• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
So what are the theories concerning Clutch's death?

Stunt gone wrong is too obvious to be true. I'm sure he is at the root of eveything the Father is trying to do.
I think Clutch faked his death and he's the one talking to you over the radio during the missions..Have they ever said who the voice is on the other line.

Exactly.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Since when has a Far Cry story had anything meaningful to say about anything?

Since Far Cry 2?

Again, I did not play 2 so I'm going off LPs and wiki, but 2 told a pretty nihilistic story about the horrors of war. 3 tried to deconstruct the white savior narrative. 4 put you in the middle of a literal civil war and had you find out that the dictator may have been right all along, especially compared to the two chucklefucks that led the Golden Path.

You play it for the action, the goofy characters, the explosions, the open world exploration, and the villainry.

That's the thing (and this is a point I made earlier ITT). Ubisoft has tried to make this series mean something, but then when they fail, they pull out the Blood Dragons and the Yetis and say "it's about fun!!!!!"

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of worries about the overall progression. Finished off one of the lieutenants without really trying to 100% the zone and I've already gotten most of the worthwhile perks. Two more zones equal in size left.

Sign.... why can't any of these games ever offer a mode were skill gains are like cut in half?

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
I think Clutch faked his death and he's the one talking to you over the radio during the missions..Have they ever said who the voice is on the other line.

Exactly.
Well, that would be the guy in the bunker.

But who's to say that could not be Clutch in a post-stunt life...

His son did point out he was reckless for having shown his grandson gun handling. And reckless is precisely what a stuntsman his, even if he's trying not to show it.

Rest my case.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Again that seems more like personal opinion, than objective assessment.
I could go on and on. But these are all from various reviews on Metacritic. Even for example IGN who liked the villains less than Vaas and Pagan Min, didn't say they were an issue. Just that he (Daemon Hatfield) liked them less.

You know what. You're right. That was a bit harsh of me, and I'm projecting my personal opinions onto the wider ones. I apologize, and will edit my earlier posts accordingly.

I think saying the story is divisive is fair though.

Last edited:

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of worries about the overall progression. Finished off one of the lieutenants without really trying to 100% the zone and I've already gotten most of the worthwhile perks. Two more zones equal in size left.

Sign.... why can't any of these games ever offer a mode were skill gains are like cut in half?
That's my current problem as well. I basically beat the story with the bare minimum of things unlocked and completed, and there's no real incentive to keep doing any of that side content. They missed out on having any way to upgrade your proficiency in vehicles. There could be like 2-3 additional skill trees in the game, one based on piloting vehicles, and another based on land-based vehicles. Hell, maybe add another based on boats. And the fact that there's no progression with the guns for hire is annoying as well. Literally an entire skill tree dedicated solely to reducing the respawn time for each of your guns for hire. That's dumb as hell.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Well, that would be the guy in the bunker.

But who's to say that could not be Clutch in a post-stunt life...

His son did point out he was reckless for having shown his grandson gun handling. And reckless is precisely what a stuntsman his, even if he's trying not to show it.

Rest my case.
Wait, Dutch is Clutch now we're getting even deeper.

I meant the guy who is doing the voiceover at the memorials where you take on his stunt recreations but now we're getting spicy.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's my current problem as well. I basically beat the story with the bare minimum of things unlocked and completed, and there's no real incentive to keep doing any of that side content. They missed out on having any way to upgrade your proficiency in vehicles. There could be like 2-3 additional skill trees in the game, one based on piloting vehicles, and another based on land-based vehicles. Hell, maybe add another based on boats. And the fact that there's no progression with the guns for hire is annoying as well. Literally an entire skill tree dedicated solely to reducing the respawn time for each of your guns for hire. That's dumb as hell.

Agreed. I mean the guns for hire kinda come OP right out of the gate. I would have preferred having to unlock their abilities, rather than immediately get their supremely powerful forms from the start.

You know what. You're right. That was a bit harsh of me, and I'm projecting my personal opinions onto the wider ones. I apologize, and will edit my earlier posts accordingly.

I still think the Seeds are awful, but fair enough to those of y'all who do like them.

Hakuna Matata, as they say.

GravyButt

Oct 28, 2017
Are the ak and acr ammo the same in game? Keep hearing things saying people cant find/get ak ammo even when refilling ammo at stores. Don't know if its a bug or not?

