Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Pretty Wild poll honestly.

www.monmouth.edu

Nearly 1 in 5 Believe Taylor Swift Election Conspiracy Theory | Monmouth University Polling Institute

But 2 in 3 Americans approve of the singer encouraging voter turnout

But 2 in 3 Americans approve of the singer encouraging voter turnout
West Long Branch, NJ
– Just under 1 in 5 Americans believe the singer Taylor Swift is part of a covert effort to help President Joe Biden win the 2024 election. At the same time, the Monmouth ("Mon-muth") University Poll also finds that most Americans are supportive of efforts by Swift to encourage her fans to vote.
Just under half (46%) of the American public has heard something about Swift being part of a supposed covert government effort to help Biden win the 2024 presidential election. Just under 1 in 5 Americans (18%) believe such a conspiracy involving Swift exists. Fully 71% of those who believe this identify with or lean toward the Republican Party and 83% indicate they are likely to support Donald Trump in the fall. Also, nearly three-quarters (73%) of those who believe the Swift conspiracy also believe the 2020 election outcome was fraudulent. [Monmouth will be releasing a poll on the 2024 presidential election tomorrow.] It should be noted that the group of poll respondents who accept the Swift story as fact includes some people who claim to have been unaware of it (i.e., 42% of those who say the conspiracy exists also say they had not heard about it before being contacted by Monmouth).
"The supposed Taylor Swift PsyOp conspiracy has legs among a decent number of Trump supporters. Even many who hadn't heard about it before we polled them accept the idea as credible. Welcome to the 2024 election," said Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute.
On a less sinister note, two-thirds (68%) of the American public approves of Swift encouraging her fans to vote in the upcoming election. However, Republicans (42%) are much less supportive than Democrats (88%) and independents (71%) of these turnout efforts.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We live in such a stupid fucking country.

An independent citizen encouraging people to vote isn't a fucking conspiracy. Or is it a conspiracy whenever Trump gets irrelevant losers like Scott Baio to tell people to vote for him?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I believe it.

conspiracy-theory.gif

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
That's much lower than I was expecting given the amount of batshit stuff republicans will believe without a shred of evidence.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
What is even supposed to be the conspiracy here. That she prefers Biden over Trump and wants to help him win?

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Also, nearly three-quarters (73%) of those who believe the Swift conspiracy also believe the 2020 election outcome was fraudulent.

im shocked

hutton

Feb 20, 2018
I genuinely wonder how republicans would feel if it was the other way around. Would they still be angry if she were to endorse the republican presidential candidate?

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
People are stupid, probably read about the conspiracy theory on facebook and were like "yup, very true"

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
(i.e., 42% of those who say the conspiracy exists also say they had not heard about it before being contacted by Monmouth)

I wouldn't exactly be surprised to find out that 18% of the population are just hardcore conspiracy nuts.

Cousin From Boston

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Nov 21, 2017
I didn't know anything about it until you told me about it, but now that you've told me about it, I 100% believe it's true

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm glad to see at least the majority of people support her encouraging voter turnout. It always boggles my mind when somebody says that democracy is great while also wanting lower voter turnout.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Fully 71% of those who believe this identify with or lean toward the Republican Party and 83% indicate they are likely to support Donald Trump in the fall. Also, nearly three-quarters (73%) of those who believe the Swift conspiracy also believe the 2020 election outcome was fraudulent.
Basically almost all Trump voters with some fringe loony lefties/centrists.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
1/5 Americans will believe anything if it is something they want and people they like tell them it is true. I'm not sure this is even an American problem, but a humanity problem.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey remember when the other guy encouraged people for weeks to gather on January the 6th and block the certification of the election? Remember when he held a speech that day and told them to march to the Capital building and fight like hell, and that he would be right beside them every step of the way?

But my God, the fucking idea that Taylor Swift might encourage people to get involved in the election by *checks notes* voting is absolutely outrageous.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i can announce today that i have ran a poll about "am i surprised" and i can confidently say that i am, without a doubt, not surprised

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Pollsters also predicted yesterday's race would be a nail biter in the seat vacated by George Santos but it was anything but, it was a landslide victory for Democrats.

Polling in this country is broken and overemphasizes the crazies. Not saying there aren't a lot of them out there, but that they're frequently over-emphasized is needed context when looking at polls like this.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Pollsters also predicted yesterday's race would be a nail biter in the seat vacated by George Santos but it was anything but, it was a landslide victory for Democrats.

Polling in this country is broken and overemphasizes the crazies. Not saying there aren't a lot of them out there, but that they're frequently over-emphasized is needed context when looking at polls like this.
20% seems like a minority to me though

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly why modern polling is worthless.

I mean who actually gets calls for these anymore?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, I always heard that 10-20% of the overall population don't have the mental faculties to adequately function in society.

So 18% doesn't seem too bad I guess…

It'd be interesting to see what other weird shit people believe. The moon landing being faked? flat earth? 9/11 was an inside job? Obama isn't a US citizen? The 2020 election was rigged? (kinda afraid of that last one)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Social media has done unimaginable damage to the world and society. I don't even think we've seen the full ramifications of it yet.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Imagine having all of this built up clout and using it for absurdities like this just because Florida Orange is terrified of the world's biggest pop star endorsing his opponent.

Social media has done unimaginable damage to the world and society. I don't even think we've seen the full ramifications of it yet.

But we must remember, Tik Tok is the enemy, Facebook and Twitter are bastions of free speech.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Ahhh yes the conspiracy to make people vote, one of our rights as citizens. She has the right to endorse whoever she wants, and the people have a right to vote whether they want to or not. This group only wants people that align with their beliefs to have freedom and rights, anyone against them shouldn't have the same benefits as they do. It's sick how fast they are to refuse people their freedom of choice when it conflicts with their opinions.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
this is the most stupid country to ever exist
As a teacher, it depresses me. We have access to every piece of useful information ever discovered...and people listen to the worst-intentioned, least-informed sources. And as a teacher, seeing what's coming as the next generations pass through my classroom, I can tell you it's only getting worse. Way worse.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This is just more proof to me that polling is no longer a good indicator of the populace at large. It's broken. Plus:

(i.e., 42% of those who say the conspiracy exists also say they had not heard about it before being contacted by Monmouth)

I wouldn't exactly be surprised to find out that 18% of the population are just hardcore conspiracy nuts.

So ridiculous. "I never heard of this conspiracy until right now but yes I absolutely believe it."

septentrion2

Apr 11, 2023

Yep.

I'm more disappointed at the amount of people who see poll results of any type and just take that information as fact if it supports their talking points.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
What is even supposed to be the conspiracy here. That she prefers Biden over Trump and wants to help him win?

The whole breadth of the conspiracy is truly amazing, but the simplest idea is that ... the deep state government is running a PsyOp campaign where Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce were selected or recruited to ... do something benefitting the deep state, and that the Super Bowl, and really the whole NFL season, was rigged in a way to help achieve this goal.

Things benefitting the deep state:

- Getting the COVID Vaccine
- Voting for Joe Biden

other hazier goals