Oct 25, 2017
He also expressed the belief that it is inevitable that game development will become even longer, more complex, and more sophisticated in the future, and while M&A may be considered as a means to deal with this, he added, ``First of all, we need to firmly establish Nintendo within the company.'' The company's basic policy is to work with developers who understand the brand and have built the company's brand over the years to develop human resources who will be responsible for Nintendo's future development.

Courtesy of Google Translate.

Source

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is the big problem the industry is facing right now. Development time and costs are out of control to the degree that most studios put out a game a generation and generations are longer than ever.

Retro put out the entirety of the Metroid Prime Trilogy in just 5 years. FIVE years. The gap between The Last of Us part 1 and The Last of Us part 2 was longer. You could have fit the entire trilogy in that gap and still had room for another game.

If studios and publishers don't figure this all out there's going to be real trouble down the line.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Yeah, this is the big problem the industry is facing right now. Development time and costs are out of control to the degree that most studios put out a game a generation and generations are longer than ever.

Retro put out the entirety of the Metroid Prime Trilogy in just 5 years. FIVE years. The gap between The Last of Us part 1 and The Last of Us part 2 was longer. You could have fit the entire trilogy in that gap and still had room for another game.

If studios and publishers don't figure this all out there's going to be real trouble down the line.

The Last of Us isn't a good comparison because there was Uncharted 4 and Uncharted: Lost Legacy between the two games. Mass Effect 1-2-3 always works though.

Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
There's competing ideas that costs need to come down and games need to be made faster because they take too long, but also bigger and with more and continuous content.

But at the same time, no layoffs, no AI, better working conditions with unions and no crunch.

Think they're in tension.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
The more important part of this quote is that Nintendo is focused on hiring primarily new graduates and experienced professionals as opposed to studio acquisitions.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
Nintendo is just behind the curve. All the problems AAA publishers are facing today, Nintendo will face soon. This happened before. A lot of developers struggled with HD development, and Nintendo temporarily avoided that by releasing a non-HD console. But when Nintendo finally had their own HD console out, they struggled like all the developers before them.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
he isn't wrong. hopefully nintendo does not fall into the same pitfalls all big publishers have fallen, though.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Developers just need to go backwards and make their game have the same budget as indie games

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
A direct sequel to BOTW with recycled assets took 6 years to make. This new one supposedly isn't a direct sequel. How long will that take? 7 years? More?

Mar 17, 2024
All three major players face this problem, there's no getting around it.

What do we players want is the question? Do we want better graphics? Do we even want larger worlds? How much more fidelity and larger textures do we fucking need?

Things will likely even out in the long-term, but there's gonna be a lot of shifting and victims before this industry reaches a place of stability it seems.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Isn't Nintendo planning on expanding like, alot in the near-ish future? They have plans to construct a new building IIRC

That seems like the most reasonable way to combat this issue

Last edited:

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
Nintendo is just behind the curve. All the problem AAA publishers are facing today, Nintendo will face soon. This happened before. A lot of developers struggled with HD development, and Nintendo temporarily avoided that by releasing a non-HD console. But when Nintendo finally had their own HD console out, they struggled like all the developers before them.
even as they struggled it allowed them to keep costs down

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
They will still make smaller games, I'm sure.
He is probably referring to their mainline Zeldas, Marios, etc.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I really don't understand why companies understand this, yet still green light projects that later corroborate the problems they're outlining?

Lower budgets, descope games, lower graphics, whatever. Make GameCube level games if thats what it takes to make studios sustainable. I think we'd be fine with Wind Waker or Prime or Mario Galaxy level games.

Like… stop hitting yourself with the stick?

genericbrand

Oct 28, 2017
At least Nintendo does a bunch of mid budget type games. If Square Enix goes full bore with AAA, Nintendo should embrace the world of 2D pixel HD jrpg's. Zelda already takes a long time to make. Best of luck to GameFreak. I can live with one Xenoblade and Fire Emblem game a gen. Fire Emblem pixel HD remakes

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand why companies understand this, yet still green light projects that later corroborate the problems they're outlining?

Lower budgets, descope games, lower graphics, whatever. Make GameCube level games if thats what it takes to make studios sustainable. I think we'd be fine with Wind Waker or Prime or Mario Galaxy level games.

Are indies releasing games at a pace that suggests this is the end all answer?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Isn't Nintendo planning on expanding like, alot in the near-ish future? They have plans to construct a new building or something like that IIRC

They are expanding their circles beyond the gaming industry (entertainment industry, theme parks, movies, TV dramas, manga, novels, etc.), but they are not expanding as in acquisitions, branching offices, mass hiring, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm definitely worried for the fact that Nintendo can't really lag behind anymore. Hopefully their expansions and their general style of making games keeps them from dealing with this as much as others have. One of the good things they have going for them, though, is a lot of their series have already been a one or two per console thing.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is just behind the curve. All the problems AAA publishers are facing today, Nintendo will face soon. This happened before. A lot of developers struggled with HD development, and Nintendo temporarily avoided that by releasing a non-HD console. But when Nintendo finally had their own HD console out, they struggled like all the developers before them.

Sure but being behind the curve is a big advantage. You are entering a development environment where the relevant toolset has reached maturity and a lot of headache inducing issues have already been figured out. Creating a PS4 level game today would be far less costly than it would have been in 2013 and so on and so on.

