Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
This thread made me want to give FFVII with mods a shot and I tried to install 7thHeaven but I must be too stupid or something like that.
I've got the steam version installed and gave this folder to the 7THeaven installer but it does not detect anything.
Tried filling in the folders myself but I have no clue where texture and library folder should be. Haven't found anything to help with that (apparently it works automatically for everyone but me?). Anyone experienced something similar before and could help?

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread made me want to give FFVII with mods a shot and I tried to install 7thHeaven but I must be too stupid or something like that.
I've got the steam version installed and gave this folder to the 7THeaven installer but it does not detect anything.
Tried filling in the folders myself but I have no clue where texture and library folder should be. Haven't found anything to help with that (apparently it works automatically for everyone but me?). Anyone experienced something similar before and could help?
Both 7th Heaven and FF7 must (or should be) installed outside of program files. After that's done, go in general settings and make sure the paths are entered correctly. Here's my settings:

YakrgZa.jpg

You'll notice that all the paths lead to the FF7 install folder. Also note that the "7th Heaven" folder in the Library path is not the 7th Heaven install folder, but is where mods will be installed.

If you're still having difficulty making things run after this troubleshooting, set both 7th Heaven and FF7.exe to always run in administrator mode.

When you download mods from the list of available mods in 7th Heaven, 7th Heaven installs them automatically. You don't need to fiddle with anything, other than auto-sorting them with button on the right.

Last edited:

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
AuthenticM thanks a lot for the quick reply. I did install both outside of program files, so not sure why it did not work. I could not have figured out the mods folder on my own so thanks again, I will try that tomorrow :)

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
AuthenticM so I got the mod manager running now but I'm running into a few issues.
Tried installing more or less the list of mods you posted in the first page but it says some of them are not compatible (Finishing touch and FMV, Enhanced Stock UI and SYW Menu and Fonts). Also the FMV one seems to crash in the first video at the start of the game.
Also don't know if that's a known issue but since I installed those mods I don't have sound anymore (music is fine but no sound effects in menus or battle etc...).
Hopefully there are fixes for those issues but this just makes me remember why I don't usually mod games. There's always problems like these :/

SaiST

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got this working with some mods in 7th Heaven, but when I enable the 60fps mod, everything is moving too fast in and outside of combat. I followed the instructions, overwrote with the files from FFNx-FF7_1998-v1.10.1.0.zip... Is there something I'm overlooking?

Ugh. Sorry, never mind. Realized I had the older version, had to use the files from the pre-release.

Looks fantastic, by the way. Appreciate all the time and effort from the folks that worked on this, and a bunch of other mods I've been tinkering with since yesterday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AuthenticM so I got the mod manager running now but I'm running into a few issues.
Tried installing more or less the list of mods you posted in the first page but it says some of them are not compatible (Finishing touch and FMV, Enhanced Stock UI and SYW Menu and Fonts). Also the FMV one seems to crash in the first video at the start of the game.
Also don't know if that's a known issue but since I installed those mods I don't have sound anymore (music is fine but no sound effects in menus or battle etc...).
Hopefully there are fixes for those issues but this just makes me remember why I don't usually mod games. There's always problems like these :/
Do you have more than one mod that touches on CG cutscenes? If yes, make sure you only have one.

As for the compatibility messages, sometimes that happens but the mods will still be compatible. However, in the list you gave me, SYW Menu and Fonts is not compatible with ESUI or Finishing Touch, so you should disable it, as it'll just mess up the UI.

As for sound, go to Game Driver settings and make sure that the SFX parameter is set to 'original audio.dat'. Only set it to 'recommended' if you have a mod that modifies sound effects. Also set 'movie option' to FFMEG, which I believe is required when using mods for CG movies.

n3sOOG3.jpg

Also, I'd like to mention something about the Game Launcher settings:

hgliveZ.jpg

Notice the "code 5 fix" setting. This setting needs to be activated or deactivated if you get a crash on start-up. In my case (which might be the only case), I get an error message saying something about the game discs. When that happens, I have to either activate or deactivate Code 5 Fix, which always fixes the issue. The error usually happens when I'm testing a bunch of mods and I'm exiting and entering the game repeatedly with new mod settings. But it shouldn't happen to you more than once if you stick to your mods. However, if it ever does, remember the Code 5 Fix: disable or enable it (change it from what it currently is).

