Which ending/conclusion did you enjoy more?

Votes: 174 59.0%

Votes: 121 41.0%

• Total voters

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Probably have to give it to 5.0
The moment the theme song kicks in when ardbert hands you his axe was one of the hypest moments in gaming for me.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it."

Yeah, it's a VERY hard pick. Between this, and Ardbert's "If you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?" line. I ultimately selected 5.0 due to the extreme feels with Emet and stuff. But both were some of the best writing Final Fantasy has ever had.

Sign

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, it's a VERY hard pick. Between this, and Ardbert's "If you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?" line. I ultimately selected 5.0 due to the extreme feels with Emet and stuff. But both were some of the best writing Final Fantasy has ever had.

Definitely a hard choice, but there is something about that line at the end of 5.3 and seeing him in his OG form and the sadness in his voice that just absolutely wrecks me (even more than the Seto scene). Just typing up the line caused me to tear up a bit.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a hard choice, but there is something about that line at the end of 5.3 and seeing him in his OG form and the sadness in his voice that just absolutely wrecks me (even more than the Seto scene). Just typing up the line caused me to tear up a bit.

My people.

My brothers.

My friends...

Stay strong. Keep the faith.

At duty's end, we will meet again. We will. We will...

The rains have ceased, and we have been blessed with another beautiful day.

But you are not here to see it...

kamenridercryingvgfwt.gif

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Shadowbringers was the weakest xpac for me. Both Emet and Graha were annoying af but fortunately redeemed in 6.0. Not a popular opinion but I was snoozing across the entire First.

Ardbert is very cool though so 5.0 > 5.3.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
1cc.gif

One of the best moments in any game, ever. Not even exaggerating. This was so unbelievably hype.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
They were both great, and it still amazes me how CBU3 managed to simultaneously extract the full emotional response out of both G'raha dying and G'raha living. They had their cake and ate it too.

However, the 5.0 ending (and the 6.0 ending) still have it beat.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like Elidibus being defeated in patch content personally - I enjoyed the scenes because they were good but I also felt like he deserved...more? Idk, I grew to like him and wished he had been expanded more before then. Plus I thought the ending of 5.0 overall was more hype so it gets my vote.

OP
OP
AvianAviator

AvianAviator

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jun 23, 2021
Elidibus was a far more tragic character than Emet, making that climax hit a bit harder for me. 5.3 also had us vacating the First for good in a narrative sense, so it was more bittersweet all around. And finally G'raha's crossing over was just such a beautiful sequence. 5.3 was the superior conclusion imo.

Ah, maybe that's it. As soon as Elidibus showed up puppeteering Ardbert's corpse, that was it, I hated him.

5.0 ending is definitely my favourite moment in the entire game, dethroning 3.3 for me, but 5.3 was still utterly fantastic.
Emet-Selch essentially saving the WoL during Seat of Sacrifice was hype AF

I totally I missed when that happened, because it occurs right after the instant kill QTE, and when I finally beat it, my hands hurt and I was mad about that whole sequence and not really paying attention

It was only when my friend (who came in to do the fight with me) said something about it that I was like "oh yeah, I guess a random ascian did show up to do something... OH YEAH, he totally did Emet's little goodbye wave! That was Emet??"

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
5.3 is amazing. It doesn't work without 5.0. Therefore 5.0 takes the cake.

All of Shadowbringers is just *chefskiss

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The first one by far. Everything with the Exarch was just annoying in a game full of death fake outs.
That and Elidibus kinda sucks.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The first one by far. Everything with the Exarch was just annoying in a game full of death fake outs.

While I do agree fake out deaths can be annoying... The only way the Exarch scene can be considered one is if you were literally looking away while the scene was playing and also ignore the dialogue lol

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

That's one of the biggest problems with the game's writing. They want all the melodrama caused by a character's death, but they don't want to follow through with actually killing someone off. It's been a problem since Heavensward.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
5.0 is an epic ending, and would be TOTALLY FINE on its own, and Ardbert steps up in an amazing way.

I just love how in 5.3, after everything you've done, they twist the idea of Warrior of Darkness, duping heroes from other universes to rain down on you, culminating in the visage of the very first hero in FF history being your final battle.