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Do you get locked out of any side missions at any point? I've almost filled the resistance meter for John's area, but still have a ton of optional content available there that I'd still like to do.

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, Dutch is Clutch now we're getting even deeper.

I meant the guy who is doing the voiceover at the memorials where you take on his stunt recreations but now we're getting spicy.
Ah! Sorry for being slow. I'm in a fuss cuz of that coot!

Let's settle for a wait and see approach. First to gather clues get back here to share.

I might also resolve to nagging someone I know since this person is related to the game.

Down the rabbit hole we go!

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Without spoilers if I've only done the john region but want Jess as a companion is it possible to get her super soon in Jacobs region the bounce out and focus and faiths region?

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Look Faith, I like you. You rock that dress. You enjoy murder almost as much as I do.

But when I'm fishing maybe it's not the best time to show up dancing and creepy singing behind me.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
The bunker section is atrocious and took me a solid 10-15 times to complete. Checkpointing is terrible and sticking heavies in a tight bunker corridor was a headscratching decision.

You're right. My earlier assessment of everyone disliking the story was incorrect.

Personally, as someone who came to the series with 3 because of how compelling Vaas was in that E3 trailer and loved Pagan (limited screen time notwithstanding) I'm incredibly disappointed by the Seed family.

Do note I'm not trying to bring the game down or anything. I love the series and see the potential, especially with how good Montana is. I just think it's a 7.5 that could have been a 9 with a a few tweaks.
Agreed on all counts. And thank you, I thought I was going crazy with how angry that bunker made me. Most of the checkpointing and level design for those missions had been fine up until that point.

Oct 30, 2017
So I ran into something weird on the pic version. I filled the resistance bar in Falls End so it triggered the mission to return to the town. When I got close to the town the mission just disappeared and the tracker slotted back into my last quest that was open, and nothing I do brings the story mission back so I can do it. 14 hours in am I screwed?

Edit: is it possible to lose resistance points? The bar filled up and the mission triggered, but the game is saying I'm 35 points short of filling the bar now. I didn't reload or fast travel.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was anyone else disappointed that there was no bad/secret path where you can just join Faith? When Dutch hyped her up as a master manipulator, and the entire region's theme being the Bliss, I was kind of hoping to see if she could really pull us in.

Hell, Jacob kind of upstaged Faith in the whole mindgame territory.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
After about 20 hours in I think I can safwly say this is my favourite Far Cry.

Really really enjoying it.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the same assault rifle since the beginning (I use the one from the deluxe pack I think?) with a reflex scope and a silencer... Is there a better assault rifle in the game? Would be nice to use other weapons...

I loved how in Far Cry 3 you had kinda shitty guns until you got to the second island and suddenly you had access to amazing stuff...

Speacking of shitty gun... Is it just me or is the grenade launcher really not that great this time around? I feel like it takes way too much ammo to kill people and/or pick up trucks.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the same assault rifle since the beginning (I use the one from the deluxe pack I think?) with a reflex scope and a silencer... Is there a better assault rifle in the game? Would be nice to use other weapons...

I loved how in Far Cry 3 you had kinda shitty guns until you got to the second island and suddenly you had access to amazing stuff...

Speacking of shitty gun... Is it just me or is the grenade launcher really not that great this time around? I feel like it takes way too much ammo to kill people and/or pick up trucks.
There's a grenade launcher?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, just finished, and despite how beautiful it was to look at and listen to, I can't help but shrug at it in the end. There was a whole lot of radio chatter to say nothing at all, then cutscenes to lean into that nothing with vague gestures towards human tragedy "because America" delivered via poorly set up monologues.

It would have been better if it leaned all the way into the stupid and the satire instead of trying to say anything seriously because they never really go for it in a way that works. Hopefully the DLC will chase after Blood Dragon and make the tone more consistent.

Also, I'm not sure if my game glitched out or whatever, but I never got Cheeseburger. And without a post-game I never will. That's a bummer.

Edit: Also, I
parachuted in right on top of the church at the end and then all of my allies were just there and blissed out. Did I miss something by not driving in, or does that always happen for no reason? If the former, why wasn't gathering everyone at the southern end of the island for a raid not the mission objective to set that up? If the latter, uh....what?

