• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
Yeah, they butchered my middy. I just hope they fix this shit, because this is unacceptable. My character looks like a totally different person now.

yZdPk5Q.jpeg

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The eyebrows are definitely off, way thinner. Not sure if it's them actually being thinner or something about how pale hair is blending. Otherwise, not seeing much difference.

I saw that too but kind of write it off as the look is still there. I read about how some light hair color beards basically disappear because the fake depth and shadows are no longer part of the texture which feels like what's at play here.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I saw that too but kind of write it off as the look is still there. I read about how some light hair color beards basically disappear because the fake depth and shadows are no longer part of the texture which feels like what's at play here.

Yeah, I was thinking about the same white beard issue, which would be a really funny issue to have slipped past them given how many white-haired NPCs they have

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The DLSS option really makes no damn sense. Taking a look with DLSSTweaks, the benchmark always has a dynamic resolution that fluctuates all over the place, even when you set it to only trigger at 30 FPS and it never goes that low. Forcing DLAA shows that DLSS introduces some temporal artifacts that aren't there with FSR.

yChNOSi.png

Maybe it looks a bit smoother than FSR when you're upscaling? But I am legitimately confused why it was even put in the game when it seemingly just, isn't a good fit, at all.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The DLSS option really makes no damn sense. Taking a look with DLSSTweaks, the benchmark always has a dynamic resolution that fluctuates all over the place, even when you set it to only trigger at 30 FPS and it never goes that low. Forcing DLAA shows that DLSS introduces some temporal artifacts that aren't there with FSR.

yChNOSi.png

Maybe it looks a bit smoother than FSR when you're upscaling? But I am legitimately confused why it was even put in the game when it seemingly just, isn't a good fit, at all.
Heh, that image just screams "late 90's PC game CG," it's a very strange visual effect...

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
A few tweaks. I get that real good glow with her eyes and that hint of orange. Had to darken the make up but sooooooooooo much better. Just need my hairstyle!

nmkl6HD.png

Yeah my Midlander guy looks pretty damn awesome with the upgrades but I need my hair to really see it. I use the classic FF1 "Fighter" hair so it's not an option I could see.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019

yChNOSi.png

Isn't happening for me with forced DLAA and preset F fwiw.
image.png

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I have no idea what DLSS/FSR/dynamic res are supposed to do or supposed to be used for, but I found fsr in the benchmark to be distractingly blurry/grainy. Particularly on the scene with the written grading at the end.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't happening for me with forced DLAA and preset F fwiw.
image.png
Good to know. I wasn't messing with presets that much, wanted some time tonight to actually play something...
You get forcing presets with the Nvidia Profile Manager to work? It didn't seem to trigger for me, though I also didn't mess with it much. I ain't even going to try using DLSSTweaks on the game proper, I'm not getting banned for that.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Good to know. I wasn't messing with presets that much, wanted some time tonight to actually play something...
You get forcing presets with the Nvidia Profile Manager to work? It didn't seem to trigger for me, though I also didn't mess with it much. I ain't even going to try using DLSSTweaks on the game proper, I'm not getting banned for that.
I used dlsstweaks here, didn't try inspector (last I heard you had to force in the global profile but maybe that's not true anymore?). And afaik FFXIV doesn't have anticheat really and you can do whatever you want as long as you aren't like, cheating cheating. I do get the caution however.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

yChNOSi.png

IIRC FF14 doesn't start at max internal resolution for DLSS. It starts super low then slowly climbs up until it reaches an upper bound it seems comfortable. I think it evens out at the end of this scene

EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
Butchered? I keep going back and forth and all I can really notice is the curves of the nose being more defined
I know it's kind of hard to tell from screenshots, but trust me, my character looks totally different. His eyes, jaws, lips and eyebrows are not the same.

Here is a before and after photo to get a better impression of what he used to look like and what he looks like now and why I hate it :

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-aqcbTjG5EeqWRfJ.jpg

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I know it's kind of hard to tell from screenshots, but trust me, my character looks totally different. His eyes, jaws, lips and eyebrows are not the same.