Last edited:

SaiST

Oct 25, 2017
One other question: I know there was an updated translation for the PC version, is it available on 7th Heaven? Or is that something exclusive to Reunion at present?

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One other question: I know there was an updated translation for the PC version, is it available on 7th Heaven? Or is that something exclusive to Reunion at present?
The Beacause translation is exclusive to Reunion and that will likely never change.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Looks great!

I really wish this era of graphics would get some indie love similar to how there's been for 8/16-bit stuff running at 60fps, 16x9 etc. There are a few titles, but not to the amount of pixel art.

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
AuthenticM thanks a lot once more. This did the trick for the sound. I also got the FMV to work, not sure if it was only a one time issue.

That being said, I tested the 60fps mod and I'm not super fond of it. During battle it's fine but it seems to make every animation on the field much faster which looks very bad imo. Not sure I'm gonna stick with it.
Anyway, now that things are running, it's just a matter of finding which mods I prefer :)

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look into the Beacause retranslation. Its available for the PC version, and even as a patch for the original PS1 release. Honestly, its how I played through FF7, and I don't regret it. I'll admit I've never played FF7 with its original script, but that translation had me completely engrossed in the story, from beginning to end.
Nice, thanks for the information. I'll check it out!

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AuthenticM thanks a lot once more. This did the trick for the sound. I also got the FMV to work, not sure if it was only a one time issue.

That being said, I tested the 60fps mod and I'm not super fond of it. During battle it's fine but it seems to make every animation on the field much faster which looks very bad imo. Not sure I'm gonna stick with it.
Anyway, now that things are running, it's just a matter of finding which mods I prefer :)
Sweet. Share the list of mods you end up using when you're ready to go.

:/ That's a damn shame.
I mean what I had played of it in 2016 or so didn't impress me all that much. There's certainly a lot of work that went into it, but it felt a little sterile to me. Also perhaps too literal; I remember "moogle" being changed to "moguri", which is just the Japanese pronounciation of "moogle". So I'm not too sad at the inability to use the translation with 7th Heaven.

Also, for what it's worth, New Threat cleans up the translation a bit. It likely takes a few liberties here and there, but the whole thing just reads more natural. And the grammar mistakes are fixed lol.

Last edited:

SaiST

Oct 25, 2017
I mean what I had played of it in 2015 didn't impress me all that much. There's certainly a lot of work that went into it, but it felt a little sterile to me. Also perhaps too literal; I remember "moogle" being changed to "moguri", which is just the Japanese pronounciation of "moogle". So I'm not too sad at the inability to use the translation with 7th Heaven.
I get you. That probably would've bothered me no less than the original bad grammar.

Also, for what it's worth, New Threat cleans up the translation a bit. It likely takes a few liberties here and there, but the whole thing just reads more natural. And the grammar mistakes are fixed lol.
It's nice to know that there's an alternative! But is it all a packaged deal? Can you get the better translation without the other changes?

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to know that there's an alternative! But is it all a packaged deal? Can you get the better translation without the other changes?
Yeah it's a packaged deal, unfortunately.

Square seriously needs to release a new localization of FF7, honestly. I don't know why it hasn't happened yet. Like, every new version of FF4 had a new localization lol. So it's not like they aren't willing to put money into it. I guess it must be because FF7 is much harder to alter because of how old it the engine is (and they lost the source code).

If you want the purest experience of FF7, don't play New Threat. Once you've already played the game though, I very much recommend you do.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we have an all-in-one installer yet that applies the 60 fps patch, the Becuase translation and the 7th Heaven texture/background/improvements?

Might also apply that New Thread mod just for a new experience then running the game game for the millionth time. Is it something you can easily toggle like a separate in-game menu, or it's a total replacer that you'll need to commit to?

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have an all-in-one installer yet that applies the 60 fps patch, the Becuase translation and the 7th Heaven texture/background/improvements?
There isn't because Beacause/Reunion is not compatible with 7th Heaven or its mods. Reunion and 7th Heaven are two different modding frameworks.

