Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
The more things change, the more things stay the same lol

BhK2TeI.jpeg

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
watched the show and decided to buy F4 on GOG

decided to play it in survival mode and it's... not fun

People who say starting on survival is a good idea are crazy.

Go back to normal mode. Start increasing it as you get stronger and realize you don't fear anything to start upping the chances for more legendary creatures. Turn on survival late late game when you have a zillion supplies and perks to add a new level. The game was built around collecting a shit load of scrap and other things, with quest design that sends you all over the map and built around fast travel. Enjoy the game how it was meant to be played.

FantasticMrSnake

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 25, 2017
Slyghtly OT but, is the new vegas ultimate edition worth it over the normal edition (no DLC i guess)?
They're relatively cheap in cdkeys, i have them with gamepass but i want to play them on the deck so it's easier to own them in Steam.
https://www.cdkeys.com/#q=fallout
£1.7 standard vs £5.50 ultimate

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Slyghtly OT but, is the new vegas ultimate edition worth it over the normal edition (no DLC i guess)?
They're relatively cheap in cdkeys, i have them with gamepass but i want to play them on the deck so it's easier to own them in Steam.
There's pretty much no reason to go base game only these days, especially if you're interested in modding. So yeah, get ultimate.

bigturkey

Mar 16, 2022

I would say absolutely - the 4 story DLCs comprise their own narrative arc which also calls back to events and charaters in the main game. 2 of the DLCs, Dead Money and Old World Blues are 2 of the best DLCs period and really enrich the base game. Then you also have the Gun Runners Arsenal, a sort of weapon pack, which I can't imagine ever playing without. So yeah I would say it's definitely worth it, for £5.50 it's an embarassment of riches.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Having to rely on self imposed rules is terrible design. It's true, I have no self control when it comes to stuff like this. If a feature is in the game then I will use it. It's better to just take it away.

On the flip side…why not just play on very hard and pretend your character is hungry…that way you have your save anywhere survival mode.
If they gave everyone control over which features they wanted to use then it would be better for everyone. Just make each modifier a separate toggle, including restricted saves and fast travel. Better yet, add options to an advanced menu that allows us to dictate how much each modifier affects the game.

Something like this:
iuCw0jl.png

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
What are essential mods for the series x version?
EDIT
i'm currently using the following but by no means are they essential. The Fallout Suite I'm undecided whether to keep or delete.. can't decide whether the new music inserted into the game blend in well or not.. I also tried the unofficial fallout patch but that was causing my game to freeze for seconds randomly. I'm guessing it was clashing with another mod.
W3rvF41.png

vivid fallout all in one - on:
yHXzMBI.png

Vanilla
p2Gjkt2.png

EDIT

Longfellow's Cabin settlement in Far Harbor has some crazy invasions..

View: https://i.imgur.com/1uA7u9b.mp4

Last edited:

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Is it even worth bothering with mods on PS5?

Yesterday got the Wasteland Redux mod running fine, but start playing again today and it's been disabled for some reason. I go to re-enable it and it won't because it says files are missing. Huh?

And now it's working again. Not sure what that was about, but whatever.

It causes a crash whenever I adjust the load order or d/l another mod, but I'll take it.

Running:

Wasteland Redux (general rebalancing of the entire game for more challenge and gameplay depth)
Better Graphics and Weather (improved weather and lighting effects)
More Realistic Cats (more realistic cats)
Vanilla Pip Flashlight (Pipboy flashlight works more like a proper flashlight, should go well with the improved lighting in dark areas)

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
yeah i'm thinking of turning off survival mode too even though i'm a sucker for such stuff, and i know the game systems fairly well having played the hell out of all the Bethesda Fallouts.

i really shouldn't have believed all the people praising the mode like ITS THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY, A MASTERPIECE.. yeah sure. maybe if it was more realistic and my character wouldnt get thirsty every damn 5 minutes or if after 8 hours + 4 hours + 3 hours + 2 hours of back to back sleep in a proper bed my character didn't still have goddamn insomnia..

is it completely broken or something? none of it makes any sense lol. and if settlement building is almost a requirement to survive through the game... hell no. it's the most depressingly boring and pointless mode i might have ever experienced in all my decades of gaming. just a dreadful waste of time when i could be questing and exploring with companions.

oh well i guess i tried, i still love almost everything else about the base game and thank the heavens survival mode isn't the default mode to play hah.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I replayed New Vegas a few months ago which was also the first time I played any of the DLC. The DLC was the highlight of the play through, particularly Dead Money and Old World Blues.

