• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I find Recluce to be a fascinating series. It somehow manages to be a gripping read, and then when you look back at a particular book, you realize almost nothing happened during the whole thing. But the magic system is quite interesting, and the interactions across the world due to the varying philosophies also adds depth. It can drag a bit by having so few characters.
I actually read it as a break for my main reading, Book 6 of the Wheel of Time. So I think I can handle it if a book drags on a bit. And to be completely honest, I always prefer it when books take their time and bramble, instead of darting about and dealing with 20 things at a time.

Oct 26, 2017
I love Edding's Belgariad, Malorean, Elenium and Tamuli series, they're like comfort food reading for me. Going back to them as a more mature reader exposes the flaws, but the characters are still so charming and even after so many re-reads I still giggle at some of the more amusing bits.

Raymond E Feist's Magician, Silverthorn and Darkness at Sethanon are brilliant, but for the most part I feel he should have stopped there. That said, the book "Honoured Enemy" is a fantastic little side adventure set during the riftwar.

While we're on the subject, was anybody else into Fighting Fantasy gamebooks when they were younger? I've been on a nostalgia trip lately and miss a lot of these dearly.
_77075565_fighting-fantasy.jpg

I also did a thread a few weeks back on fantasy/sci-fi art and artists, feel free to swing by and post your favourite cover arts.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/post-you-favourite-fantasy-sci-fi-art-and-artists.13129/

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
While we're on the subject, was anybody else into Fighting Fantasy gamebooks when they were younger? I've been on a nostalgia trip lately and miss a lot of these dearly.

I absolutely loved Fighting Fantasy books. Not sure if I ever actually finished an adventure though.

Would be interesting to try them again, if I was able to find any

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for something cozy to read? Something that will bring me back to afternoons and evenings reading Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Lord of the Rings, The Wheel of Time, and Harry Potter, as a kid. I don't mean YA, just something a bit more whimsical and warm.

Oct 26, 2017
Any recommendations for something cozy to read? Something that will bring me back to afternoons and evenings reading Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Lord of the Rings, The Wheel of Time, and Harry Potter, as a kid. I don't mean YA, just something a bit more whimsical and warm.
Try David Eddings, Belgariad series.. Very "traditional" coming of age story with nicely written (if somewhat cookie cutter) characters. Kind of like the novel equivalent of an old-school jrpg.

Very easy reading if you just want to relax, "cozy" is the perfect term for them.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Try David Eddings, Belgariad series.. Very "traditional" coming of age story with nicely written (if somewhat cookie cutter) characters. Kind of like the novel equivalent of an old-school jrpg.

Very easy reading if you just want to relax, "cozy" is the perfect term for them.

I actually just read it a couple months ago, but it would definitely be a good recommendation for what I am looking for! Anything similar you can think of?

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Wheel of Time is great if you want to dedicate to something for a few months. There's a prequel, go with publication order. A nice short story as well that I would read before the last book.

Oct 26, 2017
I actually just read it a couple months ago, but it would definitely be a good recommendation for what I am looking for! Anything similar you can think of?
He did a follow up series called the Mallorean that's a direct continuation, there were also stand alone books about Belgarath and Polgara detailing their lives in the thousands of years running up to the events in the mainline series.

His next books, The Elenium and Tamuli series had an overall grimmer feel in terms of the world, but still had the same overall flair for character writing. The main Character called Sparhawk is particularly well written as a somewhat crotchety and abrasive, but really likeable character.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm in the minority, but I found Prince of Nothing to be absolutely insufferable. Some of the most pretentious dreck I've ever read, and the canon misogyny is just gross.
Alone? No. This is how most people react. The books are not at all popular.

Bakker's "problem" is that you really need to be invested in the deeper plot and/or philosophy. The surface level story kind of falls off after a certain point (though I'd argue it's only the last two books). Many people check out due to the nihilism/misogyny/grimdark. It's a lot darker than anything else recent I can think of and it keeps getting worse. Muuuuch worse.

