CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting double fucked over with my fav 'cause Ultra Necrozma functions like a Mega while requiring a Z-crystal to become it and use it's Z-move based signature attack.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between this and the national dex fiasco there's a hollow satisfaction in knowing that Game Freak's shortsightedness is finally coming back to bite them in the ass. I was never a huge fan of Megas and even less so of Z-Moves so their exclusion doesn't bother me that much personally but it's become a really dumb practice of theirs over the years to throw in stuff just to remove it again. There was a subset of the fanbase that kept defending it and now it's finally affected the one thing the hardcore holds dear - the Pokémon roster.
I kinda see jwhat they're doing similar to fighting games. Sometimes old mechanics and characters don't make the cut in the next version.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Evolution was a neat concept (with a silly name) and actually made some pokémon (like Beedrill and Pidgeot) actually viable while also giving us some interesting designs.

However the whole "need to collect all the stones in every game" was a reciper for disaster since day one and I always pointed that out during XY days in the old place how it was going to be unsustainable in the long run.

Z moves were a similar concept, just less cool and even more gimmicky, with Dynamax it seems like they aren't even trying anymore.
With every game becoming its own "bubble" we are probably destined to drown in new unnecessary regional mechanics that will promptly discarded on the successive title.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I kinda see jwhat they're doing similar to fighting games. Sometimes old mechanics and characters don't make the cut in the next version.

Fighting games don't spend 20 years building a franchise on the back of transferring your data over to the newest one to have all the features you had before and more.

Stop making excuses for them

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They should rework Megas into proper evolutions (so the designs wont go to waste) and keep Dynamax going forward imo

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of the Megas were cool this sucks

Goodbye heavenly king

ampharos-mega.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But you see, people here hate megas so much! So it's apparently good that you get fucked over your favorite character
You're the biggest Yugioh fan in this site, so this kind of answers must piss you off even more. I always get annoyed by people saying the dumb "remove the other summon types!" thing, even though they're simple, just because other special summons were added after their nostalgia era.

I don't want to see this kind of discourse to Pokémon as well at all.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Can't they just turn megas into alternative evolutions? No need to waste them

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're the biggest Yugioh fan in this site, so this kind of answers must piss you off even more. I always get annoyed by people saying the dumb "remove the other summon types!" thing, even though they're simple, just because other special summons were added after their nostalgia era.

Doesn't yugioh effectively do that anyway?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

I've gone on record comparing this news to the announcement of Link Summoning Rules.

That didn't go over well for Konami and neither will this.

Doesn't yugioh effectively do that anyway?

It tried.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Why couldnt they just rework megas to play like Dynamax? They had really cool designs and is much more unique than "Pokemon turns big"...

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I can't be upset at the loss of z-moves because those were of too limited a use to affect the game. Megas were an interesting idea that came with a lot of caveats and didn't do enough to affect game balance. Wish the designs could return in one way or another, though, maybe with a stat rebalance for the more powerful ones and replacing the transformation mechanic with a more permanent sort of forme change like how Giratina works.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
What? Mega evolutions were awesome.
Dynamax looks fucking stupid and pointless, ugh.
Seriously GF can fuck off sometimes, their decision making is total crap

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
It's a shame tbh. Every generation GameFreak adds an interesting concept (not just in battling, but things like training as well). But instead of expanding and refining it they remove it for the next big idea.

I also expect Ultra Beasts to be forgotten. Even though the lore ramifications were very intriguing.

I am not exactly sure why GameFreak have this attitude. Do they not have faith in their own ideas? Do they believe that the fan base won't buy in without a new gimmick instead of perfecting the ones they already have?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I mean, they have banlists to balance the game, but they don't remove whole type of cards. They did get a lot of backlash for doing a similar thing just a few years ago, when they tried to screw over all the new special summon types.

And today, 2 years later, they're still in apology mode releasing more and more support to those mechanics that makes the restrictions almost non-existent.

This backlash is several times bigger than that was.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Great to hear! Never liked those gimmicks tbh.
Good, keep it cute and simple~
Megas were the worst thing to happen to Pokémon. Thank god.
Good riddance, I for one welcome our new dynamax overlord.
that makes me very happy. I never liked those features.
source.gif

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they have banlists to balance the game, but they don't remove whole type of cards. They did get a lot of backlash for doing a similar thing just a few years ago, when they tried to screw over all the new special summon types.
Ban lists literally removes cards tho. When yugioh moves onto a new gen they go all in on the mechanics of the new gen forgetting about the old shit because they want you to buy packs.

