• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Halo-fans-slam-microsoft-for-fallout-show-success-master-chief-sad-vault-boy-wink-point.jpg

If you've been frequenting the forum or keeping track of game news in-general, you'll see that the popularity of the Fallout show on Amazon has been a huge success to the brand across the board. With it blowing up interest in all of the titles and attracting a new audience of fans (along with enticing newbies with a free next-gen update for F4). This is on top of how well the series had cross-promotion across other brands in merchandising and food. It has been a success across the board and just a good example of what bringing an IP to another format can do for gaming.

This brings me to Halo and how terrible the cross-promotion was for it (which is odd in hindsight as MS were the masters of marketing for Halo 2 & 3). The series premiered on paramount plus and the only cross promotion was some emblems for Halo Infinite after the fact. It was just a thing that happened rather than the event Fallout has been.

Now granted, some of this could be chalked up to the quality of the show or it being stuck on Paramount+ which isn't as popular as Amazon Prime. Regardless, the contrast between how both of the shows launched and the reception within the same company is just rather crazy to see.

This isn't me saying every gaming show needs to do this, but there are obvious perks for it and it's just interesting to see a large IP like Halo just come and go show wise while Fallout will likely continue to go strong even with no new games on the horizon.

TL;DR - The success of the Fallout show and how Bethesda planned numerous activities around it really highlight how poorly handled the Halo show was in drawing interest to the game itself.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a terrible first season in a platform no one has, and as usual with Microsoft, didn't care for anyone outside of US/UK and didn't release anywhere else for months.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fallout is probably easier to get into, though, since a lot of the humor and personality translate well. In Halo, you're a jacked up usually silent space marine shooting things for 8 hours. Then there is multiplayer which isn't fun for new casual players.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What works well with Fallout and TLOU is that the show respects its source material. Halo on the other hand just shits all over it, kinda like how 343 has handled the franchise.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's a fair criticism. Microsoft, Halo, and bungling/mismanagement seem hand-in-hand-in-hand these days, and has been for quite some time sadly.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I said in another thread, my friends who had no idea anything about Halo felt they had to know too much about the games to continue watching after two episodes. and myself and friends who knew the story of the games/world felt it went too far away from the games/story and wasn't what we wanted to watch.

It was just bad for everyone.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I said in another thread, my friends who had no idea anything about Halo felt they had to know too much about the games to continue watching after two episodes. and myself and friends who knew the story of the games/world felt it went too far away from the games/story and wasn't what we wanted to watch.

It was just bad for everyone.

It really seemed like a show for literally nobody. One of those "why did it turn out this way?" questions for the ages.

Do we have an idea the impact The Last of Us show had on sales and playbase of the games?

Not on this level, at least. Fallout is in a unique spot because those games are EVERYWHERE and there are a TON of them, so people are trying out all sorts of Fallout content because of the show. There's just the two TLOU games and one of them is literally the exact same story as the show. Not as much room to grow.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I think the Fallout marketing has been really great - constantly saw banners for it on amazon, the products were all pretty decent that they rolled out ahead of time (the figures looked really nice and sold out very quickly, the other stuff kind of seems like it has the artwork slapped on it but honestly, i have quite a few Monthly Pokemon Shirts from amazon and they're all decent quality) and the cross promo stuff was neat, especially the Jones Soda collab.

Halo on the other hand, despite not being a fan...i really can't say I saw much at all in the way of promo. Honestly, I'm not even sure I remember seeing a trailer for the game, and thats with using a Xbox as my primary console and there should have been ad tiles on the Xbox home screen or something.

I guess it also probably helps that the Fallout series was well received by fans and non-gamers alike, but the Halo show was not lol

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Master Cheeks forever in our hearts.

Halo was a terrible IP to do a live action of, specially one centered around the master chief

It's a great and expansive IP, one that doesn't necessarily have to be centered around MC. And even if, Manadalorian proved you really can make something compelling with a "strong silent type" with a helmet whose humanity is exposed mostly due to their companion/s.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
The sole defense I will offer up for Halo is that space warfare against huge aliens is much harder to make happen on-screen than post-apocalyptic California.

and that Fallout as a setting is an engine for exploring human interaction, whereas Halo as a setting is an engine for revealing yet another alien race/artefact/asshole that was behind everything.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the recent video game boom has had a lot of surprises - successes where I would have assumed a bomb and vice-versa.

