• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

matt1996

May 24, 2019
Software Sales
  1. [NSW] Utakata no Uchronia – 11,553 / NEW
  2. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 11,247 / 5,792,910
  3. [NSW] Princess Peach: Showtime – 10,736 / 135,168
  4. [NSW] Super Mario Bros. Wonder – 8,881 / 1,822,526
  5. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 7,962 / 1,314,142
  6. [PS5] Rise of the Ronin – 6,985 / 103,850
  7. [NSW] Minecraft – 5,848 / 3,496,869
  8. [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 5,729 / 4,276,628
  9. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 5,342 / 7,740,635
  10. [NSW] It Takes Two – 4,832 / 38,379

Hardware Sales
  • Switch OLED – 58,336
  • Switch Lite – 7,174
  • Switch – 5,763
  • PS5 – 16,455
  • PS5 Digital Edition – 4,486
  • Xbox Series X – 1,873
  • Xbox Series S – 743
  • PS4 – 41
nintendoeverything.com

Famitsu sales (4/8/24 - 4/14/24)

The latest Japanese hardware sales from Famitsu are as follows: Switch OLED – 58,336 PS4 – 16,455 Switch Lite – 7,174 Switch – 5,763 PS5 Digital Edition – 4,486 Xbox Series X – 1,873 Xbox Series S – 743 PS4 – 41 For comparison’s sake, here are the hardware numbers from last week: Switch OLED –...

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ronin's hold continues to be pretty damn good. And while Peach Showtime's total numbers aren't as massive as I was hoping, it's also showing good legs.

As for Splatoon 3, yeah, it's continuing to prove why S3 was the right call for Japan specifically. Didn't think the Side Order boost would persist for this long over there. Even Animal Crossing is showing amazing legs for a game that dropped in 2020, I'd imagine that a new Animal Crossing on the Switch 2 is EPD 5's top priority for the first year or so (in terms of if Animal Crossing 6 or Splatoon 4 is next).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ronin cracked 100k and is still in the top ten after several weeks. Good performance for a game nobody seemed to have any faith in.

But man, that is one dismal sales week overall. Woof.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
2nd best week 15 for Switch in Japan during its 8th year...

With golden week coming up, momentum is gonna be steady.

Mario Kart 8 is almost at number 1 lmfao

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
dragons dogma legs are bad, dont know what happened to that game after initial sales, the reviews? the word of mouth? what happened?

Has there been a recent Otome game that sold more than 11k+?

Seems like around 10k is the limit.
They're nothing if not steady and budget conscious!

The Switch's performance this year is absolute insane-o mode.

dragons dogma legs are bad, dont know what happened to that game after initial sales, the reviews? the word of mouth? what happened?

Bad WOM is the culprit. Someone in a previous thread had mentioned that the general tone of the Amazon reviews for the game were a lot more critical of the game's shortcomings than in the west, which is pretty severe given how much Japan hard-carried the first game's sales when it was an initial commercial disappointment.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It's just not that appealing to mass audiences. It's a game made exclusively for omegafans of the original vanilla Dragon's Dogma and nobody else. I'm not shocked at all that its sales have fallen off considerably.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GEO stores had a discount campaign for buying a Switch OLED with elligible software (explains why It Takes Two randomly appeared in the charts these last two weeks). Switch's excellent hold is likely owed to it, and since the campaign only ended today, this week should probably also be good for Switch hardware. That + Golden Week incoming is creating a pretty unprecedented wave for a console that's in its eighth year.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
10k for a physical console release of an Otome game or any but the most popular VNs in general is really good.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese Switch sales are more stable than firmware updates and that's a crazy thought considering the numbers.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Demon Slayer ain't what it was a few years ago in Japan, so while it's likely going to have a decent first week, I wouldn't expect much out of it in the long run. I'd honestly expect it to be a fairly competitive week between that, Stellar Blade, and Sand Land.
Oh damn, I didn't realize all of that was releasing in the same week.

it should do pretty good, I imagine with it also being a party game like Mario party
I was thinking an IP like DS + Mario Party + Switch could go wild in the Japanese charts

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
No one:
Absolutely no one:

Nintendo Switch: 71,273
I mean I have to say for this week specifically with how weak the switch S/W sales compared with how well the H/W sales are
it does make me wonder what all these japanese people do with the Switch consoles...
And no of course I'm not implying it's an import think like the PS5 situation but I still don't get it sometimes.
Am I the only one wondering this?

