• Wolverine and the X-Men

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Marvel Anime

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
We've had 4 main X-Men series so which is your favorite and why?

X-Men TAS

MV5BNTVjNmEwNTMtNmQ2ZC00MGJkLWI3MDgtNzMyNTc4YjVkNTQ1L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

X-Men Evolution

MV5BM2JmNTg5N2QtNDUyYi00MWJmLWJlYWMtZWMxOGIwZGI1YmY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI1Mzg0ODA5._V1_.jpg

Wolverine and the X-Men
MV5BNzk4Nzg3NjMyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjk3MjU0Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Marvel Anime X-Men

MV5BMWZlMmMwODUtMzE5ZS00MWY1LWI1NzEtYWFkNjk3NjI1NmI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Evolution is the best one and I've always stood on that. Holds up so well to this day and in general is such a cool take on the X-Men franchise. I guess TAS is more comic accurate but it has aged very poorly

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Just did a rewatch of different episodes from the 90s XMen and Evolution recently and Evolution just holds up better. I still love the 90s cartoon for what it is, as a product of its time and the cheese it brought, but Evolution is just great all around. I wish they had time to adapt the Phoenix saga in Evolution though, but I guess when it takes place is much earlier. Phoenix Saga was my jam as a kid with the 90s show.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I still to this day randomly start humming the 90's theme song. Its legendary.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
They all have their strengths and flaws, I still have a soft spot for TAS above the rest due to how cohesive the first two seasons are, but I can watch each series and find things to love about them all. Cam Clarke as Xavier in Marvel Anime is mad underrated btw

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
This poll will be ridiculously bias toward TAS just cause of the demographics of this forum. Any kid of the 90s will pick that show cause that was the height of X-men mania. That show introduced me to the X-men, I then read some comics, played all the games and Wolverine became my favorite comic character. By the time other cartoons came out I was aged out so I didn't watch them. I'm pretty sure the majority of voters on this poll just watched TAS and that's it.

I have read how others shows are better written, have more developed characters and so on. But TAS was pretty damn comic accurate, covering a lot of the Clermont run with a set group of X-men and simpler version but I thought it did a great job. Can anyone who thinks TAS doesn't hold up explain why it wasn't that good?

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
The original animated series is just kinda awful.

Iconic, yes. Influential, certainly. Responsible for making a new generation of X-men fans, beyond question.

But the art, animation, writing, acting... all of it a step down from your average cartoon from the 80s. And the 90s was the era of Batman: The Animated Series. The bar had been set and X-men had been found lacking.

No denying that intro is fucking incredible though.

I have read how others shows are better written, have more developed characters and so on. But TAS was pretty damn comic accurate, covering a lot of the Clermont run with a set group of X-men and simpler version but I thought it did a great job. Can anyone who thinks TAS doesn't hold up explain why it wasn't that good?
I don't think being comic accurate is a virtue in and of itself for an adaptation. What works in one medium doesn't necessarily work in another.

But I'm not even sure you could call TAS comic accurate to Claremont's run, because while it carries over plot points more or less intact, the characters are not the characters that Claremont wrote. And Claremont was always a character-first writer. He was writing a daytime soap opera that happened to have a fight every few beats. And the fight was always just another way to advance the soap plot.

X-men TAS doesn't do this; it's much more focussed on plot and action for their own sake. And it had to be - TV law at the time was you can't have new viewers (or those who happen to miss a couple of episodes) feeling like they don't know what's going on. If the characters truly evolved in that soapy way then kids might feel lost.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Evolution has the best character development.

Wolverine and the X-Men has the best single season story.

The anime is just fun.

TAS has a great theme song and a decent adaptation of the Dark Phoenix Saga. And bad animation, okay voice acting and nothing else. It was just nice to see X-Men on my TV when I was a kid.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The original animated series is just kinda awful.

Iconic, yes. Influential, certainly. Responsible for making a new generation of X-men fans, beyond question.

But the art, animation, writing, acting... all of it a step down from your average cartoon from the 80s. And the 90s was the era of Batman: The Animated Series. The bar had been set and X-men had been found lacking.

No denying that intro is fucking incredible though.
THANK YOU!

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
grew up with TAS, but Evolution is clearly the better one, and being basically one of the only x-men media that don't have a focus on wolverine is a HUGE plus

Does Gifted and Legion counts?
Because Legion is amazing and Gifted is much better than it has any right to be considering the circunstances

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Evolution was my gateway into comics so I will always have a soft spot for it. But looking back after reading the Claremont run, I don't like the interpretations of Magneto, Nightcrawler, and Shadowcat.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I've only ever seen the original so I have to say that. Cyclops looks like a fucking idiot fin that anime one tho.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Just on the strength of Jean Grey's treatment alone, I pick Evolution...I appreciate TAS...it was great to see certain storylines adapted...Season 1 was great, 2 good(I love "A Rogue's Tale), 3 entirely carried by the 2 Phoenix Sagas...but Season 4 and 5 mostly do nothing for me.

*Edit* As a Jean fan, I'm glad I got into the comics a year before the cartoon...no telling how having TAS as 1st contact would have shaped(polluted) my viewpoint

fzburner

Jul 3, 2023
Evolution will always be number one for me, the team dynamics were great and seeing Wolverine treated as his actual age and not subjected to the Jean/Cyclops love triangle was refreshing

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Evolution is probably the best show as a whole, but it has its ups and downs and ended right when I thought they finally had it all figured out.

TAS is iconic but it's... rough.

Wolverine and the X-Men is sadly pretty boring and the one "hook" it has, with Wolverine leading the X-Men instead of Xavier or Cyclops, is not great. Mostly just feels like an uninteresting retread of the TAS without the camp, though the future timeline stuff is pretty cool.

Never watched the anime though I never heard anything good about it.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
TAS was the X Men for me. I was always put off by Evolution because of how they made so many of the characters high school students.