Do you secretly root against your team so you can watch overtime?

• Give me the regulation win!

Votes: 184 86.0%
  • I want the overtime!

Votes: 35 16.4%

• Total voters

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do you secretly root against your team if they are winning in regulation to force the sudden death overtime?

Am I the only one?

Hockey is just better in overtime!

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Wtf watching your team in overtime is like watching a loved one trying to defuse a bomb. Why would I ever root for that over the outright win in regulation?

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Give me the regulation win, especially for hockey. Playoff OT hockey is fun as hell if you don't have a rooting interest but if you do have a rooting interest it's like torture because it's so stressful.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Tennis used to have a conceivably endless overtime mechanic that was ruined by one of the least interesting players to ever pick up a racket (John Isner) in these two matches:

edition.cnn.com

Wimbledon: Kevin Anderson outslugs John Isner in six-hour match to reach final | CNN

Kevin Anderson outslugged John Isner in a record match lasting over six hours in Wimbledon's battle of the giants to reach his first men's final at the All England Club, where he will face either Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic.

Now all four grand slams have a set tiebreak cap.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I only watch hockey.

Overtime is fun, but I kind of never want it because it can be stressful, but also because it is one step closer to a shootout, which is the worst thing.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid I would secretly hope the other team tied the game so that we could watch overtime and stay longer.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer soccer style:
No OT in regular season, eat your draw.
OT only in tournaments/post season elimination. No sudden death goal.
I do hate soccer shootouts and would prefer that a second OT goes that goes to sudden death.

Hockey OT is pretty good though, I'm one of those wierdos that does like the reduced player counts.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Overtime kinda sucks on football (soccer). The players are gassed and not willing to risk leaking a goal, so it leads to just a waste of time very often. You would often have players that just couldn't fucking play anymore due to cramps or injury and had to limp their way through for up to 30 minutes.
Having said that, with the 5 substitutions, it's a bit better now.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I like overtime if it gives my team a chance of a win. If they lead, no thank you. Too stressful.

Jan 4, 2021
Have centers in the nba shoot 10 free throws instead of overtime watch Steph curry play center. They must play the position at least 25 min

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the NFL overtime means more wear and tear on players and more likelihood someone will get hurt. No thanks. I'll take a regulation win every time.

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
Would prefer to win in regulation especially if it's a late game I start losing steam at 10pm

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Hockey isn't just better in overtime most sports are. It automatically heightens each moment because it's typically sudden death or a short time until the end like basketball and football.

But no I'm never rooting for overtime unless my team is trailing and getting it to overtime is the only chance they have to win. Regulation win all day long.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
CFB is the best! Regulation win preferred but if you're going to go to OT, CFB has got you covered for excitement.
Both teams start from the 25, get a TD or FG for your chance if you can. After two OTs it becomes just one-and-done 2 point conversion attempts from the 3 yard line.
Best one of recent years was Illinois shocking #7 Penn St. in 9 OTs in 2021.

May 26, 2018
No, I'm... okay with a win during regular playing time. A single score ending the game is almost life-threatening lol

The release is incredible but you never wish to be in the situation

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
OP, those overtimes you willed into existence gave the opponents extra points and now your favorite team missed the playoffs.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I either want my team blown out or I want them to blow the other team out.

Close games and overtimes stress me out.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
You are not a very big fan if you cheer for your team to go to overtime lol.

One of the most stressful events you can go through.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
op is a sicko lmao

NBA, NFL, idc give me that regulation win so my heart rate isn't jumping

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Give me the regulation win, especially for hockey. Playoff OT hockey is fun as hell if you don't have a rooting interest but if you do have a rooting interest it's like torture because it's so stressful.

Multiple overtimes mean you've had near-heart attack moments at least a few times. Every shot can be a goal and make your goalie look like a peewee.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
overtime is only enjoyable if a team I follow is not involved. unless it's like regular season MLB or NBA in which case just end it in a tie lol

Deleted member 10780

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2022
I hate overtime and wish we would just do draws like other sports do

Overtime should only be for playoffs. American sports leagues are all long already, MLB is 162 games, NBA 82, isn't the NFL 18 weeks now? (Stopped watching years ago)

Whenever I see an NBA game in overtime during the regular season everyone is just gassed and it looks shit

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I only watch hockey.

Overtime is fun, but I kind of never want it because it can be stressful, but also because it is one step closer to a shootout, which is the worst thing.

Plus, in hockey, if your opponent ties the game in regulation, they still earn a point in the standings, which you don't want if it's a division opponent. Winning in regulation robs them of that point.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
I find it torturous but it's obviously immensely satisfying if you do win. My team in the playoffs last season before we got promoted scored a bunch of very late winners(the one against Wrexham was the highlight). Wouldn't want to go through it again though.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I want the win, no matter when and how it comes.

In baseball, at least extra innings is interesting because of how baseball works (the game ends when it ends, no matter how long/how many innings it takes).

Oct 27, 2017
It's occasionally enjoyable to watch, depending on the team

Overall I prefer my hockey games short and sweet. I don't want to spend all day watching one game

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
If it's teams I don't care about, give me overtime for extra sports viewing. I was at the mariners playoff game that went 18 innings and it was fun, but I was so stressed out the whole time. I'd rather they had just lost in 9 innings.