Oct 26, 2017
All right. This is the last straw. Megas made team building extremely fun, and breathed new life into certain Pokemon that were considered to be on the lower rungs of the ladder. Dynamax is not the same. It's trying to give you the best of both worlds of both Megas and Z-Moves, but I feel that it does not succeed in that regard, not by a longshot.

The recent Pokedex news combined with this new news about no Megas has *reeeaalllyyy* bummed me out, to the point where I probably will not be getting Sword and Shield now.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Ban lists literally removes cards tho. When yugioh moves onto a new gen they go all in on the mechanics of the new gen forgetting about the old shit because they want you to buy packs.
Mmmm...Not exactly. Arc-V was all in with the previous summoning types even though they just introduced Pendulums. And banlists are just bans for specific cards and unless the card is something absurdly broken like, let's say, Pot of Greed, it's just a temporary ban. They sometimes errata cards too. It's true that the new mechanics introduced were sometimes just better than previous ones but in the end it has been shown time and time again that if Konami wants to make something viable they will just do it (see Ritual with Necroz). The only time they actually started forcing a new mechanic down players' throats was with Links and the backlash was monumental.

I laughed hard at this. Good job!
Thanks!

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This sucks Dynamaxed Palkia.

As cool as Dynamaxing looks right now, the more I think about it, the less positive influence I see it having on competitive play. Do we know if we can Dynamax in double battles?

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
they really needed to delay this game if they're cutting this much just to be able to release it this year.

while i'm still getting the games, this does save me money from the Pokemon Bank and Home and Nintendo Online subs since i don't plan to get either of them going forward. i'll just play the game for the main story and new pokes and will be done after i beat it.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I never really used Mega Evolutions but I liked the idea that they made certain less used Pokemon more able to compete in the competitive scene. Competitive SwSh is going to be super weird just with this and the lack of non-Galar dex mons.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
With all the news from the last few days, I don't think we can assume that any of the features we've long assumed to be a given, are a lock anymore. No National Dex (I know SM/USUM didn't have a National Dex but they allowed you to transfer the pokemon not in the Alola dex into your game through Bank and the QR search feature), no megas or Z-moves. For example, I don't think we can assume EVs/IVs will make a return in their traditional form until we see confirmation of this. And honestly replacing EVs/IVs is something I can get behind, as long as the replacement offers some complexity. A better system that doesn't treat Pokemon as just numbers and is not super complex and time consuming to implement would actually be a welcome change from having to painfully IV breed and then EV train your pokemon (although the latter was basically solved with the Pokepelago EV training thing in Gen 7)

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mmmm...Not exactly. Arc-V was all in with the previous summoning types even though they just introduced Pendulums. And banlists are just bans for specific cards and unless the card is something absurdly broken like, let's say, Pot of Greed, it's just a temporary ban. They sometimes errata cards too. It's true that the new mechanics introduced were sometimes just better than previous ones but in the end it has been shown time and time again that if Konami wants to make something viable they will just do it (see Ritual with Necroz). The only time they actually started forcing a new mechanic down players' throats was with Links and the backlash was monumental.

Thanks!
I played yugioh competitively for years. Konami makes dozens of archetypes with their own unique strategies and play styles only to ditch them later when a new archetype they wanna promote shows up. Same thing with the summons. Once xyz monsters showed up Konami stopped really giving synchro monsters support and Xyz became the dominant strategy of the meta. Yes you can still synchro summon and no they weren't removed from the game but it was no longer the dominant strategy of the meta at that point and didn't see support from Konami in the form of new cards.

Oct 26, 2017
also how is Dynamax not the same?

This example probably won't be applicable in the game, but I'll use Lopunny as an example.

Mega Lopunny gets an additional Fighting typing to become Normal/Fighting, which complemented it's Hi-Jump Kick move that it got, and Mega Lopunny also gains the Scrappy ability so that it can hit Ghost types with Normal and Fighting moves.

As far as I can tell, Dynamaxed Lopunny would just be regular Lopunny with the same abilities and the same normal typing. No STAB fighting move, and no ability to hit Ghosts.

Megas were more than just a pretty new look and more stats. Some of them were practically new Pokemon in and of themselves. I might be wrong about Dynamaxing, but the mechanic does not inspire me creatively like Megas did.