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
There's a grenade launcher?
Yeah there's a M79 grenade launcher... You can get one after progressing the story or you can buy the prestige one

nP4F7lS.jpg

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere

Yeah, once you get 4-5 levels of rep you can get some better rifles and snipers. I'd recommend the AKM and AS-50 for assault/sniping respectively.

GL seems fine to me, one shots trucks if I hit them.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, once you get 4-5 levels of rep you can get some better rifles and snipers. I'd recommend the AKM and AS-50 for assault/sniping respectively.

GL seems fine to me, one shots trucks if I hit them.
Yeah I use the 50 cal Sniper Rifle from the Gold pack (I think?) and that thing is ridiculous haha

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it and my initial thoughts are that it was a fun time, overall. I loved the setting, atmosphere, and music. The companions you got were all pretty damn good and useful throughout the game.However, there are some really glaring issues that kept this from being as great as it should have been:

-So many damn bugs! It got absolutely ridiculous at times. Missions broke really easy for me and I often found myself unable to complete them because the game failed to respawn a particular object or person. At one point I had about 3 missions on the docket I couldn't finish due them bugging out.

-There was too much chaos at times. I will echo people who complained about the enemy spawns. You can barely travel the roads without running into numerous enemy convoys or a huge firefight between whitetails and cult members. It was like you had a six-star wanted level(GTA) that never goes away.

-The scripted kidnappings were annoying and kinda poorly implemented. I had one happen, then afterwards I managed to complete one mission only to end up kidnapped yet again!

-I'm getting tired of bad acid trips/Nightmare sequences and zombie-like enemies in games. It's gotten stale. It felt like I was playing Dying Light at times in Faith's region.

Solid 7/10 for me. I think Origins was the better Ubisoft effort, certainly a bit more polished than this title. I don't think I've encountered this many severe bugs before in an open world game. Even my time with Skyrim wasn't this bad.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Faith's region a lot faster than the previous. I was kind of surprised at that. I don't think I'll bother looking for all the stuff that I can destroy like the silos. Maybe I'll try searching for the drug boats. At this point I'm pretty well equipped and did a ton of the challenges so far. Progressing a lot faster in terms of my character than I expected in just two regions. Third one seems like it will be pretty easy. Maybe because they don't power up the enemies part way through like other Far Cry games did.

So far the only GFH/FFH I don't really care about is Sharky.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Not since BOTW do I sit there not playing a game wishing I was playing a game.
So yeah, that says everything for me.

Side note. At my brother in laws house today in the mountains of New Jersey (yes, this is a real thing) for Easter lunch, and a pack of 4 deer just were strolling through the backyard. Virtual reality blended with reality and I thought about switching to my bow. I am 43 fucking years old and not kidding.

Side note 2. Walking Dead is on in the background and myself and my wife peruse the internet. As I was typing Side note 1 above, what commercial comes on the TV? Yep, Far Cry 5 Welcome To Hope County.

I truly love this game. I have been following this thread mainly as a lurker, and it sucks seeing some people having issues. Besides 1 or 2 weird physics related things and 1 or 2 just absolutely shit timing scenarios, the game has run perfectly for me.

It is damn near perfect EVEN with some not perfect decisions. My GOTY thus far, although it is early on and there has not been much competition to speak of. Stil, having a hell of a time, and I do sit there wishing I was playing when I am not. Again, that speaks volumes, especially since i have been in a bit of a funk lately and not really feeling much of anything.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I just use the rocket launcher. My weapon set is a sniper, a LMG (which is my main weapon as its so good) and the rocket launcher. I never ever threw a pipe bomb in this game.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, man, i love climbing with grappling hook. Just so damn cool somehow. And even better when there are places when you can/need to swing on the rope to move on.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it and my initial thoughts are that it was a fun time, overall. I loved the setting, atmosphere, and music. The companions you got were all pretty damn good and useful throughout the game.However, there are some really glaring issues that kept this from being as great as it should have been:

-So many damn bugs! It got absolutely ridiculous at times. Missions broke really easy for me and I often found myself unable to complete them because the game failed to respawn a particular object or person. At one point I had about 3 missions on the docket I couldn't finish due them bugging out.

-There was too much chaos at times. I will echo people who complained about the enemy spawns. You can barely travel the roads without running into numerous enemy convoys or a huge firefight between whitetails and cult members. It was like you had a six-star wanted level(GTA) that never goes away.

