• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
Just found out, short confidentiality period for the Switch "revision" and the Lite model (which was previously not even listed as it was entirely confidential) dropped on 30/07.

The interesting part is that interna photos are now available for both models, so we can start comparing/understanding what changed from the OG model.

Here you are:

Updated OG Switch

Switch Lite

Nov 3, 2017
At a glance, the joysticks in the Lite seems fairly easy to replace without disturbing the other components of the device

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
The updated switch looks pretty much identical to the original. Guess all they did was swap out the various ICs.

Edit: Actually, looking at photos of the old one, the screen is different too. The new screen has a much thinner bezel.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
It still blows my mind the Switch Lite will be able to run The Witcher 3. Awesome techy stuff.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
I could be wrong here, but the NAND chip on those images appears to be a 64Gbyte chip (its product key reads THGBMHG9C4LBAIR), which would be twice of what is in the original Switch. This would be weird, of course, because Nintendo didn't say anything about more storage, so maybe that thing is a dev unit or they used a 64Gbyte chip in the testing unit for whatever reason...

The writing on the RAM chips is even harder to decipher, but they seem to be Samsung LPDDR4x modules indeed.

Edit: Again, I might be seeing wrong here, but these appear to be 4Gbyte modules (comparing with Samsung's product keys, I'm reading K4U6E3S4AM-MGCJ and these would be 4Gbyte modules, i.e. a total of 8 Gbytes of RAM). Might just be a pre-production unit though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daneel_O

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
The updated switch looks pretty much identical to the original. Guess all they did was swap out the various ICs.

Edit: Actually, looking at photos of the old one, the screen is different too. The new screen has a much thinner bezel.

Keep in mind that the old photos are from pre-production units, things might have changed in retail units. And we already know that Switch changed panels after launch.

It's a pity they didn't provide unshielded pictures for the revision to see if ram modules were changed.

But we should be able to check if the Lite ones are really Lpddr4x

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I could be wrong here, but the NAND chip on those images appears to be a 64Gbyte chip (its product key reads THGBMHG9C4LBAIR), which would be twice of what is in the original Switch. This would be weird, of course, because Nintendo didn't say anything about more storage, so maybe that thing is a dev unit or they used a 64Gbyte chip in the testing unit for whatever reason...

The writing on the RAM chips is even harder to decipher, but they seem to be Samsung LPDDR4x modules indeed.
Yup. The RAM is LPDDR4.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
This would be weird, of course, because Nintendo didn't say anything about more storage,
Not in a press release, but the FCC filing actually indicated some change to the storage. I also recall the people who poked through the firmware data bringing up that the new model supported both 32 and 64 GB, though they couldn't tell which size would be for retail (if not both).

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Not in a press release, but the FCC filing actually indicated some change to the storage. I also recall the people who poked through the firmware data bringing up that the new model supported both 32 and 64 GB, though they couldn't tell which size would be for retail (if not both).

Well, can't be too long until we get a teardown of an actual retail unit.

Maybe they're saving the 64Gbyte upgrade for later or maybe the additional storage is in there but not available (or not available for now). Both would kind of suck, but Nintendo always does weird / frustrating shit with their hardware. Same for the RAM for that matter...

OP
OP
Daneel_O

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017

To be fair, the FCC filing mentioned a change in NAND 'type'. I guess it can qualify for a size change as well, but it's really weird they are not mentioning it if that's the case.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017

It's LPDDR4x. The label reads K4U6..., which is a product key for Samsung LPDDR4x modules. Regular LPDDR4 modules begin with K4F. Contrary to my post above, it's still 4 Gbytes of RAM though, as these seem to be two 16 Gbit modules (i.e. 2x2 Gbytes), which is indicated by the number 6 in the product key. If these were 32 Gbit modules, the product key would begin with K4UB instead. Even though the label is really hard to read, it's pretty clear that the third letter is a 'U' (and clearly not an 'F') and the following number is a '6' (and definitively not a 'B').

Oct 26, 2017
What would those plastic molds in the bottom corners of the Switch Lite be? Maybe it does have standard rumble? Or it was just something in the prototype?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Maybe it's suggestion, but I get the impression the SoC in the Switch Lite is physically smaller than in the original Switch. IIRC, in the original Switch it's 121mm^2, and it has about the same side as the narrow side of the DRAM chips:
maxresdefault.jpg

Meanwhile, in the images from the Switch Lite in that FCC filing the SoC is clearly smaller than the short side of the DRAM chips, and takes a smaller portion in the centre of its pin board, all while the dimensions of the pin board itself, the DRAM chips and the interface seems to be identical.

