Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
48784831786_91928afb8a_h.jpg

Lots of peeps were wondering if the materia linking system was still in.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I hoped so, the crazy combinations you could discover in the original was my fav part about the combat mechanics.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never found any use for elemental attacks in the original game, hopefully they've made it more useful in the remake.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks at Cloud's sword full of ice in the image. I love it.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
The screen was paused in the train graveyard right? I can't recall anywhere else in the original where you were around train tracks outside of the very opening, but that was alongside of a train and not 1 hour in, of course.

Maybe it's a new area within the Shin-Ra bombing, since the TGS demo had about an hour logged in it.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Maybe? Maybe not.

Think about how often characters attack now, compared to the original. Barret alone is shooting like 15 bullets per "attack" animation.
Well against an enemy neutral to the element, it is a slight buff in damage compared to the original. However, against enemies weak to the element, going from +100% damage to +4% or so damage is a pretty massive nerf. If the multiplier for elemental damage multiplication is still done after the attack vs defense calculation, then it shouldn't matter how many attacks are made by the character either.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Well against an enemy neutral to the element, it is a slight buff in damage compared to the original. However, against enemies weak to the element, going from +100% damage to +4% or so damage is a pretty massive nerf. If the multiplier for elemental damage multiplication is still done after the attack vs defense calculation, then it shouldn't matter how many attacks are made by the character either.
Isn't it linked to the magic materia? So the ice materia would go from 100% to 102-104-105% in this case when the elemental materia is equipped?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
If you attack 30 times per 30 seconds vs. attacking once or twice in that same timeframe, of course the number of attacks matters. Ultimately you might still be essentially making as much extra damage.

+ maybe elemental attacks will help grow the stagger meter faster when used against the right enemies and lead to a lot more damage in the longer term that way too.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Isn't it linked to the magic materia? So the ice materia would go from 100% to 102-104-105% in this case when the elemental materia is equipped?
No, this is a materia from the original game. What it does is change the element of the character's equipped weapon to match that of the linked materia, which in this case is ice. In the original game, this let you deal double damage to targets weak to ice with your sword attacks. In the remake, it instead seems to give additional attack power that matches the linked element, kind of like the En- spells from FFXI.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't remember the percentages in the original game, but base-level elemental materia reducing the linked element's damage by 50% seems pretty strong for boss fights where you know the element is coming.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
So can you link materia to accessories now or are summons just stored separately?
Summons are probably one per character given what we've seen so far. Which given the fact that this is just Midgar and at max getting 5 party members makes sense, despite the fact that there weren't any summons if I recall correctly until you get ChocoMog at the Chocobo Ranch outside of Midgar. They're clearly moving it all around.

The "armor/accessory" materia binding was always there. Summons are probably their own equips now.

on the subject of what's shown it looks like despite still having Elemental and stuff we're looking at probably Diablo level loot/statistic improvements across the board, mostly retaining to minor attack increases and stuff. Since counter and other automated systems are gone I'm still curious what they're going to do to make this system engaging seeing as 4% buff isn't much, and Elemental example here looks like aside from defense isn't worth the grinding for AP. We'll see though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Summons are probably one per character given what we've seen so far. Which given the fact that this is just Midgar and at max getting 5 party members makes sense, despite the fact that there weren't any summons if I recall correctly until you get ChocoMog at the Chocobo Ranch outside of Midgar. They're clearly moving it all around.

The "armor/accessory" materia binding was always there. Summons are probably their own equips now.

on the subject of what's shown it looks like despite still having Elemental and stuff we're looking at probably Diablo level loot/statistic improvements across the board, mostly retaining to minor attack increases and stuff. Since counter and other automated systems are gone I'm still curious what they're going to do to make this system engaging seeing as 4% buff isn't much, and Elemental example here looks like aside from defense isn't worth the grinding for AP. We'll see though.

It's gonna be real weird if yellow Command materia don't make a comeback.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's gonna be real weird if yellow Command materia don't make a comeback.
Not having Enemy Skill will be a deal breaker for me personally. Enemy Skill hunting was one of my favorite parts of the game, but I don't even know how Mimic would work here and 4x cut is useless now too. There's just so much you can't do with Materia in the new system :/

Having to "manipulate" a bad guy, have him cast a skill Big Guard on my party so I learn it was some galaxy brain shit that I never would have figured out as a kid without a guide.

EDIT: To add to this the best thing I can think of (despite it being mechanically inferior to me personally) is that they will begin to implement builds like "regaining MP on attacks" and other such mechanics that fit the action environment and/or ATB generation but even so it's not as cool as having a guy attack my Cid who covers Tifa and then counter attacks 8 times or having Tifa Autosummon Phoenix when she dies bringing everyone back to life.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing to add to your long list of disappointments, Smasher. ;)

To be fair, having access to a huge selection of summons and abilities all at once is one of the benefits of a turn-based combat system. Diluting that down to one summon at a time (and thus only being able to exploit one elemental weakness at a time) is not exactly a great change. Maybe you get more summon slots as you level up?

