May 9, 2019
I'm still wondering if it's 1080p ...

This was a few weeks ago. Series X with FPS boost
0sgcSLK.png

after patch, performance mode = off
0Aacf9I.png

4k60 mod before patch
qhxV25p.png
This is definitely 4k. The reason you aren't seeing a huge difference compared to newer games at 1080p vs 4k is because this game has very little detail that is masked by 1080p. Also the TAA is very soft in this game. But yeah, just look at the foliage, the difference is clear there. You're pretty much only going to notice benefits on foliage, hair, or other transparent effects with fine details.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I know they never said anything about it, but I really was still holding out hope that they would do a DLC with all creation club content included when this released like they did with Skyrim. Maybe they'll at least change stuff in the creation club around more than once every 1-2 months now that this dropped?

That's the difference between a free update and a paid one like Skyrims was.

Has the 4 CC even been updated anytime recently?

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Is it mandatory, and did they charge for it?

Don't use it if it sucks.

I mean, I think if you have it on Steam, it's mandatory because it's going to force an update?

I have the GOG version, so I can just coast on the pre "next gen" version for now, but that's not a choice for a lot of people I would think without circumventing Steam updates with cracks/hacks.

Dec 5, 2017
And you would think fixes like that would be the entire point of this update.

Like, c'mon bruh.
The point of the update was the console versions. The PC update is just to keep parity with patch versions and they threw in a couple of half baked features. PC players should just downgrade their game or not update.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Had a quick go on PC and the game runs at half my monitors refresh rate? Had to manually set the monitor to 120 to get 60 and then it still felt pretty bad? Weird

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I think if you have it on Steam, it's mandatory because it's going to force an update?
Update on Launch. Then just don't launch it from Steam (i.e. through MO2 or F4SE), and it shouldn't ever update. I ran Skyrim like that for over a year while I waited for the mods to catch up. Probably do the same here.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
The point of the update was the console versions. The PC update is just to keep parity with patch versions and they threw in a couple of half baked features. PC players should just downgrade their game or not update.

Now that was definitely not in the press release. But, yeah, reality doesn't quite match the PR and I guess people on PC should know the drill by now. This was really not an update for PC.

terrible1fi

Jun 4, 2019
That's great? You were commenting on screenshots of a suspected bug on Xbox lol
yes I understand. The point is that it might look better in game vs in screenshot comparisons. Ultimately if it is a bug they'll have to fix it as it would defeat the whole purpose of the current gen client since it is already fps boosted

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Had a quick go on PC and the game runs at half my monitors refresh rate? Had to manually set the monitor to 120 to get 60 and then it still felt pretty bad? Weird
Framepacing on PC has always been broken for me, the only way I've ever been able to get it to be smooth is using ifpsclamp in the ini file which ties the game speed to your refresh rate, that combined with 1/2 refresh rate and borderless mode. Problem with that method though is when you drop frames you get actual slowdown (the game will run in slomo), and there are game breaking bugs that you gotta work around with console commands when opening certain doors. All very annoying. This patch has fixed nothing sadly.

You can try rivatuner and other framerate limiting methods, but ultimately, I find those methods still have noticeable judder with camera movement, less noticeable if you're using a mouse. I thought maybe these issues along with the weapon debris setting on RTX cards might finally be addressed, especially since so many people are running high refresh rate monitors these days, but seems we're still stuck with a very stuttery 60fps limit.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Script extenders sadly aren't possible on consoles so I'll be curious to see how mods on Xbox will be affected by this update.

Luckily I just completed and am currently testing my most recent mod list for Skyrim so I can wait a bit to see how things shake out.

JamboGT

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Framepacing on PC has always been broken for me, the only way I've ever been able to get it to be smooth is using ifpsclamp in the ini file which ties the game speed to your refresh rate, that combined with 1/2 refresh rate and borderless mode. Problem with that method though is when you drop frames you get actual slowdown (the game will run in slomo), and there are game breaking bugs that you gotta work around with console commands when opening certain doors. All very annoying. This patch has fixed nothing sadly.

You can try rivatuner and other framerate limiting methods, but ultimately, I find those methods still have noticeable judder with camera movement, less noticeable if you're using a mouse. I thought maybe these issues along with the weapon debris setting on RTX cards might finally be addressed, especially since so many people are running high refresh rate monitors these days, but seems we're still stuck with a very stuttery 60fps limit.
I guess I need to go into the ini, turn off any frame limiting things and then force my monitor to 60? Would that be the best option? I had tried going to 60 and doing nothing but then it ran at 30!! lol

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Script extenders sadly aren't possible on consoles so I'll be curious to see how mods on Xbox will be affected by this update.

