The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should we temper our expectations for FFXVI? Everyone is chuffed that Yoshida is involved but let's not forget he is only producer not director. The director for FFXVI is still unproven at this time no?

Hum, it's possible. But Yoshida is the one always teasing FF XVI info. I bet he has a really big involvement in the game.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yoshida has a great track record with project management. I wouldn't be surprised if it made a 2021 release.

None of this is bad, but aren't we getting ahead of ourselves in terms of hype and expecations? For all we know, FFXVI could be similar in scale to God of War or FF7R (which isn't a bad thing, either).

Lemme dream, i'm just throwing in thoughts I had with XV in its marketing. My hope is that they will execute a world better and towns. The map and kingdom information thus far has me optimistic :P

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
My predictions for the next few mainline FF releases:

FF VII Remake PC/PS5 enhanced edition - April 2021 (could very well be March as that was the original planned release date and therefore end of Sony exclusivity deal).

FF XIV 6.0 - September 2021

FF XVI - March/April 2022.

regardless of how accurate or inaccurate I am, just based solely off the confirmed stuff and the people behind them, it is no doubt a good time to be a Final Fantasy fan.

Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy XVI are going to be directly connected somehow, I have a gut feeling.

Nah. This would be corny as hell and as someone who's been following the man since 2012 there's no world I see Yoshi P agreeing with a decision like this.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
It's very exciting to see. 6.0 has some work to do to keep the game fresh (although Shadowbringers has been such a fantastic expansion, some small changes in the formula would be appreciated) and Shadowland's success with end game content this time around (i.e Torghast, Mythic dungeons) can serve as a framework for the FFXIV to make content last longer or at least varied.

As for XVI, I would be shocked (and delighted) if they make a late November 2021 release date but I agree it likely is q1 2022. A big unknown is when FF7R Part 2 is going to be shown off and whether they will try to have releases of the remake every 2 years.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It's very exciting to see. 6.0 has some work to do to keep the game fresh (although Shadowbringers has been such a fantastic expansion, some small changes in the formula would be appreciated) and Shadowland's success with end game content this time around (i.e Torghast, Mythic dungeons) can serve as a framework for the FFXIV to make content last longer or at least varied.

Whatever they do, I hope it continues to be casual based content. I never ended up doing things like Mythic dungeons in WOW because the expectations within it are just too different and it's built around a much different group of standards. But I do interact with most of FFXIVs content, with content like Eureka being some of my favorite in game and Bozja.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever they do, I hope it continues to be casual based content. I never ended up doing things like Mythic dungeons in WOW because the expectations within it are just too different and it's built around a much different group of standards. But I do interact with most of FFXIVs content, with content like Eureka being some of my favorite in game and Bozja.

I agree there. I do like the Mythic idea though because it keeps dungeons fresh and relevant, whereas now, most dungeons become forgotten as soon as their turn on the extreme roulettte is done. I do think another option to gain ilevelmax-10 ilevel gear outside of purchasing with tomestones would be a good start to give you an option while working toward savage gear. Maybe make that gear upgradeable too with items from the new content or from savage.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Even if XVI comes out 2022, I'll at least still have the new XIV to keep me busy. I'm happy.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I think the official art looks amazing but when I've seen it translated to the game I'm just not happy. Especially compared to FFXIV. And I'm not going to lie, I love the mix of medieval, scifi, fantasy and everything else within FFXIV. I'm not sure FFXVI is going to be the kind of game where I fly a mech!
I don't like that Final Fantasy is an action series now. That's why I haven't played XV. I want to play Final Fantasy, not Devil May Cry.

I do understand that. I think stuff like XII, VII remake and stuff should be the largest extreme with that. FFXVI is... really, really action game. We're closer to Dragons Dogma, by the looks of it.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think the official art looks amazing but when I've seen it translated to the game I'm just not happy. Especially compared to FFXIV. And I'm not going to lie, I love the mix of medieval, scifi, fantasy and everything else within FFXIV. I'm not sure FFXVI is going to be the kind of game where I fly a mech!

I believe Yoshi-P specifically said when asked years ago what he would do for a FF16, that it would scale back a lot of the fantasy sci-fi tech.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Yoshi-P specifically said when asked years ago what he would do for a FF16, that it would scale back a lot of the fantasy sci-fi tech.

Yeah, I definitely know we're not going to. Which you know is a bit disappointing. I'm not a huge fan of medieval settings. At least not straight medieval. I like that games like FFIX and FFVI have combinations of settings.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Yoshi P is already overworked. Excited for both 6.0 and XVI but give this man a break. Lol

JP20130219_1.jpg

Last edited:

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
The feeing of glee that I had while playing PS5 on Christmas was amazing. Astro bot is amazing! But I had a whoa moment when I went to the PSN and saw the coming soon games and saw FFXVI there. I had a "this is the future" moment.