Here is a before and after photo to get a better impression of what he used to look like and what he looks like now and why I hate it :

Outside of lightning changes making the face appear different I honestly dont see much difference. Went back and forth a lot, maybe I am just blind.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017

yeah, i see it, his nose is different and so are the eyes. the face seems to be stretched a bit horizontally.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
A tiny Warrior of Light for the thread. Eye updates are very obvious and make the old ones look downright glassy by comparison, on top of the makeup options being applied a touch more tastefully, although I wouldn't mind getting the color back in my eyebrows. Really love the ear mesh improvements and the brush up of the earrings, too. The lighting update is doing most of the work, though. The softer shadowing's very pretty in good conditions, and they'll probably wind up spending the entire expansion tweaking the settings in every last map in the game.

racial armor finally having textures also helps lol

ff14_graphics_update.jpg
ffxiv_04162024_012053_226.jpg

EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
Outside of lightning changes making the face appear different I honestly dont see much difference. Went back and forth a lot, maybe I am just blind.
It's pretty hard to tell just by looking at screenshots, as I mentione before, but the difference is obvious once you see the character in motion.

Here's a before/after screenshot. His whole face is different and he looks like an old lady in the benchmark.
N1DOQhl.jpeg

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
When I get home, I'll try making a comparison of my WoL between the new and old grafix. But my Roegadyn dude looks pretty much perfect, to my eyes.
How are people getting camera angles that line up so perfectly?

I used dlsstweaks here, didn't try inspector (last I heard you had to force in the global profile but maybe that's not true anymore?). And afaik FFXIV doesn't have anticheat really and you can do whatever you want as long as you aren't like, cheating cheating. I do get the caution however.
It doesn't? Huh... In that case, I might replace the DLSS DLL with 3.7 and have it on preset E globally. I know I heard others saying you don't want to try replacing DLSS DLL's for multiplayer games where it can trip anticheat.

IIRC FF14 doesn't start at max internal resolution for DLSS. It starts super low then slowly climbs up until it reaches an upper bound it seems comfortable. I think it evens out at the end of this scene
Ahhhh, that makes sense, actually...

Why is there no v-sync option for the benchtool?
Because it's a benchmark, and it needs to run at an uncapped framerate to judge your specs properly.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused on why certain things are "disabled" when you select DLSS. Like, why can't I select the AA method, seems it locks it to the TSCMAA without camera jitter - I'm presuming the jitter (whatever that is) wouldn't work with DLSS? But if the camera jitter version is better, why can't I select it with DLSS in the event that I never hit the minimum framerate mark which means (presumably) I'm rendering native resolution and not using DLSS at all?

Also, are the ambient occlusion options actually in best-to-worst order in the settings in people's opinions? I don't really know anything about them.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused on why certain things are "disabled" when you select DLSS. Like, why can't I select the AA method, seems it locks it to the TSCMAA without camera jitter - I'm presuming the jitter (whatever that is) wouldn't work with DLSS? But if the camera jitter version is better, why can't I select it with DLSS in the event that I never hit the minimum framerate mark which means (presumably) I'm rendering native resolution and not using DLSS at all?

Also, are the ambient occlusion options actually in best-to-worst order in the settings in people's opinions? I don't really know anything about them.
DLSS acts as its own anti-aliasing so you cannot stack it. Don't worry about it, DLSS is a much better anti-aliasing solution

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty hard to tell just by looking at screenshots, as I mentione before, but the difference is obvious once you see the character in motion.

Here's a before/after screenshot. His whole face is different and he looks like an old lady in the benchmark.
N1DOQhl.jpeg
I'm sorry I literally can't tell the difference that you're alluding to the point of calling your character "butchered".

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is equally funny and tragic to learn that the benchmark results screen shows less characters and they aren't as happy the worse a system scores. On "slightly low" there's like 8 player characters and they're all kinda bummed, while on extremely high there's a whole crowd and a bunch of minions and everyone is pumped.

You'd think they'd at least go with "people are happy" as long as the game should run lol.

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, they butchered my middy. I just hope they fix this shit, because this is unacceptable. My character looks like a totally different person now.

yZdPk5Q.jpeg

For what it's worth, I think he looks better now, especially the nose, and will probably look better in game. The character creation tool was never good for judging how characters are going to look in the actual game (retainer fantasias are good for that). And the new benchmark has your character making so many weird expressions that aren't currently in the game. Most characters look downright sinister in the opening segment on the boat lol.

It is equally funny and tragic to learn that the benchmark results screen shows less characters and they aren't as happy the worse a system scores. On "slightly low" there's like 8 player characters and they're all kinda bummed, while on extremely high there's a whole crowd and a bunch of minions and everyone is pumped.

You'd think they'd at least go with "people are happy" as long as the game should run lol.

