MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
1) wake up early - probaby wouldn't even do this in competitive seasons honestly
2) wake up and try to avoid radio news spoiling the result and watch on catchup - meh
3) wake up and watch the recording 'as live' - 50/50
4) wake up and watch the recording, skipping build up, watch first few laps, then skip if/when nothing interesting happens - 80%

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
1) wake up early - probaby wouldn't even do this in competitive seasons honestly
2) wake up and try to avoid radio news spoiling the result and watch on catchup - meh
4) wake up and watch the recording, skipping build up, watch first few laps, then skip if/when nothing interesting happens - 80%

Whenever I watch the recording I always do (4), especially these last few seasons. Skip forwards, see if there's any changes to the driver order, skip, skip, check, skip

Oct 28, 2017

I'll probably wake up early (or maybe an hour late) and watch it from the beginning.

And I know first two races haven't been great, but just a friendly reminder that Australia has a tendency to always create great races since it's so on the limit. Don't think there's been a bad race here since like 2015. So I have hope itll be good even if Max will still easily win.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Even when it's a snoozefest there is some unmistakable factor of it being live that I can't shake. Watching a recording just doesn't carry the same stakes for me for whatever reason even though the outcome would be the same whether I watch it live or not.

Raceweek 3 Australia
OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
FIA F1 2024 |OT| We call 'em chazzwazzers! - Raceweek 3 Australia - 22-25 Mar #That'sNotAKnife

It's Raceweek 3 in Australia. Info stolen from https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2024/australia.html

skysports-australian-grand-prix_5806086.jpg

2023-f1-season-after-jeddah-round-2-points-graphic.jpg

Australia_Circuit.png

Lap Record - 1:20.235 Sergio Perez (2023)

2023 pole - Max Verstappen
2022 pole - Charles Leclerc
2021 pole - C. Ovid 19

Last race classification
2023-australian-grand-prix-race-classification-v0-viscwewvffra1.jpg

Last Race
youtu.be

Race Highlights | 2023 Australian Grand Prix

Our race in Melbourne did not disappoint! Catch up with all the best bits from a dramatic race at Albert Park.For more F1® videos, visit https://www.Formula1...

2003 extended highlights
youtu.be

Race Highlights | 2003 Australian Grand Prix | Extended

Watch the Australia 2003 race expanded highlights which was raced on the Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit. Featuring drivers Kimi Räikkönen, Michael Schumacher, ...

Evolution of Albert Park
youtu.be

Evolution Of Racing In Australia, Albert Park Circuit (1996-2024) | Formula 1

See Albert Park Circuit like you’ve never seen it before as we travel through the past 27 years of racing pedigree etched into the tarmac of one of Formula 1...

An hour of mad shit
youtu.be

1 Hour Of INTENSE Australian Moments In Formula 1

Relive decades of intense F1 action in Australia packed into 60 unforgettable minutes. From the shortest race in F1 history in 1991 to Sergio Perez's incredi...

When
Practice 3 -
Countdown Mar 22, 2024 at 9:30 PM

Qualifying -
Countdown Mar 23, 2024 at 1:00 AM

Race -
Countdown Mar 24, 2024 at 12:00 AM

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I had genuinely forgotten Merc were not utter dogshit last year at this race.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
I hate to say it, but Lewis getting out of Merc was the right move. Given his age, it'll be too late for him by the time they figure things out. Ferrari does seem the better positioned to challenge. I have more faith in Zac and co to be competitive than Merc at this point.

Welcome to the new reality. Though it's been on the walls for a while I guess.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to say it, but Lewis getting out of Merc was the right move. Given his age, it'll be too late for him by the time they figure things out. Ferrari does seem the better positioned to challenge. I have more faith in Zac and co to be competitive than Merc at this point.

Welcome to the new reality. Though it's been on the walls for a while I guess.

100%. Merc has no idea what is going on with these regulations. Their entire design and engineering process seems fundamentally flawed. Ferrari at least is holding their own with their car design.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
It says a lot that I literally don't know if Lewis will make it out of Q1 each week - thats BAD for a top team like Mercedes.

Although to be fair George doesn't seem to have any issues getting to Q3.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
He's definitely checked out of this season, that's for sure. I don't blame him.
Gotta say it: I hate this excuse so much.

Saying Lewis is checked out is actually doing him a massive disservice as a professional. It's like you're excusing him for having 0 self-awareness as one of 20 F1 drivers in the world, and the single most successful one on top of that. Stop it. Even when Lewis is underperforming you can tell he's still giving it his all in that car. It'd be inexcusable for me if I ever saw him not giving 100%, which he clearly does. To this day I still see Vettel apologists with the same excuse for his 2014 season. It's silly.

Signed - Alonso fan who's never seen his guy "checked out" while driving his heart out in actual shitboxes for the majority of his career

if this comes off as too aggressive, I apologize, I'm tipsy atm

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
watching this Practice Session at 3am and Quali at 6am.. Is there any good reason they scheduled the race 2 hours earlier than the last few years?
Not going to break my streak of watching every GP for the last 3 decades now though lol

Anyway..So far this could be the close Quali & Race Weekend we have been hoping for. There really doesn't seem to be much difference between the Ferrari's and Verstappen.

Nov 2, 2017
watching this Practice Session at 3am and Quali at 6am.. Is there any good reason they scheduled the race 2 hours earlier than the last few years?

It seems the answer is a combination of daylight savings time across the world. Last year's race started at 3PM local time, same as this year's race, and they really can't move the race any later because that risks starting to lose the daylight if you have another multiple red flag race like last year.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Way over track limits heh

Charles needs a darker visor as his incredible good quali vibes are blinding. Smart.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Max sounds so bored reporting under steer now. Hopefully once this is done he can go challenge himself on the sim

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
sure track evolution is pretty big right now but it sure as hell doesn't look like a straight forward 1-2 for Red Bull today

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
Feel like Hamilton has lost his qualifying edge recently, Russell has consistently been quicker on Saturday

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
Regardless of whether Lewis is performing up to his standards or not right now. I gotta say it really doesn't look like Merc is the team that will be fighting for championships anytime soon so his move to Ferrari will probably be the second best decision of his career after his move to Mercedes..
They obviously lost enough good people to other teams that they are not recognizable as the same team they were in the championship years apart from the figure head that is Toto.
Almost like a preview of what Red Bull could become if everybody but Horner left.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Dogshit car that Merc. Saw the Ham onboard, absolutely no rear grip, especially around the slower corners. So many micro corrections needed.

Need to see Russell onboards as well.