Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The thread about the axe from God of War made me realize that a lot of people really liked that weapon. I personally never truly fell in love with it, mostly because of how hitting enemies in the game felt like hitting something rock hard. Hit-feedback is very important for me (see: Chun-Li pokes in 3rd Strike) and I never really got that satisfaction with the axe.

With that being said, what makes a great weapon or spell for you? Is it the above mentioned satisfaction of slicing through your enemies, the design of the weapon, the animations of it (looking at you, RE4 sniper rifle) or something completely else? Feel free to share!

I'm going with the regular ass Buster Sword from Final Fantasy VII. Not the messy one from Kingdom Hearts or the compilation version, but rather the original one. My reasoning being that the design is clean and iconic. Buddies who barely played the game back in 97 still remember this weapon to this date, which should say something about it. As a kid (and yet to this date), I am still fond of the idea that they put the materia slots in the weapon. Overall, it's a great looking weapon and I truly, sincerely hope that Square keeps it clean for the remake.

buster_sword_ff7tnu54.png

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
As cheesy as it is the first weapon that came to mind was the FarSight XR-20 from Perfect Dark. It was the stupidest most overpowered weapon, but it made you feel awesome shooting people through walls. I loved playing multiplayer with friends and everyone freaking out when someone got one.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Leviathan Axe in God of War is the best weapon I have used in any game I have played. It is just so much fun to mess around with.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I have a really boring answer, but give me a simple shotgun any day of the week. Hard Reset had such a satisfying one. I was also playing the original Blood a few weeks ago and the shotgun in that was also pretty damn satisfying to use.

I also really loved using bow and arrows in Dragon's Dogma.

luciensanchez

Oct 25, 2017
The Crissaegrim from Castlevania SotN. I still remember the hours it took to get it to drop. There are so many great weapons in that game but none of them turn Alucard imto an unstoppable killing machine quite like the Crissaegrim.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
My personal favorite was back in Oblivion with the create-a-spell mechanic. I made a Charm 100 spell that only lasted for 1 second, just long enough to cast it on an NPC and hit the talk button. unlocked all chat-driven bonuses that way.

even got to name it. "Coke and a smile"

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
The Chikage and Saw Cleaver come to mind, but most Bloodborne weapons would be up there.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's super boring compared to the giant swords and stuff, but I've always loved the MW2 ACR. I don't know why, exactly.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I love the Flamethrower in Last of Us. It's mostly useful against Infected, but good god does it feel perfect.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Does Blink from Dishonored count as a spell? Because it's so good I want it in everything

Otherwise;
The+pistol+holder+looks+like+the+halo+1+pistol+with+_87a2ff500e60584e3599f7282c177a5e.png

The best pistol in video games. A side arm so good who needs a sniper, shotgun or assault rifle?

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always liked the Storm Ruler in the fight with the Sting Ray type boss in Demon's Souls. That was bad to the bone.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i like ludwig's holy blade a lot

a sword that you slot into a bigger chunk of metal to make a bigger sword

i love the simplicity and physicality of that. same with kirkhammer

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Nero's Devil Arm and Engine Sword in DMC4
Kingdom Key in Kingdom Hearts

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Ball Lightning
The_Lightning_Orchid_Compare.gif

zipping around the map is fun as hell once you get a giant mana pool/mana regen

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I dunno if I can pick just one, but the first one that comes to mind is F.E.A.R.'s shotgun

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Spells? Ew.

As for weapons, I've always been a fan of spears. Not shield and spear, I'm talking two-handed, long reaching, and some real thrust to each poke. For that reason, the Silver Knight Spear from Dark Souls reigns supreme. Super long reach, slick looks, and it can vanquish ghosts on its own. I never leave Anor Londo without it.

8jMjsRT.jpg

Pascal

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
The Rakuyo and Threaded Cane from Bloodborne. What's the point in killing beasts if you can't do it with style?

As for a specific attack, I really love the Tombstone attack from The Wonderful 101. You haven't lived until you've done an elaborate air-combo and then ended it with a literal giant Tombstone that crushes everything.