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely loved Fighting Fantasy books. Not sure if I ever actually finished an adventure though.

Would be interesting to try them again, if I was able to find any
ownership of the series has changed hands a few times and a few of them have been republished in different orders as well, but I'd suggest just seeking out second hand copies. They were really easily obtainable second hand in the UK, not sure about elsewhere though.

The original prints also have far better cover art imo.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept series is a light series that I like to revisit fairly regularly. It's about two parallel worlds, one being fantasy based and one being sci fi based. The main character, who originates from the science world, is one of the few people (though not the only one) that can move back and forth between the worlds because his duplicate is killed and it kind of explores both of the worlds as he learns his way around the fantasy world. Don't expect something hugely meaningful but it's a fun world and just generally a pleasant read. The magic system is particularly interesting as the adepts each have their own specialization ranging from the main character's fairly mundane use of music magic to an adept who's power is that he controls a single line that he uses to construct everything that he uses. It may be a little more hard to find but I think it's worth it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apprentice_Adept

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Wheel of Time is great if you want to dedicate to something for a few months. There's a prequel, go with publication order. A nice short story as well that I would read before the last book.

I love WoT and have re-read it at least three times.

He did a follow up series called the Mallorean that's a direct continuation, there were also stand alone books about Belgarath and Polgara detailing their lives in the thousands of years running up to the events in the mainline series.

His next books, The Elenium and Tamuli series had an overall grimmer feel in terms of the world, but still had the same overall flair for character writing. The main Character called Sparhawk is particularly well written as a somewhat crotchety and abrasive, but really likeable character.

I did read the Mallorean, but I haven't checked out those other series.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
My favourite of all time is Stephen Donaldsons White gold wielder series, he recently finished the series too. Excellent writing imho, lovely fantasy world:

maxresdefault.jpg

My man!!!!! I came here to post:

the-illearth-war.jpg

I recently was able to purchase a copy of the 80s edition of the 1st trilogy in MINT condition in the box sleeve on amazon.

817177.jpg

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I love WoT and have re-read it at least three times.

I did read the Mallorean, but I haven't checked out those other series.
A lot of people hate Wheel of Time but I am with you and I have read it a few times as well.

If you are not sold by the end of book one it is not for you.

OP
OP
MopDog

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
Some guy on Reddit ran the Kingkiller and Gentlemen Bastards books through a predictive text AI with incredible results:

It was night again. The city of Camorr lay in shadow, and a faint silver light spilled out from the university.
Locke Lamora stepped out of the archives, hunting Denna.
He nodded to Jean and gave a strangled squawk.
Locke could hear the screaming of the Lethani coming from the crowd in the Fishery, and thought it was a young, red-haired musician.
"We should probably forego the drink," said Jean, "But hell, there's certainly enough money in the Fishery to steal."
Locke Lamora fell backward, writhing in pain.

——

Inside the university, Kvothe was going to be a priest.
"I am ashamed of what I have done," said Kvothe "I'll admit that I had a pair of hatchets and killed a bondsmage."
Calo nodded vigorously.
Galdo did not exercise his face.

"From now on, this particular assassin is not a loyal garrista."
Everyone in the Fishery applauded enthusiastically.
Suddenly, the door slammed shut behind him, and Ambrose was responsible for burning down the library with a grin.
"This isn't funny," said Chains. "Who the fuck are you?"
"I am not crass," said Ambrose, taking a crossbow bolt from the ceiling thoughtfully.
The room was dancing with butterflies, and Kvothe was not entirely convinced.
"You are a miserly baroque lunatic," he said quietly.
"That is a knife in my chest," said Ambrose.
Locke Lamora and Jean Tannen crashed through the window and slammed into the crowd, who cheered.
"What the fuck is that? You are dismissed," said Locke.
"With thanks, the Gentlemen Bastards," said Jean.
"He doesn't know what that means you fucking pissant warlord," Locke said.
"And lick your ass," said Galdo.
"When will you be apologizing?" asked Ambrose. "I will never wrestle peace without thinking about Stragos and the little girl in my cabin."
"Fuck, you don't want to know about this story," said Galdo.
"Ridiculous rumors and mutterings," said Calo.
"If you were my patron and knew what opportunities might present themselves, would you like to sneak a peek of my fist, cocksucker?" Locke whispered.
"Jean's private humiliation is that he is never satisfied with his hands and feet."
The crowd was drowned in horse piss.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

