Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those of us who played The Curse of Monkey Island, a 1997 game, know that it looks great even today. However, there are some artifacts, and Jan Bing decided to use ESRGAN, and also do some manual touches to upscale and remaster the first seven minutes of it.

For those who don't know what ESRGAN is, this thread explains more about it.

This is the final result:

And this is a comparison between the original and the upscaled remaster:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That looks great. I suspect that the rest of the game can be cleaned up as well.

Is there a way to easily package this into a playable copy of the game from GOG or wherever?

edit: Considering that this was just posted, the answer is probably no. Even when it has to be touched up, AI upscaling is such an amazing tool. Looking forward to eventually playing a fully upscaled version of Curse.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That looks great. I suspect that the rest of the game can be cleaned up as well.

Is there a way to easily package this into a playable copy of the game from GOG or wherever?

edit: Considering that this was just posted, the answer is probably no. Even when it has to be touched up, AI upscaling is so great. Looking forward to finally playing a fully upscaled version of Curse.
That's a great question. I don't know if that would be possible, but they mention in the video's description that they extracted the video with Scumm Revisited 5. Since Scumm is used to play the game, I wonder if you can import back?

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I can't describe how happy I was when I hit play and saw it wasn't interpolated 60fps, lol. So used to upscaled videos arbitrarily messing with the framerate.

Looks really good! Probably the best you can get considering the source. Edit: Even more impressive after watching the comparison. Memory has a way of smoothing over resolution, lol.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know it was forgotten.
In the UK where I live atleast, Curse was the one that everyone seemed to have way back; so I assumed it was one of the more popular ones.
most of the original team moved on have the second game. Some returned for the Tales episodes. Thus Curse and Escape have always been seen as sort of the mid tier sequels, despite both being very good.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I forgot just how good the Monkey Island theme song is...
I miss these games and their sense of humor.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
All they need is to run through the game with those tools and you got another worthy remaster.

Everything else about the game if fine it just needs a tidy up.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love this series and contrary to other fans I think Curse is far and away the best entry. The cleaned up visuals are fantastic.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Looks mostly superb, although there's a few moments where there's a face in the distance where it overdoes the smoothing and could do with a pixel or two of extra definition that it's lost from the original:

Is2l9A9.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks mostly superb, although there's a few moments where there's a face in the distance where it overdoes the smoothing and could do with a pixel or two of extra definition that it's lost from the original:

Is2l9A9.png
Yeah. They say in the description that there's room for improvement. But for a first version with a few manual touches, it's definitely superb!

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I respect the work done, but I kind of prefer the original.

It looks rougher, but it's what the artists put on the screen, I just can't get over the uncanny valley that crops up intermittently.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda weird we haven't seen a lot of remasters using this technology. Just needs a bit of touching up.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
God, that theme song. Saying it right here folks, the Monkey Island theme might be the best theme song in video games. Makes me just want to exist in its world.

*glances at ScummVM icon*

Oh yeah, the upscale is pretty nifty. Curse's art style really lends itself well to something like this.

More details by who made it!

Laserschwert

Oct 24, 2018
That upscale was made by me, so I'm glad you like it.

To answer some of your questions, I did upscale all the backgrounds last year, which you can find here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameUpscale/comments/buizw0/the_curse_of_monkey_island/ (including several comparisons), and those awesome backgrounds seem to lend themselves perfectly for upscaling, without much manual cleanup necessary.

I am hoping to upscale all the game's other cutscenes as well, though unless the ScummVM devs find a way to add support for upscaled cutscenes or cleaned up backgrounds, this is all just a big what-if. Which in turn answers another question: As of now it's not possible to put these upscales back into the game. The way the game reads and displays graphics requires them to be in a specific format (in image size, color depth and compression), so bringing these remastered versions back to something the game can display, puts us just back where we started.

I have several ideas how and where to improve the upscaled intro, especially the parts where the camera closes in on the bumper car, or where it floats away from the camera would benefit from just tracking the full-size frame onto the whole thing. The way it is now, it's clear that the algorithm had to work with very few pixels in the distance.

Audio could use upsampling from 22kHz as well, but it's not something that seems to be possible with current AI tools yet.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

To answer some of your questions, I did upscale all the backgrounds last year, which you can find here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameUpscale/comments/buizw0/the_curse_of_monkey_island/ (including several comparisons), and those awesome backgrounds seem to lend themselves perfectly for upscaling, without much manual cleanup necessary.

I am hoping to upscale all the game's other cutscenes as well, though unless the ScummVM devs find a way to add support for upscaled cutscenes or cleaned up backgrounds, this is all just a big what-if. Which in turn answers another question: As of now it's not possible to put these upscales back into the game. The way the game reads and displays graphics requires them to be in a specific format (in image size, color depth and compression), so bringing these remastered versions back to something the game can display, puts us just back where we started.

I have several ideas how and where to improve the upscaled intro, especially the parts where the camera closes in on the bumper car, or where it floats away from the camera would benefit from just tracking the full-size frame onto the whole thing. The way it is now, it's clear that the algorithm had to work with very few pixels in the distance.

Audio could use upsampling from 22kHz as well, but it's not something that seems to be possible with current AI tools yet.
Thank you so much! Please keep us up-to-date!

