• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Biggest perks imho is the survival tent - bonus if they have scrap box/ workshop. (free teleport back and forth between your camp). And the ammo/scrap box at camp.

I also like the solo server to transfer items to my mules

Is there a donation box at flatwoods? Might go a little nuts with stimpacks, lock picks and plans for the newbs
There's a shared donation box with the whole server, there's one at every train station, plus the big settlements (Foundation, The Crater, White Springs, etc.) I'm not 100% sure there's one at Flatwoods but it would make sense IMO.

Out of curiosity, how does one explore the Vaults in this game? I know they're basically the raids of this game. Are there events I'm missing? Do I need to complete the base story first?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The fact that the game doesn't do this by default is kind of insane.

It's crazy the performance difference when I did those tweaks. Seen some say that it made the game unstable for them in the past, but it's been rock solid for me and the game looks and plays great with that minor tweak.

There's a shared donation box with the whole server, there's one at every train station, plus the big settlements (Foundation, The Crater, White Springs, etc.) I'm not 100% sure there's one at Flatwoods but it would make sense IMO.

Out of curiosity, how does one explore the Vaults in this game? I know they're basically the raids of this game. Are there events I'm missing? Do I need to complete the base story first?

Vault 97 used to be the raid, but it was messy and many issues with it over a long time that they decided against doing MMO style raids. They switched to focusing more on server wide event type quests and such instead. Vault 97 now is just a vault you can go in and fight some tough enemies, some lore in the game to discover but it's not really a thing. Vault 51 also used to be part of the Nuclear Winter battle royale mode, players would load into it like a lobby system and you could roam around and explore the vault before matches started. After the BR mode was removed they let players go into the abandoned 51 and you can explore it for the lore found strewn about. To note, there is a secret boss battle you can unlock in Vault 51 if you figure out how to get to him.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
It's crazy the performance difference when I did those tweaks. Seen some say that it made the game unstable for them in the past, but it's been rock solid for me and the game looks and plays great with that minor tweak.

Vault 97 used to be the raid, but it was messy and many issues with it over a long time that they decided against doing MMO style raids. They switched to focusing more on server wide event type quests and such instead. Vault 97 now is just a vault you can go in and fight some tough enemies, some lore in the game to discover but it's not really a thing. Vault 51 also used to be part of the Nuclear Winter battle royale mode, players would load into it like a lobby system and you could roam around and explore the vault before matches started. After the BR mode was removed they let players go into the abandoned 51 and you can explore it for the lore found strewn about. To note, there is a secret boss battle you can unlock in Vault 51 if you figure out how to get to him.
I came across 96 the other day and I could hear something terrible screaming inside but couldn't figure out a way to open the door.

Cool, I might check the others out later tonight.

BTW, what's the current "meta" way to launch a nuke? Do people still team up for that or is it on you to find all 8 code pieces?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
For sure events are now dead because new players are not participating. Basically servers are full of newbies instead of vets and nobody is doing the events. On xbox at least it is extremely noticeable. That said I can solo most events so oh well.

Oct 29, 2017
I came across 96 the other day and I could hear something terrible screaming inside but couldn't figure out a way to open the door.

BTW, what's the current "meta" way to launch a nuke? Do people still team up for that or is it on you to find all 8 code pieces?
The meta is getting a card and looking it up.
https://nukacrypt.com

Oct 27, 2017
For sure events are now dead because new players are not participating. Basically servers are full of newbies instead of vets and nobody is doing the events. On xbox at least it is extremely noticeable. That said I can solo most events so oh well.
Right now there's mutated events, those seem to be decently populated in my experience but vets seem to log off right after, then at the top of the hour the server becomes populated again

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

Yeah as another poster just said, use nukacrypt. There is also a way to use a photomode glitch to skip most of the silo and get it done in 10 mins or so. I have NEVER gathered those codes.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
P

Nobody actually bothers to find all the code pieces:

NukaCrypt

All Things Fallout 76

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I played it for the first time with a buddy yesterday and aside from some bugs 2 things kinda soured it:

1) Both the daily ops and the first main quest were not completable together, only he got the progression. So I don't fully get the MP part, do they mean for you to just coop in the wasteland but do everything else and dungeons alone?
2) Despite being at 60fps+ there is some horrible jankiness/microstuttering when looking around quickly. I'm not sure if this is just because the camera settings are set too high and I don't know how to change it.

Going to spend some time looking through PC gaming wiki and a bit of YT to fox and understand the game better, any help is appreciated too!

