• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
You know, fair enough. The TSCMAA without jitter option is comparable to regular SMAA, so it's a good thing to include it. The naming is...very strange though. Even though it's technically using the code path for TSCMAA, they should probably just call it CMAA for users so it's not needlessly confusing. But I do want to stress that that option is basically just "FXAA but it's a little less blurry" lol.
From my understanding, TSCMAA by default doesn't have any jitter. Intel made it for VR games, where there's a big need for temporal stability since the view is always moving, but the jitter from normal TAA can induce motion sickness, among other problems. It does have a temporal element, pulling information from previous frames, but it's not trying to do temporal supersampling, the thing jitter is for. It's just trying to prevent shimmer when things move around. It's Temporally Stabilized, but not really related to what's commonly called Temporal AA.

Last edited:

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
How are people getting camera angles that line up so perfectly?
Just a question of finding a good reference point in the background (e.g. that lamppost in Gridania) to align the horizontal and vertical camera position, followed by a few reshoots to adjust character rotation until it's about right.

Now imagine what would have happened if the update was akin to the WoW character model update when it came to changing Facial structures :
I've never entirely forgiven Blizzard for messing with my male draenei. Not because of the model overhauls—because in 3.1 they added a mustache to one of the faces out of nowhere and they never took it back off. Rolled a different character within the week.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
From my understanding, TSCMAA by default doesn't have any jitter. Intel made it for VR games, where there's a big need for temporal stability since the view is always moving, but the jitter from normal TAA can induce motion sickness, among other problems. It does have a temporal element, pulling information from previous frames, but it's not trying to do temporal supersampling, the thing jitter is for. It's just trying to prevent shimmer when things move around. It's not actually Temporal AA, it's post-process AA with a temporal element.
Hmmm you may be right about that, I looked at the code sample paper and there's no mention of a jitter pass (other than them talking about the inherent jitter of HMDs cause people aren't perfectly stationary). But without the jitter pass, TSCMAA looks remarkably unstable imo.

MrTharne

May 26, 2023
How are people getting camera angles that line up so perfectly?
I go into the Character creator :
- I load the appearance and I don't touch anything,
- Zoom in at full for a Body screenshot, then click Face,
- Don't touch anything, screenshot for Bust,
- Then zoom in at full for Face screenshot.

Animations loop can make things slightly off (and beware of the blink) but apart from that it's pretty one/one.

I use the first background because Limsa can apparently add the Wet effect to the character randomly and all the exterior background also seem to change lighting condition with clouds and what not sometimes so it can screw comparison. (I've seen comparison when the floor behind the Old screenshot is in full light and then in the New screenshot the floor is in full shadow...great comparison shot...).
And if you want to really see the change in shadows and lights interaction with the face go into the last background and spin around, Old Female Elezen in particular is haunting with some angles.

I did comparison Sliders for the 14 appearances I used on my Main and Alts throughout the years, the one I was most impressed by is this one : https://imgsli.com/MjU2NDky/0/1

Last edited:

Shad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhhh it took me a bit but now I know why I don't like my male midlander Hyur anymore. They added (to me) very pronounced smile lines to his face (at least to both face 5 and face 7 - the only faces I've liked). I'm glad I could pinpoint it beyond "he looks like he's been on meth for like a decade" or whatever.

Back to making retainers and tweaking potential replacements for my Hyur!

arcticxdeath

Mar 25, 2019
Maximum settings
Screen Size: 2560x1440
Score: 7671
Average Frame Rate: 54.92332
Minimum Frame Rate: 32
Performance: Fairly High

GTX 1080 can't stop won't stop

AJ_Cyberpunk

Apr 15, 2019
Pretty happy with how my character looks, no bad issues at least.

I'm on a older system, 2700X and 1080ti @1080p. Still get Very High on Maximum
FINAL FANTASY XIV: Dawntrail Benchmark
Tested on: 15/4/2024 20:30:15
Score: 12602
Average Frame Rate: 95.07188
Minimum Frame Rate: 41
Performance: Very High

I'd like a new monitor to make the jump to 1440p but then would also build new machine to get DLSS as well then.
I'm up to date with MSQ pretty much but not subbed for bit now. Kinda feel Endwalker was "Endgame" for me. As a dragoon main though hoping the rework/job trailer for it , along with more of a story trailer or something etc gets me hyped to jump back in.

7NsLYj8.png

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
I suspect character lightning is set on for the benchmark, at least for character creation. Bc, new lightning system is a bit weird... (old rendering is more "natural")

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who doesn't play, overall from what i've seen in this thread i think the update looks really good. I understand folks reacting poorly after having spent so long looking at their character with the old lighting. Reminds how when I was growing up every new Mustang generation people absolutely hated, and then you gave it 12 months and it was fine.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I was ragging on DLSS earlier, but actually comparing it to FSR when you're upscaling, never mind. It is so much cleaner and less aliased.
Preset F also actually does completely do away with ghosting, much to my surprise. It's actually better than Preset E.