Nintendo are already quite well equipped to deal with these issues regardless due to them being able to sell large numbers of games that are naturally lesser inscope. Unlike their counterparts they have cultivated an audience as accepting of a 2D side scroller as much as a AAA Zelda. The next Mario Party is not going to require a massive explosion in scope and budget, same with any of their successful 2D games

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They've balanced things exceptionally well with the switch. The trickiest part for them is the ratio of Nintendo to third party/indie software sales. I think a thread the other day mentioned Nintendo software made up 80% of software sales for the switch. If they can lean on third party games more they'll be in a better spot. That old mantra of people only buying nintendo hardware for nintendo games is hard to shake.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta remember that Covid hit Nintendo pretty hard here, that surely added dev time to TotK.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't ToTK ready for about a year and mainly in bugfixing / waiting for a good time to release? Or am I mistaking it for another title?

Sure but being behind the curve is a big advantage. You are entering a development environment where the relevant toolset has reached maturity and a lot of headache inducing issues have already been figured out. Creating a PS4 level game today would be far less costly than it would have been in 2013 and so on and so on.

You're not wrong but it is still likely more costly and more complicated to make than what would be your PS3-level game you'd been creating up to now.

Bulgowski

Apr 8, 2022

Considering how common the sentiment is on the internet that the Switch is "unplayable" due to it's tech specs, I think this is a real reach.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For Nintendo it'll help that, despite advancing toward high-end hardware, they're most likely still going to keep their games mid-budgeted and not prioritize hardware fidelity. Still it's unfortunate to anticipate that some games like Zelda will inevitably take even longer than they already do to materialize.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, People say Nintendo have avoided what the rest of the industry have been doing but argue it's more them being behind the curve for while and that there already there now with TOTK was probably good indication of that maybe even before that given how they used wiiu ports to cover certain games that have gone entirely without otherwise. Long dev time, increased price. Same thing when transition to HD, same true for how they'll deal with costs and sophistication of game development as they're heading towards a new generation with better hardware with more expectations. Metroid prime still isnt out for long while, We haven't seen a new mario 3D game as well which longest it's ever been with 7 years.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Considering how common the sentiment is on the internet that the Switch is "unplayable" due to it's tech specs, I think this is a real reach.
We do hear that stuff a lot of forums or whatever, but it hasn't seemed to affect sales at all, so I think that market of people is probably just irrelevant and not worth spending a boatload of money to please. its probably safe to write them off and target the people who will actually buy your games

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Things aren't 8-bit or 2D as the baseline anymore that appeals to the general public.

Even if it's just 3D games, lot more development and new features (Raytracing) are being added to games.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like it could be a much bigger problem for Nintendo when compared with Sony/Microsoft, simply because Nintendo consoles are much more reliant on first party software.

www.resetera.com

81% of Nintendo's software revenue came from first-party in the last fiscal year

EDIT: Didn't find any proper explanation in the documents themselves if this is based on units or revenue, but I found an old thread from Daniel Ahmad, and he also says this is revenue based...

If the output slows down, their next console will suffer.

It might be wise of them to get the next 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing out within the first 12 months of the Switch 2 to give it a nice boost for the next 3-4 years.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I think we'd be fine with Wind Waker or Prime or Mario Galaxy level games.

Selling to an audience of just Resetera does not pay for game creation as a whole.

What you really are arguing for is a significant reduction in headcount since that is where the majority of game development costs come from. But "games will look the same forever but with new levels" is not a long term salable strategy.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Nintendo planning on expanding like, alot in the near-ish future? They have plans to construct a new building IIRC

Yes they've been recruiting heavily for several years now. Clearly will continue given the additional building and planned recruitment expenses.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't ToTK ready for about a year and mainly in bugfixing / waiting for a good time to release? Or am I mistaking it for another title?

You're not wrong but it is still likely more costly and more complicated to make than what would be your PS3-level game you'd been creating up to now.
I think that quote might have been taken out of context a bit, but TotK went through a long polishing phase is what I believe they were trying to say. That should count as dev time though, I don't really want Nintendo to cut corners there.

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
i mean, this is debatable, while with the WiiU they had some bizarre years without "ambitious AAA HD" games, they did delivered with the Switch in that regard, stuff like Smash, Pikmin 4, Animal Crossing, Zelda and Mario look pretty on par with modern home-console games.

like, if you compare the first "HD Kirby" with the last one on the Switch, the difference is pretty big

(...they just need to learn what antialiasing is)

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022

The last iterations of Wind Waker and Mario Galaxy were in HD so I'm not sure what this even means.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
When I heard they delayed the Switch 2 to "strengthen their games line-up", I knew it was because games are taking longer to develop than they anticipated and suggested they might buy SEGA to bolster their output going forward (one of their closest partners with good synergy). Sounds like that might be what they are really thinking

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

Absolutely. But the point was that being behind the curve generationally provides them with a sizable advantage - so whilst they may encounter the same general issues as everyone else it would not anywhere near as pronounced. Take something like DLSS as an example. Because they are a generation behind the cutting edge curve that technology is now matured and at a point where they'll be able to make good use of it to save themselves a ton of potential headaches and give themselves way more headroom during developement across the board.

Apr 20, 2022
It sucks hearing that but at least with Nintendo you are very likely get a great game no matter how long it takes. Plus they make a lot of other stuff so even if the next Zelda or mario takes ages there's something else in the meantime

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
They kind of mitigate these issues by aiming for lower spec hardware (and streamlining their dev pipeline combining handheld and console development), but it's still coming. They dealt with the transition to HD just like everyone else (it just happened a gen later).