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I have to say for this week specifically with how weak the switch S/W sales compared with how well the H/W sales are
it does make me wonder what all these japanese people do with the Switch consoles...
And no of course I'm not implying it's an import think like the PS5 situation but I still don't get it sometimes.

Weak Switch software sales? You have almost 70.000 units sold (only retail) on the top 10? What?

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017

Is this a meme post? Lol.
There's a massive, massive selection of highly sought after and popular switch games (the evergreens) that are still selling years after they released. This isn't like a PS5 situation where there's no real software that ever came close to evergreen status.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
[Q
Weak Switch software sales? You have almost 70.000 units sold (only retail) on the top 10? What?

Is this a meme post? Lol.
There's a massive, massive selection of highly sought after and popular switch games (the evergreens) that are still selling years after they released. This isn't like a PS5 situation where there's no real software that ever came close to evergreen status.
Guys are you maybe confused by what I said?
I just compared this week specifically and I also didn't want to compare the situation at all with PS5.
I specifically wanted to avoid that because of course the situation is different.
But I'm surpried you don't agree this is one of the more weak weeks S/W sales-wise in general.

An otome game is in number one place....I mean I'm not complaining I really like VNs but it says a lot xD.
I thought we would agree on this.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ronin really proving that you can have good legs on PS5 if you release games that are interesting to the japanese market
Ronin cracked 100k and is still in the top ten after several weeks. Good performance for a game nobody seemed to have any faith in.

But man, that is one dismal sales week overall. Woof.
Dismal? why? not many titles released and the evergreens are doing as well they do usually

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Oddly enough, if you add up all the Switch software sales in the top 10, you'd get around the same number as hardware sales.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Something i did not expected to be like this. And it´s really not good. I quote Joseki from IB!

"PS5 is tracking to end 2024 around -50% YoY, pretty poor."

www.installbaseforum.com

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2024 (Apr 08 - Apr 14)

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2024 (Apr 08 - Apr 14) ___ Famitsu Sales: Week 15, 2024 (Apr 08 - Apr 14) 01./00. [NSW] Utakata no Uchronia # (Broccoli) {2024.04.11} (¥7.800) - 11.553 / NEW 02./02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 11.247 / 5.792.910 (-14%) 03./01...

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
weak? what you mean? With only the top 10 and no digital switch sw are already almost 1/1 to hw this week
it is nowhere near the ps5 situation where many weeks all combined sw in top 30 wasnt even close to what the HW was selling
Oddly enough, if you add up all the Switch software sales in the top 10, you'd get around the same number as hardware sales.
Yep that is the reason, most people are buying the evergreens but since there are many of them the sw sales are very distributed

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Haha which usually not the case of course because a lot of people that already have the console buy games but it does make for an intereseting onbservation

weak? what you mean? With only the top 10 and no digital switch sw are already almost 1/1 to hw this week
it is nowhere near the ps5 situation where many weeks all combined sw in top 30 wasnt even close to what the HW was selling
Look ok maybe I souldn't have mentioned the PS5 at all, let's put it out of the picture because it does complicate things, but as I mentioned I was comparing this week.
Let's focus on the week itself, Switch S/W is almost 1/1 to H/W as you mentioned.
Is this normal or rare? And if it's rare why is that?
That's my ultimate question.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 needs a price-cut in Japan ASAP.
*In the whole world, actually, but especially in Japan.

