FF7 Remake: English or Japanese voices?

• English

Votes: 786 73.6%
  • Japanese

Votes: 282 26.4%

• Total voters

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
I'm amazed people saying the english was amazing. Found it cheesy as hell. Just typical over the top anime acting. Barrett was excruciating to listen too but saying that definitely one of the better english dubs.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm amazed people saying the english was amazing. Found it cheesy as hell. Just typical over the top anime acting. Barrett was excruciating to listen too but saying that definitely one of the better english dubs.
Definitely not amazing but definitely a lot better than a lot of Square's other recent games.

Apr 5, 2022
John DiMaggio does the Gilgamesh voice from FF12 for Heidegger, so that automatically makes the English dub better. šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„°

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
John DiMaggio does the Gilgamesh voice from FF12 for Heidegger, so that automatically makes the English dub better. šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„°

DiMaggio was the only redeeming factor about Heidegger, who was otherwise just painfully villainous lmao.

Amnixia

ā–² Legend ā–²
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I have to echo these posters. Listening to English just makes my ears bleed. I can't understand Japanese but man does it sound like sweet ear nectar.

I don't mind English, but if the game is made in America with English in mind I prefer that.

You don't watch Korean cinema with dubs either lol.

Subs > dubs always

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
English for me. One of FF7R's greatest achievements is it's translation. Everyone involved did such a good job.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Yes? The bolded doesn't even make sense because multiple high profile Japanese games record all the performances in English first. DMC, Death Stranding, Resident Evil, etc. Hell even the next FF game had the English actors do all the pcap and performances first with the Japanese VA being a dub.
I was going to say something similar. Can it really be considered a "dub," in the conventional sense of the word, with how these games are recorded and mocapped now?

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
So basically like a majority of Anime Dubs and Subs out there? Perfect for FF7.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's just because it's based on the Japanese original and they are very expressive in an anime way rather than being like a live-action movie. There's not much the english cast can do but to vocalize every grunt as they are done. The same criticism was done to FF13 even though the cast was good. It's an anime dub.

PolygonalDude

Banned
Mar 1, 2022
I am doing my 2nd playthrough in Japanese, but the VA is really good in English too! Not quite at a level of FFXII (probably best localization ever made imho) but getting there!

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
If the dub was anything like Advent Children's I would have said to go with JP but thankfully that isn't the case. Also, unlike the movie the voices are lip-synced to the characters as an added bonus.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japanese game
Anime aesthetic.

I rather play with no sound than going with anything else than the Japanese voices.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
English as always with these questions

choosing to listen to a language you don't even speak in your media when one you do is available will never not be weird

Deleted member 128578

Dec 2, 2022
I dislike most ENG dubs but this one was great. Both are good choices though.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I watch my anime in Japanese with subtitles... The game audio was really great in English, they did a fantastic job

shorodei

Feb 21, 2022
English is great, even though the exaggerated grunts and sighs can be extremely annoying and distracting.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
The main English stars are mostly good but my god, the quality drops off fast for most of the lower-tier NPCs. Especially that Shinra middle-manager. Meanwhile the Japanese dub largely maintains its quality throughout. Although yes, Japanese Barret is rather lame, and probably that alone will push me to go English on first playthrough of Rebirth.

For those who understand some Japanese, while the English can embellish some rote phrases with more interesting things, I also caught some choices that obscured the core themes of the game, although they tend to be minor. Like the early scene after first bombing when Cloud runs into imaginary Sephiroth, in Japanese its clearer what is going on, at least if you know Advent Children. Another case was that Japanese Jesse has a much more distinct voice when she's role-playing the princess from Gold Saucer, though that's more on the VA/direction than the translation.

Yes? The bolded doesn't even make sense because multiple high profile Japanese games record all the performances in English first. DMC, Death Stranding, Resident Evil, etc. Hell even the next FF game had the English actors do all the pcap and performances first with the Japanese VA being a dub.

Remake at least seems to have synced most lip mocap to both languages, although some of the gestures made a lot more sense with the Japanese dialog, so I assume that was done first. I expect they will stick with that approach through the rest of this series.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I started in japanese but switched to English for ease of gameplay since there's SO MUCH dialogue and tbh the English dub is fantastic, I didn't regret it one second.

Forgiven Empathy

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
I don't know if the subtitles capture everything, can't remember. I'd say English so you don't miss anything if you don't know Japanese.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm surprised by some of the answers here considering how bad the English VA was in trailers. Was it improved before release?

Mekanos

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 17, 2018
I think English is pretty much essential (at least for a first time playthrough) to catch all the dialogue during action. Usually I prefer non-action games in Japanese, but the English cast is pretty solid all around.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Remake at least seems to have synced most lip mocap to both languages, although some of the gestures made a lot more sense with the Japanese dialog, so I assume that was done first. I expect they will stick with that approach through the rest of this series.
FF, (and KH), has had separate lip sync for more than a decade. And they have varying methods to accomplish that depending on the title. FFXV for example had performance captured cutscenes in Japanese, with procedural/keyframed edits for English. So due to that you technically get worse quality animation while playing in English.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwPdoOmJSdk

(more on what's going on with the french dub in a bit)

With FFXVI they're doing the opposite, with English being the primary language for the pcap stage and initial audio with Japanese being a dub that presumably, will use a similar method to FFXV. FFVIIR is an interesting case because all of the ingame convos with canned animations use procedural animation that change depending on the language, but the full budget cutscenes only have lip sync for English/Japanese.
www.gameanim.com

Final Fantasy VII Remake ā€“ Animation Tech

At CEDEC 2020 this September, Square Enix lead animation programmer Ryuto Kazuhara and facial animation director Akira Iwasawa presented a breakdown of Final Fantasy VII Remakeā€™s animation teā€¦

View: https://youtu.be/qE0dD-iNXnk

I've searched to see if any facial capture was used and that doesn't seem to be the case when it comes to FFVIIR specifically. Especially since going by recent social media pics the recording sessions have Covid considerations in mind but that seemed to be the only major change compared to the way they recorded scenes before the Yuffie dlc.
8xd7gwtdsl651.png

The end result of a large focus on procedural/keyframe is that the two versions are super consistent compared to FFXV having discernible quality differences.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CRTZKWlnoc

I do wish that the documentation for a lot of the development material when it comes to this IP wasn't almost always solely in Japanese.

Last edited:

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
Is there a term for the linguistic Dunning Kruger that accompanies the eternal dub or sub debate? I mean for those that cannot comprehend a specific language but generally feel compelled to espouse its superiority?

Ignorance is bliss? The grass you can't understand is... er.. greener?