• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
I'm tryna avoid being too much of a hater in this thread but MY GOD is mothership zeta a slog or what

The "aliens!! space!!" novelty wears off so fast, and it's got almost none of what makes the base game compelling. Just endless corridors of shooting. FO3 at its worst!

V funny playing this game with all the DLC, totally demolished the power curve 😎

The characters are fun and interesting, and the voice tapes are great!

But yes, like Operation Anchorage, it's largely a linear shooter. The most interesting choices you get to make are whether to shoot the noncombatants.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I've reinstalled NV. Everytime I've tried to play in the past I've had issues (mods or not)

Hopefully this time I will be more successful, otherwise I might just start it on Xbox.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
installed all the mods... terrible experience. they really can't put all the Viva New Vegas stuff in a single installer?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
installed all the mods... terrible experience. they really can't put all the Viva New Vegas stuff in a single installer?
nope

not only you need permission from every mod author but every pc is its own setup and needs its own tinkering, theres no "one size fits all" experience that will work for everyone. its a bit of a pain, but its worth it in the end, just enjoy the good days ahead now

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I've had NV installed for a while now, but it's more or less vanilla, with just a couple of the big "fix" patches installed. Never got that far into it, either, but I've definitely got the itch since watching the show.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Going through my first New Vegas play through while watching the show has been an experience.

Thinking of giving 76 a try after.

inigo_montoya

Nov 20, 2023
I tried fallout 76 because I liked the tv show and I have never really played fallout.

This is not exactly what I expected and so far it's not really fun. I'm trudging through to see if that changes but this feels more like a survival game that I'd buy early access for on steam than a post apocalyptic rpg.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to replay New Vegas to go through the dlc for the first time. I followed the Viva New Vegas guide and so far I haven't had a single crash thankfully. The only issue I ran into was that interior fog would look messed up in a way where I couldn't see past a short distance in caves like the one in Vault 22. Had to disable interior fog in one of the INI files. Also, I can't see the lights from the Strip from the outside for some reason.

Do you have HDR enabled in the Fallout Configuration Launcher? If that doesn't fix it then usually that's an issue with something conflicting with your weather mod. It's generally recommended to have your weather mod (Desert Natural Weathers I assume) near the bottom of your load order.

github.com

Release Unofficial Viva New Vegas Wabbajack · zpok3/Viva-New-Vegas-Unofficial-Wabbajack

Unofficial Wabbajack for the Viva New Vegas modlist (please don't bother them with support requests for this Wabbajack) - Release Unofficial Viva New Vegas Wabbajack · zpok3/Viva-New-Vegas-Unofficial-Wabbajack

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Is there any substance to this FO3 remake rumor?

I'm planning to give FO4 another shot when the current-gen port hits in a week or so, but I'd love to see FO3 on modern consoles with some big QoL improvements.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
slightly off topic but going through the guides makes me all the more appreciate the work Grok does on stalker gamma lol

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any substance to this FO3 remake rumor?

I'm planning to give FO4 another shot when the current-gen port hits in a week or so, but I'd love to see FO3 on modern consoles with some big QoL improvements.
If it's real schedule wise it's happening after Oblivion which isn't even announced and seems to be a little more substantiated as actually existing in dev. So it could be a while yet.

Is the DLC in Fallout 3 worth going back to if I have to start from scratch?
Broken Steel, Pitt and Point Lookout are all great. Bethesda usually delivers on DLC and it's usually my favorite part of their games. I remember Anchorage and Zeta being an exception to this rule and being a bit of a slog.

Last edited:

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the 360 version of NV on XSX for six or seven hours now and it's surprisingly fine? Haven't run into any issues and the visuals/performance are better that I was expecting.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the 360 version of NV on XSX for six or seven hours now and it's surprisingly fine? Haven't run into any issues and the visuals/performance are better that I was expecting.

New Vegas is in a much better place now than it was when it launched. But that doesn't stop folks from still pretending it only came out six months ago and needs an ocean of mods to even function.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017

The Pitt, Point Lookout, and Broken Steel are all really fun in their own ways.

The Pitt is far and away some of the best writing in Fallout 3. It's a really cool area to explore and features my favourite atmospheric storytelling trick in all of gaming.

In the Supply Plant, you can read up on how the Plant's management replaced the workers with Protectrons. It all gets very murdery, and after a long story, the last page describes a worker, stood in the closet your the player is currently stood in, hearing the sounds of screams and protectrons outside. Upon exiting the terminal, a scipt is run which spawns a protectron outside the closet, just walking down, maybe spouting a voiceline. It's chilling.