Oct 29, 2017
Is there any way to get decent HDR in the game?

Windows AutoHDR is not compatible and until RTX HDR supports multiple displays I can't use it.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone on PC getting broken VATS? I don't think I've seen this all zeroes thing in 20+ hours of playing the new patch

I have noticed that sometimes armor pieces show their weight as zero when transferring them between inventories which is annoying

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
After getting the PS5 upgrade finally from the PS+ collection, I was excited to try it on there as it has an actual working Quality mode that isn't broken like it is on Series X. Really noticed a difference right away in terms of resolution, I'm really impressed with it and hope they get this shit fixed on Xbox. I'm going to use the PS5 version as my mod free, trophy gathering playthrough and Series X as my modded out playthrough as the mods there are far more extensive and in depth. Also, can we get HDR added to the game please? Even if it's just the auto HDR toggle on Xbox.

Last edited:

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I have another technical question: is there any very demanding graphic setting that doesn't really improve the game's visuals that I should turn off?
If I remember correctly, god rays are pretty resource hungry but there's very little apparent difference between ultra and high. Maybe even medium should look good enough!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the DLCs are good and on top of that, you have to have all of them to use the JSawyer balance mod.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I started playing again with the new patch and now that I've got the achievement enabler working I've wanted to try out a few mods to make the leveling feel a little more smooth. It felt like it took forever to gain any levels and I was nearly 40 when I picked my save back up.

I installed one to make the leveling a little more linear and suddenly was jumped up 40 levels. It kind of sucks being rushed through all those levels so quick since so many perks aren't really that incredible it kinda took the wind out of the sails but I'm plugging away at Far Harbor and having a more enjoyable time not worrying about settlements or defending shit.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I meant. Games before Starfield need to be locked to 60. Games after Starfield can run at arbitrary fps.
Oh, okay.. I thought you were saying Starfield was okay at just 30.. lol. My bad.

And they announced the performance patch for that one today too.

But yeah, I've got mods for Skyrim and FO4. Skyrim still has to be limited to 100, character animations start getting wonky above that.

Does FO76 have the same problem? I might get around to playing that one one of these days.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Oh, okay.. I thought you were saying Starfield was okay at just 30.. lol. My bad.

And they announced the performance patch for that one today too.

But yeah, I've got mods for Skyrim and FO4. Skyrim still has to be limited to 100, character animations start getting wonky above that.

Does FO76 have the same problem? I might get around to playing that one one of these days.

Yes, UI and random things can break in FO76. Anything that is client-side is subject to breaking above 60 fps.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Had these silver shroud coat and hat sitting in inventory for aagges and couldn't dump them and just found the npc to start the quest

25VsGJo.png

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
F4SE tester seems to be indicating that the new even beta version of the script extender is good:

I've been testing the waters with the test version of f4se on the new update. It seems to work pretty well, only issue so far is mcm which is their own issue as its a DLL thing. Otherwise performance and such are pretty good, running on a save I had going already and it works flawlessly with the mods I have installed as of current.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Game needs some love on Deck. Zooming with any scope has weird vertical lines on the left and right edges of the screen. Would be great if there was a specific optimized mode for it too. Reducing the draw distance of things to zero to get performance isn't ideal.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
That's the best result, is that we can just update F4SE and everything just starts working again, without having to update every individual mod that relies on it.
Certain mods will need updates to work, like MCM, but for the most part things might be better than expected. I'd love to update and just go, with all the next-gen content good to go.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Are there any mods to more easily parse Armor and Weapon stats? Trying to compare all these random armor pieces I've picked up is getting to be infuriating with the default UI.

Also does anyone have any idea what the best armor or weapon mods eventually work out to being the most practical?

EMBee99

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
If starting a new game, should you do the new quests they give you as part of the update first or save them for later?

Also, is there a DLC playthrough recommendation, in terms of order, or just finish the core game, then tackle them based on release order?

RazorbackDB

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda off-topic but how soon can you just play far harbor, or can you just play it without doing anything else? I already played the main game but don't have the saves and I don't really want to play the whole game again.