Shad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My people.

My brothers.

My friends...

Stay strong. Keep the faith.

At duty's end, we will meet again. We will. We will...

The rains have ceased, and we have been blessed with another beautiful day.

But you are not here to see it...

kamenridercryingvgfwt.gif

As much as I love 5.0's end, *this* is why I voted 5.3. I still cannot get through that part without at least tearing up.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That's one of the biggest problems with the game's writing. They want all the melodrama caused by a character's death, but they don't want to follow through with actually killing someone off. It's been a problem since Heavensward.

But again... This situation wasn't a fake out death... Did you just ignore literally all the dialogue?

The characters of the Crystarium were literally even sad... because they knew they couldn't see him again, not that he was dead, this isn't even just implied and left to the imagination, they outright state this.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
But again... This situation wasn't a fake out death... Did you just ignore literally all the dialogue?

The characters of the Crystarium were literally even sad... because they knew they couldn't see him again, not that he was dead, this isn't even just implied and left to the imagination, they outright state this.

I don't mean it just about the Exarch, I mean as a whole. They're constantly doing death fake outs.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, love me some ancients shit. On the other hand, I don't like G'raha Tia...

I've never tried to compare 5.0 and 5.3 like that. x.0 msq is always going to have more room to breathe compared to the patches, so I'm usually pretty generous to patches having to keep things short and sweet and keep things moving. But 5.3 did have me liking Elidibus more overall compared to Emet-Selch.

Yeah, I think I just take them both separately, for the most part.

I don't mean it just about the Exarch, I mean as a whole. They're constantly doing death fake outs.

Yeah, but if Y'shtola doesn't pretend to die in every expansion, they might actually have to do something of substance with her.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
5.0 is better overall but the ending cutscene for 5.3 is the best *ending* cutscene. If they ended the whole game on the final cutscene with the final shot being the one of the Crystal Tower, I would've been content.

Ailanthium

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
I personally think it's 5.3, but it's damn close. That being said, when the music kicks in and you take Ardbert's axe? That moment right there makes it a tough decision. I really liked Elidibus as a villain, though, probably moreso than Emet-Selch, which is why 5.3 ultimately wins it out for me. To the Edge is also one of my favorite songs, and the Warrior of Light boss fight one of my favorite trials (the Extreme version is especially cool imo), but again, stiff competition with Who Brings Shadow. I just think it's more interesting overall than Hades, who's a lot more of a "stereotypical" final boss. I also love that Elidibus throws the heroes of FFIV at you.

God, they're both so good. I'm so excited to get to them on my replay.

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
I think the 5.0 ending was all in all better. The lead up from the 79 dungeon all the way to the final fight with the cutscenes in Amarot were on another level from a story and music perspective. I enjoyed the 5.3 ending for what it was but I've never been a big fan of that trial fight and the "To the Edge" music so it didn't hit me. However the cutscenes once everyone returns and is chilling in Mor Dhona were fantastic and I felt like could have honestly been the end of the entire game it was that good with its closure.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

What... are you talking about? They've constantly killed off characters. Louisoix, Moenbryda, Minfilia, Papalymo, Haruchefant, Ardbert, Yotsuyu, Emet-Slech, Venat in Endwalker...

Yes, there have been fakeouts. Some have been for tension, and Gaius was exceptionally silly. But to say "they don't want to follow through with it" when they've killed off at least one major character every expansion is just flat out wrong.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but if Y'shtola doesn't pretend to die in every expansion, they might actually have to do something of substance with her.

Like with the exile scene in Realm Reborn, it kinda feels cheap that you can teleport to almost every location in the game because its an MMO. After all this build up and G'raha giving this lengthy melodramatic speech about his "last request" as he crystalizes, then not long after he's just kinda brought back as a main character.... like they just can't commit to anything because the characters are too popular. They did it a lot with fake outs and such but this one had more buildup than usual.

Gaius and Zenos are absolutely terrible.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I hate Hermes with all my heart. Hypocritical sophistry-spouting arse.

