Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
............is that just some 2D artwork plastered over the character models? that looks ridiculous and sorry not a replacement for a proper modern remaster of FF7

Click through to the images, it's a full model swap that makes things resemble the original chibi artwork of Nomura

4-1584155723-1465686164.png

Combined with the 4k AI upscaled backgrounds it's basically the best the original game can look, IMO.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair they've already faced backlash and don't seem to care, it's resonating with an audience and selling well regardless.

At this point they'd have to mess up something really huge to actually face more substantial backlash than a few angry voices on internet forums. And all things considered, if that core audience was already fine with all the shenanigans that took place in the finale of Part 1, I don't think anything could throw them off.

Personally I've embraced the "Remake" series as something that isn't literally trying to retell anything, and honestly I think I prefer that to a 1:1 recreation of a game I've already played. It may well end up being worse but at least it's interesting. Fan modders have basically got me covered when it comes to modernizing the original release.

I guess it depends on what the audience wants out of a game called Final Fantasy VII Remake. I can't think of too many high profile releases that sold itself as one thing that ended up controversial, and then kept on selling well despite that controversy, but then it's a question as to whether the people who played Remake view those changes as negatives, or if they're only negatives in a story that's a remake of Final Fantasy VII. The closest I can really draw my mind to at the moment is Raiden in MGS2, except the next game put Snake back in the main character slot and then included a character who was a big joke at Raiden's expense. Though I'm sure more informed people than me can chime in on that.

Anyway that mod that redoes the chibi models is aces. That's kinda what I always wanted "FFVII With More Graphics" to look like, though it's hard not to concede that the chibi models were a concession due to technology even back then.

Click through to the images, it's a full model swap that makes things resemble the original chibi artwork of Nomura

4-1584155723-1465686164.png

Combined with the 4k AI upscaled backgrounds it's basically the best the original game can look, IMO.

Oh my god they even removed the stupid screws from Cloud's shoulderpad.

I need a gaming PC. Maybe next gen I'll free myself from consoles.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Personally I've embraced the "Remake" series as something that isn't literally trying to retell anything, and honestly I think I prefer that to a 1:1 recreation of a game I've already played.
I get that and Im with you but I still wanna see key locations in full remade glory. If SE starts heavily picking and choosing I will start to questening if they simply cut stuff because it was too much work and they will not able to hide behind story reasons alone.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it depends on what the audience wants out of a game called Final Fantasy VII Remake. I can't think of too many high profile releases that sold itself as one thing that ended up controversial, and then kept on selling well despite that controversy, but then it's a question as to whether the people who played Remake view those changes as negatives, or if they're only negatives in a story that's a remake of Final Fantasy VII. The closest I can really draw my mind to at the moment is Raiden in MGS2, except the next game put Snake back in the main character slot and then included a character who was a big joke at Raiden's expense. Though I'm sure more informed people than me can chime in on that.

Yeah even though I ultimately like Remake, I think calling it "Remake" was real stupid and basically cashing in on over a decade of what basically amounted to memes.

I have to imagine the next game will scrap the Remake part entirely... Hopefully.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would be curious what it would like in all of the remake graphics glory but it would also be a sensible cut. The whole minigame felt a bit weird in the original.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
I would be very annoyed and completely unsurprised.

I don't think this is enough evidence to assume that Fort Condor is cut though.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not following the implied part at all. Having a board game doesn't really say anything other than they have a board game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah even though I ultimately like Remake, I think calling it "Remake" was real stupid and basically cashing in on over a decade of what basically amounted to memes.

I have to imagine the next game will scrap the Remake part entirely... Hopefully.

I mean, yeah, I think it's surface level that the game was gonna be sold as The Thing You Already Wanted, what with all the puddle deep meta commentary.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
But it's a remake that could be three parts? Three whole parts and we talk about the necessity of cutting things?

What's the point of a remake if it's not about improving on the things that need improving? Fort Condor was a first foray outside of Midgar into an ongoing struggle between a village and Shinra, something that would remain relevant as we travel through the world. That this context could easily be removed by necessity, but having Deepground be relevant and canon is so asinine. Can't wait to fight Weiss! He's so much more important than the worldbuilding of the original FF7!