Those were my favorites as a kid (except for HP b/c I'm old). The only "cozy" series I would add is Raymond Feist's Magician (Riftwar) series and maybe the Shannara books.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people hate Wheel of Time but I am with you and I have read it a few times as well.

If you are not sold by the end of book one it is not for you.
The first few books of WOT are not the problem. It's the thousands of pages of wooly-headed, braid tugging, breast heaving inanity that follows in lieu of actual plot development for a good stretch of the later books.

http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=49148

The ultimate WOT discussion thread.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown

The first author that came to mind was Charles de Lint and the novel Someplace To Be Flying.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
As a general recommendation for the thread: The Eagle and the Raven by Pauline Gedge

296590.jpg

As the book's emblematic title suggests, it's a historical fiction primarily set in ancient Britain during the Roman invasions. The reason I'm suggesting it here is there is an undercurrent of fantasy in the way mythology is treated. There are elements of Arthurian, Mithraic and ancient pagan belief woven lightly into the story. The majority of the novel deals with Caradoc with the finale culminating around Boudicca.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost done with 'Oathbringer'. Using Audible and these three books have easily turned me into a Brandon Sanderson fan. Cant wait to give his other books a try.
These books are so good that I can already tell that he is among the very best and I have literally never read an book. Not even a quarter of one in my life.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what his best work is?

Nov 3, 2017
Most recently, I read all four books of Sebastian de Castell's 'Greatcoats' series, and found them to be excellent, fast-paced evocative of The Three Musketeers with a touch of magic. I really can't recommend them enough if you're looking for a newish fantasy author that can write decent fight scenes and dialogue, there's some lovely character progression before book four rounds off the arc for now. Start with Traitor's Blade.
8LwsMy.jpeg

Anyone else read this? Sounds super interesting.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
The Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone

To quote the author,
The God Wars ended, and we're living with the world they left.

I write the Craft Sequence series of books and games, set in a postindustrial (and post-war) fantasyland, where black magic is big business, wizards wear pinstriped suits and conduct necromantic procedures on dead gods, and day-to-day commerce rests on people trading pieces of their souls for goods and services. The Craft Sequence books are legal thrillers about faith, or religious thrillers about law and finance. Plus there are hive-mind police forces, poet gargoyles, brainwashing golems, nightmare telegraphs, surprisingly pleasant demons, worldshattering magic, environmental devastation, and that deepest and darkest evil: student loans.
Magic in this world basically operates on contract law, a magical duel more takes the form of a tort law ruling where a bad argument will kill you then your standard fireball off.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm almost done with 'Oathbringer'. Using Audible and these three books have easily turned me into a Brandon Sanderson fan. Cant wait to give his other books a try.
These books are so good that I can already tell that he is among the very best and I have literally never read an book. Not even a quarter of one in my life.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what his best work is?

I've been reading a lot of his stuff lately (currently on Words of Radiance), and honestly, I'd say Stormlight is his best work... so yeah. Not sure what to say there.

Mistborn is good, but I think it will pale in comparison

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Just started Assassin's Apprentice and I'm enjoying it so far (50 pages in). Haven't read a non-Sanderson fantasy book in a long time, so it's kinda refreshing lol

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Have you read the Moontide Quartet from David Hair? I really enjoyed the series, I felt that it had a unique perspective on world building with lots of "similar" locals to real world locations that are unrepresented in most fantasy series. The first book is Mage's Blood.