Oct 31, 2017
That really doesn't mean anything. Final Fantasy IV, IX, XIII, and Type-0 call their summons eidolons, but that doesn't make them connected to each other.

That's even worse.

is it though

I mean I don't mean to be rude but if you can't differentiate Dark Souls from Devil May Cry-like combat then it just seems like you don't have much experience with action combat

I mean if you just hate ARPG gameplay in general that's one thing but I don't see how fast paced action combat can't mean stuff like customization and party members and etc etc

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Should we temper our expectations for FFXVI? Everyone is chuffed that Yoshida is involved but let's not forget he is only producer not director. The director for FFXVI is still unproven at this time no?

The director for XVI is not unproven. Where is that coming from?

He is a veteran at Square (almost 30 years with the company) and had directorial roles with FFXIV, directed The Last Remnant, was involved in FFXI and contributed a bunch to the SaGa series before that.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
The director for XVI is not unproven. Where is that coming from?

He is a veteran at Square (almost 30 years with the company) and had directorial roles with FFXIV, directed The Last Remnant, was involved in FFXI and contributed a bunch to the SaGa series before that.

Having just finished The Last Remnant, big yikes, truly horrible game but that also had Kawazu's gambling addicted fingers on it. I don't really care much about who's directing what though, good directors have made bad games and vice versa, and I'm only familiar with this director's work on TLR (a full 12 years ago) so it's not enough to judge him on.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Having just finished The Last Remnant, big yikes, truly horrible game but that also had Kawazu's gambling addicted fingers on it. I don't really care much about who's directing what though, good directors have made bad games and vice versa, and I'm only familiar with this director's work on TLR (a full 12 years ago) so it's not enough to judge him on.

His most recent position is Heavensward assistant director. Given Yoshi-P and SE choose him to handle XVI I tust them after that xpac.

I think for Stormblood he was already only special thanks?

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to hear more about FFXVI. It's one of my most anticipated FF in a LONG TIME. Single-player, offline, medieval-fantasy FF in HD... my dream has finally come true! That and more info about new characters, new Eikons, and the mysterious world that is Valisthea. I wanna see chocobo travel (main character riding around), maybe even boat/ship travel and some sort of airship. More of this cool "Final Fantasy AS FUCK" location:
Final-Fantasy-XVI-keyart-01.jpg
yes Yes and YES

FF16 is sounding like the FF I wanted for years!

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
NG is PSO3 in everything but name. Nothing of value even carries over. It's not a modernization, but a sequel. 14 is far far too successful for that, and being sub based, requires a strict content pipeline and production to keep numbers high that a reinvestment doesn't make financial sense.
All cosmetics carry over, so no, this is incorrect. Weapons also carry over, but likely don't have the same power and functions. As does premium currencies, friends, and alliance (team in JP). Furthermore you can move your character back-and-forth between pso2 and NGS seamlessly. While yes it is practically PSO3 in all but name, to think it is completely divorced from PSO2 is factually wrong.

They are absolutely capable of dedicating an additional team and investing resources into the game. It's just a matter of if they think it's necessary or profitable.

I would think if they want a proper PS5 release of FFXIV it would be in their interests to do so (the game currently runs on ps5 using backwards compatibility).

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
Well, it will be delayed no doubt, but every expansion has landed around late June or Early July.

I could see it being pushed into August, maybe early September. Cause obviously they've been working on the expansion at the same time as all of the patches.

With Covid, the patches has been delayed by 2.5 months. So new expansion would be effected the same way. September release date will be the earliest for 6.0, early October might be possible too.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like that Final Fantasy is an action series now. That's why I haven't played XV. I want to play Final Fantasy, not Devil May Cry.

I do understand that. I think stuff like XII, VII remake and stuff should be the largest extreme with that. FFXVI is... really, really action game. We're closer to Dragons Dogma, by the looks of it.
I cant agree shit looks tight

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Really wonder what their XVI marketing plan will be and when we'll see it next.

I hope it's similar to FF VII Remake's, where S-E dropped trailers, screenshots and info when they felt like and not only during a major event or stream.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Yeah, this is my big concern, and it should be everybody's. Takai is massively unproven, and it's the reason they're pushing Yoshi Ps involvement.