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Both the daily ops and the first main quest were not completable together, only he got the progression. So I don't fully get the MP part, do they mean for you to just coop in the wasteland but do everything else and dungeons alone?
Let's start with instanced areas. If you follow you team leader into his instance, your quest will not progress. You can switch leader and do the quest again for each team member, if you want to stay together. Often enough there will be just a lot of talking to do, so when you got the hang of a quest you'll be better off with the option to enter your own instance. Here you will be alone, but all team members can progress at the same time.

Outside of instanced areas, you can do things simultaneously. You can talk with the same NPC at the same time and everyone will see him only answer to your questions. And there are things like expeditions and Daily Ops. Here you for usual also follow your leader into his instance, but since it is not a quest but more like a raid it's intend to be done as teamwork.

Sinah

Jun 2, 2022

Btw i would definitely advise capping FPS at 60-70 because the engine can crap out if your FPS are above that, from what i remember you can get stuck in geometry or when going indoors or even fall trough the world.
This has been a tech limitation of the creation engine for ages and while Starfield, Skyrim and the other Fallout games have mods and ini edits to fix it somewhat (it can still be a bit buggy) that is not possible for this game.

Last edited:

onibirdo

Dec 9, 2020
What are some good perks to get at the start?
I'm guessing the weight reduction perks are good picks?

Right now at level 5 I've got:
  • The extra XP perk when in a team
  • Action Boy for better AP regen
  • The chem weight reduction perk

Sinah

Jun 2, 2022

For starters you can look here for builds and copy the perk load outs from builds that suit you play style.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017

Mostly you should just pick the ones that you feel like, in the end the perks are easily swapped and plentiful anyway. That said, skills like Commando that improve your main weapon skill (if you have already found a weapon you like) is always a good option, as there will be lots of shooting and fighting ahead.

The builds posted above are good, but not required by any means and honestly take away from experimentation and pushes you to min-maxing which definitely is not for everyone. You can always respec later, so I wouldn't bother checking out builds until you have in the endgame.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017

I won't comment on any particular build advice as I don't want to influence your choices without you asking for that paticular advice however there's one advice I can give.

At Lv.50 you will gain access to your first Legendary Perk Slot and my advice to you is that do not and I repeat DO NOT upgrade a Legendary Perk unless you're absolutely sure you want that particular Legendary Perk as part of your build because you have no idea how time consuming it's going to be to get more Perk Coins and wasting them early on isn't ideal.

onibirdo

Dec 9, 2020
For starters you can look here for builds and copy the perk load outs from builds that suit you play style.

Mostly you should just pick the ones that you feel like, in the end the perks are easily swapped and plentiful anyway. That said, skills like Commando that improve your main weapon skill (if you have already found a weapon you like) is always a good option, as there will be lots of shooting and fighting ahead.

The builds posted above are good, but not required by any means and honestly take away from experimentation and pushes you to min-maxing which definitely is not for everyone. You can always respec later, so I wouldn't bother checking out builds until you have in the endgame.

I won't comment on any particular build advice as I don't want to influence your choices without you asking for that paticular advice however there's one advice I can give.

At Lv.50 you will gain access to your first Legendary Perk Slot and my advice to you is that do not and I repeat DO NOT upgrade a Legendary Perk unless you're absolutely sure you want that particular Legendary Perk as part of your build because you have no idea how time consuming it's going to be to get more Perk Coins and wasting them early on isn't ideal.
Thanks all!

Not sure what weapons I'll favor yet so I'll be sticking to the QoL perks to start with.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Action boy girl, traveling pharmacy, commando, green thumb, gun smith, inspirational, theu-hiker, good with salt, are pretty good early perks.

Mid perks I favor blocker, fireproof, gungfu, ricochet, bloody mess, class freak and starched genes.

But yeah most of it will come down to your build. For example since I am bloody power armor I have stabilized, nerd rage, heavy gunner, suppressor, etc.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
When does this season end?
June 25th

but seems to be optimized about 487 level ups later?
The reason behind that is that you don't unlock your final Legendary Perk Slot until Lv.300 and how long it takes you to max out all 5 Legendary Perks of your choice will depend on how many Seasons you have with the game (You can get Perk Coins as a Reward from Seasons) and if you wasted Perk Coins upgrading Legendary Perks that you didn't end up keeping so yeah on average people finish with their build by Lv.500~

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't sweat the idea of end game builds. The "endgame" is essentially group content, and you really don't need over powered meta builds at all to be helpful in them.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
I wouldn't sweat the idea of end game builds. The "endgame" is essentially group content, and you really don't need over powered meta builds at all to be helpful in them.

so do you mean I could depend on my cold shoulder forever? im stuck with shotgun since level 50 and I'm so lazy to respec my chara and look at build guide :')

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reliable way to get the recipe for Antibiotics, Disease Cure, and Healing Salve? I want to complete all of my Tadpole challenges!