Official benchmark shaming from the devs xD

EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
I'm sorry I literally can't tell the difference that you're alluding to the point of calling your character "butchered".
I've already mentioned this twice before, but you might not be able to tell from screenshot, but it's obvious when you see the character in the benchmark. He looks totally different and not in a good way.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX

On low the character is visibly nervous, and if you score insufficient you actually fall to your knees and the like four people remaining all look concerned for your wellbeing

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm curious if anyone's gotten their hands on the update face mesh from the benchmark. The part of me that's a modeling hobbyist that wonders if some of the issues are due to raising the general polycount and adding additional bones to the faces. Sometimes you can only subdivide so far without having to resculpt, which can lead to inconsistencies. Especially if the original artist isn't the one working on it. Adding additional points of articulation for more detailed animation inherently requires more real estate to actually animate as well.

While this obviously wouldn't lead to all of the changes people have issues with, it inevitably does result in stylistic changes that can be jarring.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
It doesn't? Huh... In that case, I might replace the DLSS DLL with 3.7 and have it on preset E globally. I know I heard others saying you don't want to try replacing DLSS DLL's for multiplayer games where it can trip anticheat.
Yoshi P has publicly taken a stance many years ago that's about as open to using addons and mods as it can be without encouraging/endorsing them. It's basically a "don't get caught doing bad things" policy. Like absolutely no tolerance for harassing people over damage data or anything like that. Graphics stuff isn't even on the radar. If things have changed in the last couple years though, I'd love for someone to correct me.

As others have said, DLSS replaces the antialiasing option. DLSS in this benchmark is dynamic res (starts low, and slowly climbs based on the performance target and headroom of your GPU. The "Always On" option becomes the equivalent of the DLSS performance mode, which is quarter res). It's actually a pretty bad dynamic res system though, and doesn't work with driver vsync at 60hz in my testing (res stays bottomed out even if you hold 60fps). Hopefully it'll work with regular vsync in the full game. Anyway, that's why AA is greyed out, DLSS is already doing it (and it's the best AA option in the game, reconstruction aside).

I'm not really sure why the game has the option to use TSCMAA with and without jitter. Even more confusing is the game makes it seem like TSCMAA without jitter is superior when it's not better on paper or in practice. If you use TSCMAA, make sure you use it with jitter. The jitter forces new subpixel elements to render with subsequent frames, allowing TSCMAA to sample more data resulting in superior AA. It's how just about all TAA methods work and it's critically important to getting good quality from them.

I haven't compared all the AO settings back to back, but GTAO should be the best option. It's the newest technique of the bunch and is the most physically accurate. There's also a chance GTAO runs better than HBAO+, at least in its quality variant. That said, screen space AO (what all of these options are) is inherently kinda hacky and because of that it can largely be a preference thing. I'd say there's a chance some will prefer HBAO+ over GTAO. I highly doubt anybody prefers the strong or light options though, they're really bad.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
The "Always On" option becomes the equivalent of the DLSS performance mode, which is quarter res). It's actually a pretty bad dynamic res system though, and doesn't work with driver vsync at 60hz in my testing (res stays bottomed out even if you hold 60fps). Hopefully it'll work with regular vsync in the full game. Anyway, that's why AA is greyed out, DLSS is already doing it (and it's the best AA option in the game, reconstruction aside).

That's interesting. I presume "Activate when framerate drops below 30fps" should logically be a kind of DLSS quality mode then?

I'm also horrible at pixel peeping so I can't really tell what dynamic res is doing, but given you say there's issues with 60hz vsync and the dynamic res I wonder how it's performing with g-sync on and a sub-100hz framerate cap in the NVCP. I never drop below 60 in the benchmark with my 3080 so I kind of presumed I'm getting native res without any DLSS upscaling but getting the anti-aliasing benefits somehow?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi P has publicly taken a stance many years ago that's about as open to using addons and mods as it can be without encouraging/endorsing them. It's basically a "don't get caught doing bad things" policy. Like absolutely no tolerance for harassing people over damage data or anything like that. Graphics stuff isn't even on the radar. If things have changed in the last couple years though, I'd love for someone to correct me.

I'm not really sure why the game has the option to use TSCMAA with and without jitter. Even more confusing is the game makes it seem like TSCMAA without jitter is superior when it's not better on paper or in practice. If you use TSCMAA, make sure you use it with jitter. The jitter forces new subpixel elements to render with subsequent frames, allowing TSCMAA to sample more data resulting in superior AA. It's how just about all TAA methods work and it's critically important to getting good quality from them.
Noted.

I didn't even notice that there was an option for TAA jitter, but I legitimately appreciate that being here. I can't stand the shimmery look TAA has in a lot of games, and would honestly be kind of peeved if the only improved AA being added with this update had it. It's also probably preferable if you're having to upscale from a really low resolution with FSR, which I wanna guess might be the situation on PS4.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
That's interesting. I presume "Activate when framerate drops below 30fps" should logically be a kind of DLSS quality mode then?