Last edited:

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I played yugioh competitively for years. Konami makes dozens of archetypes with their own unique strategies and play styles only to ditch them later when a new archetype they wanna promote shows up. Same thing with the summons. Once xyz monsters showed up Konami stopped really giving synchro monsters support and Xyz became the dominant strategy of the meta. Yes you can still synchro summon and no they weren't removed from the game but it was no longer the dominant strategy of the meta at that point and didn't see support from Konami in the form of new cards.
Sure, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that's more a symptom of Yu-Gi-Oh! having its powercreep up the wazoo than new mechanics being pushed the hell and back, and to prove that you can just look at how early Arc-V had top tier decks from all the different summoning methods. Konami makes new mechanis to shake up the game and sell more packs and it is in a continuous state of powercreep, so new mechanics are usually just straight up better. But really, it doesn't matter if XYZ or Pendulum were introduced, I could just go to my local store with a Blackwing deck and have fun with it, even if I get progressively overcrept over time. But one day I go back and they tell me about this new Link summoning method that forces me to use new cards to do the same shit I used to do with my deck without them. I'd have to buy them. That's a big difference.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

You're talking bullshit.
A freaking Ritual Deck dominated the game a couple of years ago at the height of the Pendulum era.

And as you said, they never dared tried to remove a mechanic from the game just like we thought Gamefreak would never dare remove Pokemon or mechanics.
They tried in 2017, want me to tell you how that ended?

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're talking bullshit.
A freaking Ritual Deck dominated the game a couple of years ago at the height of the Pendulum era.

And as you said, they never dared tried to remove a mechanic from the game just like we thought Gamefreak would never dare remove Pokemon or mechanics.
They tried in 2017, want me to tell you how that ended?
Don't like your energy.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I certainly liked the Synchro pack that came a few weeks ago.

latest

That should tell you how it ended.

Gamefreak is going to go through the same here.
My point still stands especially in regards to individual archetypes. I remember when Six Samurai was dead for a while then Konami supported it with new cards during 5Ds and gave them a synchro summon. Then it became the dominant deck type of that format only to be dead again now...

I don't play the game anymore now but it seems they are in full apologia mode?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
My point still stands especially in regards to individual archetypes. I remember when Six Samurai was dead for a while then Konami supported it with new cards during 5Ds and gave them a synchro summon. Then it became the dominant deck type of that format only to be dead again now...

I don't play the game anymore now but it seems they are in full apologia mode?

Wrong again. Please, stop trying. Archetypes such as Six Samurai did not only get Xyz Support, but also Fusion and Link Support at different points of their life and remain a viable deck. Also Metas change with the introduction of new stuff, shocking I know.

Generation 5 was a huge celebration of past mechanics in the game and people loved it. Not a single mechanic was excluded despite that generation introducing Pendulum cards.

The apology "mode" they are on right now is exactly because they tried to pull the exact same shit you're celebrating here.

Your point was that YGO always does what Gamefreak is doing right now (Erase content from existence) when that never happened in the timeframe you describe. The one time they did try to pull that with the introduction of Master Rule 4 which tried to phase out Fusion, Synchro and Xyz, the backlash was so immense we're still in apology mode two years later. Same kind of Backlash Gamefreak is feeling right now.

The existence of a Banlist for balance has never meant that banned cards stop being printed or usable in non competitive matches also.

Farrac Can confirm everything I just said

Last edited:

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
This....is starting to feel like the Sonic franchise.
Edit: I thought I was posting in the wrong thread because of the Yugioh cards lol

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what's worse, GameFreak's endless display of incompetence or how part of the fanbase is willing to bend over backwards to defend their bullshit. Watch GameFreak try to spin this as a marketing tool to sell the third version. "Pokémon Gun, now with mega evolutions and Z-Moves!"

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wrong again. Please, stop trying. Archetypes such as Six Samurai did not only get Xyz Support, but also Fusion and Link Support at different points of their life and remain a viable deck. Also Metas change with the introduction of new stuff, shocking I know.

The apology "mode" they are on right now is exactly because they tried to pull the exact same shit you're celebrating here.

Your point always that YGO always does what Gamefreak is doing right now (Erase content from existence) when that never happened in the timeframe you describe. The one time they did try to pull that with the introduction of Master Rule 4 which tried to phase out Fusion, Synchro and Xyz, the backlash was so immense we're still in apology mode two years later. Sam kind of Backlash Gamefreak is feeling right now.

The existence of a Banlist for balance has never meant that banned cards stop being printed or usable in non competitive matches also.

Farrac Can confirm everything I just said
You're bugging if you're actually trying to tell me that as formats pass as new pack get made that summons and archetypes don't fall out of flavor and stop receiving new support. You keep confusing exceptions as the rule. there's no point in me talking to you. You've been pretty hostile through this whole thread and we're now dragging this thread off topic with talk about tho. I maintain my point.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm gonna laugh when it comes out that literally the only reason for all of these cuts is that GameFreak couldn't fit everything on a 4GB cart and was too cheap to go bigger.