BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
I'm not sure how to put this into words, but I don't agree completely with this.

All I can come up with is

eFurSzw.gif

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, this thread makes me less likely to ever try this. It's hillarious how every single time a "hey guys try this [non-Nintendo game] because it's totally like [Nintendo game]" threads assure me people have no idea what those Nintendo franchises actually are. Never fails to make me laugh at how desperate those people are trying and failing to compare those franchises to Nintendo's juggernauts.
As someone who has played and loved every single 3D Zelda, there is definitely some influence. However, I wouldn't go in expecting it to completely scratch an OoT itch like, at all.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, this thread makes me less likely to ever try this. It's hillarious how every single time a "hey guys try this [non-Nintendo game] because it's totally like [Nintendo game]" threads assure me people have no idea what those Nintendo franchises actually are. Never fails to make me laugh at how desperate those people are trying and failing to compare those franchises to Nintendo's juggernauts.

It sounds like you're upset anyone would dare compare it to your precious Nintendo. If that bothers you, you probably didn't want to try it anyway.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
Now I love God of War and I'm really, really excited to buy this one (I had to buy the Yakuza 6 After Hours edition first) but damn, do we really need about 5 threads a day about it?

I agree. I see no reason why threads like these that solely focus on just gushing about the game can't just be posted in the OT.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great endorsement, but old school Zelda isn't Ocarina of Time, friend. Actually, if old school Zelda is what you want, then BotW is the game to play funny enough - ha.

But yeah GoW looks dope.
Well, I didn't know what label to use for OoT style Zelda that would instantly make it clear what I was talking about :P

It's very mysterious at first but, where I am, I'm REALLY liking where I think it's heading.
Yeah, there have been some elements that have come into play that I am interested to see play out

Very true, I have absolutely no idea what Zelda is about

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wonder to how many other things will GOW be compared to in the following month or so

anyway, don't have a ps4 so I can't
I agree. I see no reason why threads like these that solely focus on just gushing about the game can't just be posted in the OT.
well we had the exact same thing about botw one year ago..people like gushing about what they like

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Considering the kind of 3D spatial thinking required for solving puzzles in the 3D Zelda games, I think people going into GOW expecting something along those lines need to keep their expectations in check.

Solving puzzles in 3D Zelda games is more like this:

1200px-Rubik%27s_cube.svg.png

instead of this

26616_plain.jpg

3D dungeon puzzles are simply in a different category of puzzle gameplay.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
OoT-style Zelda has a focus on complicated puzzles, varied gadgetry, labyrinthine dungeons, and deliberate combat. The new God of War doesn't really seem to match that.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Don't go in expecting as many interesting puzzles or items. Those are the focus of old school Zelda, while they are more side things in GoW.
This.
There's only a handful of items used to solve puzzles, and the overall puzzles are what you can expect from the first Zelda dungeon, or the first puzzles using an item.
I played the game a lot this weekend, and except one or two times, I never felt the "oh smart" feeling that Zelda dungeons use to have.
And don't expect either big dungeons with one overall mechanic that rules all the puzzles (like water levels etc...).

The game focus is on combat and story, with some exploration and some light puzzles here and there.
Zelda fans can like it? Sure, and Tomb Raider fans too, even Tetris fans. But the people who wanted more dungeons and traditional Zelda content in BotW will not find this content in GoW.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I would say more darksiders than zelda, game lacks a little in the puzzle wih multiple gadgets part.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I would say the game feels like a Darksiders game with better combat but worse puzzles and world traversing, for comparison's sake.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Will I be able to surpass my hate about this franchise and this character to enjoy a possible good game?

Dunno, maybe I'll try when my cousin buy it, but, being honest with the Zelda fan and the mythologist inside me, I don't see myself playing a game like this one.

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
Seen lots of praise for the change of gameplay/feel compared to previous titles. From what I watched on Twitch, looks a lot like the camera angle is different and the enemy waves were lessened.

If that makes it more like Zelda, then yeah, I guess it should be more akin to that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will I be able to surpass my hate about this franchise and this character to enjoy a possible good game?

Dunno, maybe I'll try when my cousin buy it, but, being honest with the Zelda fan and the mythologist inside me, I don't see myself playing a game like this one.
The reasons you hated GoW for are not only not in this new game, but actively countered.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does it have a focus on gadgets that interact with the world, puzzles, and enemies in unique ways? Growth wrt things other than combat that evolve the way the game plays and what is possible over time?

