Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
What are some of your favorite fan made games off existing IPs?

Feel free to share with everybody of what's out there in the fan gaming communities.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I don't tend to play fan made games that often, but last year I learned about Banjo-Kazooie: The Jiggies of Time and just had to give it a shot. The developers basically turned the world and dungeons of Ocarina of Time into 3D platforming levels full of Notes, Jiggies, and transformations and you play through them all as Banjo & Kazooie, of course. Even has its own original soundtrack that they really freakin' nailed.

Fan of Banjo? Fan of OoT? It's a must play. Hands-down.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon Unbound is fantastic. Special props to Sonic Robo Blast 2 for having some of the catchiest level music I've ever heard (Techno Hill gets stuck in my head every time I hear it).

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta mention Hyper Dragon Ball Z. Fantastic fan game that includes some ridiculously well-made artwork and animations. Don't let its MUGEN roots dissuade you, it's a great game.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Art of Fighting: Trouble in Southtown even though it's hard as shit
Super Final Fight Gold Plus; Final Fight LNS Ultimate as a runner up
Streets of Rage X; Streets of Rage Remake a close second since it has cutscenes
AM2R
THUGPRO

Though it's been a long while since I actually dabbled in MUGEN, I recently played Street Fighter Alpha Zero and I thought it was a solid rendition.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Does Enderal count? Its basically a fangame of Skyrim I suppose.

Its insanely good.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
- Yume 2kki.
- Madotsuki's Closet.
- Mystia's Izakaya.
- MUGEN.
- It's a social experiment and not a fangame but Twitch Plays Pokemon is one of the GOATs.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Currently, it's Pokemon Infinite Fusion. Remember those Pokemon fusion generators? Think of that, but turned into a genuinely well-made, traditional Pokemon game. The community behind it is constantly putting out custom sprite art for all the possible fusions in the game. If you want to play it, search for the discord server. There's a website called pokemoninfinitefusion.net, but it's a fake; avoid it.

You have any fan games you'd like to share, Squarehard?

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Is Black Mesa a fan made game? I think it at a least started as one.
Goldeneye source is also a really cool one.
AM2R, of course.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Super Smash Bros. P+
Stepmania

Two of the greatest games ever made, no matter how much the company that made the original IP they're based off of wish they didn't exist.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Pokemon Reborn and Pokemon Rejuvenation are my favourite mons/creature collector games ever. Hell, they're really, really high up on my all time list of turn based RPGs full stop. There's just an incredible amount of content there, brilliant unique mechanics based around the environment you battle in, and a hefty level of challenge.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely loved Pokémon Infinite Fusion when I played it a few years ago. It's changed a fair bit since I last played it but I'm sure it's still awesome

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
If we're counting mods then Entropy: Zero 2 for Half Life 2.

So good that fans regard it as canon.
Link

Gonna plug Idol Showdown. Making a fighting game is tough enough, but one that's for free, has both online AND a robust single player? That's GOAT right there.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
The whole bunch of traditional roguelikes inspired by Tolkien's Middle-earth. Especially Angband has spawned a massive amount of variants thanks to being free and open source. My favorite is Sil-Q, as lore friendly and generally well crafted Silmarillion video game as we are probably ever going to get. I really like how it incorporates songs as a magic system.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There's one game that I always fond of, Exit Fate. An excellent Suikoden like fangame.

images

Does Enderal count? Its basically a fangame of Skyrim I suppose.

Its insanely good.
It surely does, and it's among my favorites too.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Currently, it's Pokemon Infinite Fusion. Remember those Pokemon fusion generators? Think of that, but turned into a genuinely well-made, traditional Pokemon game. The community behind it is constantly putting out custom sprite art for all the possible fusions in the game. If you want to play it, search for the discord server. There's a website called pokemoninfinitefusion.net, but it's a fake; avoid it.

Right, that's multiple recommendations for Infinite Fusion now (plus the people who rate it in the Pokemon ROM hacks thread) so I'm sold. It's going up onto my list to play. Thanks, everyone!

