• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks Goggins should be nominated for his role in this?

He is mesmerizing as The Ghoul. The way he rolls his words with that accent along with the intonations is fantastic.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Crosspost from the other thread:

Todd Howard just confirmed that Shady Sands was nuked after the events of New Vegas.
"We're careful about the timeline," he says. "There might be a little bit of confusion in some places. But everything that happened in the previous games, including New Vegas, happened. We're very careful about that."

"All I can say is we're threading it tighter there, but the bombs fall just after the events of New Vegas."

View: https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1780612463634808997?t=fM7T5yuzKAkavxuUK1dbYA&s=19

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Has Amazon released any official statement on the ratings? I saw IMBD and other places showing it was #1 by their metrics I'm just curious if Amazon has said anything.

Not seeing Maximus or The Ghoul as "likable" by the end of episode 1 is completely understandable. But being completely immune to the charm of Ella Purnell's plucky vault dweller is wild to me.
Wild that anyone would find that charming to me too. Everything felt so forced.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Already in ep 4 and that's me trying hard after EP 3.

This might the most complete garbage TV Series I've seen in probably 15 years and that's me being generous, everything about it is trash except the acting. Not one of the characters is interesting, the story is non-sensical and it's just plain more of the same everyone is out there for themselves end of the world survival fantasy bullshit. At least the games have interesting exploration and other good factors going into em I guess. I'm out and want my hours back lol.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the whole show, although I didn't care much about Maximus or the brotherhood storyline, possibly the weakest part IMO. I think the part I loved the most was the mistery of vaults 31 and 32.

Also (Ch7 or 8 spoiler) it was 100% a Vault 31 dweller who poisoned the prisoners. If I had to guess, very likely Stephanie.

epicflame

May 11, 2023

This might the most complete garbage TV Series I've seen in probably 15 years and that's me being generous, everything about it is trash except the acting. Not one of the characters is interesting, the story is non-sensical and it's just plain more of the same everyone is out there for themselves end of the world survival fantasy bullshit. At least the games have interesting exploration and other good factors going into em I guess. I'm out and want my hours back lol.
bad bait

Oct 30, 2017

View: https://media1.giphy.com/media/IDGNYvFLkJKLK/200.gif?cid=790b7611wyptiybdipqtuqzu60kjp2fdts2wbz1gpyxf9h5a&rid=200.gif&ct=g

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the season. Very well done, but some questions -

1. What exactly happened to the residents of Vault 32? They were long gone before the raiders used Lucy's mom Pip-Boy to get down into the vault.

2. How is Moldaver still alive and only mildly aged?

3. What is the big deal with "cold fusion"? The vaults run on fusion cores for hundreds of years, along with the power armor. Why was this new form of fusion so sought after?

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018

1. What exactly happened to the residents of Vault 32? They were long gone before the raiders used Lucy's mom Pip-Boy to get down into the vault.

3. What is the big deal with "cold fusion"? The vaults run on fusion cores for hundreds of years, along with the power armor. Why was this new form of fusion so sought after?
1. Their crops died and it looks like they turned on and possibly ate each other.
2. We don't know yet but she was obviously cryo-frozen in some capacity like the others.
3. At first glance, it looks like a very tiny little cold fusion device could power an entire city from a great distance, whereas fusion cores can potentially drain and are heavily localized.

Last edited:

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

1 - There's a lot of "we know the truth" messages painted in blood so they probably found out what's in Vault 31 before everything went to shit. The crops are dead just because they weren't tended in 2 years.
2 - She probably managed to make it to a control Vault (one without experiments going on) on a VIP seat to a cryogenic capsule, same as all the Vault Tec higher ups in Vault 31 thanks to knowing Barb. It's also implied Coop's family did as well, since he asks the dad where are they.
3 - Already explained

Dec 11, 2017
Maple, as for question #1 Vault 32 had things like "Death to Management" scrawled across the walls, so clearly they learned the truth about Vault 31 and started killing themselves and each other, possibly because Vault 31 intentionally sabotaged them.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Wild that anyone would find that charming to me too. Everything felt so forced.

