• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
While I don't think that's an apt analogy, is not watching music videos considered particularly odd...?

Personally, I prefer my live music raw. I wanna see the amps, the wires, the sweat etc. Light shows and stage dressing are pretty and all - I'm not against them - but, with few exceptions, I find it all rather superficial. Rather just see the band or whatever do their thing.

I do think that if you loved a band but refused to watch their visual work that would be odd, yeah. I agree with the first half (same reason I won't buy anything but GA and I won't be anywhere but next to the stage). But what some bands do visually is some amazing stuff, and you can't get that experience watching it on YouTube either. I say it's not worth dismissing.

If I had my choice I'd see Metallica play at the local bar. But their amazingly-produced stage show is pretty wild as well.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do think that if you loved a band but refused to watch their visual work that would be odd, yeah. I agree with the first half (same reason I won't buy anything but GA and I won't be anywhere but next to the stage). But what some bands do visually is some amazing stuff, and you can't get that experience watching it on YouTube either. I say it's not worth dismissing.

If I had my choice I'd see Metallica play at the local bar. But their amazingly-produced stage show is pretty wild as well.

I dunno. Music videos are primarily adverts for the song. Some are really good - Chris Cunningham, for example - but they're mostly shite. Kinda like glitzy stage shows. 😄

To be honest, I'm from a DIY music background with all the punk snobbery that comes with it. I just find it all a bit superfluous. Bjork does good ones, but even then, I'd prefer to just watch her and a guy on a laptop.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Jean-Michel Jarre have had some crazy stage setups during the years.

Skip to the 32 minute mark in this video, where he projects images on the buildings in Houston in 1986.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn after clicking this thread I've realized every concert I been to is visually boring in comparison. Some of these setups look crazy.

Goomy

Banned
Aug 31, 2019
Pink Floyd's 1994 Division Bell Tour springs to my mind. Probably Pink Floyd at their most indulgent, nevertheless one of my favourite live videos.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I dunno. Music videos are primarily adverts for the song. Some are really good - Chris Cunningham, for example - but they're mostly shite. Kinda like glitzy stage shows. 😄

To be honest, I'm from a DIY music background with all the punk snobbery that comes with it. I just find it all a bit superfluous. Bjork does good ones, but even then, I'd prefer to just watch her and a guy on a laptop.
DIY Punk fan here... Screamales videos are always fucking great.

But generally I agree at never really watching videos.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
PanicAtTheDisco_BrittanyThornton_11_slideshow.png

I loved Panic! At the Disco's Pray for the Wicked tour stage. The other side of the arena Brendon has his piano that flys back to the stage while he performs Dying in LA over the crowd.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
U2's 360 tour setup was of course amazing to see. I'm not even a fan, but it was an experience.

Muse's Resistance tour setup I saw twice, and could have happily gone a third time. The columns were very cool at the opening.

Ghost's sets are gorgeous - I'll be sure to see them next inside instead of an outdoor venue.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Avenged Sevenfold had a giant skull with bat wings above the stage that breathed fire when I went to see them 10-ish years ago. Coolest stage I've seen live.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of theatrics myself, gimme something like this any day over some huge over-the-top stage:

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I prefer a smaller, intimate setup personally for gigs but a cool light show is always nice. This 2013 Tame Impala gig was pretty neat as the projector was hooked up to Kev's guitar and at one point he turned away from the audience and just played around for a bit. It wasn't just that and you got some trippy colours too.

That said, this Prodigy setup at T in the Park 2008 was pretty memorable with those creepy looking light rigs that resembled red scowling eyes overseeing everything.