• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
So I've started to learn guitar a few weeks back, and in the online course on JustinGuitar the Neil Young song Cortez the Killer from the Zuma album got suggested for song practice.
I listened to the song and damn, that's good stuff. Really great, and makes me wonder how I am seemingly completely unfamiliar with Neil Young's work.

So what are your recommendations for Neil Young albums? Is Zuma a good starting point?

Oct 20, 2020
Zuma is a really good album, but it's a bit of a mishmash in styles, not congealing quite as well as earlier crazy horse records. Really the guy did very little that wasn't excellent from the beginning with buffalo springfield (imo he had all the best songs) through rust never sleeps. so that's a decade-plus of bangers. reactor isn't great, hawks and doves is corny, american stars and bars is uneven but has like a hurricane on it... other than those it's all total gold, really. just start with everybody knows this is nowhere, maybe check outthe oddball psych folk first/self-titled record. and then go chronologically.

edit- actually, the decade comp is still the best intro for any neilophyte

Oct 26, 2017
Posting this, just 'cos I really like it.

www.youtube.com

NEIL YOUNG - OLD MAN

Sing-A-LongOld man look at my life,I'm a lot like you were.Old man look at my life,I'm a lot like you were.Old man look at my life,Twenty fourand there's so ...

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been partial to Harvest. Love the sound of the recording on vinyl. The live Crazy Horse stuff is great too, you can see what an influence he had on grunge.

Highly recommend live at Massey Hall as well, just him and an acoustic before Harvest was released.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Zuma is towards the end of his classic run began with Everybody Knows This is Nowhere. Honestly, start there and go through to Rust Never Sleeps. You can't count Neil out of any decade though, that man is a legend through and through.

My favorite stretch of his work is The Ditch Trilogy which encompasses Time Fades Away, Tonight's the Night, and On the Beach. That's also the order they were recorded and how I recommend listening to them (release order is different because he got dicked around by the record company. There's even unreleased albums from around that time that are worth listening to.

He's one of the greatest ever, from his folky side to his blistering distortion side.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Definitely like On The Beach the most of all of his records. I love the way him and his band were doped up on honey slides for the whole recording process.

Honey Slides

Honey Slides

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
After the Gold Rush
On the Beach
Tonight's the Night
Time Fades Away
Zuma
Harvest
Comes a Time
Harvest Moon
Silver & Gold
Hitchhiker
Homegrown

(this isn't in any order really, just what comes to mind in terms of top tier solo Neil Young albums)

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just leaving this here:

But I'm - perhaps controversially? - all about Arc:

m.youtube.com

Arc (Live)

Provided to YouTube by RepriseArc (Live) · Neil YoungArc℗ 1991 Reprise RecordsBass Guitar: Billy TalbotBackground Vocals: Billy TalbotGuitar: Frank "Poncho...

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
On the Beach is my personal fav.

American Stars n' Bars is really good, too. Good southern rock.

Hard to beat Harvest or After the Gold Rush overall tho.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Neil's probably the most important artist for me. Don't sleep on his later stuff.

Are You Passionate is incredible.

But anybody just getting into his work should either check out Harvest or Decade (a compilation but it's really well currated).