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
so do you mean I could depend on my cold shoulder forever? im stuck with shotgun since level 50 and I'm so lazy to respec my chara and look at build guide :')

If it's max level cold shoulder, sure why not? It's one of the best shotguns for shotgun builds along with the gauss shotgun. If you perk out to make shotgun build, you can do just fine.

Really folks should play as they want, going crazy speccing to be the highest damage possible just is boring really and kind of has no point, there is no raids or gear checks in this game. As long as your feeling fine in combat encounters, your good.

Is there a reliable way to get the recipe for Antibiotics, Disease Cure, and Healing Salve? I want to complete all of my Tadpole challenges!

The MODUS med vendor if you have access to it, can sometimes spawn it. Otherwise it's finding it mostly

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
If it's max level cold shoulder, sure why not? It's one of the best shotguns for shotgun builds along with the gauss shotgun. If you perk out to make shotgun build, you can do just fine.

Really folks should play as they want, going crazy speccing to be the highest damage possible just is boring really and kind of has no point, there is no raids or gear checks in this game. As long as your feeling fine in combat encounters, your good.

kinda itchy to try energy laser tbh, will try it soon

Just did eviction notice with four people, it was intensive. Explosive bombs everywhere

got reflective eviction notice with four people too earlier, I quit halfway lmao

onibirdo

Dec 9, 2020
What's generally a good interval to be crafting higher levelled gear? As far as I can see the quality jumps every 5 levels but I'm wondering if I really need to re-craft my leather armor every 5 levels to keep up with the game.

Last edited:

Xion385

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Newish level 63 player here. How does one make caps in this game? I've seen the prices of mutation recipes at 17k..... bruh and we're capped to 1.4k a day at vendors.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
What's generally a good interval to be crafting higher levelled gear? As far as I can see the quality jumps every 5 levels but I'm wondering if I really need to re-craft my leather armor every 5 levels to keep up with the game.
Upgrade when you have the materials. Every 10 levels is prob fine. You level so fast these days if you do events and the like you will be at level 50 in no time and then everything is max level.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
mirelurk steamer will be discounted to 250 atom guys on 21st, its one of most useful item in the shop

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Newish level 63 player here. How does one make caps in this game? I've seen the prices of mutation recipes at 17k..... bruh and we're capped to 1.4k a day at vendors.

Which recipes do you need? You will find most people just drop recipes or give them away. I know many people sell things.

Get caps from events, missions. You also get caps when you are on a team and your team mate completes a quest. Sell legendaries/grenades etc. anything that you can't scrap

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
So fallout first for a month is supposedly half off. And my friend in Canada sees it for that price. But for me in the US I don't see that price. Interesting thin*is when we compare screenshots both of us have one offering that is not available. But his not available is in the same spot that the one I can buy (full price) is and my unavailable is where his half off offering is buyable.

Anyone else in the us not seeing the half off?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
So fallout first for a month is supposedly half off. And my friend in Canada sees it for that price. But for me in the US I don't see that price. Interesting thin*is when we compare screenshots both of us have one offering that is not available. But his not available is in the same spot that the one I can buy (full price) is and my unavailable is where his half off offering is buyable.

No, seeing it for $6.50 on the xbox store anyway
edit removed broken url

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/fallout-1st-windows/cfq7ttc0lmc9 (PC)
https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/fallout-1st/cfq7ttc0l4dr (Xbox)

6d4640e840620b2a60dbe0e0ea4b4648.png

Xion385

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Which recipes do you need? You will find most people just drop recipes or give them away. I know many people sell things.

Get caps from events, missions. You also get caps when you are on a team and your team mate completes a quest. Sell legendaries/grenades etc. anything that you can't scrap
Mainly the mutation ones for this build.

nukesdragons.com

Character Build Planner & Calculator | Fallout 76 | Nukes & Dragons

Allocate your SPECIAL attributes. Choose your perks and mutations. Know your stats. Examine the leveling options.