• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017

That is around 60,000 sold physical

Given COVID issues & as no shops are open I expect digital to be huge with this one and will hopefully make up foreground 70% of sales?

Potentially the digital launch could even be record breaking?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
To be expected with COVID. We will see digital numbers at some point I take it?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This really is the worst possible time to release a game like this, so I'm not entirely surprised the sales dropped off the way they did. I bet a lot of people did buy digital.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I've long stopped to see UK physical charts as an indicator for anything. It doesn't even need a pandemic for this.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised at that number TBH. Start of the year I'd have thought it was going to be the biggest opening of the year pre-TLOU2. Not even close is ultimately the reality. Though a lot has changed since then obviously.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was pretty much sold out everywhere in the UK, as anyone trying to get an early copy knows.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was on the fence about switching to digital before ShopTo sent me my order a week early, so yeah, I imagine a lot of people pulled the trigger on that

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
"with digital, things might be very different" seems like a bit of an understatement

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
There are literally no stores open that will sell it physical in the UK.

Supermarkets aren't taking stock of new physical media products at the moment and the typical Game, Smyths etc are all closed. Maybe a handful of Argos stores within Sainsbury's that are still operating for collection only? This will literally all be from online delivery with zero typical brick and mortar footfall.

Trying to compare sales of any multimedia product during a global pandemic with the entire country on lockdown is absolutely stupid.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
And most of retailers are sold out, looks like shipments might have not been huge due to the pandemic

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Digital is going to increase but there's going to be people who won't transfer over so it's very possible overall sales are depressed.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Yeah this situation will only lead to the shift towards digital to occur sooner

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely useless data comparing a multiplat game from 3 years ago. When digital is already on par with (if not overtaken) physical. That and with Corona around it's probably way, way more.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Thats to be expected. I shifted to digital since it's not an essential delivery and I imagine a good chunk of other people in the UK did as well.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Do we know when these numbers were taken? I mean, people started getting the game around April 2nd/3rd and throughout the week before the official launch date.

But yeah, regardless covid-19 would definitely have had an effect on numbers, lowering physical sales and probably increasing digital. I'm really hoping the game can continue to do well as it would really be a shame if the game didn't do the numbers Square was expecting because of the current situation.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Knowing SE they usually share launch shipments, so we should know more details soonish.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That is around 60,000 sold physical

Given COVID issues & as no shops are open I expect digital to be huge with this one and will hopefully make up foreground 70% of sales?

Potentially the digital launch could even be record breaking?

Digital is priced £60 vs the £40 it was widely available online retail.

Paying an extra 50% is a big ask, especially with so many jobs at risk.

Knightsoftheround

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 7, 2020
Physical copies were sold out absolutely everywhere so this is more of an indication that SE didn't ship as many due to Corona. Digital will be big and physical will sell steadily over time.

If I was SE I wouldn't put a discount on the game for a while.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Where's this coming from? Because my local ASDA definitely is. I was super pissed when I saw RE3 was £39 when I paid amazon £50 as I didn't think anywhere would be selling physical.

I guess it's up and down and depending on the store but I've been told that, as a rule as of a few weeks ago, supermarkets weren't taking in any stock of entertainment stuff and the majority of entertainments staff had been moved to essential roles elsewhere in the store for demand. I haven't been to an Asda during lockdown but my Morrison's store near me has zero entertainments stuff in. They've turned that whole aisle into fenced off queues so people can queue up two meters apart.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
As others have mentioned, we are in unprecedented times, and we don't really know how it impacts new releases. Will it boost digital to 70%+? It remains to be seen. I did expect FFVIIR to outsell FFXV, we'll see if that happens.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Digital is going to increase but there's going to be people who won't transfer over so it's very possible overall sales are depressed.

Eh, it wont be that many. Due to it beimg a pandemic a lot of the staunch physical people are going to either forego gaming as a whole or they will just fold and buy some digital games until this thing settles. The vast majority of buyers wont skip a game in this circumstance.

Digital will be over half for this title. I have little doubt.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digital is clearly going to be much bigger than usual, but it's still likely going to be an overall decline from FFXV.

Which was to be expected tbh. It's releasing on a single platform vs two and it's releasing very late in the gen, while XV released at its peak.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what SE expects the game to make, if they expected it to do better or worse than XV before COVID and all that