Not having Enemy Skill will be a deal breaker for me personally. Enemy Skill hunting was one of my favorite parts of the game, but I don't even know how Mimic would work here and 4x cut is useless now too. There's just so much you can't do with Materia in the new system :/

Having to "manipulate" a bad guy, have him cast a skill Big Guard on my party so I learn it was some galaxy brain shit that I never would have figured out as a kid without a guide.

Yup. Enemy Skill is a big deal, as are the abilities that completely change the way your basic attacks work. Obviously 4x Cut won't really be needed in an action combat system but things like Flash are likely just gone.

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019

Armour had materia slots but accessories never did. You're likely right about the character limit given that we've already been told the Remake caps summon usage. Still, equipment slots provided a reason for why materia is equipped the way it is. I wonder if in the new game whether they'll explain why summon materia is now treated differently. They could suggest that summon materia are a larger size from other materia and needs to be stored on person in a different manner.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious how they'll handle the range of materia and equipment available in each episode.

In the original you get very few things by the time you've left Midgar - no summons, only basic magic and skills, just one new weapon for each character... This game is clearly expanding how much you'll get in Midgar, but how far are they going to go with that, and then what will they have left for the rest of the world?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
To be fair, having access to a huge selection of summons and abilities all at once is one of the benefits of a turn-based combat system. Diluting that down to one summon at a time (and thus only being able to exploit one elemental weakness at a time) is not exactly a great change. Maybe you get more summon slots as you level up?

Yup. Enemy Skill is a big deal, as are the abilities that completely change the way your basic attacks work. Obviously 4x Cut won't really be needed in an action combat system but things like Flash are likely just gone.
Yeah the problem with the popularity of KH and FFXV's systems is that they provide very little in the ways of experimentation versus a strategy system or turn based, so they have to do SOMETHING to make up for that deficit in a remake of a game that had such an open ended system like Materia was.

When you had a system that could allow a character to counter like 7 times or summon upon death, or something like that the only real place for materia in the system currently is buffing what currently exists.

So we're most likely looking at combos of
-Haste boosts/Damage quickening
-MP generating upon attacks and the like
- ATB generation

That's the only stuff that really fits with this new system as magic is linked to ATB and therefore being "automatic" is probably out of the cards and the way the system currently exists doesn't really leave room for as much variety to the system. Here's hoping SOMETHING comes to make up for that because it's still inferior to me as it currently exists.

Armour had materia slots but accessories never did. You're likely right about the character limit given that we've already been told the Remake caps summon usage. Still, equipment slots provided a reason for why materia is equipped the way it is. I wonder if in the new game whether they'll explain why summon materia is now treated differently. They could suggest that summon materia are a larger size from other materia and needs to be stored on person in a different manner.
Right it was armor before but now it's accessories. -shrug- Most likely to do with the fact that armor kind of makes no sense in the new system given the lack of soaking damage and emphasis on action/dodging/etc. They clearly still have status ailments and stuff so things like Ribbon and other elemental bangles will still be relevant at least.

Limiting summons makes sense in their new system even if I hate the new system. "Fighting alongside summons" imo is inferior to having an awesome spectacle showcase mid fight and makes me wonder how on earth they'll scale this with things like Alexander or god forbid Knights of the Round.

I mean we're lucky to get anything more than possibly Shiva/Ifrit and the preorder ones in this part 1 because I can't think of why they'd have things like Leviathan and others in this game, so it really makes me wonder why you even have summon slots like this on each character unless they fill the gaps with really dumb/new summons like the chocobo baby and cactuar they seem to be using as preorder incentives. We'll see though.

I'm less worried about summoning and more worried about how Materia could literally just be the same incremental negligible stat increases we see in every "RPG" system tacked onto action combat like God of War and the like.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the problem with the popularity of KH and FFXV's systems is that they provide very little in the ways of experimentation versus a strategy system or turn based, so they have to do SOMETHING to make up for that deficit in a remake of a game that had such an open ended system like Materia was.

When you had a system that could allow a character to counter like 7 times or summon upon death, or something like that the only real place for materia in the system currently is buffing what currently exists.

- ATB generation

That's the only stuff that really fits with this new system as magic is linked to ATB and therefore being "automatic" is probably out of the cards and the way the system currently exists doesn't really leave room for as much variety to the system. Here's hoping SOMETHING comes to make up for that because it's still inferior to me as it currently exists.

Yeah. It's kind of the same problem Crisis Core had. The number of truly unique command materia was fairly low and almost everything was just incremental upgrades on stuff that already existed.

KH: Birth by Sleep's command system was good at giving players a lot of flexibility and customization, but nothing else in the Square Enix action-RPG front has ever come close to that.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah. It's kind of the same problem Crisis Core had. The number of truly unique command materia was fairly low and almost everything was just incremental upgrades on stuff that already existed.

KH: Birth by Sleep's command system was good at giving players a lot of flexibility and customization, but nothing else in the Square Enix action-RPG front has ever come close to that.
Birth By Sleep is probably still my favorite incarnation of the KH style combat personally, so I agree there.