It fits right in line with the innocent 50s vibe. Really from the same vein as Lynch's work. No surprise they went with Kyle Maclachlan as the overseer. And Ella Purnell does a great job acting like his daughter. This isn't anything new, so not sure what's so wild about others finding it charming. It's well established as working for others. It's an affectation, so it won't feel natural, but just because something isn't natural doesn't make it forced either. And it contrasts very well with the how people outside the vaults act. The other half of the charm is how corrupt everything around that attitude/aesthetic feels. It's part of the satire and themes. That seedy underbelly behind the idealized small town America.

Jan 4, 2018

JustWatch Streaming Charts Films & Séries - Màj quotidienne

Le classement JustWatch se base sur l'activité de plus de 40 millions d’utilisateurs mensuels pour les films, séries et saisons du top 10 000.
b4z4.png

www.mediaplaynews.com

Prime Video’s ‘Fallout’ Tops Weekly Whip U.S. Streaming Originals Chart - Media Play News

The Prime Video series “Fallout” topped the Whip Media chart of streaming originals among U.S. consumers for the week ended April 14. The series, based on the role-playing video game franchise, is … Continue reading "Prime Video’s ‘Fallout’ Tops Weekly Whip U.S. Streaming Originals Chart"

Top Streaming Originals Among U.S. Consumers for the Week Ended April 14:

1. "Fallout" — Prime Video (Series Premiere)
  2. "X-Men '97" — Disney+
  3. "Star Wars: The Bad Batch" — Disney+
  4. "Star Trek: Discovery" — Paramount+
  5. "Invincible" (2021) — Prime Video
  6. "Loot" — Apple TV+
  7. "3 Body Problem" — Netflix
  8. "Palm Royale" — Apple TV+
  9. "Sugar" — Apple TV+
  10. "Manhunt" (2024) — Apple TV+

View: https://twitter.com/FO4News/status/1780349791412572442

Last edited:

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017

JustWatch Streaming Charts Films & Séries - Màj quotidienne

Le classement JustWatch se base sur l'activité de plus de 40 millions d’utilisateurs mensuels pour les films, séries et saisons du top 10 000.
b4z4.png

www.mediaplaynews.com

Prime Video’s ‘Fallout’ Tops Weekly Whip U.S. Streaming Originals Chart - Media Play News

The Prime Video series “Fallout” topped the Whip Media chart of streaming originals among U.S. consumers for the week ended April 14. The series, based on the role-playing video game franchise, is … Continue reading "Prime Video’s ‘Fallout’ Tops Weekly Whip U.S. Streaming Originals Chart"

Top Streaming Originals Among U.S. Consumers for the Week Ended April 14:

1. "Fallout" — Prime Video (Series Premiere)
  2. "X-Men '97" — Disney+
  3. "Star Wars: The Bad Batch" — Disney+
  4. "Star Trek: Discovery" — Paramount+
  5. "Invincible" (2021) — Prime Video
  6. "Loot" — Apple TV+
  7. "3 Body Problem" — Netflix
  8. "Palm Royale" — Apple TV+
  9. "Sugar" — Apple TV+
  10. "Manhunt" (2024) — Apple TV+

View: https://twitter.com/FO4News/status/1780349791412572442

Was coming here hoping for some good news. Need more Fallout.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic show. (Really should've been weekly tho, wild they just threw this big budget out there) I think in particular I was really impressed with how it all came together in the 2nd half, especially the finale which the show absolutely nailed.

Part of me thinks I like it more than TLOU? I mean TLOU was great, but an adaptation that's just retelling the story you already experienced (but without the gameplay) is always going to be less interesting than doing your own original story in the same universe. I dunno, again TLOU is great, neither one is objectively better, but man was Fallout a lot more intriguing due to doing its own thing, canon or otherwise. I mean hell, the best episode of TLOU did something entirely different from the main game, so that's more food for thought... I also give it major points for
actually going back to Vault 33 and giving us a compelling mystery out of it.