Might also apply that New Thread mod just for a new experience then running the game game for the millionth time. Is it something you can easily toggle like a separate in-game menu, or it's a total replacer that you'll need to commit to?
Total replacer. It can't be toggled off or on at will. If you've already played the game a million times, go for it.

New Threat offers two game types: A and B. Game Type A mostly follows the canonical encounters and scenes, with the exception of the Scorpion Tank now being a recurring boss fight à la Nemesis, new optional superbosses that unlock when you reach the end of the final dungeon, and, lastly, the fact that you can optionally keep Aerith alive.

Game Type B, on the other hand, goes wilder with new bosses and different scenarios (for example, Tifa is part of the bombing run at the beginning of the game, and the wall market item hunt is removed and replaced with a suite of coliseum fights).

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There isn't because Beacause/Reunion is not compatible with 7th Heaven or its mods. Reunion and 7th Heaven are two different modding frameworks.

Total replacer. It can't be toggled off or on at will. If you've already played the game a million times, go for it.

New Threat offers two game types: A and B. Game Type A mostly follows the canonical encounters and scenes, with the exception of the Scorpion Tank now being a recurring boss fight à la Nemesis, new optional superbosses that unlock when you reach the end of the final dungeon, and, lastly, the fact that you can optionally keep Aerith alive.

Game Type B, on the other hand, goes wilder with new bosses and different scenarios (for example, Tifa is part of the bombing run at the beginning of the game, and the wall market item hunt is removed and replaced with a suite of coliseum fights).

Is it possible to have different copies of the game installed with the different mods?

This is something I've been wondering about for games that have total conversion mods, actually; let's say I wanted a game that was vanilla, one with conversion mod A, and another with conversion mod B, then add all three as separate shortcuts on Steam or whatever.

It'd be a lot easier than constantly modifying the one game over and over.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Sorry for the late quote AuthenticM :

I assume most of "Tsunamods" texture and FMV work increases fidelity while keeping the same aesthetic as the original, right?

Asking because even small files are taking hours to download via the 7th Heaven app.

I want to run the game "as close as the original as possible" but with enhanced fidelity in the UI (but the SAME UI), backgrounds, battle textures, world textures, etc.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the late quote AuthenticM :

I assume most of "Tsunamods" texture and FMV work increases fidelity while keeping the same aesthetic as the original, right?

Asking because even small files are taking hours to download via the 7th Heaven app.

I want to run the game "as close as the original as possible" but with enhanced fidelity in the UI (but the SAME UI), backgrounds, battle textures, world textures, etc.
You want Satsuki's SYW mods for that. If the Tsunamods mods are the ones I think about, they very much change the art style to something very different.

Note that for the SYW mod pertaining to CG cutscenes, there are two options: a 30fps one and a non-30fps one. Get only one of the two. I suggest the 30fps one.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say that while Moguri Mod for FFIX is fantastic, I haven't yet seen an AI upscale that does justice to FFVII. I think it's because more of FFVII is artificial and mechanical in nature, but right off the bat when you enter the Mako Reactor 1, even with SYW, you just see all kinds of weird stuff the AI did with the textures that weren't fixed by hand: crooked stairs, floor grates blurred into nothingness, machinery turned into incomprehensible smudges. Not to put down the hard work of people like Satsuki, but these tools still need a lot more work.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
You want Satsuki's SYW mods for that. If the Tsunamods mods are the ones I think about, they very much change the art style to something very different.

Note that for the SYW mod pertaining to CG cutscenes, there are two options: a 30fps one and a non-30fps one. Get only one of the two. I suggest the 30fps one.

Thanks, that's weird, the Tsuna previews seem pretty much the same textures as the core game but in higher res. The other samples I'm seeing from other providers do change the art style.

Btw Im seeing the Nino Chibi models within the app now (no need to download separately?)

.... EDIT....

This looks nice (click on it). I just want to add some film grain on top. Thoughts?

lVdHdHT.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, that's weird, the Tsuna previews seem pretty much the same textures as the core game but in higher res. The other samples I'm seeing from other providers do change the art style.