He DOES NOT deserve the spot in the artwork at the final shot of Endwalker.

original Hermes just happens to be an "odd" ancient, who had a much broader view on life and hated the way the ancients treated life as disposable. most of what he does in Elpis comes about because he knows that once the convocation gets their hands on Meteion, they were going to kill her. he was essentially her father, and i don't know many parents who would give their child up to die. but even saying that, he was still an ancient in the end. which is why he erased his own memory to fight against what would come.

the reincarnations of Hermes into Amon and then Fandaniel aren't the same person. Hermes was sundered, and FFXIV has shown time and time again that a person is an individual, and not their soul. that's why we are not Azem and Azem is not us. what the Ascians do with memory implants is a perversion, and not a restoration of the original self.

something subtle and interesting about the whole Elpis thing, is that when you go there, you see Hythlodaeus turn the butterfly into clothes. this is meant to show that even ancients we held to the highest standard, saw life outside of the ancients as merely tools, as the ancients were inherently flawed, and doomed.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
What... are you talking about? They've constantly killed off characters. Louisoix, Moenbryda, Minfilia, Papalymo, Haruchefant, Ardbert, Yotsuyu, Emet-Slech, Hydaelyn herself in Endwalker...

I can't speak for Loiusoix, since I never played 1.0, but Moenbryda was a very minor character who died in the same patch she was introduced in. Ardbert was dead the whole time we knew him. Emet-Selch and Yotsuyu were villians. They always kill villians, except when they bring them back. Venat died in the expansion she was introduced in. No major, established character has died since Papalymo in Heavensward. I don't count Minfilia in Shadowbringers, because Minfilia effectively died during Heavensward when she was possessed by Hydaelyn.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for Loiusoix, since I never played 1.0, but Moenbryda was a very minor character who died in the same patch she was introduced in. Ardbert was dead the whole time we knew him. Emet-Selch and Yotsuyu were villians. They always kill villians, except when they bring them back. Venat died in the expansion she was introduced in. No major, established character has died since Papalymo in Heavensward. I don't count Minfilia in Shadowbringers, because Minfilia effectively died during Heavensward when she was possessed by Hydaelyn.

i'm kinda glad they don't really kill off main characters often cause it just ends up being a waste most of the time. like Gaius coming back sucks, yes. but losing Minfilia especially sucked, and the SHB quests revolving around her just felt like... what a waste, she deserved more.

death rarely adds much in a story unless it's done right, and treated with actual weight, with characters who continue to be haunted by it. in real life it can take years, decades, a lifetime to get over a death, but charaters like Papalymo and Minfilia are just like well we moved on in a month sorry.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That just means you're establishing completely arbitrary criteria to justify your original statement. That's not how storytelling works. Just because a character is introduced and killed in the same expansion, or happens to be a villain (tragic villains, in the case of Emet and Yotsuyu), that doesn't make their death any more or less objectively impactful. Beyond that, we'd be getting into sheer subjectiveness.

"They want all the melodrama caused by a character's death, but they don't want to follow through with actually killing someone off" is objectively wrong. Because they have followed through with killing someone off. Repeatedly. Every expansion.

And heck, if we're getting into subjectiveness, look at the people who are citing Elidibus's death. One of the very moments the topic is about, in fact. And he was an established character from A Realm Reborn.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
death rarely adds much in a story unless it's done right, and treated with actual weight, with characters who continue to be haunted by it.

Then they should probably stop treating death like a cheap trick. At this point its more like the boy who cried wolf, and im expecting everyone to either have plot armour or come back
even in Endwalker when people are disappearing and turning into magic bridges for the protagonist I kinda had to laugh at the audacity that anyone would believe they wouldn't just be back in the very next scene, which they were

Gosetsu definitely should have died.

This is the point. Using that villain (Yotsuyu) as an example of someone who died....when they themselves had one of the dumbest fakeouts i've ever seen.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
That just means you're establishing completely arbitrary criteria to justify your original statement. That's not how storytelling works. Just because a character is introduced and killed in the same expansion, or happens to be a villain (tragic villains, in the case of Emet and Yotsuyu), that doesn't make their death any more or less objectively impactful. Beyond that, we'd be getting into sheer subjectiveness.

the thing i liked about Yotsuyu is that in the end, it wasn't tragic. she was who she was and made the choices she did. she controlled her own fate, her own destiny.

the idea that Emet-Selch, who even after everything in Endwalker says "i would do this all again, btw" as tragic is... well i can't agree there lol he sure is a source of tragedy for others, though.