Anyway, MY BOOOOOY
3J1GLIg.png

IMG]

OP
OP
Kuro

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
na.finalfantasyxiv.com

An Update on the Dawntrail Official Benchmark | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone

An Update on the Dawntrail Official Benchmark

They're updating the benchmark
Seems like CC just went untouched with the new graphics updates which clashed with its old lighting and effects system.

Also this benchmark presents an old build that is missing some fixed textures and scaling.

Good to hear they will replace it with a newer version.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Slightly off-topic question, but is there any point in buying DT on day 1 if you aren't up to date with MSQ? I'm still at early SB, don't know if buying DT now makes any difference for me.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I often search on twitter ロスガル (Hrothgar) to get some glam idea and it's funny to see a lot of Japanese players saying that they look so "soft/fluffy" now,
that fur shader putting in the work !
na.finalfantasyxiv.com

An Update on the Dawntrail Official Benchmark | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone

An Update on the Dawntrail Official Benchmark

They're updating the benchmark
Ah thank god, yeah I already posted pictures but my Hrothgar looked extra shiny like permanently wet in the creator.
->
Personally the difference is massive for me
Creator / In-game

3eWeTvM.png
WkLAxwf.png

Look, the fur is much more detailed and not wet! That's kinda crazy.

Last edited:

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
The following points are some of the factors that will be resolved by applying the graphical update of the actual game to the character creation system:

• A."Lifeless" eyes due to a lack of highlights in the pupils
  • B.Facial contours appearing flattened due to incorrect lighting conditions caused by backlighting
  • C.A lack of gloss or excessive appearance of gloss due to character creation-exclusive weather conditions (i.e. the use of thunderclouds)
The special conditions created for the existing character creation system are largely responsible for the points outlined above. Changing these settings should greatly improve the situation, and I would appreciate it if you could bear with us as we work on updating the benchmark.

[/quote]

Based on the wide range of feedback on the official forums and social media, we were able to pinpoint a number of issues in the data and certain processes which manifested due to our need to modify an enormous amount of data. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience these issues have caused.

Naturally, these issues are steadily being addressed as we finalize our development of Dawntrail. However, these issues remained in the benchmark due to simple data-related errors or neglecting to reflect the upcoming changes to the benchmark environment.

The following are examples of issues which fall into this category:

• A.An issue with unimplemented high-resolution textures, including those for certain playable races.
  • B.An issue pertaining to special data processes.
  • C.An issue with necklines for playable races under certain circumstances.
  • D.An issue with uncorrected scaling for the mouth of certain playable races.

Damn that is a lot of stuff overlooked. A lot of that seems exactly the concerns from most people. I saw a lot of concerns regarding gloss and mouth which they seem to know.

Whether or not the updates will correct them is unknown so some may feel anxious, but at least it is addressed.

Slightly off-topic question, but is there any point in buying DT on day 1 if you aren't up to date with MSQ? I'm still at early SB, don't know if buying DT now makes any difference for me.

None, unless you want to use Viper or Pictomancer, or want to level your character beyond 90.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
People saying they hadn't touched anything on the character creation backgrounds were right on the money wow
The only benefits would be being able to unlock the new jobs and play with them right away, being able to level jobs to 100 and making a female Hrothgar character.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

On top of what has been said, pre-ordering also gets you the earring that boosts combat exp up to lvl90, so that can help with levelling alt jobs.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
People saying they hadn't touched anything on the character creation backgrounds were right on the money wow

The only benefits would be being able to unlock the new jobs and play with them right away, being able to level jobs to 100 and making a female Hrothgar character.
Actually female Hrothgar only requires Shadowbringers
eu.finalfantasyxiv.com

FINAL FANTASY XIV: Dawntrail

The official site for FINAL FANTASY XIV: Dawntrail.
"Players can enjoy certain updates without purchasing Dawntrail, including:
• New playable race: female Hrothgar (requires Shadowbringers expansion)
• Major graphical update
• System updates
• Gold Saucer updates"

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
eu.finalfantasyxiv.com

• Major graphical update
• System updates
• Gold Saucer updates"
Huh, that's surprising, thought new races were always locked to the new expansion.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Glad they're updating it. A bit weird they overlooked the CC environments in the graphical update but clearly they're different than just throwing the character into those spots in the actual game. Can't wait to have a second look at the CC.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
any date for the new benchmark? is it going to be an update or you need to download it again

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
None, unless you want to use Viper or Pictomancer, or want to level your character beyond 90.
[/QUOTE]

On top of what has been said, pre-ordering also gets you the earring that boosts combat exp up to lvl90, so that can help with levelling alt jobs.

eu.finalfantasyxiv.com

• Major graphical update
• System updates
• Gold Saucer updates"
Thank you all. Seems like I won't miss anything if I don't buy the expansion for now. I'll get it later when I reach the end of EW.

I haven't played since just before EW released, so I'll take my sweet time getting used to everything again.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
If my character ends up looking terrible, I always have the nuclear option:

The big chocobo head.

It never lets you down!

Jan 11, 2018
They are technically, but since both Hrothgar and Viera originally released with Shadowbringers they don't lock the gender releases behind the exp they launched. M.Viera also only require ShB.

