Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
ChatGPT pretend you are Adrian Newey and tell me what's wrong with this CAD drawing of an F1 car - make suggestions how to make it go faster

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Can't remember who it was years ago, Virgin/Marussia maybe, who came with a fully CFD designed car or something 'novel' but obvs went nowhere.

Not quite the same of course, but my Google Fu isn't up to much it seems.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Mercedes to launch '*ambitious' F1 sprint plan with Miami GP upgrades confirmed

v46qLAg.gif

*But likely to suck.

Mercedes to continue to throw shit at the wall in the hope that some of it sticks

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
They're bringing amazing upgrades to Miami. They have no idea what they will do, but the upgrades are top notch.

Oct 30, 2017
Ottawa
Can't remember who it was years ago, Virgin/Marussia maybe, who came with a fully CFD designed car or something 'novel' but obvs went nowhere.

Not quite the same of course, but my Google Fu isn't up to much it seems.

Nick Wirth, formerly of Simtek, was the brains behind Virgin's fully CFD designed car.

I know he was gone from Virgin almost a year before De Villota's accident and long before Bianchi's, but Nick was associated with two of the most tragic teams of the last thirty years.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Have you got a link? Just because people have a H/W sponsor wouldn't necessarily mean they're doing anything more advanced than someone else.

Fact of the matter is there's nothing to stop any team firing up some cloud compute and "AI" models AFAIK.
A lot of speculation of course, but heres the post:

following post from our forum member @ferrarifire, in which he explains (don`t know how much are speculations, rumors, or the plain truth) why Merc team is struggling with the correlations between the simulations and the real world:

"There is a lot of emotional discussion going on here. Have we considered how Ferrari's on-track results have suddenly improved? Simulations, software, edge computing, and AI play a more significant role in car design than before. Ferrari has made strategic investments in these areas for the last two years, starting with the replacement of Spyder with Dynisma and its driver feedback simulator. They've also partnered with Amazon, incorporating edge computing (sending data from the car to the AWS cloud along with simulations). They've recently updated their race strategy software with a new AI model. These strategic moves were made before the cost cap was tactically implemented.
Last year was primarily about understanding the new systems and in the initial stages, Ferrari engineers struggled as there was a lot of new learning. Now they are comfortable with these systems and this is a major reason why Ferrari has managed to catch up with Mercedes and McLaren, even though Ferrari adopted the design quite late. These processes were previously conducted internally at Ferrari and lacked a mature model, as Ferrari relied heavily on track testing data. Ferrari is more optimistic than before because of these investments in tech. Ferrari has always had a strong engine department; it was not a concern. We can say that Ferrari will start challenging Red Bull much better than before. Now all Ferrari needs is a few leaders and engineers to lead and strengthen the existing groups.
Red Bull made these strategic investments at least five to seven years ago. Oracle OCI is one of the main reasons for Red Bull's success, and Horner has mentioned this multiple times in interviews. They had a head start since there was no need for them to focus on engines and they did all the investments in simulations and tech software. We always tag Adrian as the design guru but in reality, he is supported by 100+ engineers in the background with these softwares. There is no denial about his leadership qualities but you can't attribute a team's success to an individual.
Note, Mercedes is struggling for the same reason. Their HPP division uses outdated software and simulations (I can vouch for this as my friend works there), and they won't recover until they update their simulation systems and resolve their on-track correlation issues. Of course, they won't publicly acknowledge this.
Most discussions focus on individuals, but in reality, having the right infrastructure is more critical. It's also important to have a team that understands these systems well because if your design is flawed, everything else will suffer."

Source: viewtopic.php?p=1205399#p1205399

There were some questions after this post which he replied with this post:

"Dont want to go too much in details , In short i have few connections in mercedes hpp , obviously they know about their competitors SWOT more than what is available in public forum . Now more or less ferrari have the required ingredients to success and lets see how it is getting unfolded in the future . This also indirectly answers the question about Lewis switch . f1 racing is a very small closed group and everyone knows where the wind is moving ."

Source: viewtopic.php?p=1205410#p1205410

From my point of view, I`m on the AI and machine learning side and I don`t understand why many deny what he is saying. Firstly I`m sure they didn`t know much about this stuff and more of that are thinking there is a kinda mumbo-jumbo thing. This is the old generation who denies what valuable assets these things are nowadays, considering there will always be some genius like Newey who could lead to which design directions the car should go. I know it's hard to recognize, but they should acknowledge that this is the future. Unfortunately, they don`t know or disregard that machine learning could be filled with all the knowledge available now and could easily surpass in creativity and productivity what a group of people or even a genius can do. That`s why Ferrari is getting rid of that engineer responsible for simulations. More of that, back from the last couple of years and putting pieces together I understand in this context why Newey is overrated now, although not trying to deny or disregard his achievements and contributions to this sport. I mean he is a living legend, a kinda "dinosaur" who in last year's official F1 podcast himself stated that he finds computers & CFD very annoying. Sadly it seems that his time was past now …

Then the second to last post on this page has the info for the upcoming upgrade at Miami:

Oct 28, 2017
German media reporting that Newey's departure from Red Bull will be announced later today.