Oct 29, 2017

edit: Considering that this was just posted, the answer is probably no. Even when it has to be touched up, AI upscaling is such an amazing tool. Looking forward to eventually playing a fully upscaled version of Curse.
As the original creator of this posted, the answer is... maybe????

I've fallen into a deep hole of ScummVM recently, delving into its dev discord, forums, etc. ScummVM and it's sister project ResidualVM have history with modded versions of games. ScummVM allows a "unofficial talkie" version of Monkey 1 and 2, pulling VO from the recent remakes, and alternate soundtracks (whether they be re-recorded MIDI, or full on FLAC files made by fans) are possible. ResidualVM has The Longest Journey working in their daily builds, with support for a fan made AI upscaled mod.

There's an old forum thread showcasing this upscaling tech for games like Myst and Riven, as well as some backgrounds for Monkey 3, with lots of people going "that's interesting, we should look at this", but no development yet.

The ScummVM team is crazy dedicated, from reviving Blade Runner (and recently adding unlocked frame rate mode) to remaking half of a forgotten point and click, as it had a Wolfenstein 3D like section that was out of scope for the project, to reverse engineering modern adventure game making tools, I don't doubt that at SOME POINT something like this could be playable, but likely other things take priority.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
This is incredible. I'd love to see something similar for Sam & Max Hit the Road. How does one get started with ESRGAN?

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
So i'm assuming this isn't real time? Because it would be really amazing to have features like this implemented in scummvm for example.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
most of the original team moved on have the second game. Some returned for the Tales episodes. Thus Curse and Escape have always been seen as sort of the mid tier sequels, despite both being very good.

That's not really true. The rankings I see the most often are:

1) MI2
2) MI1 or Curse
4) Tales
5) Escape

Curse and Escape are almost NEVER bundled together, as Curse is by faaaaaaaar the better game. It's also much better than Tales.

What *does* happen is that some people consider Curse (as well as Escape & Tales) as kind of seperate from 1 & 2 because Ron Gilbert wasn't in charge of them (and I question how much he really contributed to Tales). The tone/vibe change is very evident as the later games lack Ron's trademark dark humour, so I agree with that take.

However, even taken on its own merits Curse is an absolutely fantastic game, one of the best point & clicks ever made, and I've seen few people argue that.
Escape on the other hand is low tier trash which I would dunk on given any excuse.
Tales is variable. Part 1 is poor, part 2 is the worst MI game ever, part 3 is great, and parts 4/5 are good.

Great work. Curious, was text (like the diary) some of the manual work you had to do, or did esrgan pick that up well?

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Artifact removing works amazingly well.

Would love to see all so many games with improved compression for cutscenes and properly artifact free videos.

Laserschwert

Oct 24, 2018
Great work. Curious, was text (like the diary) some of the manual work you had to do, or did esrgan pick that up well?
Nope, that worked without manual adjustments.

Manual work went into that big pan from LeChuck's thugs holding Guybrush to the rowboat full of skeletons, as that was riddled in compression artifacts. So I created one long panorama from the both ends of the pan, and tracked it on top of the existing footage. Another manual fix was adding actual inbetweens to the shot of Guybrush sighing after Elaine proclaims her love. That shot was animated on 2s, which in the case of this 12 frames-per-second cutscene amounts to only 6fps. In the comparison you can see how it's smoothed out (though I had to completely replace the background behind Guybrush for that to work - so more tracking a long panorama onto the original background). Interpolating this kind of line-art only works on very slight movements though, otherwise the motion estimation doesn't know which line from one frame belongs to which one in the next. There are a few more shots (or portions of shots) animated on 2s, so maybe I'll give them a go at interpolating those as well.

Another huge chunk of manual work were of course the titles and credits. The MI logo and the "THE CURSE OF" are replaced with high-res versions, I've recreated the cartoony fire-effect, plus the credits are completely re-typed with the correct fonts at high resolution. What I didn't notice is that the font struggles with apostrophes, so all those O'Farragh, O'Donnell and 'Cpt. Tripps' - I'm sorry those got messed up!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, that worked without manual adjustments.

Manual work went into that big pan from LeChuck's thugs holding Guybrush to the rowboat full of skeletons, as that was riddled in compression artifacts. So I created one long panorama from the both ends of the pan, and tracked it on top of the existing footage. Another manual fix was adding actual inbetweens to the shot of Guybrush sighing after Elaine proclaims her love. That shot was animated on 2s, which in the case of this 12 frames-per-second cutscene amounts to only 6fps. In the comparison you can see how it's smoothed out (though I had to completely replace the background behind Guybrush for that to work - so more tracking a long panorama onto the original background). Interpolating this kind of line-art only works on very slight movements though, otherwise the motion estimation doesn't know which line from one frame belongs to which one in the next. There are a few more shots (or portions of shots) animated on 2s, so maybe I'll give them a go at interpolating those as well.

Another huge chunk of manual work were of course the titles and credits. The MI logo and the "THE CURSE OF" are replaced with high-res versions, I've recreated the cartoony fire-effect, plus the credits are completely re-typed with the correct fonts at high resolution. What I didn't notice is that the font struggles with apostrophes, so all those O'Farragh, O'Donnell and 'Cpt. Tripps' - I'm sorry those got messed up!

I see, cheers!