Btw Im seeing the Nino Chibi models within the app now (no need to download separately?)

.... EDIT....

This looks nice (click on it). I just want to add some film grain on top. Thoughts?

lVdHdHT.png
Yeah Nino Chibi was added to the 7th Heaven catalogue. Though newer versions first appear on Nexusmods, and may take days before hitting the catalogue. So check on Nexusmods to see if there isn't a new version there first (and there is one right now).

I use reshade to add a slight film grain to the game. It works fine for me.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Yeah Nino Chibi was added to the 7th Heaven catalogue. Though newer versions first appear on Nexusmods, and may take days before hitting the catalogue. So check on Nexusmods to see if there isn't a new version there first (and there is one right now).

I use reshade to add a slight film grain to the game. It works fine for me.

Thanks, the date in the app say January 28 so I assume is the latest?

Satsuki is actually showing under Tsuna, and it does look like the original.

I was able to add film grain on reshade and this looks better than a remaster now. Thank you SO MUCH.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
The game feels too fast when playing with this mod. Is there a way to play at 30FPS? Think it would be better and still look smooth.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Watched it with sound off.
It doesn't look that much different... ...Oh- ooooh shit.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I'm on a fresh install of the Steam version of FF7. I'm currently trying out the 60fps mod, but it seems like it's just makes the game run much faster than normal instead of smoothing out animations. The animations also runs somewhat improperly at times. I'm on the latest version of 7th Heaven. Do I need a newer version of FFNx?

Edit: On a separate note, is there a proper way to upgrade FFNx? Do I just need to replace the steam_api.dll?

Last edited:

CosmosXIII

Feb 15, 2022
I'm on a fresh install of the Steam version of FF7. I'm currently trying out the 60fps mod, but it seems like it's just makes the game run much faster than normal instead of smoothing out animations. The animations also runs somewhat improperly at times. I'm on the latest version of 7th Heaven. Do I need a newer version of FFNx?

Edit: On a separate note, is there a proper way to upgrade FFNx? Do I just need to replace the steam_api.dll?

There are two FFNx releases:
- the stable version (labeled in github as latest)
- the canary version (labeled in github as pre-release)

60 fps only works with the canary version right now so you need the canary version of FFNx.
Right now, it would be this one (FFNx-v1.10.1.202): https://github.com/julianxhokaxhiu/FFNx/releases/tag/canary

You have the steam version, so the first thought will be downloading the steam version of FFNx.
However, when you run 7thHeaven for the first time it will convert your steam version to the 1998 version. This allows all 7th Heaven mods to work.
I think that when doing the conversion it prompts you to specify where you want to make a copy of the game for the converted 1998 version. I think by default this is "C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII"

So in summary, you need to download the 1998 version of FFNx: FFNx-FF7_1998-v1.10.1.202.zip

Sorry this is so confusing...

To install FFNx you need to copy and paste all the contents included in the zip file into the game directory for the converted 1998 version (probably this will be C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII).

Probably the next version of 7th Heaven will have a FFNx updater built in so you won't need to do this again (it was there before but it was disabled temporarily...)

Also, I suppose you already have it but you need the 60 fps IRO for the interpolated animations. You can download this from the 7th Heaven catalog.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
There are two FFNx releases:
- the stable version (labeled in github as latest)
- the canary version (labeled in github as pre-release)

60 fps only works with the canary version right now so you need the canary version of FFNx.
Right now, it would be this one (FFNx-v1.10.1.202): https://github.com/julianxhokaxhiu/FFNx/releases/tag/canary

You have the steam version, so the first thought will be downloading the steam version of FFNx.
However, when you run 7thHeaven for the first time it will convert your steam version to the 1998 version. This allows all 7th Heaven mods to work.
I think that when doing the conversion it prompts you to specify where you want to make a copy of the game for the converted 1998 version. I think by default this is "C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII"

So in summary, you need to download the 1998 version of FFNx: FFNx-FF7_1998-v1.10.1.202.zip

Sorry this is so confusing...

