Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
I was thinking recently about the translation scene, especially in the late 90ies /early 2000 (but not limited to) that were translating so many Japanese games that never reached USA or Europe.

Stuff like Dejap's translation of Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean.

What are for you someone those iconic translations teams? Bonus point if you mention some meaningful translation(s) they made

OP
OP
Cugel

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
thinking about it it was mainly Jrpgs, but there may have been more types?

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest one I can think of is probably the Mother 3 Translation.
More recently, the Tsukihime Remake translation but the official release got announced before they finished Ciel's route.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not games, but Duwang was as iconic as it got for Jojo. Just a single (afaik) anonymous person
8c4.png

Peak

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I feel Yakuza 1 PS2 undub counts cuz not only was the audio reverted to JP, but the text went through changes to make it more faithful to the original.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
What are some recent iconic translations?

Racing Lagoon
Dr Slump
Shin Megami Tensei PSX
B.L.U.E. Legend of Water
Choro Q series
Harmful Park
Aconcagua
...Iru!
Mizzurna Falls
Tokimeki Memorial

There's also Boko no Yatsuyasumi 2 and Dog of Bay translation in the works by Hilltop.

The one game that sorta baffles me for having not been translated is Moonlight Syndrome. That game got translated to Spanish, but no English translation in sight. There's some old blog posts that indicate someone was working on one years ago but I highly doubt it's ever coming from that translator.

OP
OP
Cugel

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Racing Lagoon
Dr Slump
Shin Megami Tensei PSX
B.L.U.E. Legend of Water
Choro Q series
Harmful Park
Aconcagua
...Iru!
Mizzurna Falls
Tokimeki Memorial

There's also Boko no Yatsuyasumi 2 and Dog of Bay translation in the works by Hilltop.

The one game that sorta baffles me for having not been translated is Moonlight Syndrome. That game got translated to Spanish, but no English translation in sight. There's some old blog posts that indicate someone was working on one years ago but I highly doubt it's ever coming from that translator.
What are the groups behind those?
Exactly what I mean

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The LNF Translations/SoM2Freak version of Seiken Densetsu 3 was my first exposure to a fan translation, and it blew my mind back in the early 2000s.

As far as modern fan translation teams go, I'm a big fan of the work of Geofront and their work on the Crossbell arc games of the Trails series. Plus, their translations were considered good enough to serve as the base for the 'official' translations, so that says something as to the quality of their work.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I learned about emulators when some guy in an AOL chatroom told me you could play Final Fantasy V *in english* *on your computer*. blew my god damned mind

ReclusiveHaze

Sep 1, 2022
Absolute Zero Translations, I used to visit their site and forums religiously back when I was an ultra-obsessed Tales fan.

Their Tales of Phantasia (PSX) and Tales of Innocence (DS) translations were wonderful and I've still yet to play their Tales of the Tempest (DS) translation but they unfortunately cancelled their other projects years ago.

One of the members, kingcom, though still works on other projects. I was pleasantly surprised to see his name attached to the excellent Super Robot Taisen: Original Generations (PS2) translation patch.

Oct 27, 2017
Racing Lagoon
Dr Slump
Shin Megami Tensei PSX
B.L.U.E. Legend of Water
Choro Q series
Harmful Park
Aconcagua
...Iru!
Mizzurna Falls
Tokimeki Memorial

Hilltop is iconic af.

Shouts out Aeon Genesis. They were prolific for years, bringing us cult titles like Cave Noire, Front Mission Gun Hazard, Live-A-Live, La Mulana, SMT I-II-if, and Treasure of the Rudras.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Exactly what I mean

Mizzurna Falls - Cirosan

Shin Megami Tensei PSX - Fothsid

Aconcagua - Hilltop
B.L.U.E. Legend of Water - Hilltop
Dr Slump - Hilltop
Harmful Park - Hilltop
Racing Lagoon - Hilltop

Choro Q series - Robertmvsa & mz

...Iru! - SnowyAria

Tokimeki Memorial - Hard to tell but credited to a team called "TranslatedGames" consisting of a "Tom", "FlashPV" and "DDS"

Basically, Hilltop are cracked as hell right now, and I salute everyone else working on getting any game available to new audiences.

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Racing Lagoon
Dr Slump
Shin Megami Tensei PSX
B.L.U.E. Legend of Water
Choro Q series
Harmful Park
Aconcagua
...Iru!
Mizzurna Falls
Tokimeki Memorial

It looks like Dog of Bay was just released last week! https://www.patreon.com/posts/dog-of-bay-patch-87795304

Apr 19, 2018
I learned about emulators when some guy in an AOL chatroom told me you could play Final Fantasy V *in english* *on your computer*. blew my god damned mind

Loved reading about the story behind the Final Fantasy V fan translation:

kotaku.com

How Three Kids With No Experience Beat Square And Translated Final Fantasy V Into English

One day in the late 1990s, Myria walked into the Irvine High School computer room and spotted a boy playing Final Fantasy V. There were two unusual things about this. The first was that Final Fantasy V had not actually come out in the United States. To play the 1992 Japanese game in English...

Apr 2, 2021
Exactly what I mean
Big group right now is Hilltop and I know that off the top of my head. I'm not even a big "fan translation" guy, the only recent ones I've played are for Racing Lagoon and Shiren The Wanderer 64 (which to be fair was translated by a person who's name I don't know off the top of my head)

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I am thankful for the Ace Attorney Investigations 1+2 translations. Shameful that they never got official releases in the west.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
The main FF5 one specifically is still very special to me even if it is very flawed.

Dejap's forum (itself a section of the ZSNES board) was basically my introduction to message boards and message board culture. I probably would not be posting on this site if it wasn't for me starting out on that forum and following people from Dejap/ZSNES across a number of forums. Of course, their translations themselves were important to me. Tigers and all. I pretty much loaded up that front page daily looking forward to Bahamut Lagoon and Star Ocean finally releasing.

Of course, Aeon Genesis is probably the one that meant the most to me in terms of what they were doing. I was already a MegaTen fan before the SMT1 translation dropped, but AGTP was a big part of me building my love for those games. It was also wild to see that they got prominent enough that Atlus USA used to outright link to AGTP on their home page (and allowed the fan translations to be advertised on their own board) before somebody from corporate finally wised up and got them to remove it. A nice coda to this all is that I bought one of the Data East SNES collection carts that got released a few years back about a month ago, and booting up Magical Drop 2 caused me to be met with the familiar sight of the Aeon Genesis logo. Upon checking into it, it turns out that they finally got to contribute one of their translations to an official project. I was so happy for Ghid when I saw that it was real.