• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I never really paid much attention to the Story in the FO games I played (FO3, NV and FO4).
I also havent finished the story of all of them.

So my question - after finishing the series - is the following:

In the games, is the origin of the bombs and the reason they were dropped (Vault-Tec wanting to capitalize on war and eventually wanting to drop the bombs themselves) a big topic? Or is it more like a background arc that you only get to explore by reading PC communications and Holotapes?

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
This show reminded me why I stopped watching tv shows. So slow. I fast forward everytime someone is walking down a hallway for 45 seconds. It's runtime padding like collectibles in a game. That last episode was an A+ and made it all worth it. Bad Karma Clint Eastwood Ghoul - let us play as a Ghoul in the games too.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I thought Hank might have been going to Mr House but since they made NCR get wiped by bombs instead of withering away after losing Hoover Dam I figured that the canon ending was not the one where he lives. I forgot that his securitrons would still exist so that makes sense.
New Vegas could have been destroyed after the game, as the NCR collapsed and became even more desperate, with the securitrons and NCR basically wiping out one another. I could see House surviving all that in his bunker, but having no power, so you get the big TV screen version of him. Or they could commit to their refusal to say which endings are canon and leave House as just an easter egg for fans in the first season.

Nomujoa

Oct 30, 2017
I played F3 and F4 but I haven't been a mega fan of the Fallout series and this show actually made me retroactively love the games more. The show was great - and I am invested to see where the 3 leads go from here.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Is coop
the inspiration of the vault boy or did the mascot already exist?
If so that's probably the wildest reveal for me lol

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Is coop
the inspiration of the vault boy or did the mascot already exist?
If so that's probably the wildest reveal for me lol

sort of, seems he was like the proto-pip boy.

obviously they don't look much alike and and coop was kind of a washout at the end of his career so i guess vault tec touched it up, also it relieves the writers being criticized of doing the LOOK... THIS IS THE ORIGIN! thing in a too obvious way

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it today. Great show with a lot of charm. The mystery of Vault 31 had me guessing right up the the last episode and I was pretty much close to getting it right on the money. Unfortunately, the ending just left me wanting more...time to finally play Fallout 4, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Afterwards, I kept thinking Ella Purnell would make a good MCU version of Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman if Sony and Disney could get their shit together, but that would never happen.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
I never really paid much attention to the Story in the FO games I played (FO3, NV and FO4).
I also havent finished the story of all of them.

So my question - after finishing the series - is the following:

In the games, is the origin of the bombs and the reason they were dropped (Vault-Tec wanting to capitalize on war and eventually wanting to drop the bombs themselves) a big topic? Or is it more like a background arc that you only get to explore by reading PC communications and Holotapes?

About the nukes:

It's unknown who struck first, and in-game references are usually unreliable. A while back Tim Cain was asked and said it was China nuking the US for developing the F.E.V. , but then walked it back. BTW, Just because the show depicts Vault-Tec as wanting to be the first to detonate the nukes doesn't necessarily mean someone else didn't beat them to the punch. Some of the vaults weren't even finished.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first ep. This might be the most faithful adaption of a video game series yet. Prolly simply because it's actually in the real timeline of the games. They hit the perfect tone.

mrqs

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy this show is as good as it is, and how it'll be good for future for videogames adaptations. I'm amazed.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it and loved every minute of it. The attention to detail is just out of this world.

My wife is sometimes a hard sell with genre shows but she was obsessed with this.

My brother did some work on the show and while I'm sure he doesn't know everything I asked him if he knew when season 2 was going to start production and he said last he was told it would be the end of the year if all goes well.

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Im still scratching my head over their decision to release the whole series at once. Would've been the talk of the town for a couple of months like Shogun has been. Were they not confident in the product?
Yeah I'm really puzzled by it too. The word of mouth on this would have grown week after week.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
sort of, seems he was like the proto-pip boy.

obviously they don't look much alike and and coop was kind of a washout at the end of his career so i guess vault tec touched it up, also it relieves the writers being criticized of doing the LOOK... THIS IS THE ORIGIN! thing in a too obvious way

He wasn't washout at end of his career. He was at peak of his career, and his cowboy performances were being set up as "democracy and capitalism beats dirty red commies" propaganda. What caused decline and eventual death of his career as movie star was hitching himself to VaultTec. Money was godlike, but increasingly more and more Hollywood talent refused from working with him. Coop became a person who was sort of face for VaultTec through those extensive ad campaigns, and was seen as someone who endorsed continuing the war because he profited from it.