-The scripted kidnappings were annoying and kinda poorly implemented. I had one happen, then afterwards I managed to complete one mission only to end up kidnapped yet again!

-I'm getting tired of bad acid trips/Nightmare sequences and zombie-like enemies in games. It's gotten stale. It felt like I was playing Dying Light at times in Faith's region.

Solid 7/10 for me. I think Origins was the better Ubisoft effort, certainly a bit more polished than this title. I don't think I've encountered this many severe bugs before in an open world game. Even my time with Skyrim wasn't this bad.

my score was a 8.5 - felt like it got a bit long in the tooth near the end myself but its a very good game. I only really had 1 bug at the john seed final quest but it was very frustrating and I had to quit game about 7 times before I could beat him. As for the road/spawn complaint - I didnt think it was an issue tbh. It goes away very quickly once you have resistance up and also you have a lot of weapons near end game and its nothing a rocket launcher can't take care of. I relished the road combat.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Um, is there seriously no way to continue playing after beating this? I deliberately left a bunch of side stuff to do and got the main story out of the way and I see no way to go back to before the ending stuff happens... Clicking continue just plays the credits.

I am going to be fucking enraged if there is no way to continue playing.

Edit: Oh ok apparently this is bugged and can be fixed by rebooting or fast travelling. Thank christ.

Last edited:

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
For some reason I thought that was a shotgun. I'll have to try it out I guess.

My favorite gun in the game (in all FarCry games) is the M79.

FC5 is one of the best games this gen. Sitting up there with Bloodborne. It's a first person GTA, even with all the wackiness and crazy stuff in the missions. One of the missions had me in tears of laughter, lol. Drop in drop out co-op makes things even more fun. Also one of the best looking games to date. It looks amazing on the Pro, and can't even imagine it on X or PC.

Never have I ever wanted to finish EVERY damn mission in an open world game. 10/10.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This Flavor Country sidequest where you're supposed to get roadkill from deer is pissing me off. The deer are all in mountainous and heavily wooded area so when you manage to spot one from your low visibility truck, it either runs off a cliff, cuts between two trees, or dives into the water.

And when you DO manage to hit one, his ass gets up and runs away again! Especially if they are running away from you running over them does very little damage. I actually hit the same deer twice once and still didn't kill it.

I've spent 30 minutes on this and have 1 of 4 required roadkill. Anyone know a good place to get this without heavy forests or mountains? I'd just ignore this quest but it turned every deer hunting marker into a quest marker, so it's clutering up my map like crazy.

Oct 30, 2017
Ok so I finally got the game to re-trigger that mission I was stuck on. Big spoiler in the tag below about a late mission in a region that royally pissed me off:

The bunker level after the plane fight section can go straight to hell. That level was so so bad. How did anyone approve that level?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I was told here only the intro region missions are the ones that can be failed upon the boss' defeat.

However, once I finished Jacob's, it looks like I locked myself out of all Eli's missions because

Eli is dead

This game is so fucking dumb. It's been a while since I played a game so intent on getting in the way of its own enjoyment

Last edited:

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
This War on Drugs quest in Faiths region is awful. Took an hour of flying over rivers to find five boats. An hour searching for drug trucks in the air and land and only 2 trucks so far.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
This game feels like the perfect evolution of the series. I've been having so much fun in co-op. From raiding outposts while grappling off the bottom of a helicopter to just fishing on a quiet night. This game is what I wanted and more.

Started going through Jacob's region. I've basically gone through the other 2 regions twice (solo then co-op) and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, so much fun.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I kept dying in the cave during the Angel's Grove Prepper Stash for no reason so I looked up a guide. Apparently my game decided to not load in the boiling water that you have to avoid.
mlBnasl.jpg

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This War on Drugs quest in Faiths region is awful. Took an hour of flying over rivers to find five boats. An hour searching for drug trucks in the air and land and only 2 trucks so far.

Same. I'm at 3 boats and 2 trucks. I'm using a helicopter, but the boats and trucks seldom spawn.

Also, I'm sitting at 50/52 in John's Region. I think What They Carried (Side Mission) and Golden Age Nostalgia (Side Mission) are what's keeping me from 52/52.

This game has truly engulfed me. I think I have 25 hours in.

What is the mission in Faith's Region that you need to do before netting her and having it auto complete? If you know Jacob's, I'll take that too.