Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
The Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor was basically The Thing about the game that elevated it to GOTY status. Critics salivated over it. It was supposed to be copied by every open-world game from that point onward because how could you not copy such an awesome feature.

I don't think a single other game other than Shadow of War ever used it, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
I think part of the reason for that is because Warner Bros. patented the Nemesis system. I hate gameplay patents :p

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I understand the thread but in this specific case it is because the Nemesis system has a patent.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I remember 3D in games being pushed hard around 2010-2011ish. It was supposed to be a new era of immersion.

Voice controls were heavily touted with Kinect but never caught on.

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
remember when Microsoft pretended that Hololens was going to be a thing?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Fable the thread. So many things promised that would have been the first ever iirc.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
The nemesis system was patented by WB, hence why is not used more. The Wonder Woman game will use it apparently.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Remember how absurdly hyperbolic the initial reactions to Scribblenauts were? People were literally calling it the Game of the Forever based on a 10 minute E3 demo, because you could invent an infinite number of scenarios limited only by your imagination.

Yeah that bubble popped pretty quick.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about 3D and second screen experiences around like 2010-2013. Those fell off fast!

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I recall people declaring that Labo would be the next Minecraft when it was first revealed.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how absurdly hyperbolic the initial reactions to Scribblenauts were? People were literally calling it the Game of the Forever based on a 10 minute E3 demo, because you could invent an infinite number of scenarios limited only by your imagination.

Problem with scribbenauts is that there was *too much* freedom imo. You find a few word combos that pretty much solve everything the game throws at you. There needed to be some restrictions imo. Like maybe you cant use the same solution for more than 3 levels or something, idk

Oct 28, 2017
The new Wonder Woman game will have the Nemesis System. Then you'll see how great it is when you wrong Batman and he comes and bops you in the face when you least expect it.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Going to go against the grain and say that part of the reason why the Nemesis system never took off wasn't just the patent; the patent didn't get approved until last year, and was rejected once, and any developer that really wanted to could have probably found some way of doing it that went around the method described in the patent but accomplished a similar effect. I think the real reason is that the Nemesis system is harder to balance and much more limited in what you can do with it than most people admit.

One of the biggest knocks against the original Shadow of Mordor is that the game is so easy on its default difficulty that many players never really got those stories about rival orcs who had killed you and got promoted up the ranks to be your nemesis in the final fight, so the big thing you got was pop-up notices that randomly generated orcs were replacing the ones you had killed, which is neat but not really worth designing a whole game around. Speaking of which, that's what I meant by limited: unless you're specifically making an open world game (which take a long time from preproduction to release) in which your character is constantly defeating opposing members of a large rigidly hierarchical organization, then the Nemesis system isn't something you can just bolt onto a game.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019

I recall people declaring that Labo would be the next Minecraft when it was first revealed.
Now you're just mixing over-reactions from some people online; to just facts. Like when people said Detective Pikachu would perform better than Avengers; again people online not the studio that made it.

Scribblenauts was a sucess that spawned multiple games, a toy line and other projects. It just never reached the hype some created of it.

Labo was never intended to be something huge and it still underperformed the already low expectations.

Indurian

Oct 27, 2017

Well they did release 30k Scribblenauts games that one weekend. It was hard to stop the pop.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Are you just not counting the resounding success of the DS and 3DS in that statement?
I'm referring more to all those IPad apps games had in the early 2010's and were shown off all the time at E3 conferences. They would do things such as show the game map, inventory, etc. I think Fallout 4 even had one that let you manage the pip boy from your phone. Doesn't seem like anyone ever really used them and they don't seem to be a thing anymore unless I'm forgetting something.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Using cloud computing for complex physics and AI simulation. Did it even materialize on Crackdown 3 in the end or was it scrapped?

I wonder about this one -- I wouldn't be surprised if its still happening, but as a "we're going to bake physics and AI in an offline process" (which is what it always should have been).

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
I'm referring more to all those IPad apps games had in the early 2010's and were shown off all the time at E3 conferences. They would do things such as show the game map, inventory, etc. I think Fallout 4 even had one that let you manage the pip boy from your phone. Doesn't seem like anyone ever really used them and they don't seem to be a thing anymore unless I'm forgetting something.
Oh, all the companion app shit. Yeah that's a good example.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Gotta love the 2nd screen gaming thing, shit propelled handhelds for over 10 years but somehow that's a fad.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Going to go against the grain and say that part of the reason why the Nemesis system never took off wasn't just the patent; the patent didn't get approved until last year, and was rejected once, and any developer that really wanted to could have probably found some way of doing it that went around the method described in the patent but accomplished a similar effect. I think the real reason is that the Nemesis system is harder to balance and much more limited in what you can do with it than most people admit.

One of the biggest knocks against the original Shadow of Mordor is that the game is so easy on its default difficulty that many players never really got those stories about rival orcs who had killed you and got promoted up the ranks to be your nemesis in the final fight, so the big thing you got was pop-up notices that randomly generated orcs were replacing the ones you had killed, which is neat but not really worth designing a whole game around. Speaking of which, that's what I meant by limited: unless you're specifically making an open world game (which take a long time from preproduction to release) in which your character is constantly defeating opposing members of a large rigidly hierarchical organization, then the Nemesis system isn't something you can just bolt onto a game.

Absolutely
Been saying this same thing for years, I died like 3 times total in SoM, so the nemesis system felt like an overhyped nothing to me and frankly still does

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The action reload feature from Gears of War. Eg, reloading is like a small mini game that gives you a temporary boost if you do it right.

It's a great idea and a Hallmark of the franchise and I remember when Gears debuted, there was talk that it's such an obviously improvement to something that typically sucks in games, reloading, that it'll make it's way to most shooters in time. But nah it mostly just stayed in the gears franchise.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Problem with scribbenauts is that there was *too much* freedom imo. You find a few word combos that pretty much solve everything the game throws at you. There needed to be some restrictions imo. Like maybe you cant use the same solution for more than 3 levels or something, idk
I found it amazing how many levels in Scribblenauts could be solved with "exploding babies"

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
3D was going to be so huge Nintendo even built their big new handheld around it

And then years later removed the 3D from it to save money because barely anyone used it

Oct 29, 2017
Active reload should be in every game that has a reload, but isn't. Thankfully it's in Returnal and Guardians of the Galaxy. Hoping to keep seeing more applications of it in future games.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017

That may be so, but the original scribblenauts remains one of the most inventive games ever.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely second screen experiences. I remember all those E3 demos where you'd have a "friend" helping you out by logging onto their phone and calling in missile strikes and shit.