• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nintendoeverything.com

Fatal Frame producer hopes Maiden of Black Water re-release will lead to a new game

After being on hiatus for several years, Fatal Frame is finally back in the spotlight. Maiden of Black Water was the last entry in the series having first launched on Wii U in 2014. Koei Tecmo is now bringing back that game by re-releasing it on modern platforms, including Switch. Japanese...
After being on hiatus for several years, Fatal Frame is finally back in the spotlight. Maiden of Black Water was the last entry in the series having first launched on Wii U in 2014. Koei Tecmo is now bringing back that game by re-releasing it on modern platforms.

Japanese magazine Famitsu spoke with producer Keisuke Kikuchi this week and at one point, the two discussed the future of Fatal Frame. Kikuchi was asked if the series could start up again off the back of a good response Maiden of Black Water. He responded favorably, and indicated that the team hopes it'll lead to a new game.

Kikuchi's full words:
"That's what I'm hoping. We're releasing this game to commemorate the series' 20th anniversary, and we're hoping a lot of fans will take take the opportunity to play the game. We'd love this to lead to a new title."

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The recent trademark in Japan to me makes it feel like they're already planning one. But the success of this might determine budget/scale as it goes on.

I plan on picking it up Day One on Xbox.

So I can complain about it later when the new game never comes out for it lol.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps also do a collection of the other games. I played part 2 the most on Xbox.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
But this is potentially the worst game in the series. RIP
They should have made HD Remasters 1-4

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think Kikuchi is a producer at the Gust part of KT now? Wonder who they'd tap to actually make it.
The recent trademark in Japan to me makes it feel like they're already planning one. But the success of this might determine budget/scale as it goes on.

I plan on picking it up Day One on Xbox.

So I can complain about it later when the new game never comes out for it lol.
I mean, yeah, 99%. That's how it usually goes down at least.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
giphy.gif

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Hope so too! I don't think Black Water is the best in the series but I think FF's unique take on horror is due for a new title. Hope they go for it.

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for asking but "other platforms including the Switch" - what other platforms? PC too?

Also people saying it's bad, what is bad about it? I only played 3 which was ok.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
So do I, but I already bought the Collector's Edition for Wii U at launch and while I liked the game I am not paying again for a digital only re-release. I realise you could import a physical copy, but since this seems to be a barebones standard edition I do not see much incentive either.

Publishers need to learn not to judge the sales potential of a new entry by releasing ports of older games.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Ninja Gaiden JPN versions had English so I would imagine these do as well.

Checked what I read again (not sure where it was sourced from), that Japanese region copies will have Japanese/english audio, and simplified/traditional Chibese/Japanese subs. So english dubbed, but not english subbed, apparently.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Checked what I read again (not sure where it was sourced from), that Japanese region copies will have Japanese/english audio, and simplified/traditional Chibese/Japanese subs. So english dubbed, but not english subbed, apparently.

Ahh. Yeah, I always go with the Asian import if I'm unsure as it's definitely more clear-cut there.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'm 3 hours into the second game Crimson Butterfly (my first FF) and having a good time with so I hope there's a new game too! Or at least give us that Wii/Japan exclusive since that's supposed to be tied with 2 for best (at least that's my understanding).

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh. Yeah, I always go with the Asian import if I'm unsure as it's definitely more clear-cut there.

I'm not a fan of imports, but I've warmed up to Asian imports, with using english on the packaging and matching NA copies pretty closely (some without any ratings on it too). I already have my Switch Asian ver pre-ordered.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I'm in for a PS4 copy and I'm hoping the series has a future, even if it's just digital releases from here on out. Whatever it takes

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I'm game as long as it's not more Maiden of Black Water. Twice I tried to get into this game and fell off after 4-5 hours, and I loved the first three games.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I hope so too.

If nothing else I so want the wii games to be brought to the us via modern ports finally. Whole franchise obviously but the wii games are at least in the style of maiden vs the ps2 games

Won't happen but nice to dream

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Also people saying it's bad, what is bad about it? I only played 3 which was ok.

I wouldn't call it bad personally, just weaker than the previous three on most cases. Not quite as creepy, not quite as interesting, etc. I think most of the people who have big issues with it have issue with some early parts of the game that sexualizes minors (they were aged up for the western release), with this thing where they are being photographed in bikinis as they pretended to be corpses or some shit like that. I can't remember exactly

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I just hope it'll be a multiplatform release, if it happens, like the first three were. I'm a bit hesitant about buying the remaster, if the next entry will be exclusive again.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I just hope it'll be a multiplatform release, if it happens, like the first three were. I'm a bit hesitant about buying the remaster, if the next entry will be exclusive again.

The third game never came off the PS2 (outside the PS3 Classics re-release way later). The first two games were multiplat, but didn't come to GC and came to Xbox 1 year after the PS2 release

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This is like the least responsive way to "celebrate the 20th anniversary" possible. It's the weakest game in the series. Still good but compared to the other 4 entries that need porting/re-releasing? And it's digital only, so I'm not sure how this is really "testing the waters" for a new entry, unless that new potential entry is very low budget and digital only? Come on Tecmo.

I think Kikuchi is a producer at the Gust part of KT now? Wonder who they'd tap to actually make it.

Makoto Shibata is the Fatal Farme series director and he's still at Tecmo AFAIK. He last worked on Deception IV: Nightmare Princess as Director, Nights of Azure 2 and also worked on Nioh. They could still do it, just think the Fatal Frame team nowadays work on Team Ninja's games and do support to Gust's games.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for asking but "other platforms including the Switch" - what other platforms? PC too?

What would been creepy or scary in the game was handled poorly. Some encounters at the beginning of the game get spammed on the last stretch of the game and becomes tedious. The movement was terrible and then you have them putting Dead Or Alive Ayane on it to "spice" things up and ends up feeling like a forced thing to bring more people. Of course the sexualization of some characters was unnecessary to the plot and overall despite the visuals its the worst game on gameplay standpoint.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Really hoping this game gets the love and attention it deserves this go-around. I reviewed Maiden of Black Water back on Wii U and really liked it (though it doesn't quite live up to the first two games in the series). It's just very solid all around and damn is it scary if you play it at night/with the lights off/by yourself/with headphones/the usual. Some clunky movement controls aside, I can't overstate just how much I enjoyed this game.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
I'll pick up the Fatal Frame 5 port, and I would pick up a new game as well. Please make it happen, Tecmo.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Never really looked into this series before. Do people recommend playing some/all the previous Fatal Frame games?

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I wonder how many copies of this they'd need to sell in order to push ahead with a new game?

I think Ninja Gaiden remasters sold around 200K or so. I'm guessing Fatal Frame probably has around a third of the reach that Ninja Gaiden does, though maybe it'll get boosted by the Ryza costume DLC... lol

Neko_No_Naku

Jan 9, 2018
I'm doing my part. Simply because I didn't play it on the WiiU and the possibility of bringing the classic trilogy back.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buy this game, Xboxers. We need the next game also on Xbox Series!!!!
I am doing my part even I already had it on my Wii U.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If they wanna do a sequel, the smartest thing they could do is remaster 1-3 first. Especially 2.

I think the best idea would have been to remaster Deep Crimson Butterfly, the remake of 2 for Wii. That, at least plays like the other modern games and resembles whatever 6 would be, unlike the fixed camera angle games of the earlier releases in the series.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would give the remake treatment to 4. That game despite the bugs that KT refused to fix and some questionable design here and there, imo it still has some really cool ideas for its plot and ghost designs thanks in part to Suda's contribution, also it has a pretty good creepy atmosphere. Sucks that is relegated to a japanese-only release.