• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
"They wont be evil because they need to tell you if they're being evil, which means people will go to their competitors" is an argument that doesn't work unless

1) There is a competitor who isn't being evil.
and
2) There is a competitor at all.

Very few places in the US will fit into either of these categories. But of course, Pai knows this and helping consumers was never the point of this.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Yeah...fuck this guy

Oct 30, 2017
Basically it sounds like, "If they want to promise net neutrality, great! We may or may not have a mechanism in place to enforce their claims! But we won't make them do it. Why Not? Because freedom and other vague reasons."

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I really got to take a break from off topic.

I know its important to stay angry at this shit but goddamn, theres only so much I can take..

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
This is an actual ad for mobile ADSL in Portugal, it's literally not hypothetical at all.

Portugal is in the EU, which has Net Neutrality regulations in place though, so it's just a boogeyman man picture to mislead people.

US mobile providers have already had add on packages for unlimited use of certain content in limited or metered plans. They used to offer extra text messages or music streaming that doesn't count towards your data limit.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal is in the EU, which has Net Nuetrality regulations in place though

Not for mobile internet. Hence the picture.

US mobile providers have already had add on packages for unlimited use of certain content in limited or metered plans. They used to charge for text messages or offer music streaming that doesn't count towards your data limit.

Yes, and those were violations of net neutrality, and were scheduled to be taken to court until Ajit Pai literally dropped the cases earlier this year.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
I'm sure Comcast and AT&T will play nice and uphold net neutrality on their end anyways. They promised it.

Naed1993

Dec 25, 2017
Because the vast majority of people don't understand it or the implications of it being gone means, and even some that do are so deep into political polarization that can't bear to go against their team.

I have a feeling that most people don't even entirely understand what net neutrality is and by the time they realize what's going on, it'll be too late.

I understand that most people don't know what it is but, places like reddit had huge reactions to fight back against this. But now it's official there is barely anything.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, thank you for making ISP's legally have to disclose they are fucking me over. This makes my choice of the one ISP in my area even better. They will fuck me, tell me they are fucking me, and I get to simply take it. If I ever see this asshole in DC, I'm going to trip him

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am sure Verizon, AT&T, Comcast, and Cox will do right by the consumer and online websites. They would never ever throttle or block traffic. When has a corporation ever done anything against the public interest. *rolls eyes*

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Fair, but it'll be brought up to the SC eventually most likely, and I don't have a lot of faith in them here

It's unlikely that the SC will even hear this case.

Part of Pai's argument was that the FCC did not have the authority to regulate under Title II, yet he's claiming he has the authority to stop states that do it themselves?

That's the kind of contradictory big-government arguments that I'm sure even some of Trump's judicial appointments, as far right as they are, would be against.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Nah, this is hypothetical trash.

The internet wasn't like this before, and corporations aren't going to rush out something like this overnight even if this is their goal. They don't even know how changes in midterms or the 2020 elections will impact things either.
Comcast used to throttle Netflix so I couldn't watch in HD.

I do not want to go back to that.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
"Those protections are transparency rules that require ISPs to publicly disclose any blocking, throttling, or paid prioritization. While the FCC is removing itself from net neutrality regulation, the Federal Trade Commission can try to punish ISPs that make net neutrality promises and fail to keep them."

I love the language here.

"Publicly declare you're fucking people over, and we're cool. Also, don't make them any net neutrality promises so the FTC doesn't come after you. They probably won't, but it doesn't hurt to be safe lol."

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
My ISP throttled for a while in the mid or late 2000s for using a certain amount of data per day. Had to download a program to monitor my daily usage so I wouldn't get fucked. Now I have a 300GB monthly cap.

Snake

Oct 25, 2017
Obama appointed this man.

May this be a lesson. Never compromise.
Obama didn't have a choice. Republicans get to pick their own seat on the FCC. The President just formally announces it. This is constantly pointed out when people spread the nonsense you're saying.

The real lesson is, Republicans really are the ones to blame. Stop doing their dirty work for them by spreading misinformation.

Apr 1, 2018
I thought Resetera's consensus was that private companies were not beholden to upholding "freeze peach" and constitutional protections in carrying and broadcasting messages on their service and that it is their right to decide how and to whom to offer their services, what changed?

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Resetera's consensus was that private companies were not beholden to upholding "freeze peach" and constitutional protections in carrying and broadcasting messages on their service and that it is their right to decide how and to whom to offer their services, what changed?
NN has absol-fucking-lutly nothing to do with free speech, but Im sure you knew that already

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps a crass comparison, but every time I see the topic title, I think of Mike Tyson's "I'll rape you till you love me" quote.

What a gigantic asshole.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He is literally the embodiment of the troll face.

I feel like calling him "troll" is a bit too.... soft? Like I get it, but man this ain't a troll. When I think of trolls, I think of frivilous shit.

This is good old fashioned 1980's style corporate boot licking. Except, thanks to the internet, we get to see it live and in person, instead of behind closed doors.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
While we understand that this issue is very near and dear, we do not allow members to support the condoning of violence or the killing of anyone.
I'd like some clarification. Since hoping for someone to stop living in the near future isn't condoning violence, that's allowed, I take it?
For instance, for the sake of humanity and our sanity, I certainly hope that Trump's clogged arteries will put an end to his miserable existence rather sooner than later. Is that acceptable?
Or should I pretend to wish Trump and his cronies well when I really don't?

Last edited: