• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Loved watching this. It just felt like they made all the right choices here, which is not a given for amazon shows.

Looking forward to S2 :)

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who has tried but never finished a Bethesda game (no, never played the first two Fallouts either) I really enjoyed this and knew just enough to catch some stuff.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I was listening to the local news radio at work in Phoenix and the topic was "recently watched tv shows" and one of the two broadcasters recommended Fallout. Older guy, kind of Conservative leaning. I was like damn, it really is hitting the masses isn't it?

I don't recall anything quite like this since Stranger Things, and perhaps GoT when it really started taking over pop culture mindshare

people I know who don't watch much TV in general much less play games (or get into anything "nerdy") have watched it and are sussing out the type of discussions and theories we're talking about here

Last edited:

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
OK question I've thought about today regarding the reveal in the last episode:

Is it meant to be that the "Raiders" in episode 1 aren't raiders but NCR soldiers? If not how was Muldhaver leading them?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

Is it meant to be that the "Raiders" in episode 1 aren't raiders but NCR soldiers? If not how was Muldhaver leading them?

Pretty sure the reveals at the end make what happened in the first episode nonsensical. Everything from Moldaver's crew being psychotic raiders to Hank not knowing that Vault 32 collapsed years go and not recognizing Moldaver was a threat is baffling in retrospect.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Pretty sure the reveals at the end make what happened in the first episode nonsensical. Everything from Moldaver's crew being psychotic raiders to Hank not knowing that Vault 32 collapsed years go and not recognizing Moldaver was a threat is baffling in retrospect.

Damn. Here I was trying to figure out how Moldaver survived all that time when there were even more questions like this to worry about. Given how tight the storytelling was, I can only assume they'll explain everything leading up to that fateful wedding in season 2.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I actually didn't even realize this.

I wonder if there's some possibility that he didn't know Moldaver from before when Shady Sands was still standing. the thing is, he kinda implies he does in the last episode so it's all very confusing lol

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Here I was trying to figure out how Moldaver survived all that time when there were even more questions like this to worry about. Given how tight the storytelling was, I can only assume they'll explain everything leading up to that fateful wedding in season 2.

They established that Moldaver was rich after Vault-Tec bought out all her companies to prevent cold fusion tech from proliferating so I assume she had her own cryo pod that destroyed in Shady Sands. Maybe she had cloning tech or something to reemerge over the years and that's why she has all that phoenix imagery around her.

But yea they've left a lot unsaid beyond the parts that seem inconsistent right now so maybe the later seasons will justify it.

Loose Cannon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with it mainly because I think the point is once the bombs drop, there really no coming back. It'll be a wasteland forever because it's too far gone. And honestly, for the franchise, society rebuilding and flourishing doesn't fit with the themes.
I couldn't disagree more, all the Fallout games (apart from 76 maybe I'm not familiar with it) are about society rebuilding and then, if the player wants to, helping the civilisations flourish.

Just one example among many is, appropiately, the Fallout 1 canon ending slide for Shady Sands "In Shady Sands, Tandi helps her father Aradesh bring a new community and new life out of the broken remains of the world. They are responsible for the New California Republic, whose ideals spread across the land."

2 and 3(kind of), New Vegas and 4 then ask the player to decide which societies deserve to thrive when they clash.

This is one of people's favourite things about these games.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
I couldn't disagree more, all the Fallout games (apart from 76 maybe I'm not familiar with it) are about society rebuilding and then, if the player wants to, helping the civilisations flourish.

Just one example among many is, appropiately, the Fallout 1 canon ending slide for Shady Sands "In Shady Sands, Tandi helps her father Aradesh bring a new community and new life out of the broken remains of the world. They are responsible for the New California Republic, whose ideals spread across the land."

2 and 3(kind of), New Vegas and 4 then ask the player to decide which societies deserve to thrive when they clash.

Absolutely. One reason so many people were upset by the destruction of Shady Sands (and the decline or even destruction of the NCR) was that players watched the New California Republic grow over the course of multiple games. That's also why people are going to be upset if it turns out that New Vegas was destroyed/deserted after the events of the game.