Point Lookout is the closest DLC to the core Fallout 3 experience, exploring an open world, maybe doing a few quests, as well as exploring some freeform oddities. Point Lookout was infamously put together by mostly Interns at Bethesda during development, so it is hilariously imbalanced and very challenging. However, it also features some of the most interesting small game mechanics and cinematic effects I've ever seen in the engine, Fallout 4 included. It is largely a DLC where the developers had a lot of fun with the engine, possibly from a game jam or something, and I find it really interesting because of that.

Broken Steel naturally is the big Brotherhood finale of the game. The majority of the content is linear, although they are excellent setpieces and fun combat missions, but additionally, Broken Steel allows you to see the world after the "end of the game" which changes in some minor but interesting ways.

Personally I like Zeta and Anchorage, but that's because theres basically no Fallout thing I don't enjoy playing with the exception of the New Vegas Honest Hearts DLC.

john385

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmmm… tempeted to replay Fallout 3 and play Fallout NV for the first time (on PC).
So I should just go with the Begin Again A Tale of Two Wastelands from the op?
Is that it? Or are there any other tips and tricks?
I need a consistent, vannila-like / QoL-improved experience on a modern system (1440p, 4070 Ti, etc.)

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
dont really think so. pitt and point lookout are acceptable, but not great imo. the rest is *really* bad. like, worst fallout content bad. i hate mothership zeta with the fury of a thousand suns and anchorage is just slightly behind. theyre dumb to their very core, all combat focused dlcs on a game where combat is the worst part, its baffling that they did it not only once but twice.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Hmmmm… tempeted to replay Fallout 3 and play Fallout NV for the first time (on PC).
So I should just go with the Begin Again A Tale of Two Wastelands from the op?
Is that it? Or are there any other tips and tricks?
I need a consistent, vannila-like / QoL-improved experience on a modern system (1440p, 4070 Ti, etc.)

You're not going to get the Vanilla FO3 experience from playing TTW. The mod makes some changes to FO3 to work with the New Vegas systems. It is a unique game with its own balance, mechanics, and more that separate it from both FO3 and FNV.

If you're interesting in just the actual content in the game, i.e. the quests, the world, etc, it is a great way to experience Fallout 3. IF you care about experiencing the game mechanics of FO3 as they were in 2008, vanilla is the way to go.

I last played FO3, mostly vanilla with some QoL mods in 2020. Like I said earlier in the thread, it can be quite crash happy, you have to be sure to quick save regularly. But it isn't a downright terrible experience.

john385

Oct 26, 2017
You're not going to get the Vanilla FO3 experience from playing TTW. The mod makes some changes to FO3 to work with the New Vegas systems. It is a unique game with its own balance, mechanics, and more that separate it from both FO3 and FNV.

If you're interesting in just the actual content in the game, i.e. the quests, the world, etc, it is a great way to experience Fallout 3. IF you care about experiencing the game mechanics of FO3 as they were in 2008, vanilla is the way to go.

I last played FO3, mostly vanilla with some QoL mods in 2020. Like I said earlier in the thread, it can be quite crash happy, you have to be sure to quick save regularly. But it isn't a downright terrible experience.
Thanks!

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017

the own mechanics of fallout are, quite frankly, not really worth "experiencing as they were"
lack of ironsights isnt a mechanic, its just dumb for a game with shooting. adding big guns back and the hundreds of just +% to skill perks instead of the actually interesting ones from NV isnt a good thing. the way speech checks work in 3 are only good for terminal savescummers who dont want to commit to a rpg. the different way repairing works is give or take which one people prefer but jury rigging makes NV superior and the repair skill actually useful imo. the biggest change TTW brings over is still optional (survival mode), all the other mechanics brought back from new vegas are imo straight up benefits and fit the "vanilla like but with QoL" that user asked for. the biggest drawback against TTW i would say is just that its quite a lot of extra work to install and set up, but with the guide explaining step by step its just a matter of extra time really

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Started my replay of Fo4 this week, is fun! Probably not going to go crazy on settlements this time....but who the fuck knows I probably will. haha. It is weirdly satisfying, and it does feel good to give these folks a nice place to live.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Still updating the OP with more information on modding and whatnot but Todd Howard just confirmed that Shady Sands was nuked after the events of New Vegas.
"We're careful about the timeline," he says. "There might be a little bit of confusion in some places. But everything that happened in the previous games, including New Vegas, happened. We're very careful about that."