The point of the remake for me is to have fun beating people up as Cloud and co. in a sweet combat system with modern visuals in the FF7 world. To other people it might be the music, or the character interactions, or something else entirely. I'm a super FF7 og stan and I'm good with whatever they wanna do. I don't care how many parts it takes or if they remove Fort Condor lol. I just want a fun game within the 7 universe. If they wanna add Deepground and Weiss and all that go ahead. Just make sure those parts are fun to experience.

I dunno if I've seen people saying it's NECESSARY to remove Fort Condor, I see a lot of people who are indifferent to it and making assumptions based off this cute detail we got. Fort Condor was never this pillar of worldbuilding for me. It was just a thing. I'd want it in the Remake just to see it recreated but I'm not too upset if they cut it out. It's not Cosmo Canyon or Gold Saucer or anything like that for me.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, good. I want to actually play this game in the next few years and adding another Chapter dedicated to Fort Condor and its non-existent plot points and lame mini game was not needed.

Dedicate that time and effort to the snow boarding game.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No reason it can't be a strategy mini-game you can actually play. Like the darts or whack a box thing.
The kid will give you Phoenix Materia for beating him. :P

Best part of the place was the music (which I can't WAIT for a 7R version of)

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this would prompt a more interesting and meaty discussion if we were talking about the removal of optional content that was actually good. As it is now it's a matter of how to change content in-game that no one will miss, but maybe if you're splitting your remake of your most beloved game into three full price releases you kind of have an obligation to fit it in somwhere.

Like if we get to FFVIIR Part 2 Final Mix Director's Cut and the Golden Saucer is just a linear ass setpiece you'd probably get more of a back and forth.

Honestly, good. I want to actually play this game in the next few years and adding another Chapter dedicated to Fort Condor and its non-existent plot points and lame mini game was not needed.

Dedicate that time and effort to the snow boarding game.

The snowboarding minigame is next on the chopping block.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of this implies Fort Condor being cut. Probably just a way to introduce a new mini-game in this part of the game.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I always liked Fort Condor and would go to it any time I was able. Don't think the info provided so far means that it is cut but anything can happen.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Given the way the story plays out being essentially separate from the main plot, they can easily re-imagine it as a board game with its own story, lore etc that is reminiscent of what happened in the original

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The implications here are that if it's an in-universe board game it seems to imply they have cut the location (and subsequently the related story attachments) and wanted to try and include the gameplay aspect of a strategy mini-game to appease people who still wanted Fort Condor in Remake pt 2.

That's quite the reach.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I can see them turning it into a mini-game that is actually played by the characters, seems like a smart way to deal with it, doesn't bother me at all if the "real" Fort is cut.

OP
OP
Ocirus

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
The Remake is what the creators want to do, and they were involved in the original. So... whatever lol
Kinda my thoughts as well. Like, they fucking nailed Hell House and Honeybee Inn! Wall Market in general, really. In any case it'll be very fun to revisit this thread if Fort Condor - as it is in the original, both the mini-game and, as an extension, the location - gets altered and this board game is it's replacement in terms of gameplay.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
I liked the concept in the original, but it was a bit rough around the edges so I never played it as much. Was curious to see how they'd approach it in the remake, but alas more cut content

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
I'm just astonished that they'd consider cutting anything. The first episode was so bloated and repetitive. I'd love if they actually tried editing their vision down a bit but I'm skeptical.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jessie died thinking she was responsible for a bunch of deaths. I don't see what the problem is.

Generally speaking, the consequences and ramifications of sympathetic characters doing morally questionable things relies on them being the ones who actually commit them.

The morality of the heroes' actions was up to discussion, now it's not.

Oct 31, 2017
Generally speaking, the consequences and ramifications of sympathetic characters doing morally questionable things relies on them being the ones who actually commit them.

The morality of the heroes' actions was up to discussion, now it's not.
I know your avi is Caim but I'm glad that in Remake I don't have to play as murderers of innocent people

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Fort Condor was always a pretty bad part of the original game. It was mostly a bad mini-game. If they distilled that down to some goofy nod to the original in the form of a boardgame you can play (Or not play), I think that's a good choice.