I like interconnected worlds with tight level design and a linear path that you discover through exploration (ignoring sequence breaking), but I also want that Zelda/Metroid gameplay and so many games focus on purely combat or story oriented progression instead.
Yes although Kratos doesn't carry a bottomless bag of gadgets

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
wonder to how many other things will GOW be compared to in the following month or so

well we had the exact same thing about botw one year ago..people like gushing about what they like

We always have an influx of threads like these when a good game comes out. Then a few months later we get threads like "Am I the only one who didn't like 'insert popular game here'"

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seen lots of praise for the change of gameplay/feel compared to previous titles. From what I watched on Twitch, looks a lot like the camera angle is different and the enemy waves were lessened.

If that makes it more like Zelda, then yeah, I guess it should be more akin to that.
OP is talking more about level design / world

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I expect at least two more Zelda comparison threads and one "what Souls can learn from God of War."

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Interesting

Character action games are one of my least favorite genres. The addition of more adventure elements definitely makes it more appealing.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Difficult to separate the hype from reality here, but I went ahead and purchased.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I feel the Darksiders comparison is more accurate. Feels llike a very polished Darksiders 1 with a different (and better) battle system, even if both mainly resonates around one weapon. Also it's Metroidvania in 3D.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I have been saying here for days that GoW feels like a mature, traditional 3D Zelda, with great combat and a good story on top of everything. Resetera told me I'm wrong. Nope, it definitely feels like Zelda!
That was also fully Corey Barlog's intention:

"The new God of War will offer something very different from the earlier games, and in some ways, it's taking inspiration from classic Zelda.

Game director Cory Barlog described the game to GamesRadar+ as being in the spirit of classic adventure games. He gave the example of spotting a crack in the wall in the Legend of Zelda and realising that if you demolish that wall, you'll get access to a hidden area you never knew existed.

This is the type of experience Barlog hopes God of War will provide for those looking explore its world. Expect hidden areas right in plain sight and secrets off the beaten path. According to the site, these won't be mandatory, but they may flesh out the game's world or otherwise offer something worth seeing."
https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/15/god-of-war-has-a-zelda-inspired-approach-to-exploration/

Last edited:

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, this one is more action-adventure/action-RPG lite than character action

I'm genuinely curious about how good the level design is and what innovations are actually implemented.

While I like adventure games, I enjoyed botw because it departed from an honestly tired and derivative formula.

If it's on par of something like The Wind Waker or twilight princess.. It won't particularly excite me more than the solid batman arkham games do. It may be a departure from god of war, but what does it bring to the table to a formula that's already been thoroughly explored for two decades?

Red Alert

Banned
Mar 25, 2018
I'm genuinely curious about how good the level design is and what innovations are actually implemented.

While I like adventure games, I enjoyed botw because it departed from an honestly tired and derivative formula.

If it's on par of something like The Wind Waker or twilight princess.. It won't particularly excite me more than the solid batman arkham games do. It may be a departure from god of war, but what does it bring to the table to a formula that's already been thoroughly explored for two decades?

Puzzles are pretty solid. And there's tons of them. Sometimes even feels like adventure game only if you go deep with them

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Okay, so the level design isn't as good as Ocarina of Time in terms of dungeons. In terms of the hub, it's far better. On the whole, I'd say that it strikes a more consistent compromise between Ocarina's excellent dungeons and sparse hub. God of War doesn't outright ape Ocarina of Time or any Metroidvania game, it kind of puts its own spin on it (and it's still a narrative driven game). Things that stand out far more in God of War include the combat, which is far better than it has been in any Zelda game; there is a gear driven action RPG system that is a pretty neat twist and hook to keep engaging with the world. The bosses veer more towards Souls style than Zelda style, though they retain some Zelda elements (and no God of War elements).
I suppose what it brings to the table is a more narrative and combat driven twist on the OoT formula, as well as, again, superb execution. Oh, and the world and environment design is also gorgeous.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
All these threads about how the new gow is like _____.

What about fans of gow? What are they suppose to do? Lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Okay, so the level design isn't as good as Ocarina of Time in terms of dungeons. In terms of the hub, it's far better. On the whole, I'd say that it strikes a more consistent compromise between Ocarina's excellent dungeons and sparse hub. God of War doesn't outright ape Ocarina of Time or any Metroidvania game, it kind of puts its own spin on it (and it's still a narrative driven game). Things that stand out far more in God of War include the combat, which is far better than it has been in any Zelda game; there is a gear driven action RPG system that is a pretty neat twist and hook to keep engaging with the world. The bosses veer more towards Souls style than Zelda style, though they retain some Zelda elements (and no God of War elements).
I suppose what it brings to the table is a more narrative and combat driven twist on the OoT formula, as well as, again, superb execution. Oh, and the world and environment design is also gorgeous.

Yeah, so that's consistent with what we see from Sony studios. Excellent execution, narrative focus, top notch production, even if not focused on formula innovation per say.

The addition of some adventure elements and rpg elements does definitely make it more appealing to me. I've always enjoyed the lore of god of war even if the characters action gameplay is not super appealing to me.