From a storytelling standpoint I understand how attractive a blank slate is, but it sucks for players who get invested in their individual stories.

Carlquincy

Jul 25, 2022
It was implied in the show that the
original denizens of the vault discovered the truth of the 3 vaults, went nuts and murdered each other in various conflicts and power struggles, so essentially Vault 32 destroyed itself, or some other scheme that we haven't heard about yet set them on a dark path, which is not an unprecedented thing in the Fallout world.
I see. Thanks

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I feel like I missed something really important about this show. Why did Lucy's dad want to be kidnapped from the vault? And why did he give that whole sentimental speech at her wedding if he knew the raiders were just going to try to kill everyone? Didn't he know they were going to try to kill his daughter? Why would he agree to this? It seems like they were trying to suggest that he really did care about his daughter but was somehow just blinded by his mission. But it didn't make any sense to me.

Again I probably missed something but wondering if someone can help explain!
My take: He didn't. He didn't. No. He didn't.

I think they're just hired guns.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017

Cult power, we already saw people in Vault 4 worship her for some reason. I don't remember seeing any reason why the people she had there couldn't be scum.

Feb 16, 2022
They have some ways out for those apparent plot holes, as there was nothing indicating the Vaults stay in regular contact with each other other than when transfers happen, and a couple of years with no transfers don't sound like much of a stretch. There was also nothing from the flashback that would necessitate Hank knowing who Moldaver really is, as she was using a different name in the past, and we didn't see them meet each other. Hank likely only knew of post-Great War Moldaver from when Rose escaped to Shady Sands, and even then he wasn't seeing her face to face either. Everything else he didn't know could've been told to him by Moldaver when he was in captive throughout the season.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it last night. It stands as just a really well done show on its own divorced from the source material. We live in an era of prestige TV but I often have issues with pacing, the way shows juggle multiple story lines following several characters, etc. This one nailed it. It just moved, didn't feel like it ever dragged or rushed, and had me the whole time.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
Got around watching the first episode 'The End', and a wave of nostalgia hit me like a truck.

Fallout 5 needs to happen.

Yeah, too bad* Bethesda are focused Elder Scrolls VI, and who knows when that'll be out. Not joking when I say that I'm not expecting Fallout 5 to release until the 2030s. I would hope maybe they'd pull a New Vegas and let another studio shoot their shot, but I think they are making enough caps off of Fallout 76 (and probably Fallout Shelter) to not feel rushed to launch another Fallout game.

*Not really "too bad" since I love the mainline Elder Scrolls games.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Finished the series. Really enjoyed it, am looking forward to seeing what happens in season 2.
Everything from Moldaver's crew being psychotic raiders .
I think those were just some random raiders she hired to attack the vault. It wouldn't be the first time the NCR has hired raiders to do their dirty work for them. They were doing stuff like this back in Fallout 2 so I don't see them being above working with raiders again, especially after Shady Sands was nuked.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
They have some ways out for those apparent plot holes, as there was nothing indicating the Vaults stay in regular contact with each other other than when transfers happen, and a couple of years with no transfers don't sound like much of a stretch. There was also nothing from the flashback that would necessitate Hank knowing who Moldaver really is, as she was using a different name in the past, and we didn't see them meet each other. Hank likely only knew of post-Great War Moldaver from when Rose escaped to Shady Sands, and even then he wasn't seeing her face to face either. Everything else he didn't know could've been told to him by Moldaver when he was in captive throughout the season.

I'm torn on the idea that no one noticed Vault 32 collapsed due to supreme overconfidence to allow that level of autonomy because it would fit the satire of the society Bud is trying to build but I think it makes way more sense that Bud would be controlling enough to check in on the vaults to notice something like that. He's a bullshit corporate manager who devised the end of the world to recreate society under his own control.

I could seem them making it so Hank didn't recognize Moldaver as a threat despite their history and that she's not part of Bud's Buds but I would find that very unsatisfying. She clearly loved Rose and the idea that Hank never saw her when he took Lucy back feels off.

I think those were just some random raiders she hired to attack the vault. It wouldn't be the first time the NCR has hired raiders to do their dirty work for them. They were doing stuff like this back in Fallout 2 so I don't see them being above working with raiders again, especially after Shady Sands was nuked.

She hired people who could barely hold it together to infiltrate a vault before brutalizing everyone inside when they needed to get a specific person out alive? Not to mention part of the plan was to have someone marry rape/kill Rose's daughter. Moldaver isn't the most virtuous person even in the blasted out wasteland but that seems to be both incredibly stupid and abjectly cruel.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Really bums me out seeing Maximus getting the hate he does.

I swear to god, if they turn this wonderfully weird himbo into a more generic character in season two, I will never forgive you guys.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Really bums me out seeing Maximus getting the hate he does.

I swear to god, if they turn this wonderfully weird himbo into a more generic character in season two, I will never forgive you guys.
Yeah I ended up kind of liking him by the end. Once he meets up with Lucy, and particularly when they go into the vault, I find he comes into his own more and his personality shines through. I was kind of disappointed when he rejoins with the Brotherhood because he's a lot more boring when in that environment. Hopefully that changes up again in S2.

Fnor

Nov 7, 2023
The back half of the show is all about the three main characters leaving their bubble and widening their point of view and then returning to their bubble changed.

Is obsessed with gaining favor with the brotherhood to the point where he lets his knight die in order to get a chance at bringing the head back himself. He meets Lucy, who is selfless to a fault, and experiences life outside of the brotherhood in the vault. He then goes back to the brotherhood, but his perspective changed; he now knows that it's possible to have a coherent non-military social order, he's unwilling to take credit for something he didn't do despite the ostensible reward for getting that credit, and he is generally uneasy the entire attack on the NCR remnant.

Is extremely programmed and that only really starts to crack when she sees how cruel everyone on the surface is, particularly Cooper. This hits a high point when she and Maximus meet the fiends. They end up back in a vault, but the wary part of her that developed prior to that makes her see the worst in everyone because they're so different and, to her mind, menacing. In the end she's still looking for her dad, but now she knows what really happened and is clearly conflicted about what to do about him, even if she can't just let him go.

Is a bit different in that this progression is mirrored between the past and present scenes. In the past, his naivete led him to blindly trust his wife, which led to Valt-Tec work and being blacklisted in Hollywood. In the present, his baked-in cynicism prevented him from working with Lucy, which in turn almost killed him. In the past, he starts questioning his naivete and goes to the meeting, ultimately learning the truth. In the present, he falsely takes credit for shooting up the mart to keep the heat off of Lucy and onyl starts killing people when he's out of options. In the past, he ends turning his back on his family because of what he learned. In the present, he refocuses on finding his family with Lucy's help because she disarmed (to some extent) that cynicism.

They're all going through the same process in very different ways. I feel that is what makes a show with frequent flashbacks and three separate narrative tracks work because the themes are consistent throughout. Even if we're not pointing at the TV shouting "he learned something!" the parallels they've created between the characters make it feel like one coherent whole about life post-apocalypse weaving through those factions rather than three characters doing their own thing (like, say, Rings of Power). I think all three characters were very well done.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I ended up kind of liking him by the end. Once he meets up with Lucy, and particularly when they go into the vault, I find he comes into his own more and his personality shines through. I was kind of disappointed when he rejoins with the Brotherhood because he's a lot more boring when in that environment. Hopefully that changes up again in S2.

He's back as a knight though. That position will afford him more agency in the Brotherhood storylines. The Brotherhood having a new tool at their disposal will also make them major players in the next season. I'm pretty onboard to see where it goes.

Jindujun

Dec 7, 2023
Yeah, too bad* Bethesda are focused Elder Scrolls VI, and who knows when that'll be out. Not joking when I say that I'm not expecting Fallout 5 to release until the 2030s. I would hope maybe they'd pull a New Vegas and let another studio shoot their shot, but I think they are making enough caps off of Fallout 76 (and probably Fallout Shelter) to not feel rushed to launch another Fallout game.

