• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube interview

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSFscmnEBOw

Article link

Of course, Howard does know all about the actual Fallout 5 game, which is in the works at BGS (but won't go into actual production until the team is done with the long-awaited The Elder Scrolls 6.) In fact, his knowledge of what's coming up on the games side allowed him to guide the show's creators away from anything that might clash with the eventual story of Fallout 5.

"Well, there were some things where I said, 'Don't do this because we are going to do that in Fallout 5,'" Howard teases, while also being quick to point out that the Amazon show took great care to tell an original story that didn't just ape events from the games. "It wasn't the translation of an existing story. It was, what would the next thing be? It just happens to be a TV show."

Otheradam

Shinra Employee
Nov 1, 2017
By the time Fallout 5 comes out, no one will remember what was in this show.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017

It is.

Fans of the games should know that everything in the series is officially part of Fallout lore, and Bethesda was careful to make sure the scripts could coexist with previous storylines from the gaming titles. "We view what's happening in the show as canon," says Howard. "That's what's great, when someone else looks at your work and then translates it in some fashion." He admits to being envious of some of the TV show's interpretations and additions: "I sort of looked at it like, 'Ah, why didn't we do that?'"

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout TV series is just an elaborate way for Jonathan Nolan to get Todd to spill the beans on Fallout 5. Well played.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
By the time Fallout 5 comes out, no one will remember what was in this show.

Was gonna say

We're still years away from Elder Scrolls VI and Fallout 5 is probably 5-7 years after that. Probably looking at 10-14 years before we see Fallout 5 unless they divide their teams up.

Like people will unironically say "remember that old show about Fallout?" by the time Fallout 5 is released

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I bet they will shelve Elder Scrolls 6 to make Fallout 5 first to launch while Fallout show is still airing

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I don't think we will be alive by then, Toddington Howardson

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
He's claiming dibs on story beats that won't be out for a literal 10+ years from now? Way to be a dick. And we know he's on such a roll with storytelling after Starfield that it's vital his ideas be protected!

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Nice, can't wait to play Fallout 5 1/2 years after it releases and has all it's bugs potentially partially fixed.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
He's claiming dibs on story beats that won't be out for a literal 10+ years from now? Way to be a dick. And we know he's on such a roll with storytelling after Starfield that it's vital his ideas be protected!
It's just a random statement during hasty PR interviews, you should never take anything said during these seriously.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
we wouldn't want the deep BGS Fallout lore and rich BGS Fallout storytelling spoiled.

TMZ is reporting Amazon will not be allowed to portray skeletons sitting in diners for reddit bait

Last edited:

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Let the hate flow through you Era.

I always love a Todd Howard thread. Looking forward to the show!

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Some real bitch eating crackers energy in here lol. It's such a harmless quote, especially in the context of the conversation being about Nolan's earlier "I think we made Fallout 5" quote and people wondering if this was replacing what was planned for the game. This is them clarifying that no, it is its own thing and FO5 is still happening.

But yeah, Fuck that guy. He is totally lying about... the people he is sitting next to.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
If the show does well, it won't be a one-and-done, they'll keep going.

So which releases first? Fallout 5 or Fallout Season Five?

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Nah, it's 8 more years for 4 more seasons even in that case. Fallout 5 will easily take more than 8 years!

But I doubt the show will go on for 5 seasons even if very successful.
If Fallout 5 comes out in 10 years I'd argue a two year difference between season 5 and Fallout 5 is "close" haha

If Fallout is a The Boys style hit for Amazon, it could very easily still be airing by the time Fallout 5 comes out.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
If Fallout 5 comes out in 10 years I'd argue a two year difference between season 5 and Fallout 5 is "close" haha

If Fallout is a The Boys style hit for Amazon, it could very easily still be airing by the time Fallout 5 comes out.
It's just very rare for any show to go beyond 3-4 seasons in the steaming era, but it's always possible. I am sure Amazon is desperate for a hit because their Nolan/Joy deal has turned out to be a misfire otherwise (still not as bad as the Phoebe Waller one...)

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
It's just very rare for any show to go beyond 3-4 seasons in the steaming era, but it's always possible. I am sure Amazon is desperate for a hit because their Nolan/Joy deal has turned out to be a complete due otherwise (still not as bad as the Phoebe Waller one...)
I agree that it's unlikely, but it's possible. For All Mankind on Apple was an early streaming hit and it's likely (barring Apple being morons) going to go for 7 seasons. FAM seasons take about 18 months to make but I imagine Fallout would be more like 24 months.

For all we know, Fallout could be a one off season. Although I doubt it.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
I agree that it's unlikely, but it's possible. For All Mankind on Apple was an early streaming hit and it's likely (barring Apple being morons) going to go for 7 seasons.

For all we know, Fallout could be a one off season. Although I doubt it.
To call anything on Apple a 'hit' is really stretching it, lol, they just like to burn money over there.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
This is a 2034 game

Bet the Writers of the Show where like "Yeah no bro, that's not something we would've come up with chill"

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Some real bitch eating crackers energy in here lol. It's such a harmless quote, especially in the context of the conversation being about Nolan's earlier "I think we made Fallout 5" quote and people wondering if this was replacing what was planned for the game. This is them clarifying that no, it is its own thing and FO5 is still happening.

But yeah, Fuck that guy. He is totally lying about... the people he is sitting next to.

Seriously. What's with the Todd Howard hate here? This just seems like common sense and good planning.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Seriously. What's with the Todd Howard hate here? This just seems like common sense and good planning.

It's not exactly new. Hating on Todd has been a meme for many years.

I will say, Starfield turning out as a disappointment for many hasn't helped.

There is nothing wrong with this quote at all, it's just general frustration leaking out.

Last edited:

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
straight up hate for Howard and Bethesda now? Is every thread is gonna turn into a joke/meme and go off topic?

I get some of y'all did not like Starfield, but did it hurt you or something? Did Todd?

Grow the F up. Who cares you didn't like Starfield, move on. It is low effort drive by and it is not deserved in every single instance.

FGNLive

Feb 6, 2021
Todd, I love you, but story similarities will not be the problem for Fallout 5, it will be the Creation Engine. It's time, Todd, I'm beggin' ya.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Elder scrolls is going to take so long to make. Fallout 5 is going to be on the ps7/gamepassstreamingbox