VaultTec just transformed his performances as PipBoy into cartoon format.

We also get good idea about how much he hates and regrets his affiliation with VaultTec. Near to end, and especially 200 years later.

hungryghost

Feb 8, 2024
I did not have high hopes for this show, i find there aren't many Amazon originals that I vibe with but from the first episode I was hooked. I'm a lil upset it's going to be two years till the next season!

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
Just finished the show, it was brilliant.
The finale reminded me a of Westworld S1 unsurprisingly. hopefully they won't drop the ball like they did with WW S3.
As someone who's not very familiar with Fallout lore, has any of the stuff explained in the last episode ever hinted at or explored in the games before?

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
the balance of practical and cgi effects is blowing my mind

like i'm legit shocked theirs a ton of practical stuff to coincide with the computer graphics

none of the cgi feels out of place and transition seamlessly without overdoing it

Jan 4, 2018

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Im still scratching my head over their decision to release the whole series at once. Would've been the talk of the town for a couple of months like Shogun has been. Were they not confident in the product?
They wanted it out in time for Emmy consideration and going weekly would have pushed them over the deadline.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
They wanted it out in time for Emmy consideration and going weekly would have pushed them over the deadline.
Wouldn't they have been eligible for next years emmy instead? Seems like a dumb move tbh, the buzz around fallout would've lasted for months instead of a couple of weeks. I guess Amazon are unhappy their programming havent won a lot of awards over the years.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't they have been eligible for next years emmy instead? Seems like a dumb move tbh, the buzz around fallout would've lasted for months instead of a couple of weeks. I guess Amazon are unhappy their programming havent won a lot of awards over the years.

The Boys definitely should have won ANYTHING, bit strange that the last season wasn't even nominated for anything.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
It's the same argument for why games that miss the TGA cutoff rarely ever get considered for the following year's TGAs. Because they're competing with newer games that are more exciting and relevant in people's minds. Fallout being a year old by that point would give it a disadvantage vs newer shows.

I do agree that it should have been weekly, but they should have tried to get it out earlier so they could have also hit the deadline.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
It's the same argument for why games that miss the TGA cutoff rarely ever get considered for the following year's TGAs. Because they're competing with newer games that are more exciting and relevant in people's minds. Fallout being a year old by that point would give it a disadvantage vs newer shows.

I do agree that it should have been weekly, but they should have tried to get it out earlier so they could have also hit the deadline.
Fair enough. Still I think everyone loses in this scenario. Would've been a better experience for viewers and better for Amazon if it was a weekly release. It's not a binge show at all.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Fair enough. Still I think everyone loses in this scenario. Would've been a better experience for viewers and better for Amazon if it was a weekly release. It's not a binge show at all.
I don't disagree with you there. I would like to think Season 2 will be a 2 episode premiere and then weekly after that.

WhiskeyRose

Mar 8, 2020
So, it's not the likeliest ending of them all for New Vegas to ever get adapted, but maybe the place looks like that because the Tunnelers from the Divide finally made it like Ulysses said they would?

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Just started

Ok now that hype has died down let me just say that I thought the first episode was kinda bad.

The intro was really fucking bad tbh. It had absolutely 0 suspense for the bombs going off. Bro just got on a horse and cut to black. I wanted to see them scramble for actual vaults (not just stuff in your basement), and for actual destruction to happen

The raider scene and use of slow mo non stop was fucking awful. I couldn't believe what I was watching it just keep going and I'm like oh my god does the slow mo ever fucking end. The whole battle just felt fake, like no one's punches or shots had any effect on one another.

Brotherhood of steel introduction kinda stunk but I'll let it pass as it's introducing us to the characters.

Hoping the rest of the show is good / decent but like this episode I feel was a bad start.

Now the adaption itself is great and and takes everything that makes fallout great and puts it into the show. But when I say i think tlou is the better show, it's shit like this. The direction & writing at times is just flat out awful. That said this show is more "fun" than that if that's what you want, and I'd argue it does a better job adapting.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, it's not the likeliest ending of them all for New Vegas to ever get adapted, but maybe the place looks like that because the Tunnelers from the Divide finally made it like Ulysses said they would?