Anyways, it did a lot right. When this was announced, I really wasn't expecting much, but it really did impress me. Lucy in particular was my favorite, I've only seen Purnell in Yellowjackets, but she was great in this. Really loved her whole plucky attitude and how she struggled to maintain it out in the Wasteland where nearly everyone and everything sucked. Walton Goggins was great as always too. Maximus in comparison... meh. Very hard character to like, that's for sure. I totally get his whole character and all, but I never really warmed up to him much. Though I will give the character props for being a lot more complex than I thought he'd be.

I guess if I had any gripes it would just be that I felt the exploration could've been a little better. Didn't really feel like Lucy went anywhere all that interesting for the most part, I wanted more unique settings.

The sign of a good video game adaptation for me (well, beyond it obviously needing to be good on its own merits), is that it makes me actually feel like playing the game itself. And yea, I'm looking at Fallout: New Vegas (I never played it...), thinking to myself, "Maybe..."

Anyways, loved the show, and can't wait for Season 2.

fallout-lucy-maclean.gif

Cartwynd

Sep 14, 2023
Well, I think it's more that these people are doing press in Japan and so while there why not stop by to meet Kojima?

As an idiot who knows nothing of the business sometimes I wonder if he somehow registered himself as "press" with whatever agency is in charge of setting up local press with celebrities. They show up and are like "oh it's just one guy who wants to show me around his office. Okay I won't be rude".

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Whew, we have truly arrived in the age of video game adaptations. I never really got in to MCU/DCU because the plots and payoff were so predictable. Heroes never die. But game universes are so much more flexible. Fallout has some insane amount of backstory and writing already baked in. S1 was great.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
NIce show, not perfect or amazing. But I like how it's set in the FO world instead of just retelling the same story from the games. Last of Us for example was good, but apart from the Bill episode I felt like it was just a retelling of the game but not as good.

I have to say though I think FO looked cheap at times. The power armour and vault outfits. Maybe a colour grade issue in post.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
NIce show, not perfect or amazing. But I like how it's set in the FO world instead of just retelling the same story from the games. Last of Us for example was good, but apart from the Bill episode I felt like it was just a retelling of the game but not as good.

I have to say though I think FO looked cheap at times. The power armour and vault outfits. Maybe a colour grade issue in post.

With power armour it's cost of them being practical suits worn by actors and/or stuntpeople as much as possible, instead of being CGI at every turn. Also why in Yao Guai fight illusion about the power armour suffers greatly as you can see the bodysuit beneath armour parts.

Feb 16, 2022
Did I misremember or were there some mentions of

manufacturing crisis scenarios for their vault denizens to solve in Vault 32 and 33? I remember them saying there was a crop failure in 33, but I'm not sure if there was any implication that it was a deliberate crisis scenario or if I'm mixing it up with something from the games

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic show. (Really should've been weekly tho, wild they just threw this big budget out there) I think in particular I was really impressed with how it all came together in the 2nd half, especially the finale which the show absolutely nailed.

Part of me thinks I like it more than TLOU? I mean TLOU was great, but an adaptation that's just retelling the story you already experienced (but without the gameplay) is always going to be less interesting than doing your own original story in the same universe. I dunno, again TLOU is great, neither one is objectively better, but man was Fallout a lot more intriguing due to doing its own thing, canon or otherwise. I mean hell, the best episode of TLOU did something entirely different from the main game, so that's more food for thought... I also give it major points for
actually going back to Vault 33 and giving us a compelling mystery out of it.

i'm in a very small minority that actively dislikes the tlou show. at the end it felt like the show was speedrunning the game's plot points just so we can get moments from the game to happen and then it was off to the next thing, and it felt at odds with the pacing earlier on. the best episode was the third one, and i think a lot of it has to do with it being mostly new material.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic show, better than I expected all these years since it was announced. Will be doing a fresh playthrough of New Vegas after I'm done with Unicorn Overlord.

i'm in a very small minority that actively dislikes the tlou show. at the end it felt like the show was speedrunning the game's plot points just so we can get moments from the game to happen and then it was off to the next thing, and it felt at odds with the pacing earlier on. the best episode was the third one, and i think a lot of it has to do with it being mostly new material.