Its got the standard European-like empire bent of crusading, but it has other locations that more similarly remind me of India, the middle east, the African Mediterranean coast. And the Magic system was fun. Couple that in with some characters that really grew on me and I really REALLY enjoyed the series.

The author has started a sequel series (the Sunsurge Quartet) which is one book in. It is definitely a sequel series though, as events occurring at the end of the first series (as told by completely new and different characters) is the prologue of the new series.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention Daniel Abraham in this thread, a d that's a real shame. I've enjoyed everything of his that I read, but the Long Price of War quartet in particular was excellent. Can't think of any fantasy series with as much emotional impact for me. Also features one of the most fucked up scenes I've ever read!

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention Daniel Abraham in this thread, a d that's a real shame. I've enjoyed everything of his that I read, but the Long Price of War quartet in particular was excellent. Can't think of any fantasy series with as much emotional impact for me. Also features one of the most fucked up scenes I've ever read!

Big Abraham fan. I actually really like the Dagger and Coin series better than Long Price quartet. He's also half of the creative duo behind the Expanse (as James SA Corey) and used to work with GRRM. If you like the First Law series, then try Dagger and Coin. The character development is great and it incorporates the economics of war, which is usually overlooked.

It really is a fantastic time to be a fantasy fan with all these great writers at the top of their game now.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I enjoyed the Dagger and the Coin quite a bit too. Haven't tried the Expanse yet, but now I want to

Jemile

Oct 27, 2017

I also did a thread a few weeks back on fantasy/sci-fi art and artists, feel free to swing by and post your favourite cover arts.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/post-you-favourite-fantasy-sci-fi-art-and-artists.13129/

Oh yes, I am currently working through these at the moment. I got rid of mine when I was younger and now I regret it, having a lot of nostalgia for the past at the moment with Fighting Fantasy books and Heroquest, great times.

I have managed to build up my collection buying the re-released versions, currently on Crypt of the Sorcerer. Started with this box set I managed to find new:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1840465484/?tag=e100-21

Brerlappin

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Edding's Belgariad, Malorean, Elenium and Tamuli series, they're like comfort food reading for me. Going back to them as a more mature reader exposes the flaws, but the characters are still so charming and even after so many re-reads I still giggle at some of the more amusing bits.

Raymond E Feist's Magician, Silverthorn and Darkness at Sethanon are brilliant, but for the most part I feel he should have stopped there. That said, the book "Honoured Enemy" is a fantastic little side adventure set during the riftwar.

Fighting Fantasy was my JAM as a kid. Deathtrap Dungeon in particular was my favorite. Loved the artwork in that book too. They really were a precursor to video games for me. You can get Forest of Doom on Steam now, and a few others on mobile.
If you haven't played it is recommended Hand of Fate. It's like a real time CYOA novel.

For fantasy books i can't recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora enough (and its sequels). Also love The Black Company novels too.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England

I actually have a near-complete set boxed up somewhere - I think I was only missing a couple of volumes post-50?

On topic, I've recently finished Nevernight.
9780008179984.jpg

It's very much a post-D&D, post-Pratchett fantasy novel full of self-aware snark (it even copies Pratchett's footnotes) and essentially set in Hogwarts-for-assassins by way of the first Kingsman film.
Despite the obvious roots, it's straight-up entertaining enough that I'd still very much recommend it if you like Abercrombie et al.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I just read the 'A Man of His Word' series by Dave Duncan, a series from the early 90s. It was quite good in some ways, but what was most disappointing is that Duncan couldn't write a female character to save his life and one of the two main point of views was a young woman. Also the names are bad (main characters are Rap and Inos). Oh well, it was a quick read and had a cool magic system.

