• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's the best modern Fallout. So, there's that.

And its mods have been getting crazy:

View: https://youtu.be/dDFTyOfjr84?si=VaIZh4M9hsYsskU3

I absolutely LOVE the choice of music at the start of this video. Shin Megami Tensei V
Finished it today, overall I enjoyed it. More details:

The first episode almost put me off a bit because for a while it felt like it was pulling a "member berry" going "member skills? Member vaults? Member raiders? Member Stimpaks? Member the brotherhood of steel?" This got a lot less flagrant and I was fine with it at that point and it started to feel more natural. I also get that that stuff early on was mainly for people unfamiliar with the games.

This kind of bothered me, but how was there not a single woman in the Brotherhood of Steel in this show? I certainly don't remember seeing any, even as extras in the background or something. It's not like they're forbidden in any chapter of the Brotherhood, in fact there were women in it going all the way back to Fallout 1. Then again, maybe it was a thing the Elder forced on this chapter of the Brotherhood since he talked to Maximus about them making their own division.

I feel like they really could have used more variety in creatures. We saw a Gulper like three times if I remember correctly, and then there was the occasional Radroach, a brief cameo of a Brahmin, and of course a Yao Guai. There's also Ghouls if you count that, but those are fairly humanoid at the end of the day, but still interesting. It was weird that not a single Ghoul had the usual "Ghoul voice" we see in the games though. I know that not necessarily all of them had that, but it was definitely surprising to see none of them have it. I'd say like the top three most iconic "non-humanoid" creatures in Fallout are Deathclaws, Radroaches, and Radscorpions. We got one out of the three, and just a Deathclaw skull. Given that Radscorpions were all over the place in the West Coast games especially, I'm surprised we did not see any.

The triple-vault experiment was a good idea for a Vault experiment. I hope we actually do get an explanation of why they couldn't just let the people of 33 and 32 go visit back and forth in season 2. I did find it weird that 31 went with another "Cryo freeze all the pre-war people" experiment though. 111 in Fallout 4 had that, granted the difference was it crashed and burned in that game and the protagonist ended up the only survivor, and of course it didn't have the sister vaults.

While they were modifying people in Vault 4 with stuff from creatures for better hopes for survival, I have to wonder if any of the people with obvious mutations actually had the intended results. Like did the Overseer with one eye actually have any advantage? Did the guy with a nose on his forehead have any advantage? It felt weird. Granted, the way they ended up leaving Vault 4, I have a feeling we're probably just never going to see them again. The more likely answer to this is that like the games, Fallout is filled with absurd comedic stuff too. I mean the whole sequence of Vault 4 saying they were executing Lucy...by "forcing" her out of the Vault with supplies was pretty funny.

And now you have the bigger shit. Shady Sands nuked, I cannot say I saw that coming. I actually had to double check that Shady Sands didn't exist in some capacity prior to the NCR. I do want to know HOW Hank nuked it. Was it a Fallout 3 Megaton situation? Did he find some silo somewhere to be able to launch it (possibly a Vault Tec silo?)?

Speaking of Vault Tec, I know there's always been theories that Vault Tec started the war and it seems like at the very least they had some part in it. Granted in the pre-war era of the show, they didn't actually get to the nukes hitting and going into the vaults. We still don't know for sure if Vault Tec itself actually launches a nuke, but like c'mon, they probably did at this point. I hope they don't retcon it to be "All the bombs were Vault Tec" or something. I mean in Fallout 4 there's literally a Chinese Navy Officer that's ghoulified and tells you that he launched nukes from his submarine! Honestly I think the more likely outcome might be Vault Tec nuking China, which causes China to retaliate.

