eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I think it has the potential to have the best story since FF8.

But the battles really turned me off, especially juxtaposed with how grounded everything else is. It just looked silly to see DMC action in that context.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I think comparing the look and feel of an announcement trailer to a game thats 2 years away minimum, to release footage of previous installments is a weird thing to concerngate over...

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just feel like everything's been overly serious since XII, and I want a return to adventure stories, with good character growth. Hoping there's some of that here, if not, seems like there's enough people that don't want this, so I hope they end up happy.
The people who are making this game gave us an incredible, nuanced, character-driven epic storyline in Final Fantasy XIV that took its cast through emotional, political, religious and moral journeys few games in the series - or games in general - ever did.
tumblr_o7vf9b7CAh1ujamaho3_500.gifv

It was challenging, thought-provoking, and satisfying, with a genuine feeling of adventure and growth.

... It ALSO, I might add, is a game home to this walking catastrophe.
FatalGratefulElephant-size_restricted.gif

... I don't expect it to be ALL grim darkness.

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
I too am quite muted on the reveal. I'm excited another FF is coming, but I'm not excited from what I've seen so far.

There was no establishing shots of wonder. No fantastical vistas. Nothing that gets the imagination going. We were thrown right in the middle of a hectic conflict which is exciting for certain audiences but made it feel like it was a continuation of something else *cough* the XIV expansion complaints *cough*

Story wise it seems to be a straightforward revenge story. There will probably be a betrayal. There might be a side switch in the middle. Will have to see more. I hear good things about XIV so hopefully that pedigree will translate into a meaningful sp universe and characters here too. As for blood in FF, I've already experienced my player character(s) deaths in other entries. Having what appears to be a NPC spray blood and then a kid go berserk is rather mundane and cliche. I have no problem with it but it doesn't weigh positively or negatively on excitement levels.

I enjoyed my time in XV so I'm not outright opposed to the battle system but I'm really not a DMC fan either. Looking forward to seeing party setups and potential for combos at minimum I suppose.

Music seems good, but it always does. We don't have a "Somnus" yet that can sustain an entire fandom for a decade, but we do have another latin? choir which I quite like.

Graphics wise, whatever. Story, music, game play can make up for it. My first gasp in the trailer, and not a good gasp, was that awful looking dog and the awful kids. The rest is passable but not exciting for what will be a 2022 title.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People saying this looks like FFXIV have never even seen FFXIV. What are they on about? It sound like some regurgitated bandwagon bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
They probably mean the art style. Which is true. And it's fine.

The "wow does this need Reshade" of it all, the general character designs, the trailer 'feeling' like how XIV likes to do their expansion trailers...

I do not understand the fixation some have with pretending people who see the similarities aren't familiar with XIV; it's just bizarre when it so clearly had a lot in common with XIV's presentation. It doesn't mean the game's gonna release looking like someone tried to give XIV a BDO glow-up, it just means the reveal struck a chord.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
For me it seems that they are doubling down in action combat like XV and VII R, and a more mature/gore direction aping western rpgs.... All to achieve the behemoth sales that the franchise needs in the west to compensate for the decline of the japan market.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Its amazing how FF fans continue to show that they are literally never pleased.

"I want medieval Final Fantasy!" "Too medieval!"

"I want YoshiP and the XIV team!" "Whoa thats too much XIV!"

"I want something different." "Nope too different we need Ivalice and FFIX again!"

"I want a more serious FF!" "Too serious where's my FFIX!?"

Ugh. Its made any sense of conversation around XIII and XV almost impossible to navigate through. And now we'll get the same thing with this one. Its astonishing. Plus its literally been one trailer. One trailer that for once is most likely running on the real engine instead of trying to look as high tech as possible using an FMV engine. Why is change suddenly bad? If anything this reminds me of FFI and II like Maximilian said. Even traces of IV.

This is why I cannot stand the fandom of this series sometimes. Only the Star Wars fandom has a more obnoxious discourse imo.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The "wow does this need Reshade" of it all, the general character designs, the trailer 'feeling' like how XIV likes to do their expansion trailers...

