 76 or Fallout 4 closer to the TV series? Wondering which one to pick up as I've caught the bug.
4. Though 76 is basically 4 but online and in WV

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Hear hear. And it makes sense why the New Vegas folks are always up Fallout 4's butt because it's the polar opposite experience.

New Vegas - Amazing quest writing and RPG elements in a world where exploration is abject boredom
Fallout 4 - Lackluster RPG elements and at times nonexistent quest writing in a world where exploration is pure joy

This is spot on, both the games excel at completely different things. I enjoy FO:NV but the exploration and world for me are a major thing I don't like in it. I've played NV for maybe 60 hrs since it came out an with FO4 nearly 700 hrs. Would I have liked FO4 to have better quest writing and rpg elements - yes. But the exploration and gameplay make up for it.

FO4 gets shit on so much.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017

I actually adored exploring the Mojave in NV just as much! 😅

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't see it that way, though. Exploration in New Vegas is pretty great, IMO, just like it is in Fallout 4 and Fallout 3 alike. There's lots to see and to find in New Vegas, and it's particularly rewarding in New Vegas because of how those locales tie into one another and basically cross-pollinate both your quest log and your understanding of the world you're exploring (not to mention how many locales are peppered with unique loot you can't get anywhere else). Fallout 4 has a lot of that too, but I find that exploration in that game typically rewards you with more of the same junk (non-pejorative, as junk has genuine value in 4) and straightforward go here shoot there questing that you'd find anywhere else in the game. The joy in Fallout 4 comes from the sheer diversity of environs and the microdetail each locale lends to the greater wasteland canvas.

That said, there's nothing wrong with appreciating and enjoying that, too. As an open world shooter, Fallout 4 has its perks in abundance. I just don't think of its exploration as being innately better or more fun than Fallout 3s or New Vegas', as some do.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Im anxious for the nextgen patch to see how it looks and plays. I played it back near launch but it didn't grab me, was ugly, and disliked the base building. Is that base stuff needed or can it be ignored completely?

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Supposedly New Vegas was only in development for like 18 months which is pretty impressive looking back.

Apparently they still got stiffed on extra pay because metacritic wasn't high enough or something. Cold blooded.
It also reused assets from Fallout 3 massively and was undercooked. Would love the reaction if Bethesda released an undercooked Fallout spinoff that reuses assets from Fallout 4 (8 years later) to time a game release with a tv show.

It actually would be exactly like Pokémon. Massive hit, and lots of critics in the 'hardcore' space.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Eh, I think Scrolls is too generic to distinguish itself from other fantasy media. Fallout has its own unique charm even though it's another apocalyptic show.

I think the issue is more that Elder Scrolls is INCREDIBLY weird once you get past the surface, but it would be super difficult to impart that in a show without being hamfisted. Like how would you even begin to portray CHIM in a show.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
It also reused assets from Fallout 3 massively and was undercooked. Would love the reaction if Bethesda released an undercooked Fallout spinoff that reuses assets from Fallout 4 (8 years later) to time a game release with a tv show.
They deserve more time to cook for sure but honesty, If it was as good as 3 or NV, I would have probably loved that.

Reuse of assets isn't a problem for me, really. Seen it so much in mods and NV/76 that I've actually kind of started to appreciate how people still make it work or find creative uses for it.

Its not something that should be a common or expected practice though.

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
Highly recommend checking out Fallout 4 VR if you've got the means. As with any bethesda release it basically requires modding but it's a whole new way to play the game and I find it 1000% more engaging than flat Fallout 4.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
so happy to see this game being successfull on all storefronts, I WANT TO SEE REMASTERS of the old fallouts now!!!!!

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018

It's not about day and date, it's about the part where there isn't anything cooking at all and won't be until Elder Scrolls 6 comes out, whenever that is. Let's assume Amazon wants to have five seasons of the show and let's assume it takes roughly a year and a half between releases. That puts the fifth season airing around March 2029. That's five years from now. So if they started development TODAY, we might get a new Fallout by the time last season of the show hits.

That's a long time to hang your hat on a 2018 game, provided we use 76 as the landmark, and even longer if we use FO4.

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
If nothing else, I think they should get a very competent remake studio on a remake of NV given where it seems the story is going.

Pay them well and ask that they get out a true remake of the game by 2028ish.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Highly recommend checking out Fallout 4 VR if you've got the means. As with any bethesda release it basically requires modding but it's a whole new way to play the game and I find it 1000% more engaging than flat Fallout 4.
Def check out GingasVR's Fallout 4 VR Essentials modlist via Wabbajack if you do! Fallout 4 VR wasn't maintained for very long by Bethesda, but mods help bring the experience in line with modern VR titles, in a way that easily puts Fallout 4 VR among the best open-world experiences you can have in VR.

Stibbs

Feb 8, 2023
The 518
Said it in another thread, but Microsoft really should keep investing into 76, the map expansion is a good start, but imagine what they could build on

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all, seeking wisdom - my wife isn't too into FPS elements in games (finds them too busy/dyspraxia) can Fallout 4 be played without engaging into those elements? Are there mods to just play it like a story mode??

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
Def check out GingasVR's Fallout 4 VR Essentials modlist via Wabbajack if you do! Fallout 4 VR wasn't maintained for very long by Bethesda, but mods help bring the experience in line with modern VR titles, in a way that easily puts Fallout 4 VR among the best open-world experiences you can have in VR.

I just installed Mad God's Overhaul Classic last night. Haven't gotten to play very much yet but it looks phenomenal and is mostly a vanilla experience with the must-have VR mods included. Gingas' list kind of leans into survival which isn't really my thing but a lot of people swear by it!

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Assuming they can make them compelling - seems like there's clear value in supporting their franchises with additional media.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

Most games are good when you don't have reviewers, fanboys or the internet's input in general.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all, seeking wisdom - my wife isn't too into FPS elements in games (finds them too busy/dyspraxia) can Fallout 4 be played without engaging into those elements? Are there mods to just play it like a story mode??

I don't now about mods along those lines but Fallout 4 is very, very combat heavy. One of their major focus areas was improving the shooting gameplay and going ham on a customizable weapon upgrade system.

And the story isn't nearly good enough to experience the game just for that.

However, if your wife might be interested in the settlement features then there are a lot of mods that go heavy on that stuff where she could spend time building and creating super detailed settlements without much in the way of combat. The Sim Settlements series of mods is praised for its settlements *and* story but I haven't played it yet so I don't know how much required combat it has.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Said it in another thread, but Microsoft really should keep investing into 76, the map expansion is a good start, but imagine what they could build on
If people stick around, there's no reason they wouldn't expand the DLC/expansion plans that they already have in place. But they're not going to do that for a temporary bump of a couple weeks. They'd need to see a sizeable bump in the stable numbers over the course of a couple months to really commit to increasing the investment and scope.