I'm also horrible at pixel peeping so I can't really tell what dynamic res is doing, but given you say there's issues with 60hz vsync and the dynamic res I wonder how it's performing with g-sync on and a sub-100hz framerate cap in the NVCP. I never drop below 60 in the benchmark with my 3080 so I kind of presumed I'm getting native res without any DLSS upscaling but getting the anti-aliasing benefits somehow?
It should, yeah, but it's still frustratingly starting at the near bottom of the range and takes like 10 seconds to climb to native res lol. Suppose that's an extremely minor issue for actual gameplay. It also now has the downside (imo) of using preset C for DLAA when preset F is ideal. Also, the 60 fps target works fine as long as your framerate can climb above 60 fps with vsync. Also also, it works how you'd hope if you use a non-vsync cap at *any* framerate, even below 60 fps.

If you're gonna have the headroom to be at native res most of the time, I'd suggest forcing preset F.
Noted.

I didn't even notice that there was an option for TAA jitter, but I legitimately appreciate that being here. I can't stand the shimmery look TAA has in a lot of games, and would honestly be kind of peeved if the only improved AA being added with this update had it. It's also probably preferable if you're having to upscale from a really low resolution with FSR, which I wanna guess might be the situation on PS4.
You know, fair enough. The TSCMAA without jitter option is comparable to regular SMAA, so it's a good thing to include it. The naming is...very strange though. Even though it's technically using the code path for TSCMAA, they should probably just call it CMAA for users so it's not needlessly confusing. But I do want to stress that that option is basically just "FXAA but it's a little less blurry" lol.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
It should, yeah, but it's still frustratingly starting at the near bottom of the range and takes like 10 seconds to climb to native res lol. Suppose that's an extremely minor issue for actual gameplay. It also now has the downside (imo) of using preset C for DLAA when preset F is ideal. Also, the 60 fps target works fine as long as your framerate can climb above 60 fps with vsync. Also also, it works how you'd hope if you use a non-vsync cap at *any* framerate, even below 60 fps.

If you're gonna have the headroom to be at native res most of the time, I'd suggest forcing preset F.

Yeah, I need to finally start playing around with DLSSTweaks it sounds like.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

yZdPk5Q.jpeg
Butchered? Huh.

Well I can say one thing I've learned from this graphics update, people are deeply particular about their characters' appearances. Any change, real or imagined, is a big deal. I was originally a bit disappointed that the update wasn't more dramatic, but it's making more and more sense why they decided to take such a conservative approach.

MrTharne

May 26, 2023
Butchered? Huh.

Well I can say one thing I've learned from this graphics update, people are deeply particular about their characters' appearances. Any change, real or imagined, is a big deal. I was originally a bit disappointed that the update wasn't more dramatic, but it's making more and more sense why they decided to take such a conservative approach.
Now imagine what would have happened if the update was akin to the WoW character model update when it came to changing Facial structures :
be6c18b16062b39b457865e7c02aa3c5.jpg

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah same. But I understand that there's a strong emotional element here that you have to keep in mind.

Yeah, my character doesn't look exactly the same, but I don't think my character has any less changes than some of the examples I've seen in here that are being called "butchered." It's obvious things like the nose models are more realistic, and the eyes have kind of changed (I love my new nose, but actually am not too fond of my slightly smaller/more closed eyes) but to me I really just look at it and decide "my character has aged" and roll with it. I think I read that the whole game supposedly takes place in like a 6 month time frame, which makes no sense to me, so I just ignore that aspect and assume my character has aged like 5-6 years from ARR.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah same. But I understand that there's a strong emotional element here that you have to keep in mind.

its also one of those things that over time people will get used to and only see the benefits. This new update tuning is a work in progress, they even stated its the "First" graphics update alluding to more down the line. Which is also why I am not against people complaining, they literally added the limbal ring highlights addition to the character creator to make sure people could retain the dead eye glowing look on Au Ra after people complained during fanfest.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Now imagine what would have happened if the update was akin to the WoW character model update when it came to changing Facial structures :
The XIV community would literally implode. FWIW, this is the kind of update I would have loved to have seen the development team attempt, but as I said, I certainly get why they scaled back their ambition.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I completely understand why people are deeply attached to their FFXIV characters, part of it being the fact that you only really ever need the single character to experience everything in the game.

There's a reason the community goes so super hard on aesthetic mods even if a lot of them make the character look like they're from IMVU.

This is actually a fantastic example of needing to resculpt the mesh due to poly and bone additions. Sometimes you simply cannot keep the same look if you plan on updating the models.