I think they overall got enough of the comedy aspect of Fallout, although I hope they lean a bit more into the absurd next season. I'm talking like Mysterious Stranger, but everyone kind of goes "Huh, who was that guy? Oh well"

The big drop at the end of course was the hype for New Vegas, which is looking a little banged up. However you can tell that the Lucky 38 looks perfectly intact. Some kind of battle clearly took place there involving the NCR, whether it was the NCR and Legion, or someone else entirely. It's possible the place was nuked, but if House is still alive (which I think he might be given how he was shown pre-war in the show), it could be a similar explanation to how the Lucky 38 remained unharmed during all the commotion as for New Vegas in the game. I'm also not entirely sure what Hank wanted with New Vegas or if the plan was "just take off in that direction and hope to find something good".

Overall, I enjoyed it more than I expected, and am looking forward to season 2. Some things like nuking Shady Sands, I don't know how to feel about, because it just seemed like they were just saying "fuck you" to a lot of the early games' lore.

I'm crossposting this about the show, unmarked now since it's open spoilers here. Overall I enjoyed the show and am looking forward to season 2.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
While I certainly prefer "vanilla" Fallout 3 to playing it with TTW, I must admit it crashes like a m*****f***** even with all the fix mods and such. In my experience TTW makes it much more stable, rather than crashing every 2-4 hours.

Ovaltine

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if saves will work after the next gen patch for FO4? Thinking about starting a new playthrough

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Do we know if saves will work after the next gen patch for FO4? Thinking about starting a new playthrough

BGS will certainly be trying to make sure that saves are cross-compatible, they won't be knowingly breaking stuff. It depends how deep the changes they are trying to make are as to how likely they are to accidentally break things though.

Basically, if your save didn't work, it's unlikely to be so drastically bad it ruins your playthough.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For New Vegas,

Follow this guide:

vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com

Viva New Vegas

A fully modular, comprehensive and regularly updated Fallout New Vegas modding guide that allows for any personal preference to be satisfied.

Then, for visual upgrades, Salamand3r's guide is the gold standard:

salamand3r.fail

New Vegas and TTW Graphics Guide — salamand3r

A sequential and safe guide to New Vegas visual enhancement.

For Fallout 3, the best way to play now is to install Tale of Two Wastelands (TTW) which essentially combines FO3 and New Vegas into one huge game using the New Vegas engine and gameplay mechanics. You can "just" play FO3 this way even if you don't want to hop to over to New Vegas in your playthrough.

To install base TTW follow this guide:

thebestoftimes.moddinglinked.com

The Best of Times

The official installation guide for Tale of Two Wastelands and all essential mods.

Then follow that with The Wasteland Survival Guide

wastelandsurvivalguide.com

Wasteland Survival Guide | Wasteland Survival Guide

A customizable modding guide for Tale of Two Wastelands.

Finally, for visual upgrades use Saland3r's guide above and include anything TTW specific that he calls out.
Just want to say thanks for sharing this. I didn't even know tale of two wastelands was a thing and I haven't played 3 since like 2009. Definitely gonna give this a try

Edit: quick question. I own 3 on steam but all the DLC I bought from games for windows live. Do I need to rebuy DLC on steam?

Tony72495

Apr 26, 2019
While I certainly prefer "vanilla" Fallout 3 to playing it with TTW, I must admit it crashes like a m*****f***** even with all the fix mods and such. In my experience TTW makes it much more stable, rather than crashing every 2-4 hours.

For my recent Fallout 3 playthrough, I just decided to play it on Series X so I could get 4K 60 and hopefully no stability issues. No mods, true, but in my 102 hours I think it crashed twice and I had no save bug issues either.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say thanks for sharing this. I didn't even know tale of two wastelands was a thing and I haven't played 3 since like 2009. Definitely gonna give this a try

Edit: quick question. I own 3 on steam but all the DLC I bought from games for windows live. Do I need to rebuy DLC on steam?