Agree with you here. I don't think TLOU is bad at all, but I don't enjoy it as much as most people do.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
I went in with low expectations and it won me over in a big way. I loved it. Love how they incorporated game mechanics into the story.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I didn't love it, nothing that happened, main quest story-wise, was a surprise to me. Which is fine. As I was watching it I was thinking, yup that's a Fallout quest. Ah another. So it kinda reminded me too much of a video game, as nonsensical as that seems, it being adapted from one. I've never liked the Fallout Aesthetics that came with Fallout 4 and 76, they turn me off something fierce, and this looked like them. So it was okay, I suspect my disinterest in Fallout is driving my apathy. It was not bad by any means, I just didn't love it. I'm certainly interested to see how New Vegas is depicted though, so that hooked me for the next series.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Did I misremember or were there some mentions of

manufacturing crisis scenarios for their vault denizens to solve in Vault 32 and 33? I remember them saying there was a crop failure in 33, but I'm not sure if there was any implication that it was a deliberate crisis scenario or if I'm mixing it up with something from the games

Yes, it's implied that they manufacture crisis scenarios in 32 and 33 in the run up to elections in order to make people vote for Vault 31 residents. "When things look glum, vote 31!"

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
That Tweet is from a year ago.

Interesting. Was she promoting something then or is she a voice actor in DS2?

As an idiot who knows nothing of the business sometimes I wonder if he somehow registered himself as "press" with whatever agency is in charge of setting up local press with celebrities. They show up and are like "oh it's just one guy who wants to show me around his office. Okay I won't be rude".

Doubtful, but you never know. The reason I doubt is that other than snapping some pictures, there is no press about whatever they are promoting with Kojima. Rather, it always seems like fans of his work stopping by while on their press tour.

Oct 25, 2017
I was entertained. Are any of these chars in the games or is this a new story in the Fallout world? Never played the games. Is the whole world fucked or is it just America?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I was entertained. Are any of these chars in the games or is this a new story in the Fallout world? Never played the games. Is the whole world fucked or is it just America?

The whole world is fucked, but we really only know for sure the extent of the damage to the US, Russia and China as they were the three targets for most of the nukes.

None of the main characters in this show are from the games. There is at least one game cameo but that's it.

Which means she probably is playing a character in DS2 lol

Eh. Kojima takes a picture with literally every famous person he can get close to. Doesn't mean they're all in his game.

Dude's just really desperate to look like he's "friends" with people in Hollywood.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Finished the show and damn Bethesda should have put out some "Play as Lucy!" dlc for 4 because now I just want to play through one of the games roleplaying as her.

What a fun show. Walton Goggins as a ghoul was so damn inspired, he stole every scene he was in.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Finished the show and damn Bethesda should have put out some "Play as Lucy!" dlc for 4 because now I just want to play through one of the games roleplaying as her.

What a fun show. Walton Goggins as a ghoul was so damn inspired, he stole every scene he was in.
I mean you can make her in the character creator lol

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I have tried to make my face in character creators numerous times and I'm always like "holy shit am I that ugly or am I just bad at this..." and then I try to not think about the possibility of all the above.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I imagine the Brotherhood are either going to put cold fusion in a lockbox and just forget about it or use it to power a giant robot to intimidate farmers.

They're absolutely going to use it as a weapon, I think.

Either die a heroic faction (First Maxson days) or live long enough to see yourself become the new Enclave.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It fits right in line with the innocent 50s vibe. Really from the same vein as Lynch's work. No surprise they went with Kyle Maclachlan as the overseer. And Ella Purnell does a great job acting like his daughter. This isn't anything new, so not sure what's so wild about others finding it charming. It's well established as working for others. It's an affectation, so it won't feel natural, but just because something isn't natural doesn't make it forced either. And it contrasts very well with the how people outside the vaults act. The other half of the charm is how corrupt everything around that attitude/aesthetic feels. It's part of the satire and themes. That seedy underbelly behind the idealized small town America.
Not sure what's so wild about others finding it not charming, I didn't bring that up. Take it up with the person who did.

And yes, to me it feels forced.