• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On a similar but not a remake note.

Someone's making a PS1 rpg style game but with original characters/story.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
im seriously starting to get freaked out by how versatile dreams is

LBP2 was already blowing me away, but this is on a different level entirely

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
This is really cool. A full game.

I feel like people give too much attention to unpolished copies of fragments from other games, just because they look good for a toolkit.

They are impressive at first, but at this point we should focus on things that you will actually play as a game when Dreams is out. That's the impressive part of Dreams that can be drowned in the sea of "fans recreate this".
I talked to the game director back then in paris and i think the team's spirit is all about letting people do their own stuff and sell it ect. He also talked about publishing some games independantly (which i'd try to go for if my game is not too crappy in the end) but... Not sure Sony agrees with them!!

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
The game has been in early access for a couple of months. Why are people expecting Dreams to totally redo game design to make fully polished full length games in a few months time?

It doesn't need to be a fully polished game. But something in the works that can be playable and enjoyable when is done, even if it's simple. I don't believe a "fans recreate final fantasy" project will do that. Why would I play a junky incomplete copy of a game that already existis? Just because is fanmade?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Considering this was most likely made in like 3 months by a single person who may have little to no experience making any aspect of a game with tools that are brand new to them I'd say its HIGHLY impressive.

But it looks super bad. Like, I'd get the achievement if it looked visually appealing or fun to play. It just looks super bad on every level.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
But it looks super bad. Like, I'd get the achievement if it looked visually appealing or fun to play. It just looks super bad on every level.

I think you'd get the achievement if you knew anything about creating in Dreams, or how complex the logic behind all of this is, or how animation works, or really any respect at all for people creating things on their own, but it doesn't appear you have any appreciation for any of those things unless it's from a AAA studio with mind busting graphix and turbo sound processing or whatever.

This is impressive.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't need to be a fully polished game. But something in the works that can be playable and enjoyable when is done, even if it's simple. I don't believe a "fans recreate final fantasy" project will do that. Why would I play a junky incomplete copy of a game that already existis? Just because is fanmade?

Because this the early early days. Even the far more fully realized original games are still in super rough form.

Because of every thing I listed I don't consider it bad looking for something someone made in their spare time.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Is something put toguether in a short time. The things that level does are super impressise. Working menus with skills that pause the game action, working hp bars, diferent animations for diferent attacks.

What u doing is like watching a youtube short film made by a guy and expecting it to be on par with The Lord of the Rings.

With time there will be lots of original content that not only look good it will also play good. Dreams allow ppl to create they own animations and thers already alot of prototypes out there with crazy good animations. Its a beast of a creators tool.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I think you'd get the achievement if you knew anything about creating in Dreams, or how complex the logic behind all of this is, or how animation works, or really any respect at all for people creating things on their own, but it doesn't appear you have any appreciation for any of those things unless it's from a AAA studio with mind busting graphix and turbo sound processing or whatever.

This is impressive.

No, I just see it looks bad. Under any angle.

Drawing is difficult and takes a lot of time. It doesn't mean if I draw stickmen that it becomes impressive.

If that is impressive, what should we say about the people pulling good looking stuff in Dreams ?

No one ever said making a game was simple nor that it doesnt require a lot of work. The problem is, there's nothing interesting achieve here, save for maybe the character change and HUD maybe ?

The rest looks bad, plain and simple. And no, it's not about "AAA or bust". I play a lot of indie titles. Mainly indie titles. So I can appreciate when a one person team achieve something amazing. This isnt the case here.

Is something put toguether in a short time. The things that level does are super impressise. Working menus with skills that pause the game action, working hp bars, diferent animations for diferent attacks.

What u doing is like watching a youtube short film made by a guy and expecting it to be on par with The Lord of the Rings.

With time there will be lots of original content that not only look good it will also play good. Dreams allow ppl to create they own animations and thers already alot of prototypes out there with crazy good animations. Its a beast of a creators tool.

No, I'm not expecting it to be on par with Lord of The Rings. I'm expecting it not to look broken. As I said, you're basically telling me to not criticize someone drawing stickmen because drawing is difficult and that I would be expecting Mona Lisa with my criticism.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
No, I'm not expecting it to be on par with Lord of The Rings. I'm expecting it not to look broken. As I said, you're basically telling me to not criticize someone drawing stickmen because drawing is difficult and that I would be expecting Mona Lisa with my criticism.
Thers alot of impressive things running in that dreams level as i told you. But you are only focused in the visuals and animations that you cant even see what that level are actually showing. If you ever tried to create a level in Little Big Planet i guess you would had a better idea of how impressive this already is.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Thers alot of impressive things running in that dreams level as i told you. But you are only focused in the visuals and animations that you cant even see what that level are actually showing. If you ever tried to create a level in Little Big Planet i guess you would had a better idea of how impressive this already is.

