• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Newey is going to

• retire from F1

Votes: 30 18.6%
  • stay at Red Bull

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Mercedes

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ferrari

Votes: 89 55.3%
  • Aston

Votes: 24 14.9%
  • SauberAudi

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Williams to finish what he started

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they considered switching from a Sprint format to the regular format for China.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Wonder if they considered switching from a Sprint format to the regular format for China.
It's up to the promoter, and I think a Sprint makes sense for them. Apparently there's been a huge surge in demand for tickets and it's sold out for this weekend. Compare that to the early hybrid era where most of the grandstands were empty.

I think a bit too much is being made of the Sprint impact. Imola went ahead in 2020 after 14 years with just a single practice session. Nurburgring returned and Friday was a right off due to fog.

F1 teams hate variables. A single practice session and a Sprint format should offer us a bit of fun and drama more than anything. The sky high front tyre pressures make me hopefully some teams will get it wrong and others right. Rain also forecast for early Saturday.

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
I won't be watching this one live. 1-3am is too much for me. I'll wake up, make some coffee and enjoy it then.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
michael-schumacher-chinese-grand-prix-2006.jpg

Shanghai 2006, last win...
P6 in qualifying, the only Bridgestone car in the top 10. The only driver in F1 modern era capable of winning races without having the fastest car on a regular basis.

GUArutha

Apr 25, 2018
I just read that Haas is bringing the first update of the car to the next Grand Prix in China. Unfortunately for them they have only enough parts for one car. They will give the parts to Magnussen.

I'm surprised they will give it to Magnussen as it seems he is the slower driver.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I just read that Haas is bringing the first update of the car to the next Grand Prix in China. Unfortunately for them they have only enough parts for one car. They will give the parts to Magnussen.

I'm surprised they will give it to Magnussen as it seems he is the slower driver.
Well, I guess they give it to KMag, and if he can keep up with Hulk, then the upgrades are good. That's how that works, right?

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, already? Busy weekend with Indy and IMSA at Long Beach and WEC at Imola.

Up those numbers!

F1 @ China
WEC @ Imola
Indycar @ Long Beach
IMSA @ Long Beach
24hrs series 12hrs of Spa @ Spa
World Superbikes @ Assen, Netherlands
Endurance World Championship @ LeMans Bugatti Circuit, France
British Superbikes @ Navarra, Spain
Supercars @ Taupo, NZ

My iCal is a complete mess

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018

P6 in qualifying, the only Bridgestone car in the top 10. The only driver in F1 modern era capable of winning races without having the fastest car on a regular basis.
Every child has a hero. He was mine.

I just watched highlights of this race and welled up in the closing laps. The nostalgia, the emotion, the Ferrari flags from the pitwall as he crossed the line.

Just an extraordinary win. I'm so grateful to have watched this.

Oct 28, 2017

In race pace they were pretty much even last year. Closest pairing on the grid with less than a 100th of second between them over the season.

But I imagine KMag might have gotten them as Hulk was not a fan at all of Haas' upgrades last year. So he might be fine with just going one more race with a package he knows.

Raggen

Oct 7, 2019
Anyone here watch WRC? I have been playing alot of WRC Generations and it has rekindled my love for the sport, to the point where I consider to seek it out. I use to catch WRC back when Petter Solberg was in his prime, but that is ages ago.

How is it as a TV sport these days? They have their own app I understand? How is the competition?

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here watch WRC? I have been playing alot of WRC Generations and it has rekindled my love for the sport, to the point where I consider to seek it out. I use to catch WRC back when Petter Solberg was in his prime, but that is ages ago.

How is it as a TV sport these days? They have their own app I understand? How is the competition?
Ask here
www.resetera.com

FIA World Rally Championship |OT| Welcoming Hyundai to the Hybrid Era Sports - OT

That make sense. The Dirtfish podcast was talking about this and how the new regulations seem rushed and wondering why any of the Rally1 manufacturers would want to sell a kit to a WRC2 team that could potentially make them faster than a Rally1 car. Another puncture for Solberg so that's his...

Raggen

Oct 7, 2019
Ask here
www.resetera.com

FIA World Rally Championship |OT| Welcoming Hyundai to the Hybrid Era Sports - OT

That make sense. The Dirtfish podcast was talking about this and how the new regulations seem rushed and wondering why any of the Rally1 manufacturers would want to sell a kit to a WRC2 team that could potentially make them faster than a Rally1 car. Another puncture for Solberg so that's his...

Sorry, didn't know there was an official thread, will check it out. Thanks!