Still...unproven doesn't mean bad. Just unproven.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is my big concern, and it should be everybody's. Takai is massively unproven, and it's the reason they're pushing Yoshi Ps involvement.

Still...unproven doesn't mean bad. Just unproven.

He assisted in directing Heavensward. You know, one of the best FF games of all time. So...

Not really unproven.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Assisting directing ARR and Heavensward are in no way proof that the guy can manage lead Directorial duties on a mainline single player FF.

I'd trust him over others at SE anyhow, with the exception of Yoshi-P himself.

After all, you don't go from being assistant director to main director if your work didn't show in the final product. Clearly they believe what he brought to Heavensward was good enough to be 16's director. Otherwise they'd gotten someone else.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After all, you don't go from being assistant director to main director if your work didn't show in the final product. Clearly they believe what he brought to Heavensward was good enough to be 16's director. Otherwise they'd gotten someone else.
This...logic has already been shown not to mean anything at SE if you look at some of the directors of recent games who rose up similarly. People should just wait until the game is out and let his own work speak for itself.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
Any SE nerds who know what kind of engine they're likely to make FFXVI with? It's a far cry from FFVIIR's Unreal Engine, which is fine since it seems to be a very different visual style, but I also don't know how much they share a graphics engine across games. The footage looked a little rough, but it's hard to know whether to make anything of it given how it's still got some time to go before release.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
The entire franchise is riding on his back, I can't imagine the immense pressure. I wouldn't be surprised to see a meteoric rise in the ranks for him if XVI is a success.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they saw what SEGA is doing with PSO2: NGS and have thought "maybe it's time to modernize our game a bit." (wishful thinking)

Regardless I'm looking forward to both XIV 6.0 and XVI. I trust yoship to deliver on both, and Shadowbringers has been a great experience from launch to the current raid tier.
Would not be something that would happen with 6.X series at least

But i do think when they want to finally move on from the current characters and stories, this is the way to go. Make sequel in a sense. On one of the other shards or years in the future

Dunno when ffxiv will end but they did say 6.x wont be the end.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Any SE nerds who know what kind of engine they're likely to make FFXVI with? It's a far cry from FFVIIR's Unreal Engine, which is fine since it seems to be a very different visual style, but I also don't know how much they share a graphics engine across games. The footage looked a little rough, but it's hard to know whether to make anything of it given how it's still got some time to go before release.

The impression I had is that their two primary engines for new game development would be Luminous and Unreal. Luminous was going to be used by games made by Luminous Productions (e.g. Project Athia), and UE by everything else. I don't have a source on that so it could be wrong, would love to hear someone else chime in on that.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
All cosmetics carry over, so no, this is incorrect. Weapons also carry over, but likely don't have the same power and functions. As does premium currencies, friends, and alliance (team in JP). Furthermore you can move your character back-and-forth between pso2 and NGS seamlessly. While yes it is practically PSO3 in all but name, to think it is completely divorced from PSO2 is factually wrong.

They are absolutely capable of dedicating an additional team and investing resources into the game. It's just a matter of if they think it's necessary or profitable.

I would think if they want a proper PS5 release of FFXIV it would be in their interests to do so (the game currently runs on ps5 using backwards compatibility).
From what I've heard the ps5 announcement was supposed to be a North American fanfest reveal originally so chances are it's gonna be in February. Gonna be a crazy year

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Would not be something that would happen with 6.X series at least

But i do think when they want to finally move on from the current characters and stories, this is the way to go. Make sequel in a sense. On one of the other shards or years in the future

Dunno when ffxiv will end but they did say 6.x wont be the end.
I remember in Noclip documentary of FFXIV ARR, Yoshi-P said he planned to direct it for another 3 to 4 expansions. 6.0 will be the 4th expansion and seems to be teasing "the end". So, I'm thinking he'll be out after 6.x

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017

As for XVI, I would be shocked (and delighted) if they make a late November 2021 release date but I agree it likely is q1 2022. A big unknown is when FF7R Part 2 is going to be shown off and whether they will try to have releases of the remake every 2 years.
2 years between remake entries would be great but they already said they don't expect the next part to be any faster to develop than the first part. It would be cool to get a new mainline update or new title every year if they manage to do a 14 update in 2021, XVI in 2022, and Remake Pt 2 in 2023. One can only wish....

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
2 years between remake entries would be great but they already said they don't expect the next part to be any faster to develop than the first part. It would be cool to get a new mainline update or new title every year if they manage to do a 14 update in 2021, XVI in 2022, and Remake Pt 2 in 2023. One can only wish....
Well VII Remake only took 3 years from when they rebooted development, so 2023 is not that outlandish.