• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
In case people were curious about Fallout 76's business model.

Metro Game Central:
"One question I've been asking a lot of people at Gamescom, with a certain amount of glee, is how the fallout from Battlefront II has affected them. And it has affected almost everyone – even mobile developers, to my surprise. But I imagine it's made little difference to you, because Bethesda is entirely blameless when it comes to encouraging loot boxes."

Pete Hines: "Well, we really try… we're pretty aware of where the line is and try and sit on the right side of that line. So I'll give you an example, it's not like microtransactions haven't been a four-letter word in this industry, amongst certain folks, for a while. We have microtransactions in Fallout 76. But, they're only cosmetic. Anything we're selling for real money you can also buy with in-game currency that you get as a reward while you play. And part of the main reason we're doing it is because we want to provide all of the post-launch content that we do for free. So any DLC or new content we add is free to everybody. And we feel like we're being upfront, we're doing this in a way that makes sense. It's only cosmetic, there is no pay-to-win. You can earn it in-game if you don't want to buy it. If there's an outfit you want. Like yeah, you're getting rewards along the way, just use that to go buy the weapons skin or whatever the hell it is you want. We just feel that that kind of approach is on the right side of the line where folks go, 'Yeah, I'm okay with that'. And where that line is will sometimes move but generally speaking we feel like we have a pretty good sense… I mean, we had lunchboxes in Fallout Shelter but nobody had an issue with it because that game wasn't really in your face about the fact that there was a way to spend money."

Edit:

Oh, I should also note that it's meant to last forever.

Metro Game Central: "Yes it does. Well that's great to hear. I assume Fallout 76 is the most games as a servicey of the two, so how long do you envisage that lasting?"

Pete Hines: "Forever."

Metro Game Central: "Forever?"

Pete Hines: "I'm not being ironic. Like, forever. Because other people have said, 'Is your timeline two years or five years?' And I said, 'Well, they're still playing Morrowind and you go online and look at how many people are playing Fallout 4 and Skyrim. Those games have been out for four and seven years, and there are literally hundreds of thousands of people playing those games every single day, every single month. So Fallout 76, our timeline is in perpetuity. Now what that content is gonna be, and what that's gonna look like, I'm not sure. Part of our thing is we need to get people in the game and see how they respond. We've even taken this approach for past DLC. I don't know if you remember Fallout 3? The big consumer reaction when we launched that game was that they were all upset that it had an ending. And we were like, 'All the previous games had an ending! We thought we were sticking to what that franchise is…' But they didn't want an ending and we had a couple of DLCs in the works but the third one we did we were like, 'Well, we need a DLC that removes the ending of the game and allows you to continue on'. So 76 is going to be like that. We have some ideas for this and that, but let's see what people want more of. Let's see what they respond to and support that."

Source: https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/13/pete...believe-in-single-player-7939215/?ito=cbshare

Last edited:

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
horsearmoroblivion.0.0.jpg

Never forget.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
There's a freemium currency in the game? Oooof they really want that Take Two money.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Will you lose your stuff if another player kills you?

I assume not, but that removes some of the fun of hunting down other players doesn't it?

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They forgot to mention that it'll take you 4-6 months to save up the ingame currency to buy that item that only costs you $0.99!

"Go ahead! It's just $0.99! You won't miss it!" <dangles carrot on stick>

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
This whole interview is kinda gross and it does come across like "buttering up" such as saying Bethesda had the best show... smh. [laughs]

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
lmao perfect.

As long as its attainable through gameplay and not a loot box but rather something you choose to buy and know what you're getting then I am fine with that, let the market decide if your prices are right for the value they offer to someone. Plus as someone who wont be buying any of it, free dlc as a result large or small is okay to me. I'm only okay with random loot in premium games when it can only be earned but if you have to spend real money then I want to know exactly what i'm getting.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This game just doesn't connect with me at all. I'm excited to play the beta and hopefully see what they're going for, but this just seems like an anemic version of a franchise that was already due for a massive overhaul.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Pete Hines said:
We just feel that that kind of approach is on the right side of the line where folks go, 'Yeah, I'm okay with that'.
I mean, I'm okay with that. Lol. If you have to have MTX in your game this is pretty much the most inoffensive implementation possible. And you'd risk splitting the playerbase or alienating some users if you just did traditional MMO-style paid expansions.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Gross. Just do what Titanfall 2 did FFS.
Titanfall 2: Has a store where you buy the cosmetics you want for a set price.
Fallout 76: Has a store where you buy cosmetics for a set price or acquire them by playing.
Basically the same if not in favor of Fallout. Not sure what you mean here tbh

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I went from being on the fence to falling on the no side with impact. Good luck Bethesda, I'm sure it will sell well but no thank you.

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 76: Has a store where you buy cosmetics for a set price or acquire them by playing.
Titanfall also has new titan variants for sale. Not sure why people think it doesn't have Mtx

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
This is absolutely the most frustrating trend for this board. Crying about lootboxes how lootboxes are evil because people can't just buy the specific things they want. Fallout comes out and states that they will allow you to do just that, but with cosmetic items only. In return, they state that the DLC content will be free to everybody. So what is that people want exactly? Feels like everyone is looking for a reason to complain.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
"Forever".

Yeah, sure.

Release it first and pray that it's good and not that kind of a clusterfuck that it seems to be right now, a game that doesn't know what it wants to be and just tries to do everything to some degree.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Seems fine to me.

Directly purchasable, and attainable via gameplay. Plus, nothing that offers an advantage.

If that's the price of free DLC for all, I'm entirely content with that.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
"Forever".

Yeah, sure.

Release it first and pray that it's good and not that kind of a clusterfuck that it seems to be right now, a game that doesn't know what it wants to be and just tries to do everything to some degree.

What is so hard to believe about this?

Or are you misreading his comment as if it means the game will be supported til the end of time because he makes it pretty clear that he means the lifetime of the title, which is entirely plausible.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm half hoping it doesn't take off so they can refocus on another proper Fallout sooner, but of course it'll be a runaway success.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Again Direct Cosmetic Shop is alright. Glad they are taking that approach over RNG Lootbox bullshit for cosmetics.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm half hoping it doesn't take off so they can refocus on another proper Fallout sooner, but of course it'll be a runaway success.
It's made and being supported mostly a by a different team that has nothing to do with traditional besthesda games.It's an MP focused studio that was tasked to create a possible fallout 4 mod. Fallout 5 was never coming before Starfield and ES next. people need to accept that.