They are also saying that he apperantly made a deal that allowed him to be released from his contract early.

Sounds insane, but I'm so here for it.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Bernie Ecclestone doesn't like black F1 driver Lewis Hamilton not knowing his place in the team.

Ecclestone insisted he would not have signed Hamilton, claiming Wolff and Mercedes had allowed him to exert too much power within the team.

"Too much of a handful – an unnecessary handful," he said. "He really sort of commands a little at Mercedes.

"Toto has let him be like that, to keep him on board and keep him happy.

But I never had that with the drivers."

Of course, as we all know there are no other drivers in F1 who have any kind of say or opinion on the direction of travel.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
Old man yelling at clouds.
He doesn't like that the drivers are now the star power in F1. They drive the discourse & put bums on seats. Social media & DTS have only amplified this.

"In my day" the drivers were secondary to the team & cars. You would go to races or watch TV to see Ferrari or McLaren or Williams.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Viaplay has exclusive broadcasting rights for the Netherlands, Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland through 2029. Subscribers in the Netherlands also get F1TV Pro at no extra cost

Ziggo reportedly made a higher bid than Viaplay did for the rights in the Netherlands, but as some people already speculated Viaplay's bid won anyway because they offered to also take on the rights for those other countries.

Oct 28, 2017
Viaplay has exclusive broadcasting rights for the Netherlands, Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland through 2029. Subscribers in the Netherlands also get F1TV Pro at no extra cost

Ziggo reportedly made a higher bid than Viaplay did for the rights in the Netherlands, but as some people already speculated Viaplay's bid won anyway because they offered to also take on the rights for those other countries.

Absolutely terribly news if that means I can't just have F1TV as a standalone service here in Denmark.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting listening to the latest missed apex that they are all hearing that the rbpt engines keep popping.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

I am really sorry about the news, but this bit just made me chuckle for a bit:

Max Verstappen, 2023 FIA Formula 1 World Drivers' Champion and Viaplay Ambassador said:

"I am thrilled that Viaplay have made this long-term deal with Formula 1. Just like me, they strive to be the best, so we are looking forward to continuing our successful partnership. It's great to collaborate with Viaplay in bringing my on-track performances to viewers."

Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what Max Verstappen said, lmao.

Anyway, what does it mean for existing F1TV Pro subscribers?

Last edited:

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Anyway, what does it mean for existing F1TV Pro subscribers?

Last thing I read was that F1TV Pro will only be offering a monthly subscription for € 11,90 (or something like that). And a yearly sub for Viaplay is 12,79 (which will give you access to F1TV Pro), so my guess is Viaplay will try to 'steal' those yearly subs from F1TV Pro (like myself).

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
If I lose F1TV in Sweden that might just make me bow out of F1 entirely. No way I'm putting in the €70/month for the sports package.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"I am thrilled that Viaplay have made this long-term deal with Formula 1. Just like me, they strive to be the best, so we are looking forward to continuing our successful partnership. It's great to collaborate with Viaplay in bringing my on-track performances to viewers."

Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what Max Verstappen said, lmao.
The quote didn't start so "Well, of course..." so it's clearly not a Verstappen quote!

empo

Jan 27, 2018
They are calling it exclusive rights though, so that is exactly what it sounds like.
Found this
F1 TV Pro will remain available in the Netherlands and the Nordic countries as a stand-alone product.

I hope it stays like that, I barely watched f1 back when it was held hostage behind a €50 per month sports package and not even the best season ever would be worth that much to me

dakun

Oct 28, 2017

my earliest memories of watching F1 were Schumacher growing in popularity (I'm from Germany) because of his performance in 92-93. So being very young those dark days 30 years ago were pretty much imprinted into my mind as it was the first time i was confronted with death.
Back then i only saw Ratzenberger's death in the news the day before, but saw Senna's crash live. Even at a young age the connection between what i saw about Ratzenberger the evening before and what i saw live with Senna was immediatly there.
It's weird looking back that had we not experienced Ratzenbergers death the day before, even with an unconcious Senna on the TV screens, many people probably wouldn't even think about the possibility of him dying.
But with Ratzenberger's death (and Barrichello's crash) happening so recently "Is Senna dead?" was the first question even i, as a child, could think of when i saw it.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

First the massive F1tv Pro price hike, and now this. I'm bowing out, after my f1 TV sub ends in September I'll just catch the highlight. Fuck this money grabbing bs

Oct 28, 2017
Found this
F1 TV Pro will remain available in the Netherlands and the Nordic countries as a stand-alone product.

I hope it stays like that, I barely watched f1 back when it was held hostage behind a €50 per month sports package and not even the best season ever would be worth that much to me

Let's hope. I really don't want to be giving Viaplay my money.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Let's hope. I really don't want to be giving Viaplay my money.

Just as a PSA: You can very easily just get the subscription via a VPN and Google Pay and then never have to worry about it again, they don't check your IP when watching. Signed: Someone using F1TV without the service being officially available in my country.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
BBC also now reporting that Newey will be able to start a new job early next year.