Like, Fallout is a critical darling, Halo is something people are hate-watching? Sonic the Hedgehog gets a beloved trilogy, while Detective Pikachu is forgotten? Tomb Raider reboot underperforms, Uncharted is a hit? There's Twisted Metal show and people actually liked it?

It's a weird new world, and I think it goes to show that a strong creative instinct can carry a lot of weight... and marketing works.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
If you have any Fallout crap sitting around, now is a good time to sell it too. That junk PipBoy CE sitting in your closet? Sell it

I sold my generic strategy guides for 50 a pop online, they were just sitting on my shelf, I was never going to use em

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Yeah, it is obvious just how little people cared about the Halo show beyond its fans.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
It sucks, because I actually think Pablo is a great casting for the Chief.

But everything about the show, from the writing, to other casting choices, to the fact that they had to make it a silver timeline, etc. It all sucks.

And also, I think I would say they only made a single good action sequence (haven't watched the very last episode of season 2 yet, though), and it was during episode 5 of Season 1. Rest felt badly written and directed.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But Master Cheeks though!

S2 tried its best (sort of), but tbh there was no coming back after this (the sex scene in particular), S1 really was putrid

Halo was a terrible IP to do a live action of, specially one centered around the master chief

Eh, it worked for Mando, and he actually wears his helmet nearly full-time, just saying...

That said, I always liked the idea of a show that has someone else as the MC instead, and you just see MC sporadically instead.

I mean being on Prime helps with Fallout

Very fair point, I know Halo got some decent marketing, but besides being on Prime, Fallout got an absurd level of marketing that would've made a big dent even if the show wasn't as good as it ended up being

And also, I think I would say they only made a single good action sequence (haven't watched the very last one yet, though), and it was during episode 5 of Season 1. Rest felt badly written and directed.

I thought the opening in S2 was pretty good

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
TL;DR - The success of the Fallout show and how Bethesda planned numerous activities around it really highlight how poorly handled the Halo show was in drawing interest to the game itself.

Honestly? I don't think that Bethesda has done that much to get the franchise ready for the show. The Next Gen Update was a bit more of a happy accident. It was announced as coming well over a year ago, and was delayed and delayed until it eventually became kind of obvious to coincide it with the Fallout show.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
It was a terrible first season in a platform no one has, and as usual with Microsoft, didn't care for anyone outside of US/UK and didn't release anywhere else for months.
That's on Paramount, not Microsoft. It's Paramount's responsibility where their app and service is available and what local networks/services they license the show to.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
The original Halo trilogy is one of the best sci-fi stories ever imo. A show about it should have been a homerun.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Not on this level, at least. Fallout is in a unique spot because those games are EVERYWHERE and there are a TON of them, so people are trying out all sorts of Fallout content because of the show. There's just the two TLOU games and one of them is literally the exact same story as the show. Not as much room to grow.

A lot

www.tweaktown.com

Last of Us game sales increased 'dramatically' with every TV show episode

Every new episode of The Last of Us HBO TV series helped dramatically spike franchise game sales: 'Each week an episode dropped we sold al ot more games'

I see, thanks. I was thinking that the other series that we can more clearly see the impact of the series in the games is The Witcher, which is also an RPG. And maybe this has to do with the impact a tv series can have in game sales.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the show and the two people I know who watched it both liked it. (Non Halo fans)

But everyone else in my friends group doesn't have Paramount+. UK folks here seem to not know it exists.

People watched Last of Us and thought it was great.
Everyone has watched Fallout and love it.

I think Halo could be better and it could definitely be in front of more people on a platform people actually watch.

As a side note though, I love Paramount+. The Star Trek stuff, Twin Peaks is on there, great library of movies. I get it because my dad pays for Sky in the UK and Paramount + is included if you have the movie package.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
the bigger problems is all the lore and books of HALO are just fucking lame from a sci-fi POV. Halo is 99% about shooting.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
No one I know had Paramount Plus, biggest mistake there. A show can't blow up if no one has the service.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I like the show and the two people I know who watched it both liked it. (Non Halo fans)

But everyone else in my friends group doesn't have Paramount+. UK folks here seem to not know it exists.