I do not understand the fixation some have with pretending people who see the similarities aren't familiar with XIV; it's just bizarre when it so clearly had a lot in common with XIV's presentation. It doesn't mean the game's gonna release looking like someone tried to give XIV a BDO glow-up, it just means the reveal struck a chord.
It means we have people literally saying it looks like garbage, low-budget, and just an expansion for XIV. "It looks like something from the character creator". That's in this thread.

...And it's ridiculous.
character-creation-final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-rebor_xuah.600.png

4f7b7e663680822602a72b3e0fb19fd3c325a184.gifv

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I want FF9 stylization again. I believe I've suffered long enough without it. Am I not owed?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

only the art style and themes look like FFXIV. I think the criticism is that the graphics look like XIV... not sure and a lot are hellbent on saying all the characters look out of a character creator which is bullshite imo.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me it seems that they are doubling down in action combat like XV and VII R, and a more mature/gore direction aping western rpgs.... All to achieve the behemoth sales that the franchise needs in the west to compensate for the decline of the japan market.
They don't need it, 15 and 7R already sold mass load worldwide.
Doubt about the gore too, just red Fanta here and there doesn't make it.

btw: awesome, can't wait.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
They could tone the graphics down to actual XIV levels and i'd still be okay with it. I just want a story that is consistent and makes sense.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
3-4 either way its not in early development and considering comments from people.

Both this and Athia are further in development than people think.
Yeah, I've been saying for a while now that FF16 is probably a lot closer to release than people think. I know that "lol Final Fantasy lol 10 years of development lol see you all in 2030 lol" is a most hilarious shitpost, but of all the teams at SE, pinning that mess on Yoshi-P? Lol. Dude hasn't taken a day off since 2011. First time he ever delayed a release was this summer due to COVID.

crossslide

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to make the argument that if FF 1-4 were contemporary games, they would absolutely NOT look like this, even though they are perceived to be more "medieval." Those games were always heavily of anime, and while not DQ Toriyama levels of cartoonishness, were always bright, colorful, and serious (but never grimdark).

compare the opening FMV to the PSP FF4 collection for example:

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I'm starting to think that maybe some of you have access to an engine overhauled version of FFXIV that's coming in some future expansion or something and that's why you say it looks like an FFXIV expansion.

Also saw someone said the characters look like VIIR NPCs just remind me how much I hated how random NPCs look in that game. It's like they are from a totally different game (or just free UE assets) and always look super jarring when they're in the same frame as the main characters. After playing that game, I appreciate how consistent XIV is. Just hope that XVI have that consistency.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Looks amazing to me 🤷‍♂️
I think the main issue was inconsistency...for me anyway

The opening of the trailer looked ridiculously good until the bit with the children which literally looked PS4 early gen level in some elements...then on the stream the battle scenes quality looked meh (but in HD/4K it looks incredible on rewatch})... but then the Ifrit/Phoenix bit looked incredible again. As did the ending image of the MC face change.

Honestly it's just the bit with the children that graphically looked off.

A lot of reaction videos I saw seemed to get a similar vibe...huge awe & astonishment in the campfire going into the eye...then shiva/ifrit/...chocobo warrior bit....then suddenly it goes to that children scene and a lot of people are like 'wait what'

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love everything about it so far. It's as much of a departure as we should expect from a new mainline FF, but haven't got so much from the last few single-player entries.

Oct 25, 2017
It means we have people literally saying it looks like garbage, low-budget, and just an expansion for XIV. "It looks like something from the character creator". That's in this thread.

...And it's ridiculous.
character-creation-final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-rebor_xuah.600.png

4f7b7e663680822602a72b3e0fb19fd3c325a184.gifv

OK but again if people are thinking expansion trailer:
tumblr_inline_ptshswG7ZJ1spwrid_540.gif

(quality of gif much worse than last example but maybe this one will load)

Which does correspond to somebody you can see in-game with the results of a character creator. It's not 1:1, but it's not a ridiculous take on what an XIV with an upgrade could look like given that that characters look incredibly similar. And, I mean, if you look at what some diehard gposers are able to get out of the game and then spam everywhere as screenshots of XIV characters, you can get a much better image out of the existing XIV character creation process than your screenshot shows.

