Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

www.nbcnews.com

'This is victory': Anti-smoking advocates applaud FDA's move to ban menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars

The regulatory agency stopped short, though, of including menthol-flavored e-cigarettes.

The Food and Drug Administration announced Thursday it will begin the process of banning menthol tobacco cigarettes, as well as all flavored cigars — a move heralded as one expected to improve the health of groups most likely to smoke menthol products, including children and Black Americans.

"With these actions, the FDA will help significantly reduce youth initiation, increase the chances of smoking cessation among current smokers, and address health disparities experienced by communities of color, low-income populations, and LGBTQ+ individuals, all of whom are far more likely to use these tobacco products," acting FDA Commissioner Dr. Janet Woodcock said in a statement.

THE LIBS ARE COMING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CIGARETTES

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I don't think this will go over well at all. Can the FDA unilaterally ban an entire product class like that, or does it require legislation?

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the point is so that you can't entice people to smoke with flavors that are less harsh than unflavored tobacco. But honestly just ban tobacco products altogether if that's the point.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
It's already banned in Canada for years, right?

My dad isn't going to like this with banning menthol.

Is menthol worse than regular cigarettes? It's all bad to me.

It's less about being more harmful, and more about removing the entry point to smoking.

Menthol, and other flavored cigarettes, are easier to smoke, and thus is a flavor of choice for young people.

Banning Menthol will lead to a lot of younger smokers quitting:

uwaterloo.ca

Canada-wide ban on menthol cigarettes leads to significant increases in quitting among smokers | Waterloo News

Bans on menthol cigarettes across Canada from 2016 to 2017 led to a significant increase in the number of smokers who attempted to quit, smokers who quit successfully, and lower rates of relapse among former smokers, according to a new research study from the International Tobacco Control Policy...

Nov 9, 2017
This kind of feels targeted at the black community? I'm all for common sense restrictions of tobacco as long as it isn't steeped in racism.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even smoke...but why specifically menthol?

Banning flavors and shit is one thing, but going after menthol just doesn't make sense. Ban all tobacco/nicotine products, or ban none of them.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is menthol a hugely popular option for LGBTQ+ people? I'm not certain why that group is singled out.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
tenor.gif

but with newports.

+ this is paternal as hell.

Ban smoking if you want to help and stop the war on drugs.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kinda sad I won't be able to order my Key Lime flavoured cigars from Florida anymore :'(

I'd only have them once or twice a year, but still...

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
like, if you want to address health disparities among marginalized communities why not simply.....address health disparities among marginalized communities???

LazyGradient

Nov 9, 2020
Its been banned in the EU now for a year now I think. It's because it lowers the bar to start smoking. It helps with the horrible aftertaste which you get used to after a while.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard that menthol cigarettes are worse than regular and that menthol are purposely targeted at us.

Newports and Virginia Slim ads were all over JET magazine back in the day.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Won't work, and it honestly seems kinda racist.

I smoke Djarum Blacks. Technically a flavored cigar, so I'm assuming they'd be out if this happens. ...Still won't work. A smoker will just learn to like something else.

Frankly I'd be in favor of tobacco products being banned entirely. Segmenting it off won't do a whole lot of anything, I don't think.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I guess part of me never understood why menthol was fine but flavored was not? Like, mint is a flavor.

The other part of me sees it as over-reaching. Menthols are not bringing in kids, so this seems like it would only affect adult smokers who will just move to standard tobacco.

Finally, I feel at odds with saying legalize weed and criminalize tobacco. How about invest in education and recovery?

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018

Banning flavors and shit is one thing, but going after menthol just doesn't make sense. Ban all tobacco/nicotine products, or ban none of them.

Because flavored cigarettes and particularly mehthol flavored ones are more welcoming for newcomers, and the numbing effects of the menthol will mask some of the effects of smoking, which leads to an increase in the average of smoked cigarettes per person.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like the kind of over-reach that might actually lose votes and polarize the targeted groups. It's one thing to fall short on the huge task of improving society at large, but when you start just yanking away people's small daily pleasures they will be pretty pissed and motivated.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
ACLU is strongly against this.

At this pivotal moment, as the public demands an end to police violence erupting from minor offenses, we call on the Biden administration to rethink its approach and employ harm reduction strategies over a ban that will lead to criminalization. As we approach the one-year anniversary of the murder of George Floyd — only a few years removed from the killing of Eric Garner, a Black man killed by NYPD for selling loose, untaxed cigarettes — the racially disparate impact of the criminal legal system has captured the nation's attention. It is now clear that policies that amount to prohibition have serious racial justice implications.

Time and time again, we see encounters with police over minor offenses — for Daunte Wright it was expired tags, for George Floyd it was using a counterfeit bill, for Eric Garner it was selling loose cigarettes — result in a killing. There are serious concerns that the ban implemented by the Biden administration will eventually foster an underground market that is sure to trigger criminal penalties which will disproportionately impact people of color and prioritize criminalization over public health and harm reduction.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
This feels a bit uncool. Just ban cigarettes, and dump a huge sum of money into helping addicts recover, or let people smoke whichever cancer sticks float their boats.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Menthol cigarettes I get to some degree, the EU got rid of them as well, but banning flavored cigars is bullshit of the highest order. I don't smoke anymore, and even when I did I rarely went for flavored cigars, but it's freaking cigars for fuck's sake. I have never seen a kid smoke a damn cigar.