Dont you worry! Obsidian AND Bethesda both owned by Microsoft might give us that New Vegas 2 game we all wanted!

Jan 19, 2022
So having watched all of it and sitting it on it for a few days, I really, really liked it it in general, but I do think there a few issues that bring it down for me.
First, the positives:

Ella Purnell as Lucy and Walton Goggins as The Ghoul were just incredible throughout the whole series. I loved their characters and they were performed magnificently. I think Aaron Moten did a good effort with the material, but I think his character of Maximus was pretty boring throughout.

I loved the setting and tone. I think the series managed to find a perfect balance between humor and horror. The visuals, costume design, and set design were all magnificent. I really, really appreciate that the Brotherhood of Steel were humongous assholes.

I also appreciate that the show didn't rely so heavily on member berries to get a positive response. The complete lack of Deathclaws or Super Mutants was a good thing in my opinion as well as the very minimal role of the Enclave. There was one very tiny moment at the end with the reveal of the NCR which tickled my member berries, but it felt earned.

Now the big issue I have. Obvious spoilers ahead:

I just think that all of the big reveals kind of sucked outside of the relatively minor reveal of the NCR. There were so many and none of them felt weighty or believable. The reveal that the head contained the secrets of cold fusion was underwhelming because there was no real theatric direction from that. I guess the Brotherhood will be even more powerful and autocratic in the future? Maybe if there was some hint that the Brotherhood would use the tech to attack the Enclave, that could be cool, but it just seemed like it was irrelevant to the plot overall. I also disliked that so many characters were cryogenically frozen and were from the past. I am not sure why, but it feels like it robs the present timeline of agency. Lucy's father nuking Shady Sands lacked believability for me and I am not sure why.

But the big, big issue I had was with the reveal that the corporations dropped the bomb. It lacked believability and I really didn't like the vast corporate conspiracy explanation.

Overall, there wasn't one big plot problem I had at the end of the series, just a lot of weird choices that collectively weakened the payoff.

Last edited:

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019

I agree with you - Fallout is about rebuilding (as opposed to the Last of Us, which is about how you can't rebuild or maybe even shouldn't).

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
So having watched all of it and sitting it on it for a few days, I really, really liked it it in general, but I do think there a few issues that bring it down for me.
First, the positives:

Ella Purnell as Lucy and Walton Goggins as The Ghoul were just incredible throughout the whole series. I loved their characters and they were performed magnificently. I think Aaron Moten did a good effort with the material, but I think his character of Maximus was pretty boring throughout.

I loved the setting and tone. I think the series managed to find a perfect balance between humor and horror. The visuals, costume design, and set design were all magnificent. I really, really appreciate that the Brotherhood of Steel were humongous assholes.

I also appreciate that the show didn't rely so heavily on member berries to get a positive response. The complete lack of Deathclaws or Super Mutants was a good thing in my opinion as well as the very minimal role of the Enclave. There was one very tiny moment at the end with the reveal of the NCR which tickled my member berries, but it felt earned.

Now the big issue I have. Obvious spoilers ahead:

I just think that all of the big reveals kind of sucked outside of the relatively minor reveal of the NCR. There were so many and none of them felt weighty or believable. The reveal that the head contained plans the secrets or cold fusion was underwhelming because there was no real theatric direction from that. I guess the Brotherhood will be even more powerful and autocratic in the future? Maybe if there was some hint that the Brotherhood would use the tech to attack the Enclave, that could be cool, but it just seemed like it was irrelevant to the plot overall. I also disliked that so many characters were cryogenically frozen and were from the past. I am not sure why, but it feels like it robs the present timeline of agency. Lucy's father nuking Shady Sands lacked believability for me and I am not sure why.

But the big, big issue I had was with the reveal that the corporations dropped the bomb. It lacked believability and I really didn't like the vast corporate conspiracy explanation.

