SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I was always wishing that Mario Maker 3 would end up being Mario Maker 3D. This is proof that it can not only work, but be really fun and even intuitive to use.

Really hoping Nintendo has something like this in the works where you can choose between making SM64-style, Sunshine-style, and Galaxy-style stages.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
This was cool as hell as it was, finding out it works on real hardware is mind blowing.

Hope the unofficial port gets this.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Finally we can get some good Mario 64 levels.

I exaggerate, but I think a lot of the level design was super weak in that game. Some of them just feel like they've dumped a bunch of stuff around during testing, and didn't pick it all back up. Other times they're just places for Mario to explore like it's an adventure game, which just never interested me. I want to hop around like a maniac in Mario. Not talk to NPCs and pick up penguins. I'm hyped for some dope athletic courses.

EDIT:
Who am I kidding? It's mostly going to be chaff like Super Mario Maker. Hopefully this picks up on Twitter, and some good ones become easy to share and find.
Even if only a handful of genuinely great levels get made with this it would be way more than worth it for me.

One of the things I was most excited for with Mario 64 DS was that there would be new levels, but the new levels being smaller in scope than main levels was a bummer.

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
Cease and desist letters already in the mail.

Insane that someone would try and make a tool like this. Incredible what people are capable of.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
Excellent. Another one on the list. I dream of every one of my favourite games to get level editors so we can always get new content for them ad infinitum.

Tomb Raider 90s has an official level editor and that community is still active to this day, Portal 2 as well and I just learned that Rayman had one too.

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy has an unofficial one, Pokemon famously has the countless rom hacks.

Just need MGS1-3 to get one and I'm set for life.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Excellent.

Fans made Super Mario Maker 3D even before Nintendo.

Next time you tell me there will be a The Legend of Zelda Maker. 😏

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Super Mario 64 is the greatest game of all time. It's hard to believe just how perfect they nailed the move-set and physics in their first 3d outing. Can't wait to throw this on my everdrive.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I wonder what the restrictions are on these levels, I'd love to make a "Getting Over It With Super Mario" level

lennylightspeed

Prophet of Truth
Jul 21, 2019
Man, I hope this thing takes off. I haven't tried it yet, but planning to load it up on the MiSTer. Anyone know if the custom level files will work on there? Saw the info on SD cards on the guide and didn't know how that would apply for folks running it on FPGA.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
When it's on the Internet it's there forever, they did the most important thing and just released it

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Even if only a handful of genuinely great levels get made with this it would be way more than worth it for me.

One of the things I was most excited for with Mario 64 DS was that there would be new levels, but the new levels being smaller in scope than main levels was a bummer.
Yeah Im hyped for those no matter how few, because even 1 banger would be huge. Mario's moves in 64 deserves some yabai crazy courses.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Ever since Super Mario Maker 2 released I've been hoping that the next evolution in the Mario Maker series would be a "Super Mario 3D Maker". It feels as if Nintendo has unfortunately put the franchise on ice.

Where is the evidence of that ? The 2D Mario team might cycle between the Maker series and traditional 2D games.

Anyway cool project, I wonder if there'd be anyway to combine this specific project with everything else that has been done with Mario 64 such as controls mods, camera mods, etc.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Incredible stuff. I'd long hoped for this from Nintendo following Mario Maker 2. There have been a few fun Mario 64 romhacks over the years but I imagine this will blow the doors open. Wonder if it allows for creating a new hub world with multiple different levels, along with multiple stars in each, or it's locked to just free standing levels.

Interested to see what limits there are on real hardware compared to an emulator too, or if the emulation would also have the same upper limits for size/asset use

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
This is very cool.

But i have to imagine that this way more cumbersome than having a desktop client for building levels...

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
that's incredible, the kind of stuff I hoped for the sequel of the first Mario Maker

Nov 28, 2017
This is awesome, brings me back to learning how to use Toads Tool 64 to make my own SM64 Levels/Scrips but better, since you can do them "in-game"!

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This made me realize Sunshine added the ability to slide down walls which made wall jumping a lot easier than Mario 64.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stunned this is actually a ROMhack. I would have thought it was a dedicated Windows program using that plugin for putting SM64 Mario into whatever you want. God damn.

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hope this thing takes off. I haven't tried it yet, but planning to load it up on the MiSTer. Anyone know if the custom level files will work on there? Saw the info on SD cards on the guide and didn't know how that would apply for folks running it on FPGA.

The hacked rom works on Mister, but I can't figure out how to save or load levels from the SD card.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I tried this out this afternoon finally, game/tool is very nice, good UI mostly. Im gonna try and put something together.

Ill post a link maybe when done. Anyone else finished a level here?