"All I can say is we're threading it tighter there, but the bombs fall just after the events of New Vegas."

View: https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1780612463634808997?t=fM7T5yuzKAkavxuUK1dbYA&s=19

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
the own mechanics of fallout are, quite frankly, not really worth "experiencing as they were"
lack of ironsights isnt a mechanic, its just dumb for a game with shooting. adding big guns back and the hundreds of just +% to skill perks instead of the actually interesting ones from NV isnt a good thing. the way speech checks work in 3 are only good for terminal savescummers who dont want to commit to a rpg. the different way repairing works is give or take which one people prefer but jury rigging makes NV superior and the repair skill actually useful imo. the biggest change TTW brings over is still optional (survival mode), all the other mechanics brought back from new vegas are imo straight up benefits and fit the "vanilla like but with QoL" that user asked for. the biggest drawback against TTW i would say is just that its quite a lot of extra work to install and set up, but with the guide explaining step by step its just a matter of extra time really

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
The same statement could've come from the showrunners, yes. If they don't want to make a definitive statement on how another game ended they can use something like this to make said ending irrelevant.
Which would be a bit of a bummer, but hey, that's how the real world works too. My biggest gripe is with Shady being moved to LA. I like the idea of the NCR's capital growing from a no-name town into a major city. It also makes the events of Fallout 1 messy. Like are they going to move the Boneyard/Cathedral to a different city like Sacramento or keep it in LA?

bb1173

May 1, 2022
Still updating the OP with more information on modding and whatnot but Todd Howard just confirmed that Shady Sands was nuked after the events of New Vegas.

View: https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1780612463634808997?t=fM7T5yuzKAkavxuUK1dbYA&s=19

so shady sands falls and being destroyed is 2 different events.

Wonder if it will be because the NCR was pushing so hard east for the Dam, they stretched themselves so thin that someone could capture Shady Sands (or there is a revolution that overthrown the ncr running the town)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
so shady sands falls and being destroyed is 2 different events.

Wonder if it will be because the NCR was pushing so hard east for the Dam, they stretched themselves so thin that someone could capture Shady Sands (or there is a revolution that overthrown the ncr running the town)

Well even in New Vegas, the game makes the case that once Tandi died, the NCR was already struggling to hold itself together, so yeah, I have to imagine that the overextension into the Mojave hastened their descent.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Which reinforces, in my mind at least, that the NCR didn't just disappear overnight after Shady Sands got nuked. Sure, government leadership would've been crippled, but state governors and the military would've had the means to secure their territory. Subsequent infighting probably would've led to the NCR fracturing into different factions, but Vault 4 and Moldaver demonstrate that there is a desire to see things restored. A Newer California Republic if will or NCR 2: Electric Boogaloo if you won't. Show that things like democracy and personal liberty can still preserve in the face of Nuclear Ls.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
So, let me ask a quesiton:

What's the status of the rest of the world since The Great War? Were the bombs dropped in every country in the world? Aren't there any nation states that survived relatively unscathed? If not, why not?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, let me ask a quesiton:

What's the status of the rest of the world since The Great War? Were the bombs dropped in every country in the world? Aren't there any nation states that survived relatively unscathed? If not, why not?

Almost every major nation was hit. We know bare minimum that the US, China and Russia were hit very badly, with nearly every major city receiving a direct hit or (in Boston's case) a hit outside of the city limits that devastated the metropolitan area anyway. There has not been a ton of coverage of what happened to continental Europe or the UK, but it stands to reason that any world superpower was crippled during the War.

I'm sure there could have been some smaller nations who weren't wiped off the face of the earth, but large-scale environmental changes and worldwide fallout propagation likely irradiated them even if they weren't directly hit by bombs.

Jan 4, 2018
NCR still lives on.

I'm curious how you guys see the NCR as it stands now. Is it demolished or is it kind of more like the Minutemen where it's just fractured?

Howard
: One of the takes that we always have is to approach things very locally when we're doing Fallout. We're careful about saying what's going on in other parts of the world. And we always take this view of, communication is difficult. And look, if you look at the background, the NCR is a wide-ranging sort of organization and group across not just California, but other places. So the show focuses on this period of time and this group here, and that's what we can say right now. But I don't think you've heard the last of the NCR.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Almost every major nation was hit. We know bare minimum that the US, China and Russia were hit very badly, with nearly every major city receiving a direct hit or (in Boston's case) a hit outside of the city limits that devastated the metropolitan area anyway. There has not been a ton of coverage of what happened to continental Europe or the UK, but it stands to reason that any world superpower was crippled during the War.