Haha which usually not the case of course because a lot of people that already have the console buy games but it does make for an intereseting onbservation

Look ok maybe I souldn't have mentioned the PS5 at all, let's put it out of the picture because it does complicate things, but as I mentioned I was comparing this week.
Let's focus on the week itself, Switch S/W is almost 1/1 to H/W as you mentioned.
Is this normal or rare? And if it's rare why is that?
That's my ultimate question.
I think it's a fairly normal occurrence in the absence of a big new software release. The next two months should be a lot more interesting with how many larger releases the platform is seeing, with May having Endless Ocean/Forever Blue Luminous and Paper Mario TTYD, and June bringing SMTV:V and Luigi's Mansion 2.

Catchphrase

Nov 28, 2023
Something i did not expected to be like this. And it´s really not good. I quote Joseki from IB!

www.installbaseforum.com

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2024 (Apr 08 - Apr 14) ___ Famitsu Sales: Week 15, 2024 (Apr 08 - Apr 14) 01./00. [NSW] Utakata no Uchronia # (Broccoli) {2024.04.11} (¥7.800) - 11.553 / NEW 02./02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 11.247 / 5.792.910 (-14%) 03./01...
yeah the PS5's YTD is down around 43% so far
Would be amazing if the Switch sold more than last year

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's a fairly normal occurrence in the absence of a big new software release. The next two months should be a lot more interesting with how many larger releases the platform is seeing, with May having Endless Ocean/Forever Blue Luminous and Paper Mario TTYD, and June bringing SMTV:V and Luigi's Mansion 2.
In terms of S/W yeah it's a pretty boring week as you said, next few weeks are gonna be more interesting
Which makes the H/W sales all that surprising and incedible tbh

Ronin doing what most PS5 games never do in Japan. Impressive.
All Team Ninja games have really good legs since Nioh 1 actually (despite having different overall sales), so they are very consistent in that front!

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Well, software sales were lower than past weeks but top 10 still posts 70k+ games sold on Switch, which might be 100k+ considering the rest of the chart.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Well, software sales were lower than past weeks but top 10 still posts 70k+ games sold on Switch, which might be 100k+ considering the rest of the chart.
Ah..so Top30 in total you say makes up for that.
Ok that's something I didn't think tbh but usually after Top10 numbers start to drop sigificantly that's why it didn't cross my mind.
Does Famitsu also post overall S/W for each week btw?
I mean in total, not just summing the Top30.

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
[Q

Guys are you maybe confused by what I said?
I just compared this week specifically and I also didn't want to compare the situation at all with PS5.
I specifically wanted to avoid that because of course the situation is different.
But I'm surpried you don't agree this is one of the more weak weeks S/W sales-wise in general.

An otome game is in number one place....I mean I'm not complaining I really like VNs but it says a lot xD.
I thought we would agree on this.

I didn't mention PS5. As it's been explained to you there are still more games sold than the top 10 (not only top 30) and this is only a retail list, no digital included. So even if it's a weaker software week there are still a lot of switch games sold weekly.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't mention PS5. As it's been explained to you there are still more games sold than the top 10 (not only top 30) and this is only a retail list, no digital included. So even if it's a weaker software week there are still a lot of switch games sold weekly.
No worries, I quoted 2 people and the second did mention PS5.
The overall sales outside of the Top10 is indeed something I did'nt initially though of so that's a nice explanation but as always it would be great if we had overall
sales numbers for each week (physical only).

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Which was clearly a mistake.
Honestly think Sony did it because of currency conversions and the export market, where they were losing a lot of money.

Speaking of exports, Switch sales may be being influenced by those same currency conversions as well, helping it keep a strong baseline.

Sorta fascinating how gaming arbitrage has become a big factor around the world the last decade (e.g., GamePass, Steam, etc.)

www.installbaseforum.com

Surprisingly, Xbox is trending to be up YoY if these rates continue.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Ah..so Top30 in total you say makes up for that.
Ok that's something I didn't think tbh but usually after Top10 numbers start to drop sigificantly that's why it didn't cross my mind.
Does Famitsu also post overall S/W for each week btw?
I mean in total, not just summing the Top30.

Unfortunately not.

Last week from 11 to 30 software sales of Switch games totalled around 50k units.