OP
OP
Daneel_O

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it's suggestion, but I get the impression the SoC in the Switch Lite is physically smaller than in the original Switch. IIRC, in the original Switch it's 121mm^2, and it has about the same side as the narrow side of the DRAM chips:
maxresdefault.jpg

Meanwhile, in the images from the Switch Lite in that FCC filing the SoC is clearly smaller than the short side of the DRAM chips, and takes a smaller portion in the centre of its pin board, all while the dimensions of the pin board itself, the DRAM chips and the interface seems to be identical.

I'd be surprised if that was not the case, we already assumed the new models used new Tegras at 16nm which would account for a visible reduction in size.
The Lite SoC clearly has a smaller footprint, about 40-50%?

On another topic, I remember the OG switch having a dedicate chip for the video output but I cannot seem to find where it was located. It would be interesting to look if the Lite is indeed missing hardware capability to dock.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'd be surprised if that was not the case, we already assumed the new models used new Tegras at 16nm which would account for a visible reduction in size.
The Lite SoC clearly has a smaller footprint, about 40-50%?

On another topic, I remember the OG switch having a dedicate chip for the video output but I cannot seem to find where it was located. It would be interesting to look if the Lite is indeed missing hardware capability to dock.
20, 16 and 12nm have the same footprint, the TSMC and Samsubg/GloFo 16/14nm finfet processes use all the BEOL technology of 20nm with an updated finfet FEOL, and they have the same density. A 20nm and 16nm version of the same chip would look identical and have the same size.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017

Afaik, it's the small rectangular chip on the back side of the PCB right above the USB C connector. Doesn't look like the Lite has anything like it.

OP
OP
Daneel_O

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
20, 16 and 12nm have the same footprint, the TSMC and Samsubg/GloFo 16/14nm finfet processes use all the BEOL technology of 20nm with an updated finfet FEOL, and they have the same density. A 20nm and 16nm version of the same chip would look identical and have the same size.

Really?? But the Lite footprint is clearly smaller, or am I imagining things?

OP
OP
Daneel_O

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it looks like it's a smaller chip. If that's the case, then maybe it's not in 16nm.

Or they reduced (halved?) the number of cores and clocked them higher since the Lite has only to reach undocked level of performances? It sounds really cumbersome and unlikely although in the long run might be worth it in terms of cost.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or they reduced (halved?) the number of cores and clocked them higher since the Lite has only to reach undocked level of performances? It sounds really cumbersome and unlikely although in the long run might be worth it in terms of cost.
Making two chips when you can just make one is quite needless. Especially when the OS does the work already

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Not really, there are several versions of TSMC's 16nm (12FFN being one of them) and they can be pretty different in transistor densities depending on your design needs.
I think if you were to make a die shrink of an arbitrary 20nm chip to 16/12nm you would share many common design elements (Like the BEOL) and end up with the same size.
Look at Ryzen 2000 series vs Ryzen 1000 series, it's 12 vs 14 nm but the size and density are the same.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly enough, the second to last picture of the Lite shows the "Nintendo Switch" and logo printed backwards, just like in that blue shell leak from April (as if that needed further confirmation).

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I think if you were to make a die shrink of an arbitrary 20nm chip to 16/12nm you would share many common design elements (Like the BEOL) and end up with the same size.
Look at Ryzen 2000 series vs Ryzen 1000 series, it's 12 vs 14 nm but the size and density are the same.
Impossible to tell without knowing the specifics of choices made with X1/T210 and now, with T214.
It may be that they can pack transistors closer on 16nm FinFET process now since they are aiming at essentially the same performance as on 20 and their main target for this port is reducing power.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Impossible to tell without knowing the specifics of choices made with X1/T210 and now, with T214.
It may be that they can pack transistors closer on 16nm FinFET process now since they are aiming at essentially the same performance as on 20 and their main target for this port is reducing power.
I guess we'll find out soon enough...

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Still has a fan, that's honestly surprising to me. Maybe they intend to overclock it after all.