I'm sure there could have been some smaller nations who weren't wiped off the face of the earth, but large-scale environmental changes and worldwide fallout propagation likely irradiated them even if they weren't directly hit by bombs.

Hm, thanks! I wish they looked more to the rest of the world. Granted, this is a "problem" with many post-apocalyptic scenarios that just focus on one place and you just sort of have to assume everywhere is the same. But when we think of a nuclear war, we think of the US, Europe, Russia and China being the primary aggressors and where most of the bombs fell. This leaves A LOT of the world outside the range of nuclear fire.

Dealing with the... fallout of nuclear war is very different than dealing with the bombs themselves.

bb1173

May 1, 2022

I don't know if europe/uk would have recovered enough in the 2 decades since the war against the Middle East to be considered a big threat to china/USA?

I believe that the only reference we have for that war is that it was 'localised nuclear' so it seems like the middle east and Europe would already be ruins by the time of the Great war

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, thanks! I wish they looked more to the rest of the world. Granted, this is a "problem" with many post-apocalyptic scenarios that just focus on one place and you just sort of have to assume everywhere is the same. But when we think of a nuclear war, we think of the US, Europe, Russia and China being the primary aggressors and where most of the bombs fell. This leaves A LOT of the world outside the range of nuclear fire.

Dealing with the... fallout of nuclear war is very different than dealing with the bombs themselves.

Right. One thing to keep in mind is that a daisy chain of nuclear blasts hitting dozens of cities across the US, China and Russia would likely have devastating effects for the environment even in the neighboring countries to the ones directly hit. Even if Canada wasn't directly nuked, for example, all it takes is enough radiation in the atmosphere from nukes hitting New York, Greater Boston, Chicago and (idk) Detroit to render much of the developed portion of Canada unlivable for decades.

And then if you magnify that across the entire planet, you'd likely see hemisphere-spanning radiation dispersal and destruction of natural resources. Combine that with the breakdown in society caused by that kind of cataclysmic event and who knows what's going on even in the areas that were "insulated" from the nukes by being low-value targets or far enough out of the way to be separated from the blasts directly.

Africa, South America, Australia, New Zealand, etc. A lot of the countries/continents in the Southern Hemisphere could be comparatively 'better off' compared to the US/China/Russia but still suffered massively in the wake of the Great War due to the destruction of shipping lines/the irradiation of the oceans/etc.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
OdKmYX.gif

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Raul confirms that Mexico City got nuked in Fallout: New Vegas. As Canada had been annexed by the US in 2072, it stands to reason that they got nuked too. The map of vaults in Episode 8 shows at least one vault in Mexico and one in Canada. The Fallout Bible states that the Middle East and European Commonwealth started to nuke each other after Tel Aviv was destroyed in a nuclear terrorist attack in 2035. Not sure if BGS will ever make that canon though.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018

I'm really only familiar with Fallout via 3, some of 4, and 76 and even then I probably haven't absorbed much of the lore.

Is Vault-Tec specifically an American company or is there a branch or version of it in something like the UK? I'd love to see something like the British equivalent of the Pip-Boy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really only familiar with Fallout via 3, some of 4, and 76 and even then I probably haven't absorbed much of the lore.

Is Vault-Tec specifically an American company or is there a branch or version of it in something like the UK? I'd love to see something like the British equivalent of the Pip-Boy.

The Euro-Middle Eastern War ended (badly, for both sides) about two decades before the Great War blew up the US, so it's hard to say in particular. Fallout really isn't concerned with Europe.

Vault-Tec, at least in my understanding, was an American conglomerate. RobCo (the folks who actually made the Pip Boy) may have been more global but Vault-Tec was really focused on the US.

Katsyo

Oct 27, 2017

I also kinda hope we would get something set somewhere outside the USA. I could go for a Pip-Bloke.

Jun 4, 2021

The people making fallout London said this about their version they're making

How many series staples will be present in Fallout: London?

That's a complex question. FEV has not reached London in any way, shape, or form. That means no Super Mutants, no Centaurs, no Deathclaws, and likely a lower number of Psykers than ever before. Vault-Tec is entirely an American company, thus it will have no presence in London. We will have a version of a vault, but it will be entirely different from that of Vault-Tec, except that it is a shelter, beneath the ground. So don't expect Better Living, Underground.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
American Company.
This is why the team behind the upcoming Fallout London mod had to make everything from scratch not only because there's no Vault Tec in Europe/UK but also because there's no established lore for London.