RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My dude, you can literally see every line of dialog she has in the entire game in under 11 minutes and only one of those is a required MSQ cutscene. In total you see her 3-4 times across the whole game. She's basically in line with the random Shinra businessman you see in several places throughout the game.

youtu.be

Final Fantasy 7 REMAKE - KYRIE ALL SCENES

#finalfantasy7remake#Kyrie#allScenes********************Kyrie Canaanamateurs who don't care about collateral damage. The sky is falling and Avalanche is to b...

They were both annoying af so I can agree with Smasher here

Kyrie fits right in. She's basically a female Johnny.

Johnny is at least fun stupid. Kyrie is Yuffie without any redeeming qualities or fun at all.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
As somebody who didn't explore much of compilation until after I played FF7R1, I actually thought she was an original character to that game and it felt completely organic with no feel of pre-existing material weight to it.

I will confidently predict that the only people who think she's shoehorned in are people bringing subjective baggage into it from already knowing who she is and that almost any player who hasn't read TKAA wouldn't think she's any different from Roche or Madam M.

Where I fell.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
"See? If you losers had played First Soldier all these references to the Battle Royale's systems in Glenn's fight would be so impressive to you right now!"

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In this screen, you can see we dug up a "PLAY ARTS Sweeper." Play Arts Kai makes collectible figures for Square-Enix. Maybe we collect 3D figurines in-game?

videocapture_20230926fmf3k.jpg
They should come in full packaging

29177125_2025114784370280_6667933776397467648_n.png

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
"See? If you losers had played First Soldier all these references to the Battle Royale's systems in Glenn's fight would be so impressive to you right now!"

lol

I submit that so far exactly none of the Remake project has required any other priors to understand and appreciate. I know nothing about who that purple magic dude with the bondage pro wrestler mask is outside of the context of Final Fantasy VII: Intermission and I don't need to because 'horrible experiment gone terribly wrong in the labs of the evil corporation' is immediately graspable.

Honestly one of the worst things about the modern day is how much 'lore'/'backstory' has been leveraged for IP strengthening and merch purposes and everybody's been convinced they need to consult the wikipedia to truly appreciate a work on an emotional and thematic level. It's a sucker's game.

The devs are trying to make Rebirth a game that people can play without even playing Remake so why would we assume they would ask us to play some mobile game as a prerequisite to enjoying and understanding?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I don't even remember where I sat on that Genesis avatar bet. Guess I'm in for a surprise when the game launches!

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Exactly! My thought was that they wanted somebody with a bit of Yuffie energy to mildly antagonize the party since she wouldn't be in part 1 directly. I was actually surprised to learn she preexisted.

(shrug) I liked her. I tend to like characters that act as foils to our mains especially in the context of social/conversational norms. I don't need them to provide utilitarian or didactic functionality. Probably why I like Mid so much.
I mean, Smasher hates everything. No surprise that he hates Kyrie as well.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Johnny is the universe's butt monkey. I never got the impression they wanted us to laugh AT Kyrie, they just want people to think she's cute and spunky.

It would be infinitely funnier if Kyrie kept getting dumped on by the universe every time she was on screen, like Gil from the Simpsons. That would actually be comedy.
She is literally cornered by Shinra and her own grandma over her misdeeds -- she is most definitely a Johnny, lol. Fun character.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who didn't explore much of compilation until after I played FF7R1, I actually thought she was an original character to that game and it felt completely organic with no feel of pre-existing material weight to it.
Im… just now finding out that they are lol. I haven't played the compilation except a bit of CC and watched AC.

This feels like Mandela effect, how have I not known this for 3+ years of FF7R discussion lmao

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
I remember an interview for Remake, where Nomura said there would be no Compilation characters... because The Kids are Alright isn't Compilation... somehow. I don't think I ever understood what the qualifier was there. Clearly the Compilation is more than just games, because of Advent Children. You also couldn't possibly say that the On the Way to a Smile short stories that were collected in Novella form aren't Compilation- because they directly tie into AC. Anyway, the books are good.

I'm not surprised the hooded figure is going to end up being Glenn. It seemed pretty obvious- and that one Ever Crisis trailer pretty clearly shows him alive around CC's time as some kinda vagabond harassing Sephiroth. I do wonder what that means for The First Soldier's story pacing. By February, will it be finished? Or just at a point where they can harness the mystery behind his appearance and their relationship. Probably the latter. I'm not very far into FS but so far Glenn seems like just another SOLDIER playing hero. I doubt it will go far beyond that but we'll see. I think everything will ride on his interactions with Young (and soon older) Seph specifically.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy brain moment: Zack's party in the alt timeline will include Kyrie as the Yuffie equivalent. Maybe she can use her poofy hat as a weapon!

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
Remake was my first experience with FFVII, so I didn't notice Kyrie, Leslie, Roche, etc. being out of place. If I hadn't played the OG before watching Dirge/playing Integrade I'm sure I'd think Deepground fit in perfectly too.

... Genesis would seem weird no matter what through.

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
I've wait so long... SO LONG for you to return to form with this type of exploration in your Final Fantasy games, Square. You have no idea...

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Intermission today and the ending teases for Rebirth did not help to make this wait any easier. Great DLC, though.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

I will confidently predict that the only people who think she's shoehorned in are people bringing subjective baggage into it from already knowing who she is and that almost any player who hasn't read TKAA wouldn't think she's any different from Roche or Madam M.

I had no idea she was from the Compilation, so yeah, +1. When I first saw her I thought she might have been a P4G reference, actually.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Did the people here who hate compilation stuff have an issue with the stuff in Intergrade?

I haven't played DOC, but I thought it made for a cool boss fight and awesome atmosphere. Didn't feel super out of place either

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Did the people here who hate compilation stuff have an issue with the stuff in Intergrade?

I haven't played DOC, but I thought it made for a cool boss fight and awesome atmosphere. Didn't feel super out of place either
Yeah, I like how they handled the Deepground stuff in Episode Intermission. Just more mad science freaks. Fits in with all the other Hojo stuff.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Dirge in general is like the one piece of the Compilation that its almost universally hated.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
What's the name of the song that plays in that Crisis Core scene? It's beautiful. 😊
The Price of Freedom

So what's Glenn's story? Does he have some beef with Sephiroth?
I'm not super deep into it yet, and the story is just developing, but Glenn seems to be a fairly headstrong dimwit who is part of a special proto-unit of SOLDIER. Class P0 have no genetic enhancements so Glenn does get pretty shitty when young super soldier Sephiroth shows up and assumes command of his unit. That said, a new update is dropping and they had teased a scene of Glenn hugging Sephiroth. He's not like Zack in the sense that he doesn't really care for Shinra or SOLDIER pride stuff. He's a soldier who wants to show his stuff, put the work in, and earn money to help his grandma. That said, he does meet up with older Sephiroth in an Ever Crisis trailer (where they fight), and they do pull the 'Hero' card.

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
Technically Kyrie isn't from the Compilation of FFVII, which was a specific project at a specific time. She's from a more recent novel whose subtitle is Final Fantasy VII Gaiden ("Lateral Biography" in English)

JasperMyst