Probably best to rebuy them. The DLCs are required for TTW. You could maybe try the install and see if it works but the GOTY edition is just $4.99 right now so I would just buy that version to be safe.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Lightweight lighting is amazing (perfect with elfx for interiors). Combined with another pine forest, the game feels like TLOU somehow.

k7DeU2J.jpeg

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I have TTW installed now, but salamand3r visual guide is overwhelming

Yeah, I did several installs with it in the fall (using the old version of his guide) and it would typically take several hours just getting everything downloaded. The nice thing is that once you do it once, it's easy to save that as a profile in Mod Organizer and you can just copy it over to future installs.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I did several installs with it in the fall (using the old version of his guide) and it would typically take several hours just getting everything downloaded. The nice thing is that once you do it once, it's easy to save that as a profile in Mod Organizer and you can just copy it over to future installs.
Yeah, I wish a mod pack existed for this exact reason, lol. I have been replaying Stalker before jumping back on this series and drag dropping Anomaly mod packs were so easy.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I have TTW installed now, but salamand3r visual guide is overwhelming

Honestly I wouldn't consider it essential and I never went the extra mile of following it. Yeah it makes the game looks nicer but it's still a 2010 game on an ugly engine, there's only so much you can polish it. The basics covered in TBoT and WSG are more than enough for me

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
NV players, I'm following:

Viva New Vegas

Essential stability and performance mods, required for any modded setup.

New Vegas Heap Replacer

Installation instructions:

1. Main Files - NVHR (Manual download).
  2. From the downloaded archive, extract everything to the game's Root folder.
Replaces the game's heap management system with a much faster version, which can lead to large performance gains

When it says extract everything and it includes a Data folder, should I be replacing the data folder in the root or should I be adding the Data items to the existing Data folder?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It means 'open up the Zip file you just downloaded, and then drag and drop the contents of the Zip file (both the DLL and the Data folder itself) directly into Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas'.

The contents of that zip are a DLL file and a 'Data' folder. Drag and drop both of those directly into the Fallout New Vegas folder. That will prompt you to merge the two Data folders into one, which will automatically add the Data items from the ZIP into the Data folder inside of the Fallout New Vegas root folder (combining them, in other words).

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
NV players, I'm following:

Viva New Vegas

Essential stability and performance mods, required for any modded setup.

When it says extract everything and it includes a Data folder, should I be replacing the data folder in the root or should I be adding the Data items to the existing Data folder?
You should be merging the Data Folder stuff together. So there is only one Data Folder from Root.

EDIT- exactly as Doskoi Panda says above.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Lightweight lighting is amazing (perfect with elfx for interiors). Combined with another pine forest, the game feels like TLOU somehow.

k7DeU2J.jpeg
Highly recommend Spectrum ENB made by the author of Lightweight Lighting.

www.nexusmods.com

Spectrum - ENB for Lightweight Lighting

Built Specifically for Lightweight Lighting, this ENB adds the full 'Spectrum' of ENB features whilst maintaining the vanilla visual style.

Oct 27, 2017
When they revived the Ghoul at the end of episode 1, was that The Castle in Boston from Fallout 4? Is that where he was buried?

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Jon of Many A True Nerd (does a lot of themed Fallout playthroughs, eg. YOLO, No Kill runs, etc), did a post-show round up where he went over the timeline, analysis of the state of the world, and future potential implications for the show and any games. It was a really fun and informative refresher, along with some thoughtful musing on where the universe could go from here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADUheObXEPM

View: https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1780371991595516091

Notebook flipping, too! Really cool of Sawyer to share.

Plus vital New Vegas lore:

View: https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1780373387376021859

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
TY.

edit: Anyone use https://salamand3r.fail/new-vegas-visual-renewal with Viva New Vegas? Any issues to worry about?

Nah, you're fine. It's mainly textures, models, etc that can easily be toggled on and off to taste or for any other reason that won't harm your save.

The only thing to watch out for IMO is some of Ashen's Animated Meshes. They are really cool but a few of them absolutely killed my framerate. This was in the Fall so I'm not sure if they have been updated since but I'm talking a huge hit to my framerate and major stutters on a beefy rig.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, you're fine. It's mainly textures, models, etc that can easily be toggled on and off to taste or for any other reason that won't harm your save.