I did. And I imagine, from what I seen, thar Dreams tools are more developped and straight forward in their approach to reach the expected result.
It's like, you could make a platformer in RPG Maker. But that'd be more difficult that in Game Maker.
LBP was platformer focused. Dreams is a more general tool.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I did. And I imagine, from what I seen, thar Dreams tools are more developped and straight forward in their approach to reach the expected result.
It's like, you could make a platformer in RPG Maker. But that'd be more difficult that in Game Maker.
LBP was platformer focused. Dreams is a more general tool.
Well cant wait to see what you gonna do in Dreams. Looking forward to it ;)

In case u didnt noticed, in that dreams level thers 3 characters you can control while the AI takes over the other ones. The A.I. and action of the game pauses when you open the commands menu that contain a list of diferent skills. Sleek working UI resembling the recent final fantasy games. Dieferent animations for aeach character skills.

If nothing of this managed to impress you for something done by a guy in a short periud of time in a brand new creator tool. Then u have unreaslistic expectations considering that even small indie games take Years to be completed.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Well cant wait to see what you gonna do in Dreams. Looking forward to it ;)

If I were to make something in Dreams, I wouldn't expect it to look good. It doesn't mean I cant say something look bad. I cant play violin. But I can tell if someone id playing bad.

Heck, I could understand the achievement if it was something supposedly going out from the boundaries of the tool. But I expect Dreams to be somehow full fledged enough for that kind of stuff to not be complicated to implement.

As I said, I can't be impressed by someone making an RPG in RPG Maker.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Heck, I could understand the achievement if it was something supposedly going out from the boundaries of the tool. But I expect Dreams to be somehow full fledged enough for that kind of stuff to not be complicated to implement.

As I said, I can't be impressed by someone making an RPG in RPG Maker.
RPG maker is designed to create RPGs, they already have a template for RPGs in place. Dreams dont. You can create music, drawings, 3d models, games, animations, etc. Dreams is not a 1 genre easy to do game. The stuff in that level nothing is done with a couple of clicks, thers alot of work placed in there and alot of complex stuff running in the background created by that level creator.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
Because of every thing I listed I don't consider it bad looking for something someone made in their spare time.

So this is what we can expect coming out of Dreams? Something that is bad, but "hey, someone did this in their spare time". I would rather use my time playing something polished and actually fun.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
RPG maker is designed to create RPGs, they already have a template for RPGs in place. Dreams dont. You can create music, drawings, 3d models, games, animations, etc. Dreams is not a 1 genre easy to do game. The stuff in that level nothing is done with a couple of clicks, thers alot of work placed in there and alot of complex stuff running in the background created by that level creator.

You're right. Dreams isn't locked to one genre indeed. Hence my comparison with Game Maker.

Should I find all those.ugly looking fan remakes in UE4 impressive ? Not really.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
So this is what we can expect coming out of Dreams? Something that is bad, but "hey, someone did this in their spare time". I would rather use my time playing something polished and actually fun.
There are a bunch of great looking, fun and polished games in Dreams right now. The community is still in the learning curve but great things will happen. Some Era members already have really good stuff in there.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Only with time you will see full well made games. Games like Stardew Valley that was also created by 1 guy, took him 4 years to complete. DReams is in earliy access for a few months, ppl is trying and experimenting with the game tools. And yes in the beginning you can expect most things to be short experiments created by ppl. Only with time ppl will come up with bigger, more polished experiences.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
There are a bunch of great looking, fun and polished games in Dreams right now. The community is still in the learning curve but great things will happen. Some Era members already have really good stuff in there.

Too bad they don't show up more than these junky clones from famous games. I hope this perception changes over time.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
It took a lot of work but still look so unimpressive. 95% of game creations on dreams can't shake that novelty look.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
It took a lot of work but still look so unimpressive. 95% of game creations on dreams can't shake that novelty look.
So did a majority of the Community levels in LBP... so what's your point? Only a small percentage will have that stellar look some people are expecting from a game like this. The rest will look from ok to great visually. It's okay if you have some concerns, but straight dissing the community current output is unfair. :/

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
So did a majority of the Community levels in LBP... so what's your point? Only a small percentage will have that stellar look some people are expecting from a game like this. The rest will look from ok to great visually. It's okay if you have some concerns, but straight dissing the community current output is unfair. :/
I'm not dissing the community. I'm giving my opinion on how the game and many others like it appear to me in my own OPINION. So you feel a game can only look okay to great? Not bad? Whatever.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's closer to what I think the aesthetic of FF7 Remake should have been than the actual FF7 Remake.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
This is a good analogy and something a lot of people on this forum (and gaf)for some reason can't seem to grasp when it comes to things like this and fan projects.

Oct 26, 2017
I made an entire (short) game from scratch in Dreams in a month, with no prior 3D modelling or programming skills.

That's what Dreams is for, letting anyone with some creativity make stuff they never could do otherwise.