To install FFNx you need to copy and paste all the contents included in the zip file into the game directory for the converted 1998 version (probably this will be C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII).

Probably the next version of 7th Heaven will have a FFNx updater built in so you won't need to do this again (it was there before but it was disabled temporarily...)

Also, I suppose you already have it but you need the 60 fps IRO for the interpolated animations. You can download this from the 7th Heaven catalog.

Thank you so much for your help! I'm excited to get everything working properly!

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Sorry to bump this one, but I was wondering if there has been any movement with other FF games in a similar vein in the last few months? 8 or 9, or even X or X-2?
I don't really follow the FF modding scene at all, so I'm curious if there are people researching this in other games after this breakthrough.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone done a mod where you can get the Yamaha XG music for all tracks *except* one winged angel where the vocal PSX version can be inserted instead?

I have a Yamaha XG synthesiser if that would be required.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So I know the default is to use 7th heaven for this stuff, but can I mod the game and have it be the one thing to run? I want to do another run of FF7 but with ninostyle, 60fps, the updated FMVs, etc...

FF8 and FF9 mods
OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to bump this one, but I was wondering if there has been any movement with other FF games in a similar vein in the last few months? 8 or 9, or even X or X-2?
I don't really follow the FF modding scene at all, so I'm curious if there are people researching this in other games after this breakthrough.
X and X-2 have very minimal activity in the mod scene. Apparently it's extremely hard to mod the games, so coupled with the lower interest from the fan base for mods, there just isn't anything worthwhile there.

FF8 has a healthy mod scene, with many graphical mods and one solid gameplay mod. Here are threads you should bookmark:

Master list for the graphics mod for the original Steam release

[FF8-PC/Steam] Tonberry Master List - FF8 Mods Progress

[FF8-PC/Steam] Tonberry Master List - FF8 Mods Progress

Master list for the graphics mods for the Remastered release

[FF8R-PC/Steam] FF8 Remastered (Lunatic Pandora) Mods Progress

[FF8R-PC/Steam] FF8 Remastered (Lunatic Pandora) Mods Progress

Thread for Ragnarok Rebalancing, the most popular gameplay mod for the game

[FF8PC-Steam] Ragnarok Rebalancing Mod (v1.2.3 & v1.1b)

[FF8PC-Steam] Ragnarok Rebalancing Mod (v1.2.3 & v1.1b)

There is also a New Threat mod for FF8, by the same author as that of FF7. It is currently incomplete.

As for FF9, there are only three mods that you need to pay attention to:

Moguri | Graphical mod, AI-upscaled textures

[FF9 PC] Moguri Mod update 8.2 (LIVE ON OFFICIAL SITE)

[FF9 PC] Moguri Mod update 8.2 (LIVE ON OFFICIAL SITE)

Sounds Fix by DV | Fixes the sound effects of the PC version, which are distorted compared to the original PS1 sounds

steamcommunity.com

FFIX Sounds Fix v2.1 (by DV) :: FINAL FANTASY IX General Discussions

Installation With the recent version de Memoria, you can download directly my mod with the mod launcher ! Extremely easy to install ! (huge thanks to Tirlititi for this feature) 1) Download the latest version of Memoria (v2022.11.11 at least) => https://github.com/Albeoris/Memoria/releases...

Alternate Fantasy | The most popular gameplay mod for the game

[PSX/PC] Alternate Fantasy (v3.2 & v6.0)

[PSX/PC] Alternate Fantasy (v3.2 & v6.0)

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
X and X-2 have very minimal activity in the mod scene. Apparently it's extremely hard to mod the games, so coupled with the lower interest from the fan base for mods, there just isn't anything worthwhile there.
Interesting, I remember character model viewers came out many years ago and I sort of expected a modding scene to sprout around making new models potentially.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

FF8 has a healthy mod scene, with many graphical mods and one solid gameplay mod. Here are threads you should bookmark:
Thanks for the detailed post, but I think I maybe should have specified that I'm specifically curious about 60fps mods.
But considering you didn't mention any, I'm going to make the assumption that no, there's no movement there for the time being. 😄

Actually came to mind after seeing the moguri mod trailer in another thread, so I figured I'd ask. :D