Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of the Flintstones, but I'm happy just thinking that MacFarlane's project didn't move on. I don't want to know what kind of shit he would have developed.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Just read the first page and surprised so many are acting as if American Dad was immune to the same type of "jokes"

Off the top of my head there's an episode when Roger keeps mugging Hayley's boyfriend, Jeff, and at one point Roger begins to pull down Jeff's pants and then sighs "ugh I don't have time for this"

Or when Stan is at a restaurant with his co-workers and there's this young boy dancing and moving towards some Stan and is stopped by his father, saying "We've talked about this...this is why you keep getting molested"

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Also thinking about (and pardon if this feels off topic), a reminder that Loretta ended up written off and subsequently killed because Alex Borstein had difficulties voicing her. Like no one at the crew thought about hiring a black voice actress as a replacement? Cleveland did end up getting a black voice actor years later, but still.

Edit: For that matter, Alex also voiced the Asian reporter, Tricia. Not really sure if she has since gained a new VA.

Last edited:

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I feel ashamed for watching this show in my teenage years

Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
The show nowadays has veered away from shock humor and is now pretty absurdist, for better or worse. I sometimes have it play on Hulu while cleaning up the living room. At the very least, I prefer it to modern Simpsons, which just tends to bore me to tears (but that may just be because I have a stronger fondness for golden-age Simpsons than the pretty-good early seasons of FG).

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Fun fact, that simpsons one doesnt air in the UK, the "banner" bit is completely removed so that scene is just Lois admonishing Peter and it actually comes across as quite serious, I was genuinely shocked when I saw the original for the first time.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I was watching some FG recently & Quagmire sells roofies to Meg, then says "rape it forward"
The newer seasons are really shit, Quagmire is especially a character that got downgraded, from American Austin Powers to just a plain rapist.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Annddd it has that infamous moment where Quagmire rapes Marge Simpson and murders her and her whole family including her baby.

Fuck.

Yeardly Smith was the only that had the sense to not do this bit?
Or their fake Lisa was really that far off that the others sounded legit.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Remember when Quagmire was a sex-crazed but still consensual swinger, instead of a pedophile rapist?
Pretty much, yeah. I enjoyed him before they made him a terrible terrible character. Other than the great zinger about Renee Zellweger the one part where he's caught peeping in the ladies' room in the most ninja of ways kind of pissed me off because it brought his deviancy a little too far. It was all downhill from there. It shouldn't surprise me that this was the third episode of the show returning, where everything felt off anyway.

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
Dunno how to feel about the resurgence this show has gotten on Twitter, even if said resurgence is mostly based in irony and memes.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
none of those are Simpsons voice actors, I thought it sounded super obvious cause they all sound terrible.
I mean the Lisa one was soooooooooooooo sooooooooooo bad it made the others seem legit in comparison.
Like hearing the sound of a door closing for a voice line, you recognize that the rest of the cast is voiced by actual humans.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Family Guy died in the 2000s IMO.

I used to be big on this show but now I can't stand it.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
True. I can't recall any rape jokes from American Dad so that's something at least. Also I can actually recall funny moments from it.

I'm sorry, but as a fan of AD this is simply rose tinted glasses.

www.youtube.com

American dad roger mugs Jeff

Jeff works for Roger then gets beat up. Very Funny.

This was the first one to come to mind, if you want I can think of some more.

Point is, it's weird to be in one camp but not the other.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
It's weird how my parents were OK with me watching Family Guy but never were on board with me looking at South Park or even the Simpsons at one point in time.

I never truly managed to watch SP until years after the fact and when I did, I just never saw the appeal in it all. Crass for the sake of it.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Seth Mcfarlane's Family guy is hot trash. I have no idea why this show is still going on. It's Sexist, Racist, Xenophobic. They get away with making Sexist jokes and racist jokes all the time. They date Black people to the '70s. There's no creativity with them. Like it's just a sad way of comedy that is just hot trash. It really shows who is writing and creating this show and their inner thoughts on the world and how they think they can get away with this.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
How I Met Your Mother is even more recent and boy has Barney Stinson's schtick aged like milk. Dude is a straight up sex predator.
All the characters on that show are pretty awful people (except maaaaybe Marshal), but Ted is the worst. Ted, in some ways, is as bad as Barney, he just doesn't realize it. Barney is at least honest with himself that he's a dirtbag, for how little that means.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love all the seasons, but i think starting from series 3 or 4 is a good place.
Damn. For me I absolutely adore Bob's season 1 and think it downgrades every season following that. It's not a bad show now by any means but at its worst it is toothless and obnoxious in its current state(for me anyways). Nothing makes me laugh more than season 1 though, it's just so raw and unfiltered.

Last edited:

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
This reminds me, I was rewatching Reno 911 recently and whoo, they have at least 1 rape joke in every single episode The comedy mostly holds up but can be a bit jarring at times lol.

PinaColada

Oct 27, 2017
This and everything else people are talking about is edgy, absurdist comedy. Stop putting real world feelings into it. It's not that hard. And yes I get a lot may not like it and that's ok. The humor can be too weird or off putting.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the FG rape stuff vs. AD rape stuff are on two different levels. The FG examples are often waaaay too illustrative of the actual crime, where as it's usually only mentioned in AD and is mostly a contextual jab where the character in question is the joke rather than rape itself being the butt of the joke like it often is in FG. I'm not saying it's okay at all in American Dad, but it's harder to let it mar the entire rest of the series because it's way less in-your-face the way it is in Family Guy.

Another interesting example of rape as a joke in animated comedies is that Jellybean King rape scene in Rick and Morty. It's actually one of the more disturbing ones out there because of how serious the scene is but it seems to get a pass because it's mostly a joke about the King rather than rape, I think.