I feel like Ulysses has to be wrong, because that entire DLC is one gigantic repudiation of everything he believes in.

The intro was really fucking bad tbh. It had absolutely 0 suspense for the bombs going off. Bro just got on a horse and cut to black. I wanted to see them scramble for actual vaults (not just stuff in your basement), and for actual destruction to happen

I don't think it would make any sense to show vaults before Lucy's debut. That would only work for fans of the games, but for new people it would just be confusing.

Khaintz

Jul 31, 2020
Finished it today. Great show with a lot of charm. The mystery of Vault 31 had me guessing right up the the last episode and I was pretty much close to getting it right on the money. Unfortunately, the ending just left me wanting more...time to finally play Fallout 4, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Afterwards, I kept thinking Ella Purnell would make a good MCU version of Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman if Sony and Disney could get their shit together, but that would never happen.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think the
new Vegas season will coincide with a release of new Vegas 2

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I think the
new Vegas season will coincide with a release of new Vegas 2
Unless it's been in development for several years in secret (which it hasn't) there's no chance of that.

Also, if Obsidian ever make another Fallout, it probably wouldn't be "New Vegas 2" but a spiritual successor with a new setting.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Just finished.

There was always potential in the games to translate to a good series. I never thought they would actually pull it off as well as they did.
I feel the same. I went into this expecting a mildly entertaining series with your run of the mill production value. Next thing I know I'm binge watching it till 4 a.m.

I just wish it didn't end in such a big cliffhanger.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
About the nukes:

It's unknown who struck first, and in-game references are usually unreliable. A while back Tim Cain was asked and said it was China nuking the US for developing the F.E.V. , but then walked it back. BTW, Just because the show depicts Vault-Tec as wanting to be the first to detonate the nukes doesn't necessarily mean someone else didn't beat them to the punch. Some of the vaults weren't even finished.

"We drop the bombs ourselves" is also something that could mean several things, if you think about it. These corporations basically controlled the US government by that point, so it could simply mean pushing them to start the war. It could also mean detonating a nuke in the US or China to start the exchange of warheads as both governments think one side fired first.

It has never been explained what precisely kicked off the war and who fired first, so anything is possible.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

Based on something that The Ghoul says at the end, this gap is intentional. There is a bit of story missing and it'll be interesting to see how it fills in.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finishing up episode 3, I feel Thaddeus and Maximus have some good chemistry together, albeit a bit unintentionally given one doesn't know it's the other inside the armor. I hope Thaddeus stays alive long enough for them to get up to more hijinks lol. Also wondering how long Maximus is going to get away with not taking off the armor in front of him.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Unless it's been in development for several years in secret (which it hasn't) there's no chance of that.

Also, if Obsidian ever make another Fallout, it probably wouldn't be "New Vegas 2" but a spiritual successor with a new setting.

There were some new Vegas 2 leaks on steamdb a while back

Msft want it to happen

I want it to happen

You cannot change my mind

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
There were some new Vegas 2 leaks on steamdb a while back

Msft want it to happen

I want it to happen

You cannot change my mind
I believe Obsidian will make another Fallout, but they are very busy with two other big games right now. A new Fallout would have to wait until after those games, and Season 2 will probably be out by 2026 which is nowhere near enough time.

MAYBE for Season 3 in 2028. MAYBE. But more realistic Season 4 around 2030.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I really appreciate how they're dedicated to stimpaks being magical medicine and aren't interested in exploring the "how"

It's a good lesson in showing how audiences will accept any old crazy premise as long as you introduce it early and it remains consistent

astro

Oct 25, 2017
First episode down... Not a single likable character so far, and everything just feels so flat. Not sure how they could make such an interesting setting feel so dull.

Will give it a couple more episodes...

Dec 11, 2017
Has Amazon released any official statement on the ratings? I saw IMBD and other places showing it was #1 by their metrics I'm just curious if Amazon has said anything.

First episode down... Not a single likable character so far, and everything just feels so flat. Not sure how they could make such an interesting setting feel so dull.
Not seeing Maximus or The Ghoul as "likable" by the end of episode 1 is completely understandable. But being completely immune to the charm of Ella Purnell's plucky vault dweller is wild to me.