Overall, there wasn't one big plot problem I had at the end of the series, just a lot of weird choices that collectively weakened the payoff.
I don't think that Vault-Tec actually dropped the bombs, just that they were willing to do so if it looked like peace was going to come. It doesn't make any sense that Cooper's kid wouldn't be in a safe place before the bombs fell if it was done by Vault-Tec

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the discussion I'm seeing around isn't so much hating Maximus but more so that both Lucy and The Ghoul already feel "iconic" and beloved whilst Maximus's storyline in this first season wasn't quite as strong.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023

I agree that it doesn't make any sense for a frozen Vault-Tec middle manager to have that kind of power. I mean, to me it doesn't even make sense for Vault-Tec to have that kind of power. My theory/rationalization is that Hank (either directly or via Bud) appealed to the power behind Vault-Tec hinted at in the Society of Evil Corporations scene. Presumably, it's also related to where Hank is headed at the end of the show.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I don't like Lucy and Maximus together romantically. I hope that kiss is played off as just them both getting swept up in the vibes cause of everything that happened. Then I hope Maximus and Dane end up together, because they work off each other better. Plus I want to see Dane have their own character arc since they were already showing some cracks in their "Brotherhood fuck yeah" facade when it was revealed they put the razor in their own boot.

Also, I headcanon Lucy as aromantic.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I don't like Lucy and Maximus together romantically. I hope that kiss is played off as just them both getting swept up in the vibes cause of everything that happened. Then I hope Maximus and Dane end up together, because they work off each other better. Plus I want to see Dane have their own character arc since they were already showing some cracks in their "Brotherhood fuck yeah" facade when it was revealed they put the razor in their own boot.

Also, I headcanon Lucy as aromantic.

Well
Lucy being aromantic makes certain sense when you look at how she behaves about attachment, sex, and having children. She gets married to a man she has known for 5 minutes, he is referred to as a breeder which doesn't raise eyebrows, and she sleeps with him after knowing him for 10 minutes and is very likely looking to have a child. How she has been raised by society contained in a Vault most likely has her viewing finding a partner and having a children more as her duty in their society. True love and romance isn't a consideration.

Just like when she suggests to Maximus that they have sex. To me there was no indication of romantic feelings towards Maximus, but more of her wanting to act out on theirs.. hers.. physical needs and physical attraction. Same with when she invites him to live with her in the Vault, she sees him as suitable partner. In last episode we can say that we are closer to romantic affection, but even then they have gone through a lot together at that point so there is bound to be feelings for each others wellbeing.

I guess that overtime we will see Lucy starting to become more surface dweller, and starting to lose societal expectations given to her by a Vault life. Maximus most likely becomes ever more disillusioned with Brotherhood as he sees how rotten it has become, and how Brotherhood never was going to live up to his expectations. Ghoul most likely becomes softer and more in touch with his humanity with more time he spends with Lucy.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Now I want a It's Always Sunny and Fallout crossover. Imagine the Gang in the Wasteland...

dlLut4t.gif

View: https://twitter.com/falloutonprime/status/1783217596537712771

Megapighead

May 2, 2018
I feel like I'm missing something - bored out of my mind after the first episode. Does it get better or is this show just not for me?

Jun 24, 2019

We'll get Season 2 before that. Probably even Season 3. :(

insider-gaming.com

Xbox Wants The Next Fallout Game To Come Sooner, It's Claimed

It has been claimed that Xbox wants the next Fallout game - potentially Fallout 5 - to come as soon as possible as hype persists.

Don't know if our prayers are answered or they'll botch it up, but companies are thinking about it.

Not all hope is lost.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Just watched the first episode last night................

the violence is really just too much. Why are so many shows like this nowadays?

Did not feel very Fallout to me either. The stuff is there but the vibe.... is just something completely different to me. Maybe it was a long time since I played the games?

Is this influenced more by 3 and 4? Those I never played, only New Vegas, 1 and 2.

Zoomed in shots of violence is just at the top of the list for directors/creators nowadays. So much gruesome stuff in the first episode. Is it calmer later or is it just like that?