What's next, flavored pipe tobacco?

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy brain take: This is all a long con to make conservatives start arguing on the side of smoker's rights to pave the way for marijuana legalization.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can the FDA unilaterally ban an entire product class like that, or does it require legislation?
I believe that's in their power, but like always in America, you can sue the government and the courts will get to decide if they really can do that.
This kind of feels targeted at the black community? I'm all for common sense restrictions of tobacco as long as it isn't steeped in racism.
It is, like they say that pretty explicitly -
a move heralded as one expected to improve the health of groups most likely to smoke menthol products, including children and Black Americans.

This is spun as a good thing but I am not a fan of that approach (also "children and black people" does not sit 100% well with me in this context).

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame anyone who calls this racist, but it was absurd that Menthol was allowed to exist while all other flavors were banned.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I guess part of me never understood why menthol was fine but flavored was not? Like, mint is a flavor.

The other part of me sees it as over-reaching. Menthols are not bringing in kids, so this seems like it would only affect adult smokers who will just move to standard tobacco.

Finally, I feel at odds with saying legalize weed and criminalize tobacco. How about invest in education and recovery?

Weed isn't addictive. Cigarettes are bad because they ruin your health, but they need to be a controlled substance because they're so horrifically addictive.

Oct 25, 2017
What will Newport even do?

Echoing this feels like it will disproportionately effect minority communities. At the same time less tobacco usage is a good thing.

Amd nobody smokes the tobacco in flavored cigars lol

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people think this is bad? Smoking is extremely bad for you, a huge drain of health resources, and a huge monetary burden on the people who are addicted. It doesn't just affect you unless you smoke alone in your house and don't use any medical resources to treat the numerous health issues.

Oct 30, 2017
also, menthol actually crystallizes in your lungs in addition to the tar buildup common with normal cigarettes.

i smoked menthols for years as a college student. i agree that it is a lower barrier to entry since it doesn't "hit" as hard as regular cigarettes. but i do not see the point in banning one and not the other.

also, would the flavored cigars include swisher sweets? i remember thinking 99 cents for a small cigar was a fucking steal as a broke college student.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Nooo! One or two Camel Crushes a year when I'm piss drunk is my favorite guilty pleasure :(

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I don't know shit about cigarettes. Is menthol just a flavor thing?

Menthol acts like vaporub, numbing your throat and lessening the harsh feeling of smoking. In other words, it makes it much easier to chainsmoke, which is why anti-tobacco advocates have been tying to get it banned for years.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
also, menthol actually crystallizes in your lungs in addition to the tar buildup common with normal cigarettes.

i smoked menthols for years as a college student. i agree that it is a lower barrier to entry since it doesn't "hit" as hard as regular cigarettes. but i do not see the point in banning one and not the other.

also, would the flavored cigars include swisher sweets? i remember thinking 99 cents for a small cigar was a fucking steal as a broke college student.
As someone who smoked a bit in my early twenties, I'll have to say that the menthol ban in my country was a god send.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda huge. Menthol smokers tend to only smoke menthols. My guess is they'll switch to vaping

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are trying to sell this as "We're doing this to help minorities".

But to a lot of minorities this is just going to be read as "We're only banning the products that you like because white people don't want us to ban the products they like."

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No way is banning menthol cigarretes gonna pass.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

That isn't how legal things ever develop though. If you try and ban everything, you'll never make any progress at all. If you ban menthol nicotine products today, and get it passed, it then opens the door to another step of banning cigarettes in a later step.

It doesn't have to be "all or nothing", and I don't know why you would think it would.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
They banned menthol cigarettes here in the UK sometime last year I think. As a menthol smoker this wasn't a big deal to me as I smoke rolling tobacco with menthol filters, which they oddly haven't banned yet. If they were to be banned i'd find it a lot easier to quit.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Banning menthol cigarettes is bullshit. I don't even smoke or like smoking at all but this is clearly a targeted move.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Nooooooo my blunt wraps!!!!!!!

My immediate thought. The menthol part seems like... very targeted lol like kids aren't buying menthols to ease into smoking they just buy vape shit.

I feel like Swishers and the like are only getting lumped in here cause they see statistics for sales and are like "my god - people are smoking these things like crazy!"
No fool we're breaking like 90% of them up. Stahp

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
They are trying to sell this as "We're doing this to help minorities".

But to a lot of minorities this is just going to be read as "We're only banning the products that you like because white people don't want us to ban the products they like."
It has sort of been a "kick this can down the road" thing. When they banned flavored Cigarettes a decade ago, they put in the exception for Menthol, likely because they thought it would be perceved as racist to ban it. When they were doing the vaping legislation a few years ago that led Juul to pull all their flavored products, there was again an exemption for Menthol. This seems to just be them pulling the band-aid off