I think it might also be because not counting old codes, you can only buy either the "starter edition" which is just the Free Trial content but with the limitations removed, and if you already own the former you buy the latest expansion which comes with previous expansions included or you buy everything at once as part of the "complete edition". So unless you're playing the free trial or starter edition you're going to get access to all races regardless.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it might also be because not counting old codes, you can only buy either the "starter edition" which is just the Free Trial content but with the limitations removed, and if you already own the former you buy the latest expansion which comes with previous expansions included or you buy everything at once as part of the "complete edition". So unless you're playing the free trial or starter edition you're going to get access to all races regardless.
That's another good point.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
There's probably still more to be addressed between the benchmark and release, but hopefully most of them are handled by the benchmark update, whenever that comes.

Last edited:

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they're wasting their time with an updated benchmark. I figured most of the graphical and lightning changes weren't a part of the benchmark due to it probably being built a few months ago and the current engine probably is further along. Anyway, even when Dawntrail launches people need to understand that the graphic changes will probably be a work in progress until the next expansion.

With all that being said, I hope the newer build makes the people that had issues happy.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the lighting is super fucked and its good they are addressing it (as well as other issues). My earlier post showed off just how fucked it can look (when in reality it was a huge upgrade) and honestly people constantly posting that on twitter is just bad optics instead of the positive advertising they would want from it

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they're wasting their time with an updated benchmark. I figured most of the graphical and lightning changes weren't a part of the benchmark due to it probably being built a few months ago and the current engine probably is further along. Anyway, even when Dawntrail launches people need to understand that the graphic changes will probably be a work in progress until the next expansion.

With all that being said, I hope the newer build makes the people that had issues happy.

People having concern over their appearance in MMO is a huge deal, especially in XIV. It's why they spent like 20 minutes every Live Letter discussing how your character will look after the upgrade and reassuring multiple times that even though they aim to keep your look the same, you may look different and they'll give a free fantasia to remedy that. Like they can fuck up an entire combat system, but the majority of the playerbase will never let concerns about character's appearance slide.

Plus it's kinda pointless to let people preview their updated character if the preview itself is broken, because the only feedback they get is just the stuff that they should've got it right in the first place.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Why waste the resources on the benchmark when that could go into the actual game. Unless that's work they put into the client, then apply those changes into the benchmark? Maybe?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Why waste the resources on the benchmark when that could go into the actual game. Unless that's work they put into the client, then apply those changes into the benchmark? Maybe?
The graphics are still a work in progress, they explicitly asked for feedback.

Also, if they're not going to show accurate character looks, why even let people put their characters in at all?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
They use the exact same character creator in the full game, so probably they'll just fix the Dawntrail version and then update the Benchmark.
Otherwise we would be at launch with those issues, since in the article Yoshida keep saying "oops we forgot X and Y"

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
The benchmark is part of their marketing push and the last thing they want is people doomposting over possibly innacurate depictions of their characters.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Granted I'm not part of many (if any) ffxiv communities outside of talking about it here but even in my very game light socials the most I've heard about ffxiv was people complaining they ruined their characters. This sure isn't a good look or something you can just ignore and wait for it to die down I'd assume.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So the Japanese Community kicked up a shitstorm about the changes then.

that's the only thing that would get Square to do this

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
So the Japanese Community kicked up a shitstorm about the changes then.

that's the only thing that would get Square to do this
Both forums did, there was even some overlap when it came to social media, both NA and JP players in the same twitter threads and retweeting eachother

Funnily enough, JP players actually think that the devs listen to NA more than they listen to JP
V34GCj3.png

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017

If you read his message, it sounds like character creator was overlooked in both the benchmark and retail. So they're doing both, and if it weren't for player critique the CC might've just been like it is in the benchmark in 7.0 too.

Some of it is, but some of it could be overturned by the CC update.

EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
Butchered? Huh.

Well I can say one thing I've learned from this graphics update, people are deeply particular about their characters' appearances. Any change, real or imagined, is a big deal. I was originally a bit disappointed that the update wasn't more dramatic, but it's making more and more sense why they decided to take such a conservative approach.
Yes, they butchered my character. I mentioned this like 10 times already, but he looks way off now. Maybe you can't tell from a screenshot, but he doesn't look the same in the benchmark. His face is completely different and not in a good way.

I get it, some people don't really care about the way their character looks, but I do and I don't like these kind of changes.

Nov 2, 2017
For my money the upgrade is pretty pathetic. I'd have liked a more radical graphics update

But seeing some people's reactions to this as it is, I can see why it was such a conservative update

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
For my money the upgrade is pretty pathetic. I'd have liked a more radical graphics update

But seeing some people's reactions to this as it is, I can see why it was such a conservative update
It's not reactions to the graphics update, it's reactions to them changing alot of character's looks when they promised to preserve them. They even admit they messed up some stuff in the blog post, like mouth shapes for example.

People aren't against a graphics update. People are against their characters being changed.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I think people should wait on the update. It sounds like it's not only that the graphics update wasn't applied to the character creator, but there are also some model errors they missed. Some of the issues with lips et al. might look different after, not to mention how differently things will look under the new lighting.