The only thing to watch out for IMO is some of Ashen's Animated Meshes. They are really cool but a few of them absolutely killed my framerate. This was in the Fall so I'm not sure if they have been updated since but I'm talking a huge hit to my framerate and major stutters on a beefy rig.

I've never played and VNV has some visual stuff so I might just go for that. Most I've done on a game before is like 5 mods. I'm up to 77 on MO2 :lol

edit: Nexus went down while downloading, can't finish :(

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played and VNV has some visual stuff so I might just go for that. Most I've done on a game before is like 5 mods. I'm up to 77 on MO2 :lol

edit: Nexus went down while downloading, can't finish :(

My New Vegas installation has 433 Mods, 177 of which are plugins.

My TTW installation is a bit more modest- 362 Mods, 159 of which are plugins.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
TTW? I've seen that acronym while dowenloading.

Tale of Two Wastelands. A New Vegas mod that merges FO3 and New Vegas together into one huge game. It's the preferred way to play Fallout 3 these days because the New Vegas modding community is way more active than the FO3 community. A lot of New Vegas mods work by default in a TTW installation but some mods have separate TTW versions as well which is what you are seeing.

erraticstatic

Jan 22, 2022
I genuinely enjoyed the show, was blown away by how much I dug it. Not to mention the last few episodes kept me fully engaged from beginning to end.
Now I'm just debating if I should run through New Vegas again or Fallout 4, especially since I never got to enjoy them with the DLC attached.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Finished all the mods, black screen. Ugh, so much time. It worked at one point, so I'm not sure what I screwed up, gdi.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe someone smarter than me can help.
In MO2 for NV, the last step in https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/finish.html is to "
  1. Disable/uninstall the Navmesh Overhaul YUP Patch under the Bug Fixes separator."
When I do this the game doesn't work and I get "VNVExtendedNavmeshPatch.esm is missing required files: -NavmeshOverhaul.esm.

When I leave it checked, the game tells me I'm using two and I should only use one. Any ideas?

Edit: fixed! Reinstalled and it worked.

Last edited:

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I'm tryna avoid being too much of a hater in this thread but MY GOD is mothership zeta a slog or what

The "aliens!! space!!" novelty wears off so fast, and it's got almost none of what makes the base game compelling. Just endless corridors of shooting. FO3 at its worst!

V funny playing this game with all the DLC, totally demolished the power curve 😎

Last edited:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tryna avoid being too much of a hater in this thread but MY GOD is mothership zeta a slog or what

The "aliens!! space!!" novelty wears off so fast, and it's got almost none of what makes the base game compelling. Just endless corridors of shooting. FO3 at its worst!

V funny playing this game with all the DLC, totally demolished the power curve 😎 wi

I feel like that for most of FO3's DLC. It all just overstays it's welcome for me.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8

V funny playing this game with all the DLC, totally demolished the power curve 😎 wi
I adore Fallout 3, and even I can't say anything good about MSZ. It's easily the worst part of Fallout 3.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Highly recommend Spectrum ENB made by the author of Lightweight Lighting.

www.nexusmods.com

Spectrum - ENB for Lightweight Lighting

Built Specifically for Lightweight Lighting, this ENB adds the full 'Spectrum' of ENB features whilst maintaining the vanilla visual style.
Oh right, I've tried it already but it's too colorful vanilla for my taste. I use my trusty dawn enb, a bit bleak but not over the top.

www.nexusmods.com

Dawn ENB - An ENB Preset for All Weather Mods

This preset aims to bring out the natural beauty of the Commonwealth without making your computer melt.Supporting presets for ALL Weather mods. Beautiful and Simple

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
I decided to replay New Vegas to go through the dlc for the first time. I followed the Viva New Vegas guide and so far I haven't had a single crash thankfully. The only issue I ran into was that interior fog would look messed up in a way where I couldn't see past a short distance in caves like the one in Vault 22. Had to disable interior fog in one of the INI files. Also, I can't see the lights from the Strip from the outside for some reason.