And then you have the flat world appearance the XIV team runs with, some models looking less good than others in the trailer, enough of a thematic tie that XIV fans are fanficcing how the games could be related, etc etc. People seeing it on a stream and getting strong XIV vibes, or upgraded XIV vibes, isn't some great mystery. It looking like XIV was literally how I realized it was going to be for XVI before the chocobos showed up. And part of what it makes it resemble XIV are things about XIV that aren't great.

Like there's hyperbole on both sides--no, the in-game graphics do not look shot-for-shot like in-game XIV graphics. But the idea that the in-engine cutscene stuff resembles XIV trailers and the game in general looks like it has some of the same less great appearance problems that XIV has isn't ridiculous and people fumbling their explanations of why (because a lot of the characters do look generic for an FF, which might be a choice, but in a franchise known for distinctive everyone looking like a generic hyur evoking character creator jabs isn't a shock,) isn't really either. Going there for the comparison and saying your initial take was that they were maybe the same thing--given that FF has a history of trying to impress with spectacle--isn't this big shock to me.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't look the same as XIV but it also doesn't look great. Some of the materials and expressions look cheap. Some of it might not be final and could be improved, but the character models and expressions are not at all impressive.

JofWhjm.jpg

Everything from the hair, the stilted expressions and movement to the environment looked kind of eh for a ps5 title. Less impressive than FF7R to me. The hair looks like straw.

for the love of god plz fix the dog
73UFSOA.jpg

Honestly it's just the bit with the children that graphically looked off.

The close up of the face and the summon battle were cutscenes that likely don't take place in a playable area. The part with the children is probably closer to the areas you will run around in, with less impressive cutscenes, areas and NPC's like FF7R had.

And I think this game is looking great in the hair department overall.
c92f5e11-final-fantasy-16.jpg

If your example is extreme closeups on the main character in low light setups, and not everything else that was shown sure.

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I think it has the potential to have the best story since FF8.

But the battles really turned me off, especially juxtaposed with how grounded everything else is. It just looked silly to see DMC action in that context.
Yeah for me the battle system looks to be the biggest turn off. It's flashy and cool looking but is jarring against the rest of the tone of the game/trailer, which I'm liking, even if the character and environment design seems a little stale. Though the enemies do look good.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
In their more recent Digital Direct, the Digital Foundry team mentioned that the visual issue that the game has is, like with Halo Infinite but not as drastic, due to the lighting.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
the dog is perfect the way he is

His ears are a flat texture so it looks like a skin flap instead of something he hears out of. Honestly hair and fur in this engine look off from what they showed.
Carbunkle looked better in FFXV because they mimic subsurface scattering with the ears being more saturated in the thinner parts.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
only the art style and themes look like FFXIV. I think the criticism is that the graphics look like XIV... not sure and a lot are hellbent on saying all the characters look out of a character creator which is bullshite imo.
Cutscene angles look absolutely out of FFXIV as well, and even movement in general (outside of combat). It's hard to pinpoint exactly why, but I've seen hundreds of hours of FFXIV cutscenes, so it just clicks.

(I love how the game looks.)

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
OP examples just remind me how superior, tech and design-wise, Kitase's Business Division 1 is.
FFXIII still looks incredible for a PS3 game and FFVIIR, sans a few texture problems, is jaw-dropping.

XVI just looks like bread dipped in milk by comparison.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP examples just remind me how superior, tech and design-wise, Kitase's Business Division 1 is.
FFXIII still looks incredible for a PS3 game and FFVIIR, sans a few texture problems, is jaw-dropping.

XVI just looks like bread dipped in milk by comparison.
There is no denying the character models of Remake are second to none. The lighting of Remake is remarkable. I think that is where 16 is lacking a bit, they need a lighting team Just like the Remake had.