• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018
Update:

"Fallout" has done it again. Amazon's series adaptation of the popular video game franchise holds the No. 1 position for the second week in a row.

www.thewrap.com

Challengers Volleys Into Top 10 Titles Consumers Are Most Excited About

Zendaya's buzzy Tennis romance Challengers joins the ScreenShare weekly Top 10, Amazon's Fallout holds down the No. 1 spot for another week.

kaj3.jpg

'Fallout' Becomes First TV Series to Top List of Titles Consumers Are Most Excited About Since 'The Last of Us'

www.yahoo.com

‘Fallout’ Becomes First TV Series to Top List of Titles Consumers Are Most Excited About Since ‘The Last of Us’

ScreenShare: A data partnership between ScreenEngine/ASI & TheWrap The post ‘Fallout’ Becomes First TV Series to Top List of Titles Consumers Are Most Excited About Since ‘The Last of Us’ appeared first on TheWrap.

What are the entertainment offerings that consumers are most excited about? It's a question that marketers, distributors, advertisers and media publications are always asking.

ScreenShare, a data partnership between Screen Engine/ASI and TheWrap, tracks the Top 10 most-mentioned entertainment items every week and whether each has gained or lost momentum compared to the prior week. The chart lives on the Data & Analysis page of the WrapPRO Members Hub.

"Fallout," streaming on Amazon Prime Video, rises to No. 1 after debuting at No. 4 last week. Based on the video game series by Bethesda Game Studios, "Fallout" is the first TV series to reach No. 1 since March of 2023, when HBO's adaptation of the Naughty Dog game "The Last of Us" held the top spot.

"While we often see popular established titles such as 'Yellowstone,' 'Stranger Things' and 'The Walking Dead' in the Top 10, it is rare to see a TV series launch with this level of excitement out of the gate," notes Ben Spergel, Screen Engine's SVP, Syndicated Tracking. "Given the last time we saw this was with HBO's 'The Last of Us,' this speaks highly of the 'video game to TV series' genre in terms of fan enthusiasm."

9v1y.jpg

Last edited:

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Deserved (for both) tbh.

Inb4 the C-suits see this and decided to make every single gaming IP into a show for the next 10-15 years.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Even some of my mainstream co-workers are watching & talking about it, they don't even understand what gaming is haha.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I was so sceptical of this show but it completely rules. Top to bottom triumphant.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
After seeing all the hype threads here, me and my wife started this a few days ago. 3 episodes in and wow. It's gone straight to the top of our favourites alongside Mandalorian and TLOU (both of which we are rewatching in disc quality at the moment).

I hope Fallout gets a disc version because the only criticism I have is the bitrate leaves a lot to be desired (and the HDR/Dolbyvision isn't impactful, not sure if that is related to bitrate or a separate issue with the mastering/metadata).

Also it's made me want to finally, finally give a Fallout game a shot and my wife will be on board too since she likes the show, so that's great.

I love the World, the lore. It's like it has elements of other games/media I like all rolled into one. Mad Max, FFVII, TLOU, Portal 2, Star Wars, Resident Evil.

AzureSky

Dec 11, 2017
Deserved (for both) tbh.

Inb4 the C-suits see this and decided to make every single gaming IP into a show for the next 10-15 years.

i'm fine with that. Games might offer new ideas, it might get us a few gems.

Tomb Raider TV? Sure
Zelda - The Animated Show? Alright
Mass Effect Movie Trilogy? - I'm in.

there are so many great settings.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Tomb Raider TV? Sure

If I could get a serial pirate adventure series in the Sea of Thieves universe I would die happy

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Tomb Raider TV? Sure

The issue isn't the settings. Bunch of fantastic ones across almost all genres one can think of! The issue is these (tv/film) companies seeing a quick cashcow and ruining IP's with shitty shows and films. Hopefully it won't be the case though....

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The issue isn't the settings. Bunch of fantastic ones across almost all genres one can think of! The issue is these (tv/film) companies seeing a quick cashcow and ruining IP's with shitty shows and films. Hopefully it won't be the case though....

Yeah, you need someone who is passionate about the project, otherwise you get turds like Halo.
There is also an issue with show creators who want to tell their own story but couldn't get funding for their story and co-opt gaming or book IP to their vision, it can work (like Foundation somewhat) but more likely it will alienate fans and non-fans are not enough to take the project into the black.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Not a massive surprise, I suspect the people who could access Fallout significantly outnumbers the ones who could access TLOU.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
After seeing all the hype threads here, me and my wife started this a few days ago. 3 episodes in and wow. It's gone straight to the top of our favourites alongside Mandalorian and TLOU (both of which we are rewatching in disc quality at the moment).

I hope Fallout gets a disc version because the only criticism I have is the bitrate leaves a lot to be desired (and the HDR/Dolbyvision isn't impactful, not sure if that is related to bitrate or a separate issue with the mastering/metadata).

Also it's made me want to finally, finally give a Fallout game a shot and my wife will be on board too since she likes the show, so that's great.

I love the World, the lore. It's like it has elements of other games/media I like all rolled into one. Mad Max, FFVII, TLOU, Portal 2, Star Wars, Resident Evil.

Yeah, it kills me with Wheel of Time the same way. I want 4K discs so I can watch this stuff in the quality intended.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I wonder if there's a scramble in Microsoft & Bethesda to find someone who can make a Fallout game in a more near future than waiting 10 years for the next proper Bethesda one

Love to see the success of the show though. It was absolutely fantastic.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Happy both shows turned out great, can't wait for their second seasons.

Hope Horizon and God of War work out too.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there's a scramble in Microsoft & Bethesda to find someone who can make a Fallout game in a more near future than waiting 10 years for the next proper Bethesda one

Well folks keep clamoring for Obsidian and this is back on the West Coast lore wise. You could also go crazy and try to develop a third person Brotherhood of Steel game in the Gears engine.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020

If anything, and seeing the impact it had on the existing Fallout titles, MS and Bethesda might be looking at ways to expedite Season 2 or do TV spinoffs and perhaps even a movie. Video game budgets are crazy now.

But yes, I wish they fastracked a new Fallout Tactics or even an FPS/TPS in the same universe if BGS main studio still wants to do the traditional Fallout entry at their own pace

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Fallout was pretty good and looking forward to the next Season. Halo/Witcher should be taking notes on how to not fuck up a franchise

Aug 26, 2021
Don't forget Castlevania. It seems that TV is a much, much better format for video game adaptations.
I think the reason that's the case is bc the best video game storytelling is character based. You can't control how fast or slow people play games, and most of the time you'll be in action. Therefore, characters should take priority, as the time you spend with them will take way more of your time than "plot."

TV's biggest strength is character work, so it just goes hand in hand.

Oct 26, 2017
Really happy for Jon Nolan. Felt like he really needed a home run after Peripheral and West World. Loved the show myself and think it's the best videogame adaptation I've seen to date

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome!

Hope Hollywood takes it as a lesson to respect source material, and have talented people make the adaptations.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
It was only a matter of time until the suites discovered that Games are just as ripe as comics & superheroes.
Just PLEASE make it good, is all I ask for.