Then they should probably stop treating death like a cheap trick. At this point its more like the boy who cried wolf, and im expecting everyone to either have plot armour or come back
even in Endwalker when people are disappearing and turning into magic bridges for the protagonist I kinda had to laugh at the audacity that anyone would believe they wouldn't just be back in the very next scene, which they were

i always took the end of Endwalker as well the player knows they aren't really dying. the point is more you know they're coming back.

Jan 11, 2018
In regards to major character deaths, I think it's not so much that I want more characters to die as it is that they absolutely need to stop with the fake deaths. They add nothing of value. Quite the opposite. They are cheap and poorly written, so they detract from the overall experience.

Oh noes, Y'shtola died again. Aren't you sad, player?! Isn't this emotional? What do you mean you can tell she's not actually dead?

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
5.3 for me. Lot of great story moments, but I think it's the speech from the Crystal Exarch at the end that's a bit melancholic to me. Realizing the passage of time of going through the journey of this story, and realizing one day it'll all come to an end. Perhaps this is a strange answer to give to 'which ending did you enjoy more', but just one of those moments/scenes that had a strong emotional impact on me, and just realizing the impact the game as a whole (the story and the overall experience) has had on me all these years.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i always took the end of Endwalker as well the player knows they aren't really dying. the point is more you know they're coming back.

I don't want to go too further on this, as we're getting off topic (and into major Endwalker spoilers), but it's clear by the time you lose another person besides Thancred that the goal here is to make you wonder how everyone is coming back. It's obviously not intended to be a genuine fakeout. They even foreshadowed it if you were paying attention.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
5.3 is what cemented this game as my favorite Final Fantasy entry (it had been inching closer and closer to it with every patch; 5.3 sealed the deal), so yeah, 5.3 gets my vote.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I liked the bit where the warrior of light poses like the old FFXIV 1.0 amano art. But I think all the Hades stuff was more impactful overall.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's 5.0. The whole run to the finale from the moment you start the Shadowbringers quest was peak, and that Ardbert scene was the best moment in all of FFXIV. WOL was the better trial tho.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
This is VERY tough, I would just tell someone that both of them hit like a freight train. But if I have to rank them...5.3 barely edges it out for me. I have heaps of praise for both climaxes, but 5.3 was just that little bit more emotional to me.

I loved Elidibus and his conclusion, I loved Emet's appearance, laying the path for Elidibus' defeat, so he wouldn't suffer alone. The Azem reveal, the aftermath with Elidibus and his resolution after giving him all the constellation crystals, and then the pain of G'raha's final goodbyes to the people of the First, his life as the Exarch ending. And then him becoming a scion, and his dream of finally getting to adventure with the WoL and the Scions being fulfilled...

5.3 was the peak for me. I would be satisfied if it ended there. If 5.0 was a nail to my emotions, 5.3 was the hammer driving that nail all the way through and shattering my emotions.

noffles

Nov 10, 2017
5.3 is only better if you waited through the pandemic drought and savoured it with everyone at the same time

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
1cc.gif

One of the best moments in any game, ever. Not even exaggerating. This was so unbelievably hype.
Omg yes. And the tease with them not showing who it was, but thru the dialogue and then the fucking hand gesture. ITS HIM!!

This is the point. Using that villain (Yotsuyu) as an example of someone who died....when they themselves had one of the dumbest fakeouts i've ever seen.
Yea, its very unfortunate that by now i expect the main crew to have plot armor and it really did hurt the finale of endwalker for me. You had this amazing song in the final area, and then these formulaic "sacrifices" along the way. It felt so scripted. I couldn't take those sacrifices seriously at all. Like yeah i know death should be well written, but fake deaths are just a lot worse. And time and time again it'll fuhrer cheapen the narrative.This is also prob why ShB > Endwalker for me.