Crisis Core had SOME interesting things but we're still looking at this being part 1 out of ???? so we still have to figure out how they're even going to balance it knowing that players will either have to start over next game or somehow transfer, meaning things will have to be capped like the 4 .hack ps2 games.

"ATB on hit"
"MP on hit"
"Drain" and other things are probably going to be the meta for this game, and if the focus is going to be on attacking then we're looking at probably very little incentive to invest time into levelling materia.

People like to say you could just mash attack in the original, and it's not wrong, but I see nothing here that incentivizes not just using attacks and limit breaks minus what looked to be a lightning bolt to break the Aeris CC in the Aps fight. But that could have just been a dps check of sorts given the small circle indicator around Aeris when she was downed. Who knows.

If we don't have Steal and other things in the game though and/or if they make things like Steal tied to ATB it almost nullifies their usefulness because now you're looking at a resource generation to execute basic commands versus being part of characters kits, which means that people are almost always going to defer to greater damage dealing for boss fights and/or MAYBE waste a turn or two on Stealing.

EDIT: Unless they make steal/mug something like it gets added to normal attacks if it's tied to weapons, which could be interesting.

That combined with the lack of a gambit system like 12 makes certain commands and strategies kind of....nonexistent in this system. Which is a damn shame.

the game was so easy you didn't really need to use it.... better not be the case here....
Yeah the hope is you make the combat so that you need to use materia since it's action based meaning you're basically just chipping away and using attacks whenever they're off cooldown in this current system. Even if HP is buffed for enemies though a 5% increase in elemental damage will probably not be a huge difference from what I can tell with a slow attacker like Cloud. But again, it's all theoretical right now. Just because someone else didn't use it though doesn't mean it wasn't awesome to utilize in the original. You could expedite and/or break some fights with it.

The screen was paused in the train graveyard right? I can't recall anywhere else in the original where you were around train tracks outside of the very opening, but that was alongside of a train and not 1 hour in, of course.

Maybe it's a new area within the Shin-Ra bombing, since the TGS demo had about an hour logged in it.
It looks like more of the subway tunnels next to the area when they hop off the train and explore on the way to sneaking into the second reactor fight with airbuster. Which makes sense given what they've shown thus far. Because there's a ceiling it's most likely the area in the beginning after the alarms go off on the train and you can run south and grind for fights against some shinra troops. (still don't know why that was there)

Last edited:

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Maybe? Maybe not.

Think about how often characters attack now, compared to the original. Barret alone is shooting like 15 bullets per "attack" animation.

If this works the way I think it does , +1% - +5% on all attacks, and presumably +2% - +10% if you hit a weakness. Versus +100% on weakness, straight up. The first is a thing I personally would probably never use and the second is OP as hell if you're willing to check for weakness. Once thing I like about FF is the big chunky damage modifiers. Lots of ways to double your damage in most FF games.

Number of hits shouldn't really matter, since it's a percentage. But I guess if you are doing 1 damage per hit and rounding up to 1 additional damage that's better overall, heh.

They might have done this to emphasize magic more.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like more of the subway tunnels next to the area when they hop off the train and explore on the way to sneaking into the second reactor fight with airbuster. Which makes sense given what they've shown thus far. Because there's a ceiling it's most likely the area in the beginning after the alarms go off on the train and you can run south and grind for fights against some shinra troops. (still don't know why that was there)
Oh yeah! I forgot about that area!

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
They might have done this to emphasize magic more.
With this system, and making it where Cloud can't (from what we've seen in the reactor fight) jump, is that they seem to be trying to make you want to play certain characters to deal with certain scenarios. So airborne enemies being taken care of with Vincent/Barrett. In theory this works, but if they make it where you can use Materia to bypass "Having" to have those characters it would technically provide more team build variety.

The problem with this is that ATB is either generated slowly on its own (can't remember) or only when hits are made. So if Cloud was solo against a flying enemy what is the recourse? Stand there and wait for the ATB so you can use a spell?

So either they bring back the aerial combo they had before (or lock it behind MAteria which I'm not a fan of) in the previous trailer, or they make a system that makes you have to have certain people in your party, which shits on team variety imo.

So emphasizing magic sounds fine if there's a way around the fact some enemies are designed (seemingly) in mind with weapon weaknesses and such. Which again I think is a detriment to the action system they're trying to create.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017

I'm guessing that, at the very least, we'll get ways to fill the summon gauge faster as the game goes on. It wasn't always the smartest idea to load everyone down with materia to take advantage of elemental weaknesses, given that materia affected stats; it was always about balancing the hit to physical attack and HP, plus summons could only be used a specific amount of times during battles. 1 summon slot is probably how they're balancing it now that the combat is more active, even with the classic mode.

- ATB generation

We still have the ATB menu, though--materia could easily add new commands (Deathblow, for instance), enable counterattacks upon blocking an enemy attack, fill up the summon gauge upon death, or lead into combos/enable multiple attacks at once (or at least cause the same amount of damage that multiple attacks would deal).