Duncan wrote a sequel series "A handful of men". All I remember of it is the final twist, but I thought that final twist was so good I couldn't help but say you should find them. First book is the cutting edge.

And since I posted a second time in the thread I'm just going to hype up David Hair's Moontide Quartet again. It's a fantastic series.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
What's the name of that book series (?) where this guy travels to different dimensions and he has brothers and sisters based on a deck of cards? I think? And he has to fight them or something.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I actually have a near-complete set boxed up somewhere - I think I was only missing a couple of volumes post-50?

On topic, I've recently finished Nevernight.
9780008179984.jpg

It's very much a post-D&D, post-Pratchett fantasy novel full of self-aware snark (it even copies Pratchett's footnotes) and essentially set in Hogwarts-for-assassins by way of the first Kingsman film.
Despite the obvious roots, it's straight-up entertaining enough that I'd still very much recommend it if you like Abercrombie et al.

Sounds interesting. Added to my massive Goodreads backlog!

Oct 26, 2017
Fighting Fantasy was my JAM as a kid. Deathtrap Dungeon in particular was my favorite. Loved the artwork in that book too. They really were a precursor to video games for me. You can get Forest of Doom on Steam now, and a few others on mobile.
If you haven't played it is recommended Hand of Fate. It's like a real time CYOA novel.
For a lot of people, Deathtrap Dungeon really nailed what the series was about with it's setting. And yeah, in an era where we not only didn't have much money, but graphics weren't quite selling the fantasy setting for me, the FF books were my rpg's. Along with Heroquest of course.

The later ones are fairly rare and fetch decent prices as they were printed in smaller quantities due to waning popularity.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My man!!!!! I came here to post:

the-illearth-war.jpg

I recently was able to purchase a copy of the 80s edition of the 1st trilogy in MINT condition in the box sleeve on amazon.

817177.jpg
Yup, I admit that to me as well it doesn't get much better than the first and second trilogies of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson.

Cronicles_of_Thomas_Covenant_the_Unbeliever1.jpg

Second+Chronicles.jpg

(The third trilogy got so complex and wordy I kinda got lost, I need to get back into it)

But I also love his Mordant's Need series
s-l225.jpg

And if you are in a Hard Sci Fi/ Space Opera mood his gap series hits pretty hard

51RFYbxW1%2BL._SL250_FMpng_.jpg

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
And if you are in a Hard Sci Fi/ Space Opera mood his gap series hits pretty hard
His gap cycle is so good. Though that first book is practically trigger warning the novel.

I also liked his first two chronicles far more than the final chronicles. I actually couldn't finish it. Those first two and his hard sci-fi are rock solid though.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I loved those! My favourite in that style were Sorcery! and Lonewolf, though.

But Fighting Fantasy had some really fun and memorable ones too. My favourite was probably City of Thieves. I also liked Island of the Lizard King, The Forest of Doom, Scorpion Swamp (charting the map was surprisingly fun), Talisman of Death...

I read/played all of those in French, too. Lately I've obtained the e-book versions of Lonewolf for mobile (they're all free) and went on a big nostalgia trip. Note, this isn't the mobile/PC video game, but a direct adaptation of the original books for touch screen format. Almost everything is 100% faithful, with only minor tweaks for the format (like all the "diceroll"/random checks being automatic and so on). Pretty cool.

Alone? No. This is how most people react. The books are not at all popular.

Bakker's "problem" is that you really need to be invested in the deeper plot and/or philosophy. The surface level story kind of falls off after a certain point (though I'd argue it's only the last two books). Many people check out due to the nihilism/misogyny/grimdark. It's a lot darker than anything else recent I can think of and it keeps getting worse. Muuuuch worse.
Well, I find the so-called philosophy of the books to be trite and pretentious, and I actually tend to prefer grimdark/nihilistic worlds and stories, but this one was just not remotely enjoyable. And honestly, deciding to build a world where women are canonically inferior just really makes you wonder what goes on in the author's head...