So, if that website is a fake, where do I download it from?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
There's one game that I always fond of, Exit Fate. An excellent Suikoden like fangame.

images

It surely does, and it's among my favorites too.

These are the two I came to mention. Exit Fate was a damn fine suikoden clone. Shame I don't think there will be a sequel.

Enderal stands shoulder to shoulder with other bethesda games and in some ways is even better.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Right, that's multiple recommendations for Infinite Fusion now (plus the people who rate it in the Pokemon ROM hacks thread) so I'm sold. It's going up onto my list to play. Thanks, everyone!

The site I linked is where I downloaded it. I replayed it with all the new features they added back in March, honestly it's the best Pokemon game ever made imo.
pokemoninfinitefusion.net

Pokemon Infinite Fusion 6.1 Download ROM (Latest Version)

Pokemon Infinite Fusion ROM is available to download and play on Android, Windows, Mac, and iPhone. You can play Pokemon Infinite Fusion...

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

There's a link to the discord in there as well which has more resources in the #downloads channel.

The site I linked is where I downloaded it. I replayed it with all the new features they added back in March, honestly it's the best Pokemon game ever made imo.
pokemoninfinitefusion.net

Pokemon Infinite Fusion 6.1 Download ROM (Latest Version)

Pokemon Infinite Fusion ROM is available to download and play on Android, Windows, Mac, and iPhone. You can play Pokemon Infinite Fusion...
I suggest you run a virus scan just in case. There is no official site for the game, and the discord and subreddit warn you about it.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Pokemon fanmade games were my childhood (and teenhood?) so naturally my answers would be one of them.
Pokemon Insurgence, Pokemon Tower Defense, Pokemon Uranium, Pokemon Showdown, and so many more..

In fact, I loved Pokemon fangames so much that I ended trying to make my own. I made splices of Pokemon sprites imagining they're in my game. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to actually make it work so I gave up.

Long before that though, in elementary school I made my own Pokemon-ish trading card games with papers. I drew my creatures in it and even added the borders, HP, movesets, etc. I made a lot of them and played with my friends. Thinking about it, it was nice to see them enjoy playing it.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Mar 12, 2024
AM2R is a prime example. I liked it and Samus Returns about on par with one another. I think my main issue with it was finicky weak points on the Metroids.

Metroid Rogue Dawn is a rom hack of Metroid 1 that adds a much bigger world, a battery save, new biomes, a map, and some new abilities too. It's a bit finicky owing to how the original game controlled, and the world is a little too labyrinthine for its own good at times. But still a recommend.

Streets of Rage Remake is another. I put countless hours into it back in the day before I properly tried any of the genesis games. My favorite entry until SoR4.

Mega Man Unlimited *nearly* hits the mark in every respect. I think the Wily stages are a bit uninspired compared to the rest. But still a really great game.

Mega Man Voyage is a very well done rom hack of MM4. It's a great original experience with a surprising amount of things from later games; not too hard and focused on being a pure, well balanced but still tricky game. It's a good yin to Rockman 4 Minus Infinity's yang.

Castlevania Lecarde Chronicles 2 is very flawed but was carried for me by its pure ambition. A big sprawling world, a new setting and villain, voice acting and some pretty cool music with both originals and remixes. I liked the attempt to make platforming much more thoughtful and challenging than other Igavanias, although it doesn't always work well. Plus for the most part, the bosses are static, predictable and very easy to slash into ribbons in little time at all. Still, I would encourage playing it.

Nm6k2001

Oct 28, 2023
California
Depending on your definition for fan game The Chronicles of Myrtana, Entropy: Zero 2,
Undertale Yellow and Enderal are all ones that I have greatly enjoyed. I'm also planning on trying some of the many many Pokemon fan games.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Pokeduel, a romhack for Pokemon Fire Red. Some mad man decided what Pokemon needed to be great was Yu-Gi-Oh monsters as the pokemon. It is amazing. 357 pokemon, custom moves, and best of all, it's built off Radical Red, so it has an absurd amount of quality of life features and stuff like fairy type, special split, and modern exp share if you want.

I love the shit out of this game and if you like both franchises I highly recommend it!