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Love the Lewis drift edits

Regarding Sainz - I really think he should take the 1 year at Mercedes and drive his ass off in whatever they end up building for that year. The risk is that he doesn't do well and they don't extend him for another year cause they will want to put Antonelli in but the reward is that if he does stay he's at least in a low-point Mercedes car and not whatever Audi is going to be able to muster up.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017

I remember being so hopeful after that race that he'll get his 8th title and was crushed when his engine blew while he was in the lead in Japan.

I'll forever be grateful to have witnessed almost his his whole career starting from 93/94. Even as a child, because of him, I'd wake up at like 5-6am for the Japanese or Australian GPs not just to watch the race but also to watch the pre race interviews. Basically my childhood hero who remained that into my teens and then adulthood with his comeback.

i miss seeing him around

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
If Newey went to Ferrari (or Aston I guess), would he have a "gardening leave"? I've never understood how that stuff works.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on Red Bull, but yeah presumably between 6-12 months.

And I don't think he'll leave. He has good gig now with a lot of freedom, doubt he'll give that up even if offered more money.

Yeah I don't think he'll leave either, but I didn't think Hamilton would drive for Ferrari, so nothing seems crazy these days.

Makes sense it's a Red Bull call to make, is there any limit to how long they can be?

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't think he'll leave either, but I didn't think Hamilton would drive for Ferrari, so nothing seems crazy these days.

Makes sense it's a Red Bull call to make, is there any limit to how long they can be?

Depends on the contract signed and if the team wants to hold him all the time they are entitled to. I don't think there is any upper limit per se and I remember hearing rumours about some people having 18 months.

But since the employer still needs to pay salary to the person leaving for all those months, which would go out of the cost cap, I don't think any team would really do that long.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I don't think he will leave because he's an older guy with a family that probably doesn't want to relocate to Italy for the next few years. I'm sure Ferrari would give him absolute carte blanche in how he would operate and a ton more money on top of that.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the contract signed and if the team wants to hold him all the time they are entitled to. I don't think there is any upper limit per se and I remember hearing rumours about some people having 18 months.

But since the employer still needs to pay salary to the person leaving for all those months, which would go out of the cost cap, I don't think any team would really do that long.

Gotcha. Yeah he'd be expensive to keep on contract, but not get the benefit. Haha

I don't actually think he'll leave, just fun to speculate, and I was curious on how all that stuff works.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Also wonder if there's some kind of break clause in there, say something like a "The boss has been dipping his pen in the company ink" situation.

I could see him going to Ferrari if they're a lot more flexible than they used to be and let him work from the UK. The past few years have shown that having people working from different locations most of the time doesn't have to be a negative, in fact it's more likely to make an employer more attractive to top talent.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Helmut Marko mentioned in an interview that Lawson is allowed to leave the Red Bull organization if he doesn't get a seat for 2025. In turn, they're very interested in putting him in a car this year to assess his performance, but he acknowledges that it's "a very complex situation", and that they need to wait and see how it develops.

This reads to me like Ricciardo is getting the boot mid-season if he's not consistently quicker than Tsunoda, which is a stated requirement if he wants the Red Bull seat.

ViaPlay now has the Dutch television rights through the 2019 season, €45mil a year.
What about current F1TV subscribers?

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
So on the shift f1 pod they were talking about the rumours about Alpine being for sale and saying that it seems like if you want the team you have to buy the engine dept too.

Enticing. Buy a shit team and the worst engine on the grid lol

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
So on the shift f1 pod they were talking about the rumours about Alpine being for sale and saying that it seems like if you want the team you have to buy the engine dept too.

Love the Shift F1 guys but they are frequently and fragrantly wrong about things as simple as the starting grid order

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Yea I've seen a few places saying Alpine is for sale BUT they want to continue developing their Renault power unit.

Seems so dumb. You're either in or you're not.

Id like to see a Haas Andretti partnership

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
from what i am able to find on google, it seems viaplay will offer its customers who subscribe to viaplay access to F1 TV Pro itself

seems like nothing happens to F1 TV on its own there. seems we are safe :D
Nothing safe about it, they raised the F1TV Pro price to twice the price it was two months ago and ended yearly subs too for new subscribers. It went from 65 Euro a year to 12 Euro a month. Money grabbing piggery is what it is.

Safe my ass, fuck FOM and Viaplay for doing a literal 200% price hike for the exact same product. It's absolutely abhorrent. Current yearly subs get "only" a 30 Euro price hike for their yearly extension, but that's still batshit pricehikery if I ever saw it.