People watched Last of Us and thought it was great.
Everyone has watched Fallout and love it.

I think Halo could be better and it could definitely be in front of more people on a platform people actually watch.

As a side note though, I love Paramount+. The Star Trek stuff, Twin Peaks is on there, great library of movies. I get it because my dad pays for Sky in the UK and Paramount + is included if you have the movie package.
I'm in the UK and I have it primarily for Star Trek and Halo. It's also significantly cheaper than the other streaming services. My experience with it has been only positive.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
maybe this will have all the Halo lore nuts coming after me, but all the interesting stuff about the Halo universe doesn't involve Masterchief.

This is like the coldest take imaginable. Pretty much everybody who pays attention to Halo lore knows Chief is one of the least interesting characters in that universe.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I even had Paramount Plus at the time when it came out and I didn't watch it. It just didn't look good. I enjoyed the Fallout show despite not enjoying the games all that much in 20 years. My wife even loved the show and has never seen or played anything fallout related. I don't think she even knows there is a Halo tv show even though she used to play it in college.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
the bigger problems is all the lore and books of HALO are just fucking lame from a sci-fi POV. Halo is 99% about shooting.
Yup, Halo in general is just pretty generic sci fi stuff, space marines vs. aliens type stuff. Fallout has a much more interesting / appealing theme and aesthetic and more room to blend action, comedy and drama. I think Halo would have to have incredible action and visuals to stand a chance and even that only takes you so far before people start to notice the story and characters aren't all that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well shit I don't know haha. Just covering my bum just in case :P

Oh I wasn't trying to be snarky, ha. Just saying that yeah, you're definitely right on the money. He's not a particularly great character. The problem is that Chief is "iconic", and you know how hard it is for gamers to let go of "iconic" characters even if they have nothing left to offer narratively.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Halo had an atrocious first season, on a literal-who service (compared to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, or even HBO at least), and recent Halo games have failed to garner the popularity the series enjoyed in the Halo 1/2 era. Fallout games aren't perfect either, but they have quality in basically every entry. It's not surprising that the Fallout show has generated a lot more attention towards the game series.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I would say the difference between the two has far more to do with the much higher quality of the show and exposition of the platform is on than with whatever bethesda is doing (and mostly not doing) to promote it

And i would say it pretty quickly

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
Eh, it worked for Mando, and he actually wears his helmet nearly full-time, just saying...

That said, I always liked the idea of a show that has someone else as the MC instead, and you just see MC sporadically instead.

Master Cheeks forever in our hearts.

It's a great and expansive IP, one that doesn't necessarily have to be centered around MC. And even if, Manadalorian proved you really can make something compelling with a "strong silent type" with a helmet whose humanity is exposed mostly due to their companion/s.

Tbf I haven't watched Mandalorian, but isn't that much lower stakes? Master Chief, at least in the games, is doing crazy shit all the time which would be incredibly expensive to do in live action, so either way they'd have to change it up a ton so it fits the budget and the 8h run time per season, which is what they did already, of course the execution was poor and they could have done a lot better.

Personally I think an animated show would have worked better, shorter episodes, more focused on the action than the characters.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
What works well with Fallout and TLOU is that the show respects its source material. Halo on the other hand just shits all over it, kinda like how 343 has handled the franchise.
This has been my biggest takeaway. Halo felt like it was adapted by someone who never played the games (was probably barely aware they existed), was just handed a script, rewrote it to be "better", and then filmed it.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Correct, it's a bummer. But also S1 was not well received and try as they might Paramount+ is so far from being as ubiquitous as Netflix/Prime/even HBO that even if it was phenomenal I'm not sure it would have reached the same level of acclaim.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch the Halo show after reading how they deviated from the canon and they decided to show MC's face. Turned me off so bad.

The person in charge apparently decided they didn't want to go with the game's lore and did their own thing. I'm all for adaptations but you gotta remember to keep stuff for the fans.