Luckily I just completed and am currently testing my most recent mod list for Skyrim so I can wait a bit to see how things shake out.
I have installed some mods ( for light, weather and 2 or 3 other things ) on PS5 version and everything is fine

According to this, quality mode is 60fps on PS5 too:

View: https://youtu.be/G_TR7Wemmb8

I have tried the two mode ( i have a 120hz TV ). The quality mode is smooth thanks to the VRR, but i can say that the framerate is definitly not 60fps in quality mode.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
I guess I need to go into the ini, turn off any frame limiting things and then force my monitor to 60? Would that be the best option? I had tried going to 60 and doing nothing but then it ran at 30!! lol
If you go into the ini you need to put the iPresentInterval setting in both the Fallout4.ini and the Fallout4Prefs.ini to 0 to disable the in-game vsync, then you can use a framerate limiter to limit it to your preferred framerate. I personally use profile inspector and run it at half refresh rate from 120 to get 60, but there's really not a one fits all solution sadly. If you use a framerate limiter at your native refresh rate, then force vsync either through your nvidia control panel or profile inspector so that when you drop frames it will avoid tearing.

You'll also wanna run the game borderless fullscreen so that you can keep your monitor's native refresh rate.

JamboGT

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you go into the ini you need to put the iPresentInterval setting in both the Fallout4.ini and the Fallout4Prefs.ini to 0 to disable the in-game vsync, then you can use a framerate limiter to limit it to your preferred framerate. I personally use profile inspector and run it at half refresh rate from 120 to get 60, but there's really not a one fits all solution sadly. If you use a framerate limiter at your native refresh rate, then force vsync either through your nvidia control panel or profile inspector so that when you drop frames it will avoid tearing.

You'll also wanna run the game borderless fullscreen so that you can keep your monitor's native refresh rate.
Cool, thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I have installed some mods ( for light, weather and 2 or 3 other things ) on PS5 version and everything is fine

Yeah, I can't imagine purely graphical, environment mods that use vanilla assets will be an issue. The options for modding Skyrim/Fallout between PS and Xbox are very different though because Sony has greater restrictions on the kinds of mods that are allowed. There are mods on Xbox that completely change the way factions/settlements/crafting work, how the environment looks etc.

Due to the fact that the mods on Xbox don't require the Script extenders I'm hoping the impact will be minimal,

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
ughhh looks like some of the settlement enemy spawn points has change since the update

EDIT
for example the Slog: Used to have enemies coming from either Sugus Ironworks or near Breakhart Barnks but now they seem to be spawning from behind the Slog

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
According to patch notes.. the ideal graphics mode on PS5: 1440p, ultra settings and 60 fps is hidden behind system level settings which Is absolutely ridiculous if true.

And no, quality mode does not run at 60 .. at least on PS5 it doesn't

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda confused with the Series S options. Unless I'm crazy, both modes are at least targeting 60fps. I've not stress tested them at all, so the non-performance mode could tank, but it certainly doesn't feel like a 30fps or 60fps choice.

The companion plus Dogmeat mod is dead though, so I'll wait for that to get fixed.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Dammit, Steam auto updated the game. I'm afraid to start it up now because of what could happen with my modded game.

Vgorilla3774

Sep 21, 2020
I'll say that Series X quality mode runs really well on my VRR-enabled TV, and definitely looks sharper and a bit more detailed to my untrained eyes than it did last night.

Honestly, impressive just how good F4's environments still look. Definitely looking forward to a show-inspired play through over the summer

terrible1fi

Jun 4, 2019
According to patch notes.. the ideal graphics mode on PS5: 1440p, ultra settings and 60 fps is hidden behind system level settings which Is absolutely ridiculous if true.

And no, quality mode does not run at 60 .. at least on PS5 it doesn't
I thought performance mode was 4K 60 with dynamic resolution to hold the 60. Isn't that what was in the patch notes?

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Update: Framerate takes a noticeable hit during explosions (Series X, Quality Mode). I threw a frag at a bunch of raiders and it really must have dropped to close to single digits there.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Installed a few mods for my new Xbox playthrough, and now I'm getting the Lookup Failed error on my Vault Suit (among other things). Installed a mod to fix it, but doesn't seem to do much.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
I know they never said anything about it, but I really was still holding out hope that they would do a DLC with all creation club content included when this released like they did with Skyrim. Maybe they'll at least change stuff in the creation club around more than once every 1-2 months now that this dropped?
I'm not understanding - isn't the CC content free? Do you not